Page 311 of 313 FirstFirst ... 211261301307308309310311312313 LastLast
Results 6,201 to 6,220 of 6252

Thread: [Deck] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Re: [DTB] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

The "Humans of Magic" interview: Cyrus Corman-Gill. Cyrus talks about growing up, mental health, and the competitive mindset. A little different from your usual Storm strategy discussion, but I hope you like it.

https://humansofmagic.com/2019/04/01/cyrus-corman-gill/

Cyrus Corman-Gill is an above-average Magic player. He is an Eternal Weekend Finalist, Star City Games Open champion, Vintage Super League quarterfinalist, online grinder (of the card game variety), and Twitch streamer. Cyrus also enjoys sending out cool tweets and generally acting as the wrestling heel of the Magic world.

WARNING: content is DARK in this one. No holds-barred and recommended for mature audiences. Listener beware.
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

What play do you make with the below hand otp? Scry is Cabal Ritual (maybe you would not have kept). The opponent is playing Sylvan Plug and relevant cards I believe are Mox Diamond with CotV and Teeg; and Wasteland (assume 4 but maybe 3).

Edit: this is g3 / edit#2 Opponent kept 7

Last edited by ScottW; 04-04-2019 at 07:16 PM.

T1 Misty Rainforest, crack, get Bayou, Thoughtseize him.
    Take Mox Diamond. Pass.

In his turn, we are stopped by him drawing another copy of Mox Diamond or him playing wasteland and destroying Bayou, but T1 wasteland is a sketchy play and we fetched for bayou so he's now probably assuming we're onto something completely different, maybe some Junk stuff or Turbo Depths.

T2 Play Volc, cast Dark ritual, cast Cabal Ritual, pay 1 more with Volcanic, cast Ad Nauseam, pray in a loud voice to the gods of Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cave View Post
    T1 Misty Rainforest, crack, get Bayou, Thoughtseize him.
    Take Mox Diamond. Pass.

In his turn, we are stopped by him drawing another copy of Mox Diamond or him playing wasteland and destroying Bayou, but T1 wasteland is a sketchy play and we fetched for bayou so he's now probably assuming we're onto something completely different, maybe some Junk stuff or Turbo Depths.

T2 Play Volc, cast Dark ritual, cast Cabal Ritual, pay 1 more with Volcanic, cast Ad Nauseam, pray in a loud voice to the gods of Magic.
    It's game 3, so the opponent knows we are on Storm.
    Did the opponent take any mulligans?
    If not, go with the above sequence and hope for no Wasteland.
    If so, perhaps hold off on casting Thoughtseize turn 1, go for Ad Nauseam turn 2.

...Am I missing something obvious there?
    Green Stompy play Teeg, Chalice, Trinisphere, Choke.
    They know what we're up to because it's g3 (I posted my answer before ScottW's edits @Miscanthus) and they kept seven so they probably have at least one lock piece.

We can't let any of the above touch the table, (else our entire gameplan is gone), except choke, which we can overcome by taking Bayou and winning t2.

I don't believe the long game is gonna favour us. If we just play rainforest and pass, they play their first lock piece and they can stop us for at least 1 turn and then follow up with some more.
    T1 Bayou Seize into T2 Volc Rit Cabal Nauseam loses to wasteland: the question is how likely is that they chose that line, given that they have 40% or less to have Wasteland and they probably do not expect us to have a t2 cantripless combo. They're destroying our -arguably- worse dual and they don't know our hand. If I was them, I would not go for that plan because destroying bayou gives space for underground sea and cantrips while they are 1 tempo behind.

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

...Am I missing something obvious there?
    Green Stompy play Teeg, Chalice, Trinisphere, Choke.
    No, you're not missing anything. It's a rather simple scenario but I think interesting since I have only 1 black mana source and a Wasteland is problematic. Also, what are the chances he has a lock piece in addition to the Mox vs just Wasteland? I don't know how to compute this but I'd imagine he's more likely just to have Wasteland. The idea of fetching Bayou is interesting but this may be a bigger target for Wasteland since I used Decay in previous games. My play was Usea, TS and his hand was 4 lands (inlcuding Wasteland) Faeire Macabre, Engineered Plague, Library; and he wasted my land his turn 1. Then it played out poorly for me (but for the best since I was having noob computer problems and he was polite though it all). In retropect, I am leaning toward Misty pass but I'm not sure -- the reason I posted the scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    Also, what are the chances he has a lock piece in addition to the Mox vs just Wasteland? I don't know how to compute this but I'd imagine he's more likely just to have Wasteland.
    I'm not sure, you know? It's 4 chalice + anything between 1-4 trinispheres and 1-4 Chokes +1-2 Gaddock Teeg.
    I know the chance of a single lock piece + mox are inferior to the chances he has wasteland, but those are a lot of lock pieces. I don't know how it adds up. And we should also factor other things such as chalice+sol land or sol land + mox + gsz.

But let' just forget about math for a second: I am rather inclined to think that my stompy opponent is hardmulliganing into an early lock piece, otherwise he might just scoop.
    It is much more likely that he's trying to find a hand that has any of the above rather than him keeping a hand with wasteland thinking "this land is gonna win me the game".

