Page 11 of 313 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: [Deck] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

Quote Originally Posted by Lans89 View Post
    Well maybe I think too much about a game vs a stifle heavy hand ^_^, where I started and cast Carpet. A little later I was cantripping with 2 fetchland open, untill I found the Therapy to get rid of the 2 Stifles. Something like that. But overall Carpet is just awesome to ignore 8 of your opponents counters (daze and pierce), versus all tempo decks. Now I can side +3 Carpet +1 Empty the Warrens and side out -2 Preordain -1 Cabal Ritual -1 Ad Nauseam. Ofc Pierce should always be used on Carpet ;). But when they FoW to protect all the softcounters in their deck. Carpet does a great job.

But any suggestions for changes in my sb are welcome, so go ahead =)
    There is a bigger conceptional misunderstanding I fear. How would you like to beat double Stifle with a Therapy while the Stilfe block your mana to cast the Therapy through Daze/Pierce?

How is boarding out a +3 mana Source that fuels your kill condition (PIF) inferior to a +1-mana-enchantment in terms of beating soft-counters? I'm sure Slosh would agree that it is nonsense to replace Cabal Ritual with Carpets

Pure Tempo decks (NO SFM or TNN shenanigans) have and will switch their Pierces for Snares to beat SFM, Goofy and Infernal/Wish on a more reliable base. Carpet does a shit against that development. Stay ahead of countermeasures instead of trying to catch up
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Finding out that Massacre is much much better than Dread of Night in the meta at the moment due to the numerous numbers of UWR Delver. Since Dread of Night still doesn't kill Canoist and Vial-ing in Thalia / Mindsensor. Thoughts on the number of cards in the SB to fight D&T?

Also have been testing Swan Song. Seems very good in the combo mirrors, especially vs our bad matchups such as Miracles, Show and Tell and Reanimator. Has anyone else tested Swan Song?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Jessenator View Post
    Finding out that Massacre is much much better than Dread of Night in the meta at the moment due to the numerous numbers of UWR Delver. Since Dread of Night still doesn't kill Canoist and Vial-ing in Thalia / Mindsensor. Thoughts on the number of cards in the SB to fight D&T?

Also have been testing Swan Song. Seems very good in the combo mirrors, especially vs our bad matchups such as Miracles, Show and Tell and Reanimator. Has anyone else tested Swan Song?
    I feel that Flusterstorm is a much better SB counter in this deck as it's uncounterable and dös not give your opponent a free beater.

Massacre is kinda tricky. Your opponent can possibly waste your Underground (lesser Problem), don't play Plains (you underestimate how often that is the case against D&T not having a Plains but Karakas, Eiganjo or AEther Vial) or counter your Massacre under a Cannonist. I don't say it's bad, but it's not quite an I-win-button.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Apr 2011
    the Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    There is a bigger conceptional misunderstanding I fear. How would you like to beat double Stifle with a Therapy while the Stilfe block your mana to cast the Therapy through Daze/Pierce?

How is boarding out a +3 mana Source that fuels your kill condition (PIF) inferior to a +1-mana-enchantment in terms of beating soft-counters? I'm sure Slosh would agree that it is nonsense to replace Cabal Ritual with Carpets

Pure Tempo decks (NO SFM or TNN shenanigans) have and will switch their Pierces for Snares to beat SFM, Goofy and Infernal/Wish on a more reliable base. Carpet does a shit against that development. Stay ahead of countermeasures instead of trying to catch up
    I described a game that actually happened.. I was only mentioning that besides playing through soft-counters, Carpet also enables you to cantrip/sculpt a nice hand/do SOMETHING when you don't want to crack your fetchland. It contributes to a better game in different ways.

Maybe you could try and answer some of my questions instead of trying to dismiss any tiny argument I come up with. I see you on this forum all day and know that you can do better ! Everyone knows Carpets main purpose, generate mana to play through soft counters, but I get it that not everyone likes it as much as I do now. When I still played Confidants side I always ignored Carpet as a sideboard card, and now I liked it as a 2-off but I'm not really sure if I want that 3th copy.. Since I don't feel the need for 3 DoN in the board to fight D&T, I struggle to find the right sideboard configuration.

Edit: In the past I knew some RUG players played Snare for a while, but I never seen it in months. If they go that road again it would be a pain for us for sure!

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Lans89 View Post
    I described a game that actually happened.. I was only mentioning that besides playing through soft-counters, Carpet also enables you to cantrip/sculpt a nice hand/do SOMETHING when you don't want to crack your fetchland. It contributes to a better game in different ways.

Maybe you could try and answer some of my questions instead of trying to dismiss any tiny argument I come up with. I see you on this forum all day and know that you can do better ! Everyone knows Carpets main purpose, generate mana to play through soft counters, but I get it that not everyone likes it as much as I do now. When I still played Confidants side I always ignored Carpet as a sideboard card, and now I liked it as a 2-off but I'm not really sure if I want that 3th copy.. Since I don't feel the need for 3 DoN in the board to fight D&T, I struggle to find the right sideboard configuration.

Edit: In the past I knew some RUG players played Snare for a while, but I never seen it in months. If they go that road again it would be a pain for us for sure!
    If you take a peek into the bUrg thread you'll notice that the number of Pierces goes down while Snares became the counter of choice and therefore I hinted that Carpet gets worse as the only taxing counter I faced for quite a while were Dazes and SB Flusterstorms.

You answered most of your questions already yourself, so I don't think you need me to confirm your impression that Massacre + Ad Nauseam is a no-go ;). Therefore, if you have to SB AN out, PIF is your engine of choice and weakening it by removing Rituals is counter-intuitive.

