Page 159 of 313 FirstFirst ... 59109149155156157158159160161162163169209259 ... LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,180 of 6252

Thread: [Deck] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

Re: [Deck] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

Played my local Legacy last night. 30 people showed up, which was enough for 5 rounds of swiss then a top 8 split. First time running Full House Storm at an actual event and ended up top 8ing. Here’s the 75 I ran:

Mainboard:

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian probe
    1 Sensei's Divining Top

1 Empty the Warrens
    2 Past in flames
    2 Tendrils of Agony
    4 Infernal tutor
    1 Dark Petition

4 Cabal therapy
    1 Duress
    1 Thoughtseize

3 Cabal ritual
    4 Dark ritual
    4 Lion's eye diamond
    4 Lotus petal
    1 Rain of Filth

4 Polluted delta
    3 Scalding Tarn
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Underground sea
    1 Volcanic island
    1 Badlands
    1 Tropical island
    1 Island
    1 Swamp

Sideboard:

1 Ad Nauseam
    2 Extirpate
    3 Dread of Night
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Chain of Vapor
    1 Rebuild
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Krosan Grip

Yes, I stole Slosh's sideboard from Lille and it's been amazing imo.

Round 1 vs. R/B Reanimator

Game 1

Won the die roll and kept a slower 7 that had Top, Ponder, LED, and some discard. We spent some turns stripping eachothers’ hands but top was an MVP here and was able to dig me into a turn 5 or 6 PiF loop after we both durdled for the majority of the game

Boarding: -1 PiF -1 Tendrils -1 Empty +1 Ad Nauseam +2 Extirpate

Game 2

Kept a hand that had 2 infernal tutors and the potential to turn 1 Ad Nauseam. Opponent cast Faithless Looting, failed to find a fatty, and unmasked me taking a ritual. Casted a cantrip into the nuts allowing me to turn 2 tutor chain.

1-0

Round 2 vs. Burn

Game 1

Won the die roll, and I know my opponent is on burn. I kept a fast hand, and probed early to see if my opponent had Eidolon. He didn’t have one, so I spent the turn cantripping until I had a hand of Tendrils, Tutor, a few rituals and an LED, planning to turn 3 double Tendrils. He topdecked and tapped out for Eidolon turn 2 and passed. I untapped, played rituals down to 4 life (knew he didn’t have Fireblast), casted Tendrils for 12, played Infernal Tutor cracking LED and casted a second Tendrils for 16.

Boarding: +3 Decay +1 Chain -4 Probe

Game 2

I keep a hand with a fast kill and a Decay. I spend a turn cantripping while he missed his second land drop. On his turn 3, he rips the land and plays Pyrostatic Pillar. I decay the pillar on his end step and kill him with PiF at a healthy life total.

2-0

Round 3 vs. Blue Manaless Dredge

Game 1

He won the roll and chose to be on the draw. I kept a weird hand with 2x probe, a ritual and tendrils. I kept because I know he’s on the blue version and I want to be able to beat force easily. On turn 2, I begin casting probes which draw me into cantrips and more rituals. I hadn’t planned on winning, but I got really lucky and was able to natural tendrils for exactly 20.

Boarding: -1 Tendrils, -1 Empty, -1 Dark Petition, -1 Top, -1 PiF +1 Ad Nauseam +2 Pyroblast (not correct I think) +2 Extirpate

Game 2

I tried to go for a PiF loop on turn 3. Over the course of the turn, I casted probe 6 times, ponder 2 times and brainstorm 1 time (not in that order obviously), failing to find a tutor or tendrils. He had a Disrupting Shoal and Narcomoeba for tutor, but I had a pyroblast with flashback in the yard. I scooped, as I was dead next turn or 2, and checked the top cards of my library. The next 2 cards were 2x Infernal Tutor: oh well! I still think it was right to gamble on the cantrips in my yard getting me there.

Game 3

I choose to draw and keep a hand with extirpate, but missing some pieces for the kill. He draws and discards a Phantasmagorian, but I Extirpate. He informs me that it’s the incorrect play and I should have waited for the dredger, but I figured it was fine to time walk him and take the discard outlet in order to play around him discarding a Grave Troll and Imp, meaning the Extirpate would have been less impactful. Either way, I end up trying to kill him on turn 3, but he forces a dark ritual and I end up only taking him to 3, but I have infernal tutor in my hand. He cycles street wraith on my end step bringing himself to 1 and I think he couldn’t find a dredger. I had 4 lands in play on my turn and Tutored for PiF. He had a Narcomoeba and brought me down to 30 before I found an LED and flashbacked the copy of Tendrils in my yard.

