Page 27 of 313 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

Re: [Deck] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasDowd View Post
    Same argument can be applied to infest/ virtue's ruin/ massacre/deluge.

teeg insurance most likely. elves still plays teeg and does not always play plains.

All what you think you will need to kill, metagame dependent. not sure on what x/3+'s exist that warrant killing these days( other than suited up dudes with swords).

the other options preserve life but are more narrow. deluge just kills anything you want with a life cost.
    Would the Scry 1 of Drown in Sorrow actually be worth it or is it just better to kill guys with equipment just in case it happens with Deluge?

Alsso, what about Defense Grid instead of Xantid Swarm/Carpet? I get that you lose Brainstorm, but by the time your engine starts, they can't do anything.

jungle lion, good?...
    Mar 2010
    Isla de luzón de filipinas

Quote Originally Posted by elijah View Post
    Also, what about Defense Grid instead of Xantid Swarm/Carpet? I get that you lose Brainstorm, but by the time your engine starts, they can't do anything.
    Xantid is much better than Grid because it can go down on your turn one. And it Spell Pierces and Spell Snares. Casting your Brainstorms at the end of your opponent's turn is a big deal when setting up for the win.
    TJB

http://deartiyopaeng.blogspot.com/ <---- (updated) MTG related blog. ^_^

TES: 102nd out of 2000 players at GP Kyoto 2015 (Legacy)

UR Storm: 37th of 950 players at GP Guangzhou 2016 (Modern)

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

my latest maindeck list for crazy grinding:

4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Duress
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Infernal Tutor
    3 Pyromancer Ascension
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Past in Flames

1 Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island

Turning on Ascension is very dirty with hellbent Infernals, Cabal Therapy and 4-off cantrips

edit: needs some SB Lightning Bolts for hatebears and to flashback with PIF as an alternate win-con xDD
    Last edited by Lemnear; 04-03-2014 at 09:11 AM.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Yeah i tried defense grid but it's not worth it.
    Most of the time people manage to play 1 hardcounter through defense grid.
    Well we should just stay with the insects,they are just to good against certain decks .

- Team RUG-STAR Berlin -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Turning on Ascension is very dirty with hellbent Infernals, Cabal Therapy and 4-off cantrips
    I do not like the idea of turning on opposing Abrupt Decays (or other random permanent-hate).
    What I would do like is Ascension as a side-board card against RUG, Miracles, other blue decks do not run Decay.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by NoizeMe View Post
    I do not like the idea of turning on opposing Abrupt Decays (or other random permanent-hate).
    What I would do like is Ascension as a side-board card against RUG, Miracles, other blue decks do not run Decay.
    Enchantment is likely the most difficult type to hate atm. If you don't want to feed a Decay, shuffle the PA away
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Enchantment is likely the most difficult type to hate atm. If you don't want to feed a Decay, shuffle the PA away
    Can you elaborate a bit on how it's played out? I'd be very interested to learn more :)

Unless you get an instant, the 2nd Infernal Tutor off PA isn't going to be hellbent. I guess finding Dark Rit for a DT that also nets BB is fine.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by nevilshute View Post
    Can you elaborate a bit on how it's played out? I'd be very interested to learn more :)
    There is nothing mystic. You drop it onto the field to flip any attrition war in your favor as Ponder turns into "look at the top 8 cards; put 2 into your hand", Duress becomes Hymn, Probe becomes 0cc draw 2 (nasty with PIF), Cabal Ritual makes 10 mana, Cabal Therapy becomes a full mindtwist (no targeting problems anymore), Hellbent Infernal tutors for 2 cards, etc.

All done by turn 3-4 without bricking your deck and taking advantage of your full playsets.

Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    Unless you get an instant, the 2nd Infernal Tutor off PA isn't going to be hellbent. I guess finding Dark Rit for a DT that also nets BB is fine.
    Indeed. Floating 1-2 mana in those infernals might be required then

Join us at Facebook!

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

There is nothing mystic. You drop it onto the field to flip any attrition war in your favor as Ponder turns into "look at the top 8 cards; put 2 into your hand", Duress becomes Hymn, Probe becomes 0cc draw 2 (nasty with PIF), Cabal Ritual makes 10 mana, Cabal Therapy becomes a full mindtwist (no targeting problems anymore), Hellbent Infernal tutors for 2 cards, etc.

All done by turn 3-4 without bricking your deck and taking advantage of your full playsets.

Indeed. Floating 1-2 mana in those infernals might be required then
    Thanks for replying. However, I didn't mean "how does it work", more "how good has it been for you"? I have a soft spot for PA is why I ask. I'd love to try this out.

Pyromancer Ascension
    Oh boi, that's some weird shit going on here. What about adding Hymn to Tourach to the MB? It sure looks like a god of dirsruption spells.
    ANT to brew the ultimate storm deck, I would consider playing some amount of 'luck' because you certainly don't wanna draw these spells.