Easiest against D&T should be boarding out Duresses for Massacre/CoV

Join us at Facebook!

Dec 2010
    GermOney

Went 4-2 in a 60-Player-Event yesterday. Deck was consistent and very strong as ever. Lost very close to Esper-Deathblade (1-2, one mana short to Tutor-Chain for lethal in the last possible turn) and MUD (Game 2, I'm not joking here, he had Chalice 0 and 1, Sphere of Resistance, Trini, Golem and two Revokers ). Won against a strange G/W-Maverick-like-Deck with RiP and Helm, 2x Miracles (2-1 and 1-0 ) and Affinity with plenty Hatebears postboard.

Yesterday, I played ANT at our LGS for a GPT. The deck felt very strong, consistent and resilient.
    I went 3-2-1 overall... Not very good, but enough to convince me to play it at GP Paris, since I felt that may loses were not related to the deck itself or my skill (to some extend maybe).
    What I noticed that AdN felt not as strong as it should be and I'm thinking of replacing it with a second PiF and moving the AdN to the sideboard.
    I had to pass the turn after AdN three times, which is not a very good feeling at all. On the other hand it is just such a strong engine if it all comes together and often enables fast kills which were not possible with PiF.
    What a second PiF does at to the deck is more resilience to discard and a better late-game.
    It would push the deck even more to a grindy, slower combo deck but add even more consistence.

Did anyone of you tested to PiFs over the AdN?

Dec 2010
    GermOney

I wouldn't cut AdN entirely from your 75. It's another angle of attack which adds diversity to your deck. AdN may be not as strong as it tends to be in TES-Builds, but if you are used to cast it to draw a bunch of cards (I won a match against active counter-top by casting AdN during my opp's upkeep and then outplaying the Balance) or with enough mana floating or open landdrops it rarely dissapoints. Just don't expect it to be a direct gamewinner often. But it's still strong enough in what it does.

Ended 3-2 in a small tourney. Overall, I was happy with the deck's performance but felt like I could have played better. Short tourney report:

Pox: 2-0
    Mud: 0-2 (Turn 1 chalice, turn 2 Trinisiphere twice)
    UR Delver: 1-2 (Won game 1 via PIF. Got my infernal tutors surgically extracted on game 2. Kept a slow hand full of discard (mull to 6 or 5) on game 3 and had to slowly die to a deck in top deck mode. In hindsight, I felt like I should have shipped back my starting hand and looked for a faster hand.)
    12post: 2-0 (Opponent taps out, I win. Turn 2 kill on game 2 via Ad Naus.)
    Affinity: 2-0 (Turn 3 kill on game 1, Turn 2 kill on game 2).

Played about 6 pre-board games vs my teammate piloting TES after the tourney and won only once. TES was about a turn faster in both games.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Mother of God! Kills all cantrips..

Join us at Facebook!

Mother of God! Kills all cantrips..
    Not too many hatebears eh? On a side note, it still dies to the same answers we have.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by cheerios View Post
    Not too many hatebears eh? On a side note, it still dies to the same answers we have.
    Thank God there's Dread of Night

Join us at Facebook!

Jun 2013
    Hasselt, Belgium

While i'm definately not excited about another white hatebear i'm not sure this is better then canonist because theoretically you can win through this card and it dies to a single dread of night. Except d&t there probably isnt a deck that has space to run this along with their current hatebears.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Jin Gitaxias View Post
    While i'm definately not excited about another white hatebear i'm not sure this is better then canonist because theoretically you can win through this card and it dies to a single dread of night. Except d&t there probably isnt a deck that has space to run this along with their current hatebears.
    I disagree. The fact that it is good against ANY blue deck in Legacy makes it a superior MD choice than Cannonist alongside the increased power and therefore I expect it to side with Thalia in many D&T/Maverick/Junk mainboards while Cannonist remains a pure anti-storm card. SoL possibly replaces Revoker in D&T

Join us at Facebook!

God I feel so much anger right now, this is the point where this deck starts to turn into dredge in the metagame.. makes me sick on another entire level not only it ridiculously overpowered, how this could ever be a 3/1... But substarcts what fun in the game means to me for all decks and turns it into topdeck lunapark, clap clap for that idiot crying for BS banhammer... Is this GP paris legal? Since my tickets arent booked yet...

Jun 2013
    Hasselt, Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rosewater
    Also, because the creature is vulnerable to both creature destruction and enchantment destruction, the development team felt able to push it a little.
    http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin...g/daily/mm/283

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Jin Gitaxias View Post
    According to that nonsense Dryad Arbor should be a 3/1 or 2/2 as well? I don't know how that creature corners storm as a combo-deck, if High Tide and SneakShow get such a low blow. :/

PS: I'm rage-selling my whole hard-control cards

@Slosh: It's legal at 7th Feb, so yeah.

Join us at Facebook!

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Quote Originally Posted by cheerios View Post
    True, but SoL requires you to have said answer already in hand when she resolves. You can no longer fire off youe cantrips in order to dig for your 3 Abrupt Decays you boarded in.
    Discussing the impact of True-Name Nemesis on Legacy:

Quote Originally Posted by 2Rach View Post
    And format warping itself isn't necessarily a bad thing for that matter.

With up to 12 Hatebears is ANT almost dead?

- L

SoL possibly replaces Revoker in D&T

I don't think DnT players will cut Revoker for SotL, I guess they'll prefer to cut some number of Mindcensors and Flickerwisps.
    IMHO Revoker is just to good and versatile for their strategy.

Thread Information