3-0

Round 4 vs. Grixis Control

Game 1

This was a strange build with Thought Scours. I misplay horribly game 1. I won the roll and Probe/Therapy’d a Brainstorm, seeing Thought Scour, dig, and Lightning Bolt. Like an Idiot, I didn’t therapy the dig on my turn 2, and he EOT thought scoured himself into a turn 2 dig. He found a bunch of forces, started chaining digs, buried me card advantage and wrecked me.

Boarding: +2 Pyroblast +1 Decay -1 Lotus Petal -1 Dark Petition -1 Rain of Filth, should have just boarded in decays and left out Pyroblast. I’m bad.

Game 2

I Probe turn 1 and see Young Pyro, 2 Probes and I think a Bolt. I therapy the probes and turn 2 I empty for 6 goblins and flash back Therapy on YP. Over the next few turns, he bolts 2 goblins and I cast an infernal tutor for Pyroblast, hoping to catch a cantrip. He find nothing but lands and I get there with the pitiful Empty.

Game 3

I actually don’t remember this game, but it was over fast thanks to Young Pyromancer and Snapcaster on Flusterstorm.

3-1

Round 5 vs. TES

I.D.

We I.D. since we’re both X-1 and we will almost certainly top 8 if we take the draw here. We play it out anyway just for fun.

Game 1

We discard eachother and I turn 2 brainstorm into a PiF loop for the kill.

Boarding: -1 PiF -1 Empty -1 Tendrils +2 Extirpate +1 Ad Nauseam.

Game 2

We both mull to 5. I therapy him, and he telegraphs that he has brainstorm but he lets therapy resolve. I was planning on naming LED or Dark Ritual, but I name brainstorm and hit, seeing a land and a Chrome Mox. I get super luck and turn 3 Ad Nauseam with nothing floating into the kill.

Ended up in 6th place, which is as good as any spot, as top 8 was splitting regardless. All in all, it was a great time playing the list, this is definitely what I’ll be taking to Eternal Weekend. Having piloted almost every variant of storm, I was pleasantly surprised with how powerful this list is. I’m sad that I boarded badly in some rounds, but I’ll make sure to have defined plans for the common decks when I go to Eternal Weekend. So far, I’ve been in love with Extirpate and Pyroblast. I was very skeptical of Dark Petition when I first tried the card, but so far I’ve had some lines that were won because the card costs a net of 2 mana instead of the 3 that would be Grim Tutor. I know there will also be times when the 5cc is a major problem, but I like the card so far and won’t cut it just yet. Hope this report was helpful/interesting/something.
    Last edited by Dr_D; 09-01-2015 at 09:28 AM.

Feb 2014
    Santa Fe Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Instead of picking up a list that had some results and testing with it to get a feeling for the deck, he dropped a list with certain random and unexplained changes (aka messing with the deck) and let it to THE THREAD discussing it and finding reasons for/against the changes. Thats lazy at best and I'm not going to reward that.

uhhhh ... I clearly hinted at the problems with Miracles and fetches, which is imo clearly helpful advice, no?

I did and I even invested more time into answering then he did into his post.

I can't point at 100+ pages of this thread to find answers, but the last 10 pages and simply googling for recent list should give more than enough info to pick up the deck. Nothing was done.

See above. I did. Your posts solely rant about my posts and add nothing.

then why YOU did not help him out?

lol every thread I see you in you're butthurt..jeez

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_D View Post
    Game 1

Won the die roll, and I know my opponent is on burn. I kept a fast hand, and probed early to see if my opponent had Eidolon. He didn’t have one, so I spent the turn cantripping until I had a hand of Tendrils, Tutor, a few rituals and an LED, planning to turn 3 double Tendrils. He topdecked and tapped out for Eidolon turn 2 and passed. I untapped, played rituals down to 4 life (knew he didn’t have Fireblast), casted Tendrils for 12, played Infernal Tutor cracking LED and casted a second Tendrils for 16.

