Thread: [SCD] Restore

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

[SCD] Restore

What is the general consensus on this card? Obviously people say "loam is better" or whatever, but what about in a deck that is attempting to ramp? It's a conditional rampant growth I suppose, but I was thinking of something like a ramp control shell, maybe somewhat similar to Nic Fit, that could use this, and unlike Rampant Growth, late game this can actually get back something like a wasteland or something. Or as a tempo card maybe? It allows you on the draw to go T1 DRS, T2 wasteland your opponent, restore and waste your opponent. On the draw you are now on land DRS and your opponent is on 0 lands. It feels like the card is very solid.

[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Megadeus; 11-28-2013 at 11:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Re: [SCD] Restore

I really liked the card at first, but I think it's worse than Ghost Quarter in tempo and worse than Loam in control decks.

Doesn't mean it's not worth trying though. Maybe as a 5th Loam-type card?

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

It looks interesting in that it doesn't target a player and you can snatch the land from any yard. For manaramp though, isn't Explore better? And for control recursion, isn't Loam better?

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Explore is a decent comparison. Both are somewhat situational ramp spells. Not being able to abuse your opponents yard is no fun though which is half the fun!
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

what about wasteland on turn 2 or 3, followed by this baby to blow up two lands?

for 1 more mana (and all colorless) we have Crucible of Worlds.. seems just better

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

At , it would have been (too) good. But for two mana, it's kinda underwhelming for Legacy.

For its cost, it competes directely with LftL and as a flexible ramp spell, GSZ is simply better. And neither of said cards gets completely wrecked by an opposing T1 DRS.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Too many situationally better cards. Loam can get you multiple cards, even if it doesn't ramp, and recure. Explore is comparable, but not really a good card imho. Crucible is 3 mana, but permanent and can strip-lock ppl and protect you from strip effects. I'm not sure why i'd want to play this over other options honestly.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I think explore is the most comparable card. Loam and crucible are both better CA engines inn the long run, but this card, like explore, is actually ramping you and giving you +1 CA (kind of). I think the ramp aspect could be somewhat important

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

With fetchlands, cycling lands and other utility lands, isn't it often much better than Explore, though?

At the least I could see a deck dicking around with Restore, Loam, Crop Rotation, and daring DRS to give a fuck while it does so. As long as people are espousing the virtue of Toxic Deluge and Golgari Charm and other -X/-X effects in the face of our new lovehate fish TNN, what's a durdly 1/2 worth when you just cackle and go stupid with BG land savagery? Screw all non-believers; ramp is Civilization!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

The next time you open a fringe SCD you should link the card....

Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Humphrey, probably a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    With fetchlands, cycling lands and other utility lands, isn't it often much better than Explore, though?

At the least I could see a deck dicking around with Restore, Loam, Crop Rotation, and daring DRS to give a fuck while it does so. As long as people are espousing the virtue of Toxic Deluge and Golgari Charm and other -X/-X effects in the face of our new lovehate fish TNN, what's a durdly 1/2 worth when you just cackle and go stupid with BG land savagery? Screw all non-believers; ramp is Civilization!
    I think the card could be played.

I do think that Explore might be better in a lot of cases, but I think Explore wants you to run a bit higher of a land count to get the ramp off of it, while this card is fine as long as your fetch count is decent, and even if not, if your opponent has matching fetches then you can even steal from them. And wastelands, or Wasted Maze of Iths. Idk.

I have an experimental "Rockish" list:

4 DRS
    2 Thrun

4 Thoughtseize
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Restore
    2 Toxic Deluge
    3 Disfigure

3 Liliana of the Veil (Somewhat synergistic!)
    2 Garruk Primal Hunter

Obviously not a complete deck, but I'm trying to figure out what else I want here. Alternatively my friend was suggesting a Tempo Dark Depths deck. Im not sure what his idea for a list was, but sounded interesting.

Seems weak to all the GY hate that's running around.

Could be fun with landfall and fetches:
    Land -> Steppe Lynx / Hedron Crab
    Fetchland -> Land -> Restore -> Fetchland -> Land

Thread Information