Page 310 of 313 FirstFirst ... 210260300306307308309310311312313 LastLast
Results 6,181 to 6,200 of 6252

Thread: [Deck] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

Re: [DTB] ANT (Ad Nauseam Tendrils) Storm Combo

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    This, asymmetric hatebears are really dumb imo, the symmetric aspect is provoking deckbuilding and both tactical and strategic concessions, the present line is just easy answers and hosers

Personal tutor was a joke in 2010 and I cant see why it wouldnt be today

MD EtW - imo it's so good I based my build around it, rarely missing AdN it's a terrible hit or miss card
    Can you post your empty-based-list, Slosh?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    Can you post your empty-based-list, Slosh?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/player/42AD
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post

I have one question, Slosh: if I have to change Grim for Petition, is it still worth playing this list? Or is Grim a bit too integral? I understand it will change a little how the list plays out, and Petition is a little limiting in that it's lacking the utility of Grim, I'm just not interested in shelling out for a Grim in paper (at least until I'm sure it's worthwhile)

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

they're two different playstyles. both have the ability to win on turn 1/2/3, although the normal deck is expected to win a lot more on those turns. grinding station is meant to be a bit more interactive beyond discard spells.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by fangzie View Post
    I have one question, Slosh: if I have to change Grim for Petition, is it still worth playing this list? Or is Grim a bit too integral? I understand it will change a little how the list plays out, and Petition is a little limiting in that it's lacking the utility of Grim, I'm just not interested in shelling out for a Grim in paper (at least until I'm sure it's worthwhile)
    Difficult to answer, you wont be getting 100% but how much worse it would be I cant tell, the problem is DP isnt very good in fetching EtW T1/2 and doesnt search for AD well g1 so a 3rd Preordain might be a consideration instead, on the other hand a 2nd tutor for lower post GP consistency especially nice vs. SE in this list I do not care that much about SEd bussiness but Leyline is quite popular atm among CotV decks where both DP and 1cc spells can be awkward... So I dont know you can try both Preordain and DP, you'll lose some games due to it and win other... The more important thing is careful fetch management - be ready to draw the AD, fetch nonbasics unless having good reason not to, I'm also playing it as aggressively as any other build, board out EtW only vs Elves, board out LPs and CRs a lot, board for maximum interaction in combo MUs, do non deterministic PIF a lot

Site Contributor

May 2018

Hi all,

I'm new to ANT I was wondering if anyone could point me to a sideboard guide (preferably post-bannings, since most people seem to be off of Chrome Mox now which took up quite a bit of board space)? I'm particularly interested to see what/how much experienced ANT players bring in for different match ups, since current SB lists seem to be mostly answers to hate and I imagine overboarding can be quite bad.

Thanks!

P.S. Any tips for playing against LED Dredge?

Jun 2016
    Tampere, Finland

Quote Originally Posted by shonenkakumei View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new to ANT I was wondering if anyone could point me to a sideboard guide (preferably post-bannings, since most people seem to be off of Chrome Mox now which took up quite a bit of board space)? I'm particularly interested to see what/how much experienced ANT players bring in for different match ups, since current SB lists seem to be mostly answers to hate and I imagine overboarding can be quite bad.
    Sideboard guide

Quote Originally Posted by shonenkakumei View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks!

P.S. Any tips for playing against LED Dredge?
    the most played list Cyrus Corman-Gill list

alternative Grixis list

Don't keep hands without interaction (discard, Flusterstorm, gy hate) or really fast kill, with a bit of luck on your side or appropriate SB it should be ok, generally the MU is about 50/50 depending on the lists, they might have B or W leyline (prevents Crypt) or Silent Gravestone, otherwise the usualy list of Orim67 has no relevant interaction, what to extract/extirpate depends on the gamestate but generally Narcomoeba is a good target, getting rid of dredgers is not really preferable unless they go all in

Hey all, took down the 103 person Legacy Challenge yesterday! Two weeks in a row for ANT as monkeyscantcry won it last week. This deck is pretty solidly the best deck in the format in my eyes. Mods, don't move it out of DTB again, every time you do that I have to go and win another tournament and it is getting exhausting! :)
    This was my list:
    15 Lands:
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Misty Rainforest
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    2 Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Swamp
    45 Spells:
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Duress
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Infernal Tutor
    1 Dark Petition
    2 Past in Flames
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Ad Nauseam
    4 Lion’s Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    SB:
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Xantid Swarm
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Hurkyl’s Recall
    2 Echoing Truth
    2 Chain of Vapor
    2 Extirpate
    1 Massacre
    1 Empty the Warrens