Game 2

I keep a hand with a fast kill and a Decay. I spend a turn cantripping while he missed his second land drop. On his turn 3, he rips the land and plays Pyrostatic Pillar. I decay the pillar on his end step and kill him with PiF at a healthy life total.
    Boarding in a grip for a thoughtseize seems better here. If the thoughtseize misses, it at best saves you a life but the grip deals with all the hate that the have of bring in for you. Idk if you want both grips since it is slower but if seems better than the thoughtseize

Jun 2010
    Italy

Casting Krosan Grip versus Burn on the play isn't an option most of the time since you risk to be dead already.

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

The real solution is to not board out all Probes. It's essential to many early natural Tendrils kills and helps you play discard spells at the right times. I would board out Empty first, then Thoughtseize and Duress, and maybe one or two Probes, depending on how I feel about my opponent.
    Don't mind me, i'm just writing about Pauper these days: theweeklywars.wordpress.com

deckstats.net archive

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Alexander View Post
    The real solution is to not board out all Probes. It's essential to many early natural Tendrils kills and helps you play discard spells at the right times. I would board out Empty first, then Thoughtseize and Duress, and maybe one or two Probes, depending on how I feel about my opponent.
    Noted. Thanks for the reply.

Played at the Legacy championships at eternal weekend tonight and was 7-2 going into round 10 but lost some really close games and ended 82nd at 7-4 losing to miracles and stone blade. Might write up a report when I find time.

Quote Originally Posted by TokugawaEdo View Post
    Played at the Legacy championships at eternal weekend tonight and was 7-2 going into round 10 but lost some really close games and ended 82nd at 7-4 losing to miracles and stone blade. Might write up a report when I find time.
    I'd be happy to read it, if that's any encouragement.

Aug 2013
    Georgia

OP updated, more love to follow. You guys are awesome, thanks for keeping this deck and this thread alive!

Quote Originally Posted by bjholmes3 View Post
    OP updated, more love to follow. You guys are awesome, thanks for keeping this deck and this thread alive!
    Why would you run Scalding Tarn over Misty in the list you proposed in the op? You don't have a badlands to fetch and your tarns can't get the Bayou.

Aug 2013
    Georgia

Why would you run Scalding Tarn over Misty in the list you proposed in the op? You don't have a badlands to fetch and your tarns can't get the Bayou.
    Good catch, that's a relic from days past. Didn't bother examining the land base when I fixed up the post.

Working on matchups soon

Aug 2013
    Georgia

Added a brief section explaining Grinding Station and kicked off the matchup section with my favorite game of 60 card pickup, Death & Taxes.

Update to update report: Added Miracle Control section as well. Do note, I've been out of MTG for years, so I'm a bit rusty. Please, don't hesitate to give feedback/corrections/hatespeech (Lemnear ;) ). I want the primer to be quality.

Update-within-an-update-within-an-update (UPDATECEPTION): Added OmniTell matchup and touched up the formatting a bit (those underlines were ugly, what was I thinking).

Broken record: Added RUG Delver matchup and took my signature out because I'm a professional like that.
    Last edited by bjholmes3; 08-24-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Jan 2015
    Chicago

Added a brief section explaining Grinding Station and kicked off the matchup section with my favorite game of 60 card pickup, Death & Taxes.

Update to update report: Added Miracle Control section as well. Do note, I've been out of MTG for years, so I'm a bit rusty. Please, don't hesitate to give feedback/corrections/hatespeech (Lemnear ;) ). I want the primer to be quality.

Update-within-an-update-within-an-update (UPDATECEPTION): Added OmniTell matchup and touched up the formatting a bit (those underlines were ugly, what was I thinking).

Broken record: Added RUG Delver matchup and took my signature out because I'm a professional like that.
    In regards to the Miracles matchup section, I don't think that you want to board out Rain of Filth (I usually don't, but maybe this is wrong?)

Bringing in Surgical/Extirpate vs Miracles certainly seems incorrect though.

Edit: Against RUG Delver, you do not want Abrupt Decay, and you WANT Empty the Warrens (This matchup is the main reason people play the card in the first place)

Aug 2013
    Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
    In regards to the Miracles matchup section, I don't think that you want to board out Rain of Filth (I usually don't, but maybe this is wrong?)

Bringing in Surgical/Extirpate vs Miracles certainly seems incorrect though.

