Page 164 of 313 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168174214264 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,280 of 6252

Thread: [Deck] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

Re: [DTB] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

you should think about becoming a better player rather than renaming shit everytime a card changes... now there is 8 ball, tds, grinding station, VED, DDFT, SI, TES, ANT for DR based storm "types" someone mercifully deleted vant, pift, pant and i forgot the rest... whats next? CRS (sounds like a news channel), tits (would love if new cool deck), pint (prefer to drink in litres), epic veterant DDDPPT burning storm ball... ant just live with it, changin the old thread was enough insolence for this decade and probably the only chance to change it... if someone doesn't know and can't figure it out from the thread he shouldn't be there probably...

Legacy deck names has always been abysmal, so it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by L10 View Post
    Legacy deck names has always been abysmal, so it's fine.
    I feel the exact opposite
    until scg tried to normalize the nomenclature things were just fine, creator names the deck and I'm much more happy to have a Crime city (deck with specific setup) and BURG (a deck with distinct genesys) rather than patriot/jeskai whatever nonsense /Xc delver mixup, after years you can still tell where the deck came from (like Ant or Canadian threshold) renaming it to Pift and RUG delver creates more costs and confusion than seemingly steeper learning curve for a beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    renaming it to Pift and RUG delver creates more costs and confusion than seemingly steeper learning curve for a beginner
    As a beginner I couldn't agree more. I've known exactly what ANT was for a long time, but I kept seeing posts about "Grinding Station" and took me way too long to figure out that it was it was.

Though partially that was due to Grinding Station not being in any of the decklists, which I assumed it would be. So there's potential that if Ad Nauseam ever gets removed from the 75 entirely, it could be confusing for someone new to the deck.
    Last edited by aegisd; 09-04-2015 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Edited for typo

I actually agree with you, Slosh. I don't think our statements are opposites. But I think Legacy deck names are abysmal because a) it does tell you anything upfront (Maverick? Spanish Inquisition?) or b) too generic (Xyz Delver). I'd rather keep the deck name ANT, even if PiFT is probably more accurate. CRS is not as accurate because it can be also mistaken for other storm decks, like SI.

Mar 2010
    Amsterdam

I actually agree with you, Slosh. I don't think our statements are opposites. But I think Legacy deck names are abysmal because a) it does tell you anything upfront (Maverick? Spanish Inquisition?) or b) too generic (Xyz Delver). I'd rather keep the deck name ANT, even if PiFT is probably more accurate. CRS is not as accurate because it can be also mistaken for other storm decks, like SI.
    I like the silly old decknames with a story. Yes, decknames such as Cheerios, Death & Taxes, Spanish Inquisition, Tin Fins, Full English Breakfast, Maverick, Nic Fit, Team America, Team Italia, and Solidarity don't make a ton of sense, but they somehow fit Legacy culture much better to me than GW (Selesnya..) Midrange.

However, I can also live with descriptive names such as RUG Delver (not Temur? Delver though..) over Canadian Threshold if people insist.
    37th GP Ams'11 | 80th GP Stras '13 | 5th BoM Paris '13 | 12th GP Lille '15

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by JamieW89 View Post
    I like the silly old decknames with a story. Yes, decknames such as Cheerios, Death & Taxes, Spanish Inquisition, Tin Fins, Full English Breakfast, Maverick, Nic Fit, Team America, Team Italia, and Solidarity don't make a ton of sense, but they somehow fit Legacy culture much better to me than GW (Selesnya..) Midrange.

