Page 299 of 313 FirstFirst ... 199249289295296297298299300301302303309 ... LastLast
Results 5,961 to 5,980 of 6252

Thread: [Deck] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

Re: [Deck] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

Quote Originally Posted by CyrusCG View Post
    Polluted Delta: Finds every land in the deck.
    Bloodstained Mire: Finds both Bayou and Badlands but not basic Island or Tropical Island.
    Scalding Tarn: Finds every land but basic swamp if you are playing Badlands not Bayou.
    Misty Rainforest: Finds every land but basic swamp if you are playing Bayou not Badlands.

The reverse is not true. Scalding Tarn can not find Bayou and Misty Rainforest can not find Badlands.
    So depending on the configuration of your land base, one is strictly better.
    Maybe if you play 2 Island or you like to search basic Island a lot. Also, how you plan to SB. In the configuration given in the OP it is fine to have misty/tarn/mire. Also, it's easy to determine the duals you can search with each fetch.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    Maybe if you play 2 Island or you like to search basic Island a lot. Also, how you plan to SB. In the configuration given in the OP it is fine to have misty/tarn/mire. Also, it's easy to determine the duals you can search with each fetch.
    Regardless of how many Islands you play, one of them is literally strictly better than the other depending on if you are playing a Bayou or a Badlands.

Bloodstained Mire is personal preference, yes. Misty and Tarn find one less land than the other in the respective mana bases.

Well my Fetchlandbase is Delta/Mire/Misty atm, but I think with Badlands Tarns instead of Misty would be better.

Thanks for the explanations!

Mar 2010
    Amsterdam

Nothing new here, but to give an overview:

The standard manabase in the 4c variant:

You will be playing:
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    2 Sea
    1 Black/X Dual
    1 Blue/X Dual
    1 Blue/Y Dual
    8 Fetchlands

Your fetchland configuration has two main purposes:
    (1) Every land needs to be able to find every color.
    (2) Enough lands need to find basics of both colors.

Your personal view on the second point dictates your use of blue or black fetchlands beyond the 4 Polluted Delta.
    In a Bayou/Trop/Volc setup the blue fetch is Misty, and in Badlands/Volc/Trop it is Tarn, as they are able to find all the duals.
    The black fetchlands need to adhere to the first point made above, which means that it will be black plus the color of your single dual (2 green duals = Mire, 2 red duals = Catacombs).

I've always been happy with 7 blue and 5 black fetches in 8, so I've been going with 3 Misty/1 Mire and 3 Tarn/1 Catacombs. With 9 fetches I'd probably play 3/2 rather than 4/1. There are downsides to having too many lands which don't find basic Island though.
    37th GP Ams'11 | 80th GP Stras '13 | 5th BoM Paris '13 | 12th GP Lille '15

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

Quote Originally Posted by CyrusCG View Post
    Regardless of how many Islands you play, one of them is literally strictly better than the other depending on if you are playing a Bayou or a Badlands.

Bloodstained Mire is personal preference, yes. Misty and Tarn find one less land than the other in the respective mana bases.
    I agree with the Bayou / Badlands point of course just tend to forget that few people have the alternate land in the SB, in which case then you can give further consideration to the split. My point about Island is in reference to the mire in which case it's less needed if you tend to fetch island.

Quote Originally Posted by JamieW89 View Post

You will be playing:
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    2 Sea
    1 Black/X Dual
    1 Blue/X Dual
    1 Blue/Y Dual
    8 Fetchlands

Your personal view on the second point dictates your use of blue or black fetchlands beyond the 4 Polluted Delta.
    In a Bayou/Trop/Volc setup the blue fetch is Misty, and in Badlands/Volc/Trop it is Tarn, as they are able to find all the duals.
    The black fetchlands need to adhere to the first point made above, which means that it will be black plus the color of your single dual (2 green duals = Mire, 2 red duals = Catacombs).