I believe in hindsight your play was wrong in this particular case, where not cracking fetchland would have led to victory. However, generally speaking, I think your play was correct. You cannot let that thoughtseize stay in your hand if you have t2 combo and they are stompy. Think about it as "This hand only loses to wasteland, therefore 60% win rate".

Dec 2011
    USA

Well, looks like I'm building Legacy Storm. Gonna take a couple months before the decks complete (High End cards) This should be a fun summer!
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

I believe in hindsight your play was wrong in this particular case, where not cracking fetchland would have led to victory. However, generally speaking, I think your play was correct. You cannot let that thoughtseize stay in your hand if you have t2 combo and they are stompy. Think about it as "This hand only loses to wasteland, therefore 60% win rate".
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply Cave. I see what you mean. After considering it more, recovering from a Wasteland is easier than recovering from a Teeg, CotV, etc since I just need a land, LP (15 one-card outs at this point vs needing land, LP and Decay). This weighs more in favor of the TS play too.

Quote Originally Posted by feline View Post
    Well, looks like I'm building Legacy Storm. Gonna take a couple months before the decks complete (High End cards) This should be a fun summer!
    Welcome!

Aug 2015
    The woods again

So for people who've been practicing online of late, can anyone provide a damage report regarding the London mulligan?

Quote Originally Posted by feline View Post
    Welcome to the Resistance.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    So for people who've been practicing online of late, can anyone provide a damage report regarding the London mulligan?

Welcome to the Resistance.
    It's not that bad metagamewise adds some nice consistency to "normal" decks but definitely pushes cotv/BR strategy and 4C loam might actually be good, the outcome for Storm - helps very marginaly in storm operation mode but mulling into antihate becomes a frustrating need vs. Otherwise inconsistent mass hate decks, I think in the long run it will bite normal decks too, I said it before I belive power lvl and inconsistency go hand in hand and this just transfers the feelsbad from uneven starting conditions an illusionary safety level higher and secretly do the same but on different macro level - g1 vs g2/3 ... In normal decks interaction I belive the change is great but not for this format in general
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post

May 2014
    Germany - Cologne

Re: [Deck] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

Hey guys!
    I went 20-2-2 all weekend in Legacy with ANT, on MKM-Series in Ghent. The Deck went incredibly well for me all weekend! I posted some video coverage of the event down below.
    I went 4-0, 4-0 and 3-1 at the grand trials. then i went 7-0-2 in the swiss of the big legacy tournament with 249 Players ending up on 2nd place after finals! (We also didn't split the prices) I am only gonna mention a few intresting rounds in detail that i can remember. The metagame was very healthy mixed, and storm felt incredibly well positioned!!! The top8 decklists (including my list on 2nd place) are already posted on mtg top8:

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=21676&d=345649&f=LE

Round 1: bye --> 1-0-0
    Round 2: bye --> 2-0-0
    Round 3: Eldrazi lose die roll.
    G1: He starts Ancient Tomb Endless One. I Thoughtseize his Thought-Knot and kill him t2 (clean PIF Line).
    G2: he has no Chalice but fast pressure with t2 Smasher and i kill him with discard t2 again (IT Chain he was on 16)
    --> 2:0
    --> 3-0-0
    Round 4: Goblins I lose die roll again
    G1:He starts with Port -> Vial -> i think i face thalia next turn Got no thoughtseize so i cantrip. He follows up with mountain go I Discard he has some Piledriver / and 4cc dudes. I kill him with a natural tendrils turn 4 or 5 (including 3 discards, last one finding the tendrils, i didnt find a tutor within like 5 or 6 cantrips)
    G2 he is fast and i find nothing.
    G3 I t3 Kill him nothing interesting
    --> 2:1
    --> 4-0-0
    Round 5: Miracles I win die roll
    G1: I Thoughtseize away his lonely FOW and he has only like Back 2 Basics, Snap, 3 lands and Plow. T3 PIF Kill.
    G2: he mulls into 5 and i t2 18 Goblins for the win
    -->2:0
    --> 5-0-0
    Round 6: Turbo Depths, I Lose the die roll
    G1:He has t3 token and i have t3 discard proof kill
    G2: G2 is pretty insane match. He has Leyline of the Void. He has t2 token via Hexmage. My hand is pretty slow and land heavy (3lands and another drawn land, cantrip LED Tendrils IT). I am forced to IT response crack LED for blue to bounce the token. Leaving me with my tendrils exiled. After a few turns i Bounce another token, following up with cantrip into Empty for 4!!! Tokens (him on 17 life and 1 card on hand, no creatures). My kill options are exiled on this moment!. I Swing on 13 and 9 life. He has a BOB. he goes to 5 and doesnt lose life on upkeep. Then he has the Green (Sac Shroud) 1/1 guy. he double blocks goes to 3. Then makes another token. I Have IT for Chain and kill him
    -->2:0
    --> 6-0-0
    Round 7: 4c Loam
    He wins the roll (really not my day for beginning the matches)
    G1: He has T1 Chalice for 1 and for 0!!! Nothing more to say...
    G2: i have a PIF Kill about T4 after discard
    G3: is the sickest Game of the Whole Weekend. I see myself in the situation of beeing on 5 Life. He has on board like: 3lands mox, leyline of the void, chalice on 0, Summoning Sick Knight, Thalia, Arbor he passes turn. I have really literally nothing going on. 3 Lands, an Echoing truth, IT, Ponder, 1 ritual or something. I EOT brainstorm into Massacre Ritual Fetch. I Massacre him on my turn, Fetch, Echoing truth his Knight, pass turn, tapped out. He replays his knight and has nothing more going on. I Topdeck yet ANOTHER Brainstorm, find everything and kill him (Tendrils kill no need for PIF)
    --> 2:1
    --> 7-0-0
    I am on first place with 21 Points after 7rounds of swiss and i should be safe with 22 Points due to incredibly good Scores.
    Round 8: I.D.
    --> 7-0-1
    Round 9: I.D.
    --> 7-0-2
    --> 5. after Swiss

