Page 13 of 313 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: [Deck] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

Quote Originally Posted by nevilshute View Post
    The 5th place deck at the BoM ran a list with no AN in the main (http://mtgpulse.com/event/14791#210124). I've run with AN in the side for a while to some success, but has since then gone back to putting it in the main. Replacing AN with EtW gives you more turn 1 and 2 wins than AN does. It felt like it made the deck quite a bit more explosive. In the end for me personally, I missed AN too much for those times where it's your only real out. I've opted to run both AN and EtW main deck now and am currently quite happy with how the deck performs even if AN is more spikey now :)
    You can ask him directly about that design decision as Jamie is member of TheSource
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    You can ask him directly about that design decision as Jamie is member of TheSource
    That list is definitely alright to play. I was thinking that the other player was relying on past in flames alone. Personally I prefer one tendrils main and no etw, but I do not deny that lists using etw or burning wishe are effective.

I've gone 11-4 at GP DC, 10-3-1 at GP Denver, 8-2 at the Somerset SCG Open, won 2 IQ's, won 1 local Legacy event (~15 people), lost in the finals of 1 local Legacy event (~15 people), and won 1 GPT with ANT running no Ad Nauseams. That is my total sanctioned experience with Ad Nauseam-less ANT. I haven't had any impressive huge finishes, but I've consistently won a pretty high percentage of my matches with the deck. I'm not making any judgments for you as to whether this version is better or worse than normal ANT, but hopefully it shows you that the deck can certainly operate respectively well.

On the topic of Jamie's opinion on Ad Nauseam vs. EtW, he already talked about it in his BoM report here on The Source:

Quote Originally Posted by JamieW89 View Post
    Most lists play Ad Nauseam over the Empty, but I just didn’t like the card in this deck. In hindsight I feel these slots should be switched again, Ad Nauseam is enough better against some common matchups to want it while PiF & Tutor chains are almost always the way to go preboard anyways. Empty was good in most matchups though, and it’s definately not bad to cut the Ad Nauseam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonslayer_90 View Post
    On the topic of Jamie's opinion on Ad Nauseam vs. EtW, he already talked about it in his BoM report here on The Source:
    My original comment was towards what I thought was someone who wasn't able to find success with Ad Nauseum. I do not think one version is better than another, but I play with Ad Nauseum and one tendrils because I think the deck performs in a predictable way. Any thoughts I have on other versions are normally coming from my perspective of playing ANT against other versions as opposed to other decks vrs other versions of storm. Seeing these results and the reasoning behind it makes me want to look into it more. It is an interesting perspective on the meta game.

Hello everybody!

This night i was alone at home and make some play test on cocka and wanted to share my impresions:

This was the list:

1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Ad Nauseam
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Cabal Therapy
    4 Duress
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Badlands
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    3 Burning Wish
    1 Tropical Island
    SB: 3 Abrupt Decay
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Massacre
    SB: 1 Cabal Therapy
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 Virtue's Ruin
    SB: 1 Reverent Silence
    SB: 3 Xantid Swarm
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction

Dragon stompy: 0-2

The guy smashed me easly with very good hands both games. I thought probably wrongly that EtW would hurt him i took this side plan:

Op. 7 g1: u sea, swamp, it, wish, ToA, ponder, dark ritual. kp
    Op. 7 g2: u sea, duress, etw, wish, ponder, bstorm, dark ritual. bad kp.

-1 ToA -1 Probe + 1 Therapy +1 Warrens. Decay seemed very hard to cast with at least 7 moon effects in the other side.

BUG: 2-0

Op. 7 g1: no land
    Mull 6: probe, ponder, d ritual, c ritual, fetch, island. kp

Op 7 g2: therapy x 2, duress, probe, badland, fetch. Destroyed his hand.

side plan: -1 probe - 1 duress -1 dont remember (what do you suggest, maybe wish) + 3 xantid

Tin Fins: 2-1

g1 Mull 5: probe, c ritual, u sea, swamp, fetch

Op 7 g2: LED x 2, nausea, petal, probe, c ritual, u sea. kp.

Sode plan: -1 duress -1 therapy + 2 surgical.

POX?
    2-0

Op 7 g1: Wish, Bstorm, duress, fetch, probe x 2, volcanic. kp
    Op 7 g2: d ritual, duress, bstorm, petal, fetch x 2, island. kp

Side plan (wasnt pretty convinced. Didnt want to side at all): -1 probe - 1 duress +2 surgical.

Anycoment is welcomed!!