And here were my matchups:
    R1: 2-0 Sneak and Show
    R2: 2-1 Sneak and Show
    R3: 2-0 Czech Pile
    R4: 2-1 Eldrazi
    R5: 1-2 Czech Pile
    R6: 2-1 Izzet Delver
    R7: 2-0 Grixis Control
    QF: 2-0 Punishing Thieves
    SF: 2-1 Eldrazi Post
    F: 2-1 Grixis Phoenix

I ran 74/75 of monkeyscantcry's list. Neither of us are convinced on Extirpate but seeing Slosh crush with it convinces me every couple months to try it again. Notably cut the Rain of Filth from the main for the 4th Duress to make room in the sideboard for Extirpates.

Site Contributor

May 2018

Thanks Slosh, Kylis for the sideboard information. Amazing info, with great formatting. I'll see how it goes tonight.

And congrats Cryus on another great finish!

I've been having some success with a Grixis list based on Sloshthedark's double ToA/PiF list. One of the nicest things about the list is when people try to lock down your Infernal Tutors (highly common play for all the SB Surgicals) and you can just start fishing for other outs because the natural Tendrils is much easier to come by. This was exemplified best tonight where, in a blast-from-the-past, my Patriot Delver opponent rocking the Meddling Mage has their hand of double FoW, double Surgical, double Daze, and Pierce come apart because I happened to have a non-Infernal Tutor in my grip (and because my opponent happened to not be playing Canonist for whatever reason):

Quote Originally Posted by wonderPreaux View Post
    I've been having some success with a Grixis list based on Sloshthedark's double ToA/PiF list. One of the nicest things about the list is when people try to lock down your Infernal Tutors (highly common play for all the SB Surgicals) and you can just start fishing for other outs because the natural Tendrils is much easier to come by. This was exemplified best tonight where, in a blast-from-the-past, my Patriot Delver opponent rocking the Meddling Mage has their hand of double FoW, double Surgical, double Daze, and Pierce come apart because I happened to have a non-Infernal Tutor in my grip (and because my opponent happened to not be playing Canonist for whatever reason):
    Nice, classic scenario among TKS on ToA and alike, feels great, what's your list exactly?

Well, dropping green and running 60 cards are obvious differences, but they're pretty similar lists fundamentally:

2 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    2 Past in Flames
    1 Grim Tutor
    4 Infernal Tutor

4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual

4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Preordain

3 Thoughtseize
    2 Duress
    2 Cabal Therapy
    1 Wipe Away

4 Polluted Delta
    3 Scalding Tarn
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Badlands
    2 Island
    1 Swamp

3 Hurkyl's Recall
    2 Echoing Truth
    2 Chain of Vapor
    2 Dread of Night
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Extirpate
    1 Night's Whisper
    1 Ad Nauseam

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

Well, dropping green and running 60 cards are obvious differences, but they're pretty similar lists fundamentally:
    I have tried to put Duress somewhere in the deck (SB ,-CT, etc) but have not had any luck. It also makes side board more difficult. The only thing I like about the GP ban is that grim seems to have a solid place and has no problem with SE or crypt. Agree on the dbl ToA and true during both PiF lines and AdN. If I could replace a card, it might be for an additional land (17). BTW, we've played online a number of times and I'm surprised when you play grim and the next time you're on TES

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Is the consensus at this point that eight discards are better than seven and a Rain of Filth? I love to make it rain and don't like flooding on discards in a number of matchups, but I'm open to messing with my build. Haven't gotten the chance to Storm it up in some time, and I miss it.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    The only thing I like about the GP ban is that grim seems to have a solid place and has no problem with SE or crypt. Agree on the dbl ToA and true during both PiF lines and AdN. If I could replace a card, it might be for an additional land (17).
    I do like 16 lands somewhat (I'm running 15 compared to Slosh because I can't do the 61-card special). I had a build a while back with 16 lands that ran 5 basics and 4 Preordains for maximum smoothness in the early game -- it was kinda cool but I lost interest in it. I've been fine with the 15 I have right now, keeping an eye out for whether Badlands is better than a 2nd Swamp (it has been so far).