Edit: Against RUG Delver, you do not want Abrupt Decay, and you WANT Empty the Warrens (This matchup is the main reason people play the card in the first place)
    Thanks for the feedback. Before I make too many changes I'll wait for further input, but EtW makes sense, as does keeping Rain for Miracles (grindy matchups are half of why it's good, not sure why I took it out).

On the topic of Surgical effects, my thought process was that it improves against decks with limited ways to win or that rely on specific cards, or decks which play slow and let the grave full up, of which miracles is both. I'm open to criticism, of course, since I want good info in the guide. Thoughts?

EDIT: OP adjusted. Added Last Updated note at the very top, it's always something I like to know when I see guides. Made the under construction more visible in the MU section so newer players don't get confused by the WIP notes. Adjusted the RUG Delver matchup, replacing the Decays with EtW. Keep the feedback coming!

Jan 2015
    Chicago

On the topic of Surgical effects, my thought process was that it improves against decks with limited ways to win or that rely on specific cards, or decks which play slow and let the grave full up, of which miracles is both. I'm open to criticism, of course, since I want good info in the guide. Thoughts?
    What would you be wanting to extract against Miracles?

Anything really. A lot of situations can pop up with having this card in the match up. Mainly if you discard or decay their counterbalance you can take the rest of them out of the game. Also, if you have drawn into multiple decays and can deal with multiple counterbalances, you can use extirpate to deal with their tops or forces. Also if they have surgical, witch is popular right now, and try to surgical your tutors of something you can extirpate the target in response and fail to find the rest, their surgical will have no target and fizzle.

Aug 2013
    Georgia

Not to mention they will, at absolute worst, give you hand information and shuffle the opponent's library.

Jan 2015
    Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by TokugawaEdo View Post
    Anything really. A lot of situations can pop up with having this card in the match up. Mainly if you discard or decay their counterbalance you can take the rest of them out of the game. Also, if you have drawn into multiple decays and can deal with multiple counterbalances, you can use extirpate to deal with their tops or forces. Also if they have surgical, witch is popular right now, and try to surgical your tutors of something you can extirpate the target in response and fail to find the rest, their surgical will have no target and fizzle.
    None of those examples seem particularly strong - the whole point of having targeted discard and Abrupt Decay/Grip is so that you can deal with whatever you need to before you go off. I don't see why you would need to extract all their CBs/Tops/Forces when you only need to deal with what's on the board/in the hand.

As for extracting in response to theirs, I don't even think Surgical is a popular card for Miracles - in fact, I have never ever seen it out of their board. Even if they were packing extraction, that corner case doesn't seem worth it.

Yes, I stole Slosh's sideboard from Lille and it's been amazing imo.

Round 1 vs. R/B Reanimator

Boarding: -1 PiF -1 Tendrils -1 Empty +1 Ad Nauseam +2 Extirpate

Round 2 vs. Burn

Round 3 vs. Blue Manaless Dredge

Boarding: -1 Tendrils, -1 Empty, -1 Dark Petition, -1 Top, -1 PiF +1 Ad Nauseam +2 Pyroblast (not correct I think) +2 Extirpate

Round 4 vs. Grixis Control

Boarding: +2 Pyroblast +1 Decay -1 Lotus Petal -1 Dark Petition -1 Rain of Filth, should have just boarded in decays and left out Pyroblast. I’m bad.

Round 5 vs. TES

Boarding: -1 PiF -1 Empty -1 Tendrils +2 Extirpate +1 Ad Nauseam.

Hope this report was helpful/interesting/something.
    Would board (in your list)
    R1 +1 Ad Nauseam +2 Extirpate -ToA -RoF -swamp (I have no idea what RB is exactly)
    R2 +3AD +1Grip +CoV -RoF -LP -GP -Ponder -land
    R3 +Adn +2Pyro +2Extirpate -Swamp -ToA -RoF -DP -PIF
    R4 +2Pyro +2Extirpate -CR -2LP -GP
    R5 +2Extirpate +Ad Nauseam -Toa -Swamp - EtW

I’ve been in love with Extirpate and Pyroblast.
    hmmm...

did not want to answer this but lets start Extirpating instead of Extracting, just reading the former, the card is quite selfexplanatory, use your imagination...

SE in Miracles is some recent awful tech...

Aug 2013
    Georgia

At any rate, what would your recommended sideboard plan be for such a matchup? Criticism is good, but if you think my recommendations are subpar you should back it up with your own.

Thread Information