Oh man oh man oh man, Pyromancer Ascension is one of my favorite magic cards! I played that shit while it was in standard and it's the only reason I still play Modern! Gonna test this list immediately and get back to you.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Thanks for replying. However, I didn't mean "how does it work", more "how good has it been for you"? I have a soft spot for PA is why I ask. I'd love to try this out.
    Can't say I've done extensive testing. This hermit came out of his cave to ask if other players see potential in the grinding gameplan as storm usually has a natural weakness here and PA even dodges Counterbalance. It was pretty nice so far, but cockatrice is questionable testing ground alltogether

Join us at Facebook!

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Can't say I've done extensive testing. This hermit came out of his cave to ask if other players see potential in the grinding gameplan as storm usually has a natural weakness here and PA even dodges Counterbalance. It was pretty nice so far, but cockatrice is questionable testing ground alltogether
    I've been seriously considering including some permanent based bomb in the main deck of storm: Either dark confidant or pyromancer's ascension. So, I go over to the source to post the idea and expect to likely get flamed for it...

And what do you know, Lemnear beats me to it :/ I guess I should feel good about that though?

I really like the idea, although I'm kinda shifting more towards dark confidant as the better two drop. He is less vulnerable to the rest in peace decks, is more consistent, and synergies really well with cabal therapy. This is of course at the cost of being extremely more vulnerable.

I fucking love Pyromancer's though: I money'd GP Richmond with UR Storm in modern and the card is in my top 3 favorites. At least in modern I ran some really good cards for it, like thoughtscour and manamorphose and desperate ravings to make the triggering of it pretty consistent. Without at least thoughtscour, I'm not confident about getting the counters on the enchantment in a reasonable timeframe. How has it been?

Edit: it might require a build that steps towards red rituals for the increased chance of turn 1 pyromancer's, if spending a card to get it faster is desirable. The 8 artifacts psuedo replace some of the lands from the modern list, but the artifacts plus the discard means it is harder to trigger the card. Hopefully the better cantrips can make up for this difference(?) but my hunch is no.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    I've been seriously considering including some permanent based bomb in the main deck of storm: Either dark confidant or pyromancer's ascension. So, I go over to the source to post the idea and expect to likely get flamed for it...

And what do you know, Lemnear beats me to it :/ I guess I should feel good about that though?

I really like the idea, although I'm kinda shifting more towards dark confidant as the better two drop. He is less vulnerable to the rest in peace decks, is more consistent, and synergies really well with cabal therapy. This is of course at the cost of being extremely more vulnerable.

I fucking love Pyromancer's though: I money'd GP Richmond with UR Storm in modern and the card is in my top 3 favorites. At least in modern I ran some really good cards for it, like thoughtscour and manamorphose and desperate ravings to make the triggering of it pretty consistent. Without at least thoughtscour, I'm not confident about getting the counters on the enchantment in a reasonable timeframe. How has it been?

Edit: it might require a build that steps towards red rituals for the increased chance of turn 1 pyromancer's, if spending a card to get it faster is desirable. The 8 artifacts psuedo replace some of the lands from the modern list, but the artifacts plus the discard means it is harder to trigger the card. Hopefully the better cantrips can make up for this difference(?) but my hunch is no.
    I'm all open for ideas like running Rite of Flame instead of Petals or such shenanigans. Also squeezing in Preordain instead of Probe can be tested. Dunno. This plan B is still in childs shoes.

Edit: Matt, sry for ninja ... kinda ;)

Join us at Facebook!

I'm all open for ideas like running Rite of Flame instead of Petals or such shenanigans. Also squeezing in Preordain instead of Probe can be tested. Dunno. This plan B is still in childs shoes.

Edit: Matt, sry for ninja ... kinda ;)
    You guys can do whatever crazy shenanigans you want… But don't cut Probe!!!

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Patrunkenphat7 View Post
    You guys can do whatever crazy shenanigans you want… But don't cut Probe!!!
    Probe (like many other cards) is too awesome with an online PA, wouldn't cut it :) Gonna test a list with 3 ascensions next week though.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Probe (like many other cards) is too awesome with an online PA, wouldn't cut it :) Gonna test a list with 3 ascensions next week though.
    The question remains how to put more consistancy into the deck for PA without hurting plan A (Infernal -> PIF) by becoming too slow overall. I don't know if there are more slots than the Petals or Probes to replace for more/better instants/sorceries. :/

Tbh I see not much use of Rite of Flame so far overall other than powering the Plan B T1. Full 16 cantrips without Petals is maybe tooooooo slow. Needs more tests to find a middle ground as long as this Plan B doesn't hurt the primary path. Still it appears that playing without Probe is a valid thought as sawatarix showed a few pages back

Join us at Facebook!

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

What about this:

15 lands

4 LED
    4 infernal
    1 tendrils
    1 past
    3 Ascension
    4 dark ritual
    4 cabal ritual
    3 duress
    3 cabal therapy
    4 brainstorm
    4 ponder
    4 probe
    3 thoughtscour
    3 manamorphose

Ugh that just looks bad. That's a lot of GY dependency and a turn slower.

Perhaps the discard counts can go down instead?
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Thread Information