Page 189 of 313 FirstFirst ... 89139179185186187188189190191192193199239289 ... LastLast
Results 3,761 to 3,780 of 6252

Thread: [Deck] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

Re: [DTB] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    Because Elves seems to be playing Ruric Thar over Gaddock Teeg lately, maybe Deathmark is better than Disfigure?
    Or maybe Chain is still just the best card for that slot.
    Don't mind me, i'm just writing about Pauper these days: theweeklywars.wordpress.com

deckstats.net archive

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Alexander View Post
    Or maybe Chain is still just the best card for that slot.
    I'd considered running Perish for a bit in order to deal with [green]ball decks, but that wouldn't help deal with a Craterhoof because Perish is a sorcery, and three mana's too much. I'm inclined to agree with you, especially because Elves doesn't have Mom to stop point-kills/bounce.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

If you cut Disfigure for Chain, are you bringing in Chain against Grixis or are you just letting them have their Deathrite?
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

I consider Empty to be the best plan against Grixis. If they have everything, they have everything. Two copies of Disfigure don't change that.
    Don't mind me, i'm just writing about Pauper these days: theweeklywars.wordpress.com

deckstats.net archive

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Alexander View Post
    I consider Empty to be the best plan against Grixis. If they have everything, they have everything. Two copies of Disfigure don't change that.
    Agreed, Grixis is a fantastic matchup if you have Empty in your deck, and I wouldn't waste slots killing Deathrite. The only way they can beat you other than you just drawing a really unlucky hand is a good Probe/Therapy draw against a hand that is weak to Probe/Therapy. Both the PiFs and Empty are great in this matchup, and I don't like diluting the deck.

I actually tested Disfigures at one point in 2013. They were not bad, but in the end they wasted valuable SB slots for me. I would consider playing them only if Shardless splashing white became the absolute #1 deck to beat.

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Couple of more videos. I've been trying hard to get some "live" matches in, but it's just been impossible with my 4-week old son. With these already-played matches I can just leave the computer when he starts crying and clear it out in editing

But anyway, hope you enjoy:

https://youtu.be/qLL6EJUCzNs

https://youtu.be/KC-NVJcDFkI

Quote Originally Posted by nevilshute View Post
    Couple of more videos. I've been trying hard to get some "live" matches in, but it's just been impossible with my 4-week old son. With these already-played matches I can just leave the computer when he starts crying and clear it out in editing

But anyway, hope you enjoy:

https://youtu.be/qLL6EJUCzNs

https://youtu.be/KC-NVJcDFkI
    Thanks for the vids! I think the prerecorded format is good, it shorter, the commentary is more thought through, but it's probably more timeconsuming for you with the rewatching/editing...

btw. I also think it'd be worth to include losing vids (if have some ;) if those have some interesting scenarios in it

https://youtu.be/qLL6EJUCzNs?t=6m33s
    I don't like this much, because you can get Wasted out of B and the best plan here is Duress into xyz ->IT PIF EtW anyway as it gives more tokens and is easily lethal drawing more mana/GP or some interaction for 20 gobbos or ToA itself, the Volc has some sense if you wanted to utilize the Therapy with EtW into kill, but that's a corner case scenario which expect heavier resistance and either a winmore or unlikely in the context... therefore I don't like the IT for DR in the combo turn .. it'd be interesting to figure out whether EtW or a PIF+cantrip lottery gives you more %

EDIT - assuming Opp is is like 55%spells at this point, so roughly - double bolt, BS, cantrip -> Bolt+flip next turn kill you, so I guess the EtW+BS line is like 25-35%, likely more with chances to cantrip - IT, or IT ftw.

run a quick simulation - assuming PIF line DR-IT-LED = 4U, B floating - Preordain, Ponder, BS

~win by EtW for 22+ discarding bolt - 13/20
    win by ToA - 5/20
    loss - 2/20

I'm a bit surprised, would guess in 70% range

https://youtu.be/qLL6EJUCzNs?t=23m37s

I think it's worth keeping, you have him dead if doesn't Fluster DR1 (he kind of screwed this G1) with ramp into TOA, IT->PIF/2nd ToA

ANT vs. ANT

I don't like Opponents play at all...

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

https://youtu.be/qLL6EJUCzNs?t=546

At this point, I think you have to name bolt. It makes them having to flip Delver this turn or die. If they don't, they are a turn too short.

