Page 308 of 313 FirstFirst ... 208258298304305306307308309310311312 ... LastLast
Results 6,141 to 6,160 of 6252

Thread: [Deck] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

Re: [Deck] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    Nice line wonderpreaux. I have only played DP on occasion. I like some of the interactions like this where it nets +1 mana with LED and PiF lines but I still prefer GT if I played 4+

On a side note, if your opponent plays mtn pass, do you play out your LP with your hand? I probably would.
    That’s an interesting question. They lead on Mire > Pass, so I was actually half-bracing to lose to Entomb and wanted to save info. Against Mountain, though, I think you’d play out Petal.

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

Re: [DTB?] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

Congrats to Cyrus for making the finals at EW! Very impressive playing / patience with the deck as usual.

(List link below)
    http://www.cardtitan.com/legacy

I've been hanging out to watch the finals of this all week, tomorrow is Saturday so I'll finally have some time to :)

I hope this doesn't sound like too strange a question, but is Warping Wail ever worth playing around against Eldrazi if you know the player is running it?
    I ran into an interesting situation today G3 against an eldrazi opponent; he ended up countering my Infernal Tutor with it and winning him the game.

My hand, at the time, was (on T3 with 3 lands in play; he was on the play)
    Lotus Petal
    Lotus Petal
    LED
    Infernal Tutor
    Infernal Tutor
    Cabal Ritual
    Hurkyl's Recall

He was showing an Eldrazi Mimic and a Cavern of Souls with 5(?) cards in hand. I had Thoughtseized him my T1, so I knew he was pretty heavy on lands (I know he had at least one other cavern and another land), and not too many threats. He had drawn the Warping Wail and SSG after, apparently.
    I might have went on an aggressive line (I ended up casting an IT for another Cabal Ritual, then laying out the petals, LED, Hurkyl for storm, then of course he countered the second IT for the win; he had the mana off SSG.

Is this that bad line of a play at the time? I guess based on the info I had I could have waited some turns in reality but maybe I just got caught up in the moment.

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

Quote Originally Posted by niv View Post
    I hope this doesn't sound like too strange a question, but is Warping Wail ever worth playing around against Eldrazi if you know the player is running it?
    Depends, but most often not since you want to limit their draw steps. In your case, maybe you could have played the led and waited since they can draw tns and you have repetitive tutors and recall. Likely they are drawing lands or ww if they are not playing threats. It's close though and another reason the MU is not the best.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    Depends, but most often not since you want to limit their draw steps.
    Basically this in the vast majority of situations. The longer the game goes, the more likely he is to hit though-knot or other disruption. Even just drawing smasher can be a problem if it takes you off Ad Naus

There's some matchups where realistically, if you can jam, you should. This is one of them. To follow on from this, they only really play 2 ww from memory, so odds of them having it are small

I ran into an interesting situation today G3 against an eldrazi opponent; he ended up countering my Infernal Tutor with it and winning him the game.

My hand, at the time, was (on T3 with 3 lands in play; he was on the play)
    Lotus Petal
    Lotus Petal
    LED
    Infernal Tutor
    Infernal Tutor
    Cabal Ritual
    Hurkyl's Recall

He was showing an Eldrazi Mimic and a Cavern of Souls with 5(?) cards in hand. I had Thoughtseized him my T1, so I knew he was pretty heavy on lands (I know he had at least one other cavern and another land), and not too many threats. He had drawn the Warping Wail and SSG after, apparently.
    I might have went on an aggressive line (I ended up casting an IT for another Cabal Ritual, then laying out the petals, LED, Hurkyl for storm, then of course he countered the second IT for the win; he had the mana off SSG.

Is this that bad line of a play at the time? I guess based on the info I had I could have waited some turns in reality but maybe I just got caught up in the moment.

I wouldn't wait, not many play WW some dont even play SSG, they did not have it T1, they have 1 mana available, it's so unlikely it's not worth playing around and first of all there isn't much to play towards anyway their amount of problematic topdecks > available discard, I'd play around Faerie and Ratchet Bomb before even considering WW
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post

Thanks for the replies. I figured it generally isn't worth playing around, but I must admit I was pretty salty he just kinda 'had it' at the time; I was really worried he would just slam a TKS or something if I waited too long -- I guess that wouldn't be TOO bad in that situation if I lay LED early but it tends to feel like they have too many draws that just destroy us

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Thanks for the replies. I figured it generally isn't worth playing around, but I must admit I was pretty salty he just kinda 'had it' at the time; I was really worried he would just slam a TKS or something if I waited too long . . . it tends to feel like they have too many draws that just destroy us
    Yep; Eldrazi just has it pretty much every time they don't lead with a sol land into a Mimic. Bad matchup is bad. I still prefer fighting Reanimator over Eldrazi.