However, I can also live with descriptive names such as RUG Delver (not Temur? Delver though..) over Canadian Threshold if people insist.
    Maybe it's just me, but if someone says "Maverick" i know that he/she is talking about a GWx deck with manadorks, Plows, Hatebears and fat beaters like KotR/SFM/Goyf. "Selesnya Midrange" can be anything from a discard-less TheRock (right the next Problem...) to GW Astral Slide
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but if someone says "Maverick" i know that he/she is talking about a GWx deck with manadorks, Plows, Hatebears and fat beaters like KotR/SFM/Goyf. "Selesnya Midrange" can be anything from a discard-less TheRock (right the next Problem...) to GW Astral Slide
    This is exactly my feeling on the topic of "silly names". One of my favorite examples continuing to be "Quick 'n' Toast". Sometimes people do take it a bit far and will use any excuse to get their great and awesome silly name idea slapped on a deck primer, but many other silly names say more about the deck than a legitimate name ever could. Sure, it requires a basic grasp of the format to make sense of, but at least they provide a service to the veterans whereas the nondescriptive "Midrange" is of use to absolutely no one. I'm still waiting for the day when Death and Taxes gets referred to as White Weenies.

Anyway, unless you want to go the SCG route with something bland and shit like just "Storm", I don't see "ANT" going anywhere. It just makes for too good of a colloquial acronym.

Cabal Minion
    Dec 2012
    Victoria, BC, Canada

Copy of my quick tournament report for you here:

3 Tendrils of Agony
    2 Past in Flames
    4 Infernal Tutor
    1 Grim Tutor
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Preordain
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Cabal Therapy
    3 Duress
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    SB: 1 Ad Nauseam
    SB: 2 Extirpate
    SB: 2 Chain of Vapor
    SB: 4 Abrupt Decay
    SB: 2 Krosan Grip
    SB: 2 Massacre
    SB: 2 Carpet of Flowers

7-0 in matches tonight with this deck. It's cross between Jona and Nevilshutes decklists. Jona says preordains are better than ponder in this build and i think hes right.

R1- Omnitell, 2-1

SB: -2 TOA, -1 PIF, -1 SDT, +1 AdN, +2 Extirpate, +1 CoV

(CoV since he had leylines)

R2- Reanimator, 2-1

(CoV for Iona, not sure if worth siding in, help?)

R3- Elves, 2-1

SB: -2 TOA, -1 PIF, +1 AdN, +2 CoV

R4- Jund, 2-0
    SB: -2 TOA, +1 AdN, +1 CoV

R5- Shardless BUG, 2-1
    SB: -2 TOA, -1 PIF, -2 CR +1 AdN, +2 CoV +2 CoF

(not sure about this boarding, help?)

R6- Twleve Post, 2-0

SB: -2 LED, -1 IT, -1 Grim -2 CR, +2 Extirpate, +2 CoV, +2 CoF

(turns out he had lots of sphere effects, I dodged them in match but i should have sided in the 6 green removal spells here)

R7- Jund, 2-1

Ironically i ended up siding in Ad Nauseam in almost every match this tournament. However, not having Ad Nauseam in G1 was still fine because past in flames is super-powered in game 1 without sideboard hate. I was happy with how the deck preformed, even in my meta which has very little miracles or delver. 

sideboard recap:

SB: 1 Ad Nauseam (allstar in my combo/jund meta i guess)
    SB: 2 Extirpate (Not too confident with this card yet, seems okay, I’d cut it for Xantid but then i would have nothing to side in for the storm mirror)
    SB: 2 Chain of Vapor
    SB: 4 Abrupt Decay
    SB: 2 Krosan Grip
    SB: 2 Massacre
    SB: 2 Carpet of Flowers

storm anecdotes @brettfrankson on twitter

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by BrettF View Post
    R1- Omnitell, 2-1

(CoV since he had leylines)

Mostly agree with this, but maybe boarding out Grim instead of Past in Flames is correct.

R2- Reanimator, 2-1

(CoV for Iona, not sure if worth siding in, help?)
    I actually prefer to keep the second Past in Flames rather than Ad Nauseam against Reanimator. They have lots of disruption but no graveyard hate most of the time. Also makes Grim less bad. Don't really like Chain for Iona, but Top isn't great either. Maybe you should just keep the second Tendrils.

R5- Shardless BUG, 2-1
    SB: -2 TOA, -1 PIF, -2 CR +1 AdN, +2 CoV +2 CoF

(not sure about this boarding, help?)
    The general idea is correct, but Decay is better than Chain and Cabal Ritual is better than Carpet.