I've always been happy with 7 blue and 5 black fetches in 8, so I've been going with 3 Misty/1 Mire and 3 Tarn/1 Catacombs. With 9 fetches I'd probably play 3/2 rather than 4/1. There are downsides to having too many lands which don't find basic Island though.
    Can btm10 put this in the primer?

You will be playing:
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    2 Sea
    1 Black/X Dual
    1 Blue/X Dual
    1 Blue/Y Dual
    8 Fetchlands

Thats a great summary thanks for that!

Just ask for a clarification, did you want to say '3 Misty/1 Catacombs and 3 Tarn/1 Mire' instead of another way round?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsang View Post
    Just ask for a clarification, did you want to say '3 Misty/1 Catacombs and 3 Tarn/1 Mire' instead of another way round?
    Mire gets a red source, catacombs a green, so misty/mire or tarn/catacombs would be a better breakdown as you still wind up with all fetches getting all colours

Tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.
    Mar 2014

Hi guys, this is the new Storm (ANT and TES) Discord chat:

https://discord.gg/uDsNmMs

You are all welcome!
    Enjoy!

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Maybe I'm being a moran, but would double-Tarn, singles Mire and Misty be deficient? I'm still on 14 lands maindeck, for the record, and I keep vacillating between double-Island and Island/Trop, either way with with a green land in the 'board.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Went 3-1 at our local shop, after a 4-0 and another 3-1 the weeks before.

I'm trying a clean RBU list that I'm still having trepidation on, despite the success. Seems everyone is discussing the values of Ground Seal and some sweet Sylvan Library tech. I'm confidant that I've got nothing revolutionary, but I haven't seen anybody talking much about anything but the 4 color variants.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Went 3-1 at our local shop, after a 4-0 and another 3-1 the weeks before.

I'm trying a clean RBU list that I'm still having trepidation on, despite the success. Seems everyone is discussing the values of Ground Seal and some sweet Sylvan Library tech. I'm confidant that I've got nothing revolutionary, but I haven't seen anybody talking much about anything but the 4 color variants.
    For what it's worth, I'm also on the straight Grixis plan and it's working well. I like not having to worry about Wasteland when deploying my sideboard cards.
    Riding the Spiral

Jan 2017
    USA

Re: [DTB] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

I play in a paper meta of 3-4 grixis delver decks, 2-3x czech piles or 4c control, 1-2x show and tell, 1x elves, 1-2x D&T, 1-2x Eldrazi, 1x burn, 1x manaless dredge, 1x dredge, 1-2x B/R reanimator, 1-2x Miracles, 1x Monored Sneak, 1x monoblack control.

I am currently using a list from Caleb Scherer just on grixis with 2 islands and 1 mb EtW. I have been really happy with the double island to invalidate the wasteland decks. My main struggle in my meta is the grixis delver decks and czech piles. I consistently end up in the top 8 with a decent amount of them (3+) and I feel like skill wise my opponents and I are playing the matchup well. My question are there any cards you guys can think of to help me leverage these matchups in the SB. They can definitely be skill intensive, but I notice that a lot of times it just comes down to who draws better. For example does anyone feel like splashing green and playing ground seal is worth it (I tried it briefly and haven't had enough time on it) for these matchups. My guess is that its good for 4c or czech, but probably not worth against grixis delver because it opens us up more to waste.

List:
    1 Ad Nauseam
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Cabal Ritual
    3 Cabal Therapy
    1 Dark Petition
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Duress
    1 Empty the Warrens
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Infernal Tutor
    2 Island
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Misty Rainforest
    1 Past in Flames
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Ponder
    2 Preordain
    1 Rain of Filth
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Swamp
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island

Sideboard:
    1 Cabal Therapy
    2 Chain of Vapor
    3 Chrome Mox
    2 Echoing Truth
    2 Fatal Push
    2 Hurkyl's Recall
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Thoughtseize

SB plan for Grixis Delver & 4c or Czech: -1 preordain, -1 dark petition, +1 thoughtseize, +1 cabal Therapy

One more thing has anyone tried search for azcanta?
    Last edited by Styroxis; 12-16-2017 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Styroxis View Post
    I play in a paper meta of 3-4 grixis delver decks, 2-3x czech piles or 4c control, 1-2x show and tell, 1x elves, 1-2x D&T, 1-2x Eldrazi, 1x burn, 1x manaless dredge, 1x dredge, 1-2x B/R reanimator, 1-2x Miracles, 1x Monored Sneak, 1x monoblack control.