GC.

Apr 2011
    the Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by nevilshute View Post
    The 5th place deck at the BoM ran a list with no AN in the main (http://mtgpulse.com/event/14791#210124). I've run with AN in the side for a while to some success, but has since then gone back to putting it in the main. Replacing AN with EtW gives you more turn 1 and 2 wins than AN does. It felt like it made the deck quite a bit more explosive. In the end for me personally, I missed AN too much for those times where it's your only real out. I've opted to run both AN and EtW main deck now and am currently quite happy with how the deck performs even if AN is more spikey now :)
    When I spoke to Jamie this weekend he was even considering cutting Empty entirely from the 75, because every deck has TNN hate that wipes our goblins.. It is risky to go for 12 goblins like we used to, when you know that ANT can have a reasonable lategame. I think he almost always plays Ad Nauseam main, also in the 6-1 the day before BoM, but at that time it worked to play Empty main.

Mar 2012
    Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by jtos84 View Post
    My original comment was towards what I thought was someone who wasn't able to find success with Ad Nauseum. I do not think one version is better than another, but I play with Ad Nauseum and one tendrils because I think the deck performs in a predictable way. Any thoughts I have on other versions are normally coming from my perspective of playing ANT against other versions as opposed to other decks vrs other versions of storm. Seeing these results and the reasoning behind it makes me want to look into it more. It is an interesting perspective on the meta game.
    Yeah, man, try it out if you're curious. I'm not saying I'll never run AN in the main again, just that I've never felt like it was an "I win" card in ANT. Watching BBD play storm on camera this weekend didn't do anything to change my mind, either, and he even tweeted about whiffing on Ad Naus in an off-camera match.

Ad Nauseam is still good, it's just that we have all these other tools that provide consistency AND stability that it's worth being open-minded.

I played ANT against Team America and the new versions of Death and Taxes, and I just felt like it was meaningless to play. I felt ANT needed restructured, and what I ended up with was what you guys have been talking about on here with a few other cards. I cut preordain and went down to two gitaxian probes for three Lim-Dul's vaults and four Force of wills. I also put AD Nauseum in the s/b and put in Empty the Warrens. I also cut three duress for three thoughtseize. The discard package is three cabal therapy and three thoughtseize.

The testing results are undefeated against new Maverick, Cloudpost with Bonfires, and Zoo. I haven't had the opportunity to test it against blue yet, but that is what I will be working on today.

I should probably include the s/b too.

/ Sideboard
    SB: 2 Chain of Vapor
    SB: 1 Karakas
    SB: 3 Dread of Night
    SB: 2 Dark Confidant
    SB: 1 Ad Nauseam

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Probably going to pilot ANT in Nashville next weekend. You guys think a 16 can trip version will be okay with the new Spirit of the Labyrinth being a thing that will certainly be tried?

I was thinking:
    4 Ponder
    4 BS
    4 Perordain
    4 Gitaxian Probe

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 LED
    4 Lotus Petal

4 Infernal Tutor
    1 PiF
    1 Ad Nauseam
    1 Tendrils

3 Durress
    3 Cabal Therapy

4 Polluted Delta
    3 Scalding Tarn
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Swamp
    2 Island
    1 Volcanic Island
    2 Gemstone Mine

SB:
    1 Karakas
    3 Dread of Night
    1 Tendrils
    2 Chain of Vapor
    3 Xantid Swarm
    1 Tropical Island
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Thoughtseize

A tweak on the list that did well in Orlando. Not sure though if I wanted Dread of Night or Massacre. Massacre can stop an opposing SFM or TNN or something else, but DoN can drop on T1 and just keep everything off of the board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

^Why are you running 2nd Tendrils in the board?

The force of wills were good in some games, but it is not consistent enough. After that I tried a burning wish package, and that wasn't doing it either. The really tough matches are MUD and Team America. Two Lim-Dul's Vaults have been really good though. I have been trying to work on a s/b that can deal with the metagame after Spirit of the Labarynth is legal. So far this is what I have come up with:

/ Sideboard
    SB: 2 Chain of Vapor
    SB: 1 Karakas
    SB: 1 Dread of Night
    SB: 1 Massacre
    SB: 1 Tropical Island
    SB: 3 Ignorant Bliss

Biggest argument against Ad Nauseam in ANT in my mind is that you have to use Duress over Thoughtseize, having outs vs Goblins just means we need a Cabal Therapy in our graveyard while allowing a Meddling Mage or Vendilion Clique to resolve is just GG. Plus it makes Deathrite Shaman less annoying, and I'm sure we're going to be seeing loads of Thalia, Guardian of Thraiban and Spirit of the Labyrith here shortly.