R6- Twleve Post, 2-0

SB: -2 LED, -1 IT, -1 Grim -2 CR, +2 Extirpate, +2 CoV, +2 CoF

(turns out he had lots of sphere effects, I dodged them in match but i should have sided in the 6 green removal spells here)

This is not the kind of matchup where you want to board out your explosive spells, but rather the kind where you want Ad Nauseam. I don't know how many Wastelands they usually play, Chain vs. discard vs. green removal depends on that.

R7- Jund, 2-1

I think it's better to keep to Tendrils than two Past in Flames because they have discard plus Deathrite, and you don't want to lose to getting your Tendrils exiled. You can also board out a discard spell for the second Chain.
    Don't mind me, i'm just writing about Pauper these days: theweeklywars.wordpress.com

deckstats.net archive

Cabal Minion
    Dec 2012
    Victoria, BC, Canada

@Jona

The 12 post deck was of the UG variety, no wastes: http://mtgpulse.com/event/21413#302717

Ah, I think the naming conventions have just become uninspiring, I'd rather go back to the period where we named all of the combo decks after breakfast cereals.

Caleb Scherer is doing some serious work with dark petition, this time with a 1 top, 1 preordain, 2 Dark Petition, 1 ToA, 1 PiF, 1 AN. He also tends to lean on disfigure over dread and massacre. With 2 recalls and a rebuild MUD looks like a bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Alix444 View Post
    Caleb Scherer is doing some serious work with dark petition, this time with a 1 top, 1 preordain, 2 Dark Petition, 1 ToA, 1 PiF, 1 AN. He also tends to lean on disfigure over dread and massacre. With 2 recalls and a rebuild MUD looks like a bye.
    the guy is incredible, just always there... he seems to play similar setup for some time (an awkward one imo) , I dunno about expecting MUd and ignoring D+T, I'd guess recalls are more for Lands

Nov 2011
    Madrid (Spain)

Lately I have been playing 2 echoing instead of chain of vapour to beat loam with tegg and chalice and also 2 hurkil. Just to beat lands and mud. Metagame is shifting like every event is some of this deck there, so I like to be prepared.

Cabal Minion
    Dec 2012
    Victoria, BC, Canada

Anyone like puzzles? This took me way longer than it should have to figure out the win. Decklist is 0xAdn 2xToA 1xEtW 2xPiF. You just played underground sea for the turn.

Anyone like puzzles? This took me way longer than it should have to figure out the win. Decklist is 0xAdn 2xToA 1xEtW 2xPiF. You just played underground sea for the turn.

Are they at 20? I can only seem to deal 18.

Nope nevermind.

Mar 2010
    Amsterdam

Knowing there is a solution makes it somewhat simple as there really aren't many roads to consider. In a real life situation under pressure I wouldn't be surprised if many people would miss it. Giving the player a landdrop for the turn actually makes the puzzle more interesting since you need the trop in the yard to give the CRit thresh at flashback (you can only do 18 no matter if you go IT->IT or just IT->LED in that line since you can't cast duress after IT->IT).
    37th GP Ams'11 | 80th GP Stras '13 | 5th BoM Paris '13 | 12th GP Lille '15

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

LED, IT (CRit), CRit (w/ Thresh), Flashback PiF, Flashback CRit (w/ Thresh), Flashback IT (LED), LED, Duress, Tendrils

The only way I can see to get to 20 is to Flashback IT for a Probe... then rip a Petal, LED, or another Probe (into one of those) off the top.
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by haganbmj View Post
    LED, IT (CRit), CRit (w/ Thresh), Flashback PiF, Flashback CRit (w/ Thresh), Flashback IT (LED), LED, Duress, Tendrils

The only way I can see to get to 20 is to Flashback IT for a Probe... then rip a Petal, LED, or another Probe (into one of those) off the top.
    You IT for another IT to grab LED, that get you 5 mana for Duress and ToA, 10 Storm:

LED (4)
    IT (5)
    C. Rit (8)
    PiF (3)
    C. Rit (6)
    IT (4)
    IT (2)
    LED (5)
    Duress (4)
    ToA (0)

Thread Information