I am currently using a list from Caleb Scherer just on grixis with 2 islands and 1 mb EtW. I have been really happy with the double island to invalidate the wasteland decks. My main struggle in my meta is the grixis delver decks and czech piles. I consistently end up in the top 8 with a decent amount of them (3+) and I feel like skill wise my opponents and I are playing the matchup well. My question are there any cards you guys can think of to help me leverage these matchups in the SB. They can definitely be skill intensive, but I notice that a lot of times it just comes down to who draws better. For example does anyone feel like splashing green and playing ground seal is worth it (I tried it briefly and haven't had enough time on it) for these matchups. My guess is that its good for 4c or czech, but probably not worth against grixis delver because it opens us up more to waste.

List:
    1 Ad Nauseam
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Cabal Ritual
    3 Cabal Therapy
    1 Dark Petition
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Duress
    1 Empty the Warrens
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Infernal Tutor
    2 Island
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Misty Rainforest
    1 Past in Flames
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Ponder
    2 Preordain
    1 Rain of Filth
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Swamp
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island

Sideboard:
    1 Cabal Therapy
    2 Chain of Vapor
    3 Chrome Mox
    2 Echoing Truth
    2 Fatal Push
    2 Hurkyl's Recall
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Thoughtseize

SB plan for Grixis Delver & 4c or Czech: -1 preordain, -1 dark petition, +1 thoughtseize, +1 cabal Therapy

One more thing has anyone tried search for azcanta?
    Try out pyroclasm against grixis delver, it is a mass removal almost every time and gain you time to sculpt a good hand to go off with.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post

Can btm10 put this in the primer?
    Sorry, I don't maintain the primer.

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

Quote Originally Posted by btm10 View Post
    Sorry, I don't maintain the primer.
    My mistake - it's bjholmes3. I guess I had the "b" correct.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Problem4tic View Post
    Try out pyroclasm against grixis delver, it is a mass removal almost every time and gain you time to sculpt a good hand to go off with.
    I can second this, I was able to win a game because my opponent opened game 2 with a Thoughtseize, took a tutor, but saw Pyroclasm. I opened with probe and saw a Delver and two DRS along with countermagic. He ended up just playing a DRS while we went tit for tat with discard and counters over 2 turns, he died with them in his hand.
    Any second discard from him or an extra Force to dedicate would have let him go all in and kill me for sure, and I had some clutch Ponders, so I'm not saying it was a breeze on my end, but just the threat of the card bought me the turns needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Been bouncing around on deck selection for years in Legacy and have recommited to storm recently. Got my first non mtgo action with the deck in about 2 years this weekend. I went 5 and 1 in legacy double up side events at gpnj. I drew with my opponents in round 4 each time but would have won g1 in each match (played while judges came with slips)

I beat some random stuff, mono R storm, tezzerator, food chain, but also beat br reanimator and czech pile. My loss was actually to miracles which I think is favored but I drew awkward hands. As is magic. I was on straight grixis basically calebs deck from scgdc. Deck felt really strong all weekend and in a format as random as legacy it was nice to clean up on random decks. I feel like 1 empty 1 ad nauseum 1 dark petition 1 tendrils 1 PIF is just the right combination to have... each option is too powerful in certain spots to forgo one of the win cons imo just wanted to post, decks great and magic is great haha

Quote Originally Posted by FavoredRevenant View Post
    For what it's worth, I'm also on the straight Grixis plan and it's working well. I like not having to worry about Wasteland when deploying my sideboard cards.
    Seconded, for what it's worth.

How bad would be to play both Tropical and Bayou in the sideboard?

Thread Information