EDIT: For that matter, I'd prefer pretty much any Chalice matchup over Eldrazi. They get double the sol lands and a "two-drop" that clocks and Thoughtseizes.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Hey folks,

Tomorrow night I'll be doing an ANT stream with Cyrus CG. I'll be starting at ~9:00 PM EST. Link. I hope to see many of you there, but you if can't catch it live, everything will end up on Thraben University's Youtube page.

-Phil Gallagher

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    Hey folks,

Tomorrow night I'll be doing an ANT stream with Cyrus CG. I'll be starting at ~9:00 PM EST. Link. I hope to see many of you there, but you if can't catch it live, everything will end up on Thraben University's Youtube page.

-Phil Gallagher
    Great

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by medea_ View Post
    hey folks,

tomorrow night i'll be doing an ant stream with cyrus cg. I'll be starting at ~9:00 pm est. link. i hope to see many of you there, but you if can't catch it live, everything will end up on thraben university's youtube page.

-phil gallagher
    Noice!
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub

Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?

If you missed it live, here's the link directly to the video. It was a pretty entertaining evening.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    It was a pretty entertaining evening.
    YOU GOT THE TOUCH! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A52--FKUQgU

Omae wa mou shindeiru

Hey all, took down the team SCG Open in Vegas last weekend. Was nice to take one down after the heartbreaking loss in the finals of EW. List was pretty similar. https://mtgtop8.com/event?e=20578&d=335408&f=LE (-1 Chain, +1 Push).

I think that Chain is probably better, and I could be convinced to move 8th Discard main to fit a 2nd Xantid Swarm in the sideboard.

Quote Originally Posted by CyrusCG View Post
    Hey all, took down the team SCG Open in Vegas last weekend. Was nice to take one down after the heartbreaking loss in the finals of EW. List was pretty similar. https://mtgtop8.com/event?e=20578&d=335408&f=LE (-1 Chain, +1 Push).

I think that Chain is probably better, and I could be convinced to move 8th Discard main to fit a 2nd Xantid Swarm in the sideboard.
    Congrats! What a streak

Aug 2015
    The woods again

How often are you bringing in Swarm, and how often is it performing better than a discard? I ask primarily because I remember your saying at one point (on a stream, I think) that a big advantage you found in Swarm was that it psyched people into keeping removal post-board, even if you didn't 'board in the Swarm.

Obviously you're a lot better at Storm than I am, but I've never liked the card in this deck; if they have countermagic, it does nothing, and if they don't, it does nothing.

Omae wa mou shindeiru

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    How often are you bringing in Swarm, and how often is it performing better than a discard?... if they have countermagic, it does nothing, and if they don't, it does nothing.
    I bring in Swarm against two types of decks: blue combo decks and blue Chalice decks. Sneak and Show, UB Reanimator, Manaless Dredge, High Tide and Infect are the blue combo decks while Merfolk and Tezzerator are the blue Chalice decks.

It is better than discard against the blue based combo decks because it allows you to attack their combo rather than their countermagic. In addition, you don't have the luxury of saving your discard spells for your combo turn against these decks as you need to disrupt them early so you don't die. Xantid allows you to stop all future draws of countermagic especially off of a Griselbrand or Time Spiral draw 7.

It is better than discard against blue Chalice decks because you can play it on turn 1 under a Chalice and it will allow you to remove the Chalice in the future or combo off without a discard spell.

I only play 1 because it is not my plan against fair-blue decks. The threat of having it forces them to leave in removal, and so it still serves a role, but for that reason I don't like playing more than 1.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Thanks a lot for the response, CyrusCG!

[Xantid Swarm] is better than discard against the blue based combo decks because it allows you to attack their combo rather than their countermagic.
    Do you mean that you can use the discards against their combo and use Xantid Swarm against their disruption when you're comboing off? Just making sure I understand what you meant by that. Totally get what you said afterward about fighting stuff like Griselbrand.

It is better than discard against blue Chalice decks because you can play it on turn 1 under a Chalice and it will allow you to remove the Chalice in the future or combo off without a discard spell.
    Again, just asking for clarification: do you mean that you can play a T1 Xantid Swarm, then use it to stop them from playing, say, Warping Wail or Force against your own removal (targeting their artifacts) or your combo during your turn?

Thanks again for the response!

Omae wa mou shindeiru

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    Thanks a lot for the response, CyrusCG!
    No problem!
    Do you mean that you can use the discards against their combo and use Xantid Swarm against their disruption when you're comboing off? Just making sure I understand what you meant by that. Totally get what you said afterward about fighting stuff like Griselbrand.
    Yeah exactly.
    Again, just asking for clarification: do you mean that you can play a T1 Xantid Swarm, then use it to stop them from playing, say, Warping Wail or Force against your own removal (targeting their artifacts) or your combo during your turn?
    Yeah. It can be hard to beat a Force of Will from these decks because Chalice of the Void turns off your discard spells. Xantid Swarm allows you to turn off Force of Will for the rest of the game so that you can cast an answer to Chalice through a Force or combo off without discarding it.
    Thanks again for the response!
    Thanks for keeping this forum alive!

Thread Information