If Ad Nauseam and Empty the Warrens are pretty equivalent as the second win condition, I'd rather play the one that lets me play with better disruption.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Patrunkenphat7 View Post
    ^Why are you running 2nd Tendrils in the board?
    It gives you the option of boarding it in and firing off a weaker tendrils against like a tempo deck and buy more time. I think it should probably be an empty the warrens though
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    Biggest argument against Ad Nauseam in ANT in my mind is that you have to use Duress over Thoughtseize, having outs vs Goblins just means we need a Cabal Therapy in our graveyard while allowing a Meddling Mage or Vendilion Clique to resolve is just GG. Plus it makes Deathrite Shaman less annoying, and I'm sure we're going to be seeing loads of Thalia, Guardian of Thraiban and Spirit of the Labyrith here shortly.

If Ad Nauseam and Empty the Warrens are pretty equivalent as the second win condition, I'd rather play the one that lets me play with better disruption.
    There are some pretty huge differences between AN and Empty… Like AN is great against Miracles where Empty is terrible; Empty is great against RUG Delver where AN is terrible. There are lots of differences besides the type of disruption you can run. That being said, I do agree that Empty lets you run better cards in your deck. I run comfortably play 2 Grim Tutors which helps the consistency of both PiF and Empty.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Been doing a lot of testing with Ant this past week so i don't feel incompetent with it. List for reference:

4 polluted delta
    4 scalding tarn
    1 bloodstained mire
    2 underground sea
    1 volcanic island
    1 tropical island
    1 island
    1 swamp

4 dark ritual
    4 cabal ritual
    4 lotus petal
    4 lion's eye diamond
    3 duress
    3 cabal therapy
    1 thoughtseize
    1 grim tutor
    4 infernal tutor
    4 ponder
    4 brainstorm
    4 gitaxian probe
    2 preordain
    1 tendrils of agony
    1 past in flames
    1 ad nauseum

SB:
    3 dark confidant
    1 massacre
    2 pyroclasm
    1 empty the warrens
    2 chain of vapor
    3 xantid swarm
    3 abrupt decay

Was beating up on Thalia decks despite them resolving the card, the sideboard is ok against them if they aren't dedicated against us. Ant's ability to win through Thalia is nice.

A friend on RUG was at first destroying me in postboard games after bringing in 2 graf cage, 2 fluster, x pyroblasts, 2 rough//tumble. I was running a lot of my discard into his soft counters though and the matchup improved after I slowed down. I could have also punished his boarding out of all the bolts by bringing in swarms, which I'd certainly try in an event after seeing those many cards postboard and still all the creatures in game two. Empty was useless.

Which leads me to my main point: I don't think Empty is a good postboard plan right now: There are a only a few decks currently that it is traditionally good against and a lot of those decks (along with the rest of the meta) are trying to answer elves/death and taxes/true name nemesis and are running someway to invalidate the tokens.

So that would free up a sideboard slot of another engine/finisher type card. I'm really thinking about doubling up on either tendrils or past in flames since they are pretty valuable cards to draw in certain matchups. Leaning towards the past in flames with all the delver decks around, but if I suspect more controlling decks, the tendrils is fine as well.

Thoughts?
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Matt, EtW isn't good as a post-SB option but very good pre-SB in spot of the Ad Nauseam. The gameplan of Grinding Station aka several Tendrils and/or PIF wasn't any good in my lastest testing. MB EtW as SB Telemin is my current choice.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Matt, EtW isn't good as a post-SB option but very good pre-SB in spot of the Ad Nauseam. The gameplan of Grinding Station aka several Tendrils and/or PIF wasn't any good in my lastest testing. MB EtW as SB Telemin is my current choice.
    There are too many discard decks running around me that I'm willing to drop the ad naus. Telemin is interesting.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Empty seems kind of weak in this deck? It seems like TES is more naturally better suited to take advantage of Empty since they are a turn faster than us. It may just be my bias. I don't like the card in general, seems totally beatable even without spash hate. I've beaten Belcher's T1 Empty by just playing creatures and blocking them into oblivion until I was able to stabilize.

EDIT: The point I was trying to make is that this deck seems too slow to take advantage of Empty. The deck operates on being able to sculpt resilient hands, which comes at the cost of speed more often than not. It seems like Empty is pretty bad against many decks past Turn 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Thread Information