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Thanks a lot for watching and for the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    Thanks for the vids! I think the prerecorded format is good, it shorter, the commentary is more thought through, but it's probably more timeconsuming for you with the rewatching/editing...

btw. I also think it'd be worth to include losing vids (if have some ;) if those have some interesting scenarios in it

https://youtu.be/qLL6EJUCzNs?t=6m33s
    I don't like this much, because you can get Wasted out of B and the best plan here is Duress into xyz ->IT PIF EtW anyway as it gives more tokens and is easily lethal drawing more mana/GP or some interaction for 20 gobbos or ToA itself, the Volc has some sense if you wanted to utilize the Therapy with EtW into kill, but that's a corner case scenario which expect heavier resistance and either a winmore or unlikely in the context... therefore I don't like the IT for DR in the combo turn .. it'd be interesting to figure out whether EtW or a PIF+cantrip lottery gives you more %

EDIT - assuming Opp is is like 55%spells at this point, so roughly - double bolt, BS, cantrip -> Bolt+flip next turn kill you, so I guess the EtW+BS line is like 25-35%, likely more with chances to cantrip - IT, or IT ftw.

run a quick simulation - assuming PIF line DR-IT-LED = 4U, B floating - Preordain, Ponder, BS

~win by EtW for 22+ discarding bolt - 13/20
    win by ToA - 5/20
    loss - 2/20

I'm a bit surprised, would guess in 70% range

https://youtu.be/qLL6EJUCzNs?t=23m37s

I think it's worth keeping, you have him dead if doesn't Fluster DR1 (he kind of screwed this G1) with ramp into TOA, IT->PIF/2nd ToA

ANT vs. ANT

I don't like Opponents play at all...
    I never lose! In all seriousness though that's why I'd much rather record "live". I find my motivation for sitting down and doing commentary on a match I lost is somehow hard to summon. Unless there is some clear cut very interesting scenario. Having said that I have done it in the past and will do it again. But yeah, I hope to get to do more commentating during actual matches.

Btw I didn't consider going over the top of that Flusterstorm (if he doesn't fluster the first DR) that's a really strong line that I think I would do if I was in that situation again.

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    https://youtu.be/qLL6EJUCzNs?t=546

At this point, I think you have to name bolt. It makes them having to flip Delver this turn or die. If they don't, they are a turn too short.
    Yeah I'm beginning to feel that way too.

Thanks a lot for watching and for the comments!

I never lose! In all seriousness though that's why I'd much rather record "live". I find my motivation for sitting down and doing commentary on a match I lost is somehow hard to summon. Unless there is some clear cut very interesting scenario. Having said that I have done it in the past and will do it again. But yeah, I hope to get to do more commentating during actual matches.

Btw I didn't consider going over the top of that Flusterstorm (if he doesn't fluster the first DR) that's a really strong line that I think I would do if I was in that situation again.
    We all do ;) but the good about losing is there is often something to learn... I understand, your winning motivation is still awesome, I'd struggle to do so. For me the vids are really interesting because you play similar lists to mine in a similar way, since Max ceased to stream I don't know any Storm dedicated content... As my Mtg fix I'm following 10-20 streams and sites and fish for Storm matches, all I get is 1/5 worth watching at best and have to go through stuff like P1 - T1 CoV 0, P2 - go for it T1 with LED... so it's a delight when you post something...

Yeah I'm beginning to feel that way too.
    I'm not sure about that, when I was watching the vid Bolt would be my instinct naming, but I was thinking about your choice and believe it's a good one in the context of what you were trying to do, did not pan out at this instance but Opp has to have some combination of Mongooses, Bolts, Goyfs, Brainstorms and Ponders in hand (less likely Forked bolt, Dismember), out of all those cards BS makes it the most likely for him to win (having you dead with Delvers while having chances to further disrupt you), is it less likely that he has it according to his plays? Maybe a little bit... if he has the Bolt any flip will do... hard to say

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    I'm not sure about that, when I was watching the vid Bolt would be my instinct naming, but I was thinking about your choice and believe it's a good one in the context of what you were trying to do, did not pan out at this instance but Opp has to have some combination of Mongooses, Bolts, Goyfs, Brainstorms and Ponders in hand (less likely Forked bolt, Dismember), out of all those cards BS makes it the most likely for him to win (having you dead with Delvers while having chances to further disrupt you), is it less likely that he has it according to his plays? Maybe a little bit... if he has the Bolt any flip will do... hard to say
    Main point for naming bolt was basically that one brainstorm had already passed. If he had Bs, there was a high change, I think, of him wanting to brainstorm in order to be able to force a spell rather than spell pierce it, meaning it'd have to be either ponder/bolt, I think.

