Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meta Direction

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Re: Meta Direction

Yeah, D+T is mostly going with being faster as a preboard plan. Mother of Runes helps a fair bit here. Selecting flying options instead of ground (Aven Mindcensor over Leonin Arbiter, Serra Avenger over Mirran Crusader, don't cut the Flickerwisps) helps. Sword of Fire and Ice back in the main is a key component as it does extra damage and can force through a ground pounder. Finally, we have a number of (bitter pill) options from the board. Taken as a whole, it is a decent plan. Not great.

RUG on the other hand looks to be in bad shape. I bet that the numbers from November will be the first ever since Tarmo in which RUG is not amongst the very top decks. December should be even moreso as number of players drops.

My hope is that the black decks will load up on the hate, keeping the number of TNNs to a reasonable amount.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

If I had the money and cared to play a competitive deck I'd be on Elves. After watching it at the GP and hearing and reading Julians report, the deck is stupid good. You get to ignore TNN for the most part, and you can theoretically outrace combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

RUG is dead, you're either on True Name Nemesis or /black, or on True Name Nemesis and /black if you think Zealous Persecution is as good of an option as Golgari Charm and Tombstalker. Sword of Fire/Ice is probably better than Umezawa's Jitte right now, especially if you can form Voltron with a Batterskull.

I think I'd be looking at non Storm combo or aggro right now, with all the blue decks running TNN and/or Delver and concentrating on -1/1 sweepers, something like LED Dredge or Affinity could probably tear a whole in the format while everybody plays TNN, anti-TNN etc. and other decks like Goblins and Elves take the SB flack pretty hard.

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

Quote Originally Posted by testing32 View Post
    The best sword is now clearly fire and ice.
    Sword of Feast and Famine is still the best sword
    Sword of Fire and Ice is the best sword if you're NOT running True Name Nemesis

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

FaF is awesome. Seems underplayed. Everyone just wants to be able to attack through a true name right now.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    RUG is dead
    Bwahahaha ... I love the internet. What an absurd statement.

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

Canadian Thresh certainly isn't dead.

More Canadian Thresh lists made Day 2 followed by Death and Taxes at GPDC

There were TWO 13-2 Thresh lists at GPDC.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    If I had the money and cared to play a competitive deck I'd be on Elves. After watching it at the GP and hearing and reading Julians report, the deck is stupid good. You get to ignore TNN for the most part, and you can theoretically outrace combo.
    You don't, as a rule. You're slower than the very fast decks, about as fast as ANT (but without maindeck discard), and probably a bit faster than SnT. The meta slot Elves has is about the same as Shardless, Jund and Nic Fit try to occupy - the ultimate fair deck muncher that happens to be soft to combo. Of course, you munch fair decks super well, having a good matchup against most anything and not being that horridly soft to combo anymore. It's just a stupid good deck though, all told. As long as you can dodge Miracles or your name is Julian Knab.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I dunno guys. TNN looks pretty bad for RUG. I suppose we will see.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    Playing Brainstorm in control is wrong anyways, at least if you're not trying to assemble incorporated combos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post

Uh o, I think Erdvermampfa committed a cardinal sin.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Quote Originally Posted by Tormod View Post
    Canadian Thresh certainly isn't dead.

More Canadian Thresh lists made Day 2 followed by Death and Taxes at GPDC

There were TWO 13-2 Thresh lists at GPDC.
    Making D2 is of little consequence, give it enough time and people are going to realize how badly RUG is positioned right now - people are always slow to let go of their loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    A 3 mana main phase spell that requires UU? I don't get it. How is this back breaking for RUG? Don't they also play lands that make red mana? I'd be more scared of a resolved and protected SFM if I was an internet RUG player.

I played RUG to D2 of DC. I chose RUG b/c of how tuned the list was and I didn't want to bring a brew to a GP. As the new meta has started to firm there is no way I would bring RUG now.

There were also availability problems for TNN at the GP.

All the Vial decks that don't run Deathrite Shaman and True Name Nemesis have to consider their game plan going forward. Currently, people are freaking out about TNN much like when DRS became popular, everyone was jamming DRS into their deck, remember that time?

At least some intelligent people are using their heads, trying to revive Pox. The intention was good, but I have not seen any decent results. The only trend I spot is that WUR Delver with TNN is better than RUG Delver. At some point the number of copies of TNN in a given tournament will be larger than the number of copies of Goyf. That's about where the meta would stabilize.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

The 12th place Pox list was sweet. Mainboard Night of Soul's Betrayal? Yes please.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    I'd be more scared of a resolved and protected SFM if I was an internet RUG player.
    I agree. When a SFM player gets to untap with SFM still alive (after tutoring for Batterskull), that game is nigh unwinnable. Whereas you can race 1-2 TNN with your dudes + Bolts, you cannot race a Batterskull. Now if they have SFM + TNN, then gtfo and kill me already...

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Making D2 is of little consequence, give it enough time and people are going to realize how badly RUG is positioned right now - people are always slow to let go of their loved ones.
    Does that include the people whose "loved ones" are this idea that TNN should be banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Nemesis still doesn't block delvers or burn and can be countered/denied just like any other spell.3 is the new 4 obviously, haven't you heard?;p
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

I've heard all these sob stories before.
    Rest in Peace was supposed to kill RUG
    Deathrite shaman was supposed to kill RUG
    Abrupt decay was supposed to kill RUG
    and now True Name Nemesis is supposed to kill RUG?

Are you saying that tempo is dead?
    Are you saying a resolve True-Name equals GG?
    You can't kill tempo, because its a STRATEGY.

TWO RUG decks went 13-2 as well to finish top 16 and win themselves a invite to PTBNG, is that of any consequence?
    What is of no consequence is making prediction about the future based on conjecture.

RUG is still the top deck in terms of having most high placing finishes since the release of C13. This is including the early tournaments in Europe/Eternal Weekend where there might have been TNN supply issues.

I'll be writing a metagame analysis article that should be up in a week or so, so stay tuned!

Thread Information