Quarterfinal: Grixis Control (4. after swiss so he begins)
    G1: I Have a 2 Discard t2 Kill
    G2: I have Ad Nauseam on t3 with no discard on the same turn but he has only a surgical and a Spellbomb which does nothing against my line.
    2:0

Semifinal: Grixis Control (i start this time!)
    2:0 --> video coverage
    Final: Omnishow (Cunning Wish list, he starts sadly...)
    --> video coverage
    1:2 --> 2nd place

videocoverage: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/411039158

cheerz!

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVanDerRaven View Post
    Hey guys!
    Congratulations.

Good to see some people still posting here.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

Hey guys!
    I went 20-2-2 all weekend in Legacy with ANT, on MKM-Series in Ghent. The Deck went incredibly well for me all weekend! I posted some video coverage of the event down below.

Final: Omnishow (Cunning Wish list, he starts sadly...)
    --> video coverage
    1:2 --> 2nd place

videocoverage: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/411039158

cheerz!

Congrats and thanks for the report!

Can you explain the RoF play at about 2:39 in the finals? Am I missing something?

May 2014
    Germany - Cologne

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    Congrats and thanks for the report!

Can you explain the RoF play at about 2:39 in the finals? Am I missing something?
    It was an impossible play which I didn't notice at that particular moment. I would have had to crack the fetch in response / before the Rain of Filth. Sadly the table judge didn't realize / neither my opponent. So i wouldn't have been able to pay for the Pierce... but anyways the game ended on the spot, since he also had a FOW, so the missplay had no impact on the match whatsoever. If i had some more business it would have been possible to fight through force and pierce... I was about 99% sure that the game is lost at that spot anyways... since i also needed him to Brainstorm and to counter the wrong spells (to generate enough storm for the natural Tendrils in my hand) since I was unable to create enough storm count.
    Also an important thing to keep in mind when resolving Rain of Filth!

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

It was an impossible play which I didn't notice at that particular moment.
    I was surprised no one noticed at this level. Understandable to make a few mistakes after so many rounds and being on camera, which I can only imagine adds a lot of stress. Also, good job on some tough match ups.

Nov 2017
    San Diego, CA

Just getting back into this deck, and am wondering how much of a disadvantage playing shocklands is, because Ill be stuck with them for a couple months. Also if im playing shocks I should I try to stick to a grixis version with no green in the sideboard?

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by ye_old_storm_boy View Post
    Just getting back into this deck, and am wondering how much of a disadvantage playing shocklands is, because Ill be stuck with them for a couple months. Also if im playing shocks I should I try to stick to a grixis version with no green in the sideboard?
    This deck uses life as a resource, either explicitly (ad nauseum, thoughtseize) or implicitly (not forced to combo for another turn, letting you cantrip and sculpt further). Even a single dual in each color for your first fetch will go a long way. I would never want to go to 15 on turn 1 off fetch, shockland, thoughtseize and see my opponent on some sort of delver deck
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Quote Originally Posted by ye_old_storm_boy View Post
    Check out the Slosh style lists (42AD on MTGO). They have less reliance on Ad Naus. You're still a little life total sensitive since you're actually using it to stall out the game, as well as for Thoughtseize and in these lists Grim Tutor as well (it'll make empty somewhat worse as a win-con and make Delver uncomfortable and possibly make burn actually near unwinnable). Overall it'll work out better though.

I don't think playing Grixis will really change anything as you're still fetching splash colours for your non-bounce removal spells.

Nov 2017
    San Diego, CA

Quote Originally Posted by fangzie View Post
    Check out the Slosh style lists (42AD on MTGO). They have less reliance on Ad Naus. You're still a little life total sensitive since you're actually using it to stall out the game, as well as for Thoughtseize and in these lists Grim Tutor as well (it'll make empty somewhat worse as a win-con and make Delver uncomfortable and possibly make burn actually near unwinnable). Overall it'll work out better though.

I don't think playing Grixis will really change anything as you're still fetching splash colours for your non-bounce removal spells.

Sp I have one Sea the rest are shocks, I can pcik up a Bayou or Badlands soon. Which is better in the current Meta, TES or ANT?

Thread Information