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

What do u guys think about young pyro in sb? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    Main point for naming bolt was basically that one brainstorm had already passed. If he had Bs, there was a high change, I think, of him wanting to brainstorm in order to be able to force a spell rather than spell pierce it, meaning it'd have to be either ponder/bolt, I think.
    What do you mean, there is only a Ponder in the yard... but it would make more sense to let the Duress resolve rather than SP it if he had the BS, he already let a DR pass when he could have SPed (to bluff FoW, probably)

M1G1 interesting, I like it... btw. why keep 2ToA? and I guess you wanted to board the 2nd SDT

M2G1 I love how he stops the Remora after you present the perfect Threshold manabase, the Jace play, just, well... G2 I'd have GPed because you can go and they play CS (maybe CB) or cast what you topdeck

thanks for 2 short bedtime stories... opponents do not seem to be very challenging on the single queue for easy dreaming =D

Quote Originally Posted by fluuu View Post
    I don't like - Miracles usualy expect it, I don't see much use outside of that, also causes weird G3, suboptimal commitment of resources and it's hard to keep secret at smaller tournaments

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by fluuu View Post
    I kicked around the idea for a while, but I feel like it's slower than our other sb win-cons (Empty and/or AdN) and it can't keep pace with Mentor (FYI, someone tried Mentors not too long ago and it didn't go very well).

I liked the idea that it can start popping out dudes against Miracles or other matchups in which we're likely to get half our gas countered, but Miracles has plenty of fixes for it anyway and it doesn't hit as quickly as Empty.

Don't get me wrong: I love the card, but I don't think it's our best bet because we're not running much countermagic. Pyro really shines when he's got backup, and that's something we can't really afford to give.

Mar 2010
    Amsterdam

Played some Legacy for the first time in over a month today (2 DP/1 EtW/1 SDT/6 Discard/1 Preordain main, nothing too fancy SB).

Round-1: 4c Delver 2-0 (As it goes..)
    Round-2: Pox 2-0 (He didn't draw enough hate, so was fairly simple.)
    Round-3: Sneak & Show 2-1 (Lost a game to Leyline without outs, hadn't seen it for a while. A pretty interesting scenario game-1: He emrakul'd my face, and then a few turns passed before I found another land. I had DR,CR,LED,IT,Duress or something and my ritual resolved (his mistake), he then pierced my Duress with FoW,Blank (another mistake, he played an unknown land rather than this one),Unknown in his hand. I opted to go for the kill rather than discarding his fow and giving him a topdeck for the win. Turned out to be correct; the unknown card was a petal.)
    Round-4 & 5: ID's
    QF: Reanimate 2-1 (I make tokens after he bins Iona g1. He destroys me g2. He bricks on a reanimation spell in 4 draws or so g3.)
    SF: Dark Maverick 0-2 (Teeg destroys me, I should mulligan better against these kind of decks.)

Nice vids btw, Martin :).
    37th GP Ams'11 | 80th GP Stras '13 | 5th BoM Paris '13 | 12th GP Lille '15

Oct 2013
    Georgia

Went 3-1 in last night's MTGO Daily and I have a thought about Burn based on a game from last night. We're in Game 3 and he has a Pillar in play. He suspends two Rift Bolt and passes. I do the math and the best I can do on my turn is Tendrils him down to 6 and then his Bolts come off suspend bringing him to 2, which puts him under a lock from his own pillar and I just kicked back and waited for my PiF>Tendrils for the win.

I run a 2nd Tendrils in my SB for Miracles, but I wonder if it'd be an option vs Burn, too. Mini tendrils and then let them get locked by their own Eidolon/Pillar. I have to admit, I was extremely satisfied at how he died lol. I'm not a fan of Burn.

For those interested, I ran 1 Ad Nauseam/1 PiF/1 Tendrils/ 1 Grim Tutor (testing a lot w this trying to make a decision vs DP) I also run Rain of Filth. 15 Lands. I will say I did have a game where if Grim was DP I couldn't have gone...