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    Is the consensus at this point that eight discards are better than seven and a Rain of Filth? I love to make it rain and don't like flooding on discards in a number of matchups, but I'm open to messing with my build. Haven't gotten the chance to Storm it up in some time, and I miss it.
    I have tried to put Duress somewhere in the deck (SB ,-CT, etc) but have not had any luck. It also makes side board more difficult.
    I do like a mix of Thoughtseize and Duress, it makes for better games against Surgical, the lower lifeloss is good when you have Grim Tutor in the mix as opposed to Dark Petition, and 5 proactive discard + 7 proactive cantrips gives me a comfortable 12 active plays in the first few turns to smoothly churn through to Threshold (you rarely want to lead on Brainstorm/Cabal Therapy). As for the precise number of discard, if I wasn't running the SB Ad Nauseam to accommodate the Wipe Away and Grim Tutor angle, I wouldn't be on 8 discard, I'd likely run a 4th Preordain over Wipe Away.

Part of Cabal Therapy's use, for me, is that it does come out in some matchups where I don't want to trip up on too much discard (the flooding Ronald refers to). There are some matchups, like Dark Depths and, to an extent, Reanimator/Lock decks, where an initial discard can be good to held you get a hold of the game. So I'd keep the 5 Seize/Duress, but you wouldn't really want too many more discards, because slowing down the game too much favors their topdecks better; you need higher quality interaction (Hurkyl's/Fluster) or a quick kill. Instead of trimming from a pool of 7/8 Seize+Duress, I mix in Therapy as the higher-quality discard, since a mix of those, especially w/ EtW, breaks the back of tempo/control decks -- the matchups where the full suite of discard is most worth your while. Generally, the matchups where you want to trim some discard are where Therapy doesn't shine anyway, so it's an easy cut, whereas the matchups where you want all the discard, Therapy is a great addition. Also, EtW and Therapy, while they do have great synergy, they aren't like salt and pepper shakers, sometimes I SB out EtW, SB out Therapy, or SB out the whole kit.

BTW, we've played online a number of times and I'm surprised when you play grim and the next time you're on TES
    I do rotate through both ANT and TES, it's all pretty fun for me either way. It's cool to meet another MTGO leaguer, I feel like I've played against more storm lately, so maybe it's getting popular.

Hi everyone,

I took a list similar to the one I was discussing above to a CFB 3K tournament today and got 9th out of 90-something people with a 5-1-1 record (drew round 7 at 4th place, tiebreaker'd into 9th???). Interestingly enough, of the 8 or so ANT players I saw throughout the first couple rounds, 5 made it to the top 16 and 2 made it to the top 8.

I might type out a more proper tournament report later, but here's a brief run-down of matchups:
    Round 1: Miracles - 2:1
    Round 2: Dragon Stompy - 2:0
    Round 3: UW Stoneblade - 2:0
    Round 4: UB Death's Shadow - 2:0
    Round 5: ANT - 1:2
    Round 6: Slow Depths - 2:0

I'm liking this list a lot, the changes I made for the tourney were minor and mostly involved the SB, which I think is about 1 card away from where I'd like it to be.

Interestingly enough, of the 8 or so ANT players I saw throughout the first couple rounds, 5 made it to the top 16 and 2 made it to the top 8.
    It was nice meeting you in person! I finished just after you in 10th. I only had 15 points though. Nice job!

Jul 2009
    Cleveland

Does anyone have thoughts about the 3rd place list from the most recent challenge with Arclight Phoenixes?
    @turingTested on twitter
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    これは水である。

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by merfolkotpt View Post
    Does anyone have thoughts about the 3rd place list from the most recent challenge with Arclight Phoenixes?
    I'm not sold on Phoenix on paper (lol). Has some distinct advantages over Empty the Warrens: not vulnerable to Staticaster/Golgari Charm/etc., has evasion and haste, and only needs a spell count and mana count of 3 to get the show on the road. But it also requires a lot more spots in the deck, doesn't solve the "multiple copies still lose to Echoing Truth" problem, and is totally dead in our hand. Seems like an interesting piece of tech; I'm just not sure it's better than what we're already doing. But I'd be interested to hear what people think who've piloted it to success.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Thread Information