W vs Burn
    W vs D&T (thank you Turn 1 Ad Nauseam win and T2 12 Goblins)
    W vs Aggro Loam
    L vs Hex Depths (I played like a clown this round)

Relatively new storm player here. Looking to start playing them at the SCGs in the northeast. I have been fine as far as seeing the lines, and playing around disruption thus far. My real issue is with sideboarding (I apologize I know this is a common question) and I am working through my matchups with my testing group. In general, since this is such a lean combo deck how many cards are you guys looking to board in most matchups? I'd guess around 5 not counting the tropical island? Are there any matchups where you bring in more, if so what are they? Trying to finalize my board plans going into SCG Philly

Quote Originally Posted by Mattincognito View Post
    Relatively new storm player here. Looking to start playing them at the SCGs in the northeast. I have been fine as far as seeing the lines, and playing around disruption thus far. My real issue is with sideboarding (I apologize I know this is a common question) and I am working through my matchups with my testing group. In general, since this is such a lean combo deck how many cards are you guys looking to board in most matchups? I'd guess around 5 not counting the tropical island? Are there any matchups where you bring in more, if so what are they? Trying to finalize my board plans going into SCG Philly
    My approach is to never look at it as "how many cards do I generally board in," but rather, what can I replace in my maindeck without sacrificing the consistency of the combo while also adding enough answers to my opponent's likely post-SB answers? For me the maindeck flex slots include my 7 discard, my 2nd maindeck Past in Flames, sometimes the maindeck Empty the Warrens, and the second basic Island. If you run Preordains I think those are options as well, but I don't run any Preordains. Some people board out Lotus Petals, but I haven't found any matchups where I want to board out a Petal (my personal preference).

To give you random examples from my SBing plan:

Death and Taxes:
    +2 Massacre, +3 Chain of Vapor, +2 Thoughtseize, +1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    -4 Duress, -3 Cabal Therapy, -1 Past in Flames (the 2nd in my maindeck)

RUG Delver:
    +1 Inquisition of Kozilek (8th discard spell)
    -1 Past in Flames (the 2nd in my maindeck)

Note that I run 6 tutors, Empty the Warrens maindeck, and no Ad Nauseam.

Also note that in one of these matchups I am boarding in 8 cards, and in the other I am boarding in only 1. Generally you will find that you need to board in more cards against decks with permanent-based hate and fewer cards against tempo decks relying heavily on countermagic. Do not be tempted to feel like you need to always board in a certain number of cards against decks, and I recommend you leave your Tropical Islands and green cards in the SB against tempo decks with Wasteland.

Good luck learning this sweet deck, and welcome to one of the most fun archetype communities on The Source!

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Patrunkenphat7 View Post
    My approach is to never look at it as "how many cards do I generally board in," but rather, what can I replace in my maindeck without sacrificing the consistency of the combo while also adding enough answers to my opponent's likely post-SB answers? For me the maindeck flex slots include my 7 discard, my 2nd maindeck Past in Flames, sometimes the maindeck Empty the Warrens, and the second basic Island. If you run Preordains I think those are options as well, but I don't run any Preordains. Some people board out Lotus Petals, but I haven't found any matchups where I want to board out a Petal (my personal preference).

To give you random examples from my SBing plan:

Death and Taxes:
    +2 Massacre, +3 Chain of Vapor, +2 Thoughtseize, +1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    -4 Duress, -3 Cabal Therapy, -1 Past in Flames (the 2nd in my maindeck)

RUG Delver:
    +1 Inquisition of Kozilek (8th discard spell)
    -1 Past in Flames (the 2nd in my maindeck)

Note that I run 6 tutors, Empty the Warrens maindeck, and no Ad Nauseam.

Also note that in one of these matchups I am boarding in 8 cards, and in the other I am boarding in only 1. Generally you will find that you need to board in more cards against decks with permanent-based hate and fewer cards against tempo decks relying heavily on countermagic. Do not be tempted to feel like you need to always board in a certain number of cards against decks, and I recommend you leave your Tropical Islands and green cards in the SB against tempo decks with Wasteland.

Good luck learning this sweet deck, and welcome to one of the most fun archetype communities on The Source!
    Just curious about you boarding out the 2nd PiF vs RUG delver? It remains incredibly strong against them and they have a very limited amount of ways to fight the yard (usually 1-2 cards after board)

Thread Information