Thread: Living plane at pendrell vale

Jan 2013
    Rome

Living plane at pendrell vale

Let's discuss this together.. ive been playing it with some friends with tournaments deck and did quite well. What do you think about it...actually it's hard to imagine it without playing it.

Istants
    4 *Boomerang
    3 *Brainstorm
    4 *Counterspell
    1 *Crop Rotation
    2 *Evacuation
    4 *Force of Will
    3 *Simoon
    4 *Unsummon
    Enchantments
    4 *Living Plane
    4 *Root Maze
    4 *Standstill
    Artifacts
    2 *Chrome Mox
    1 *Crucible of Worlds
    1 *Lotus Petal
    2 *Mox Diamond
    1 *Winter Orb
    Lands
    2 *Forest
    1 *Ghost Quarter
    4 *Island
    1 *The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    4 *Tropical Island
    4 *Wasteland

SIDEBOARD:
    4 Hurkyl's Recall
    1 Simoon
    4 Submerge
    2 Choke
    4 Cursed Totem

This nasty game strategy provide mass land destruction to green. Living Plane turns all lands into 1/1 creatures that still count as lands. The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale then forces your opponent to tap all these newly created creatures or sacrifice them on his or her next upkeep. With all your opponent's creatures either tapped or destroyed, you can sacrifice the Tabernacle (instead of paying its upkeep) on your turn, thus saving the rest of your land/creatures to attack.

More in detail:

It is basically a blue controll deck as you can see.The point is not to get the combo fast since its not based on fetching for the key cards but is more about control the board and wait till you have established control of the game countering stuff.
    How does it works apart from that and what are the cards synergy:

Living Plane + The tabernacle at pendrell vale : Locks out the opponent not allowing him to play anything than istants during his upkeep. Assuming you can deal with the Tabernacle yourself, you can assume your opponent will not be able to. For each land they have, they will have to tap a land to keep it in play. And thus, you have created a lockdown for your opponent.All of their creatures or lands will die depends on what he pays. Of course it's easy to have an istant enchantment destroyer or an istant creature (tabernacle) kill. But is that happens that's why we have counter for. If they are able to remove one of them however they still will have to sac the lands used to cast the spell since the tabernacle triggers no matter what ( i'm not sure of this could we discuss about it toghter?). You will also be locked but that's why we have mana artifacts for. Plus, during your upkeep, fail to pay for the tabernacle first to stop the triggered effect.

Living Plane is strong even without tabernacle but if you have a simoon or an evacuation to play on the turn after. I won't drop it in other circumstances.

CRUCIBLE OF WORLDS : Let you recover you tabernacle each turn after you sac it

ROOT MAZE :
    Perfect against fetches. Slows down even more the opponent. Good interact with Tabernacle. Allows you to avoid tabernacle being destroyed by wastelands. Great interaction with standstill giving you more chances to drop it on second turn.

STANDSTILL : draw machine that helps you drawing more cards.With moxes you can be able to drop it on turn 1 or turn 2 after root maze

WASTELAND : You have to keep them on the board and use them mostly to destroy opponent wastelands.

SIMOON : Does ARMAGEDDON to the opponent while living plane is in game and of course kill weenies

[/CARDS]EVACUATION[/CARDS] : Bounces all the threats or does mass board reset with living plane in game

BOOMERANG : bounces everything,mostly opponent mana artifacts or creatures and also your own tabernacle if targeted. Has many uses no need to explain i think

UNSUMMON : same as boomerang especially with living plane in game.

WINTER ORB : Gives an extra chance to slow the opponent.

CROP ROTATION: Used to get out tabernacle or other lands

Maybe i'll add a couple of CONTROL CREATURE to the main list. still not sure.
    Tell me what you think.
    Last edited by guybrush3; 03-11-2013 at 07:04 AM.

Re: Living plane at pendrell vale

Quote Originally Posted by guybrush3 View Post
    This nasty game strategy provide mass land destruction to green. Living Plane turns all lands into 1/1 creatures that still count as lands. The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale then forces your opponent to tap all these newly created creatures or sacrifice them on his or her next upkeep. With all your opponent's creatures either tapped or destroyed, you can sacrifice the Tabernacle (instead of paying its upkeep) on your turn, thus saving the rest of your land/creatures to attack.
    Sadly, if you reach your upkeep with Tabernacle and Living plane your land-creatures will trigger at the same time and even though you can order the triggers to let Tabernacle die first, the rest will still resolve independently making you also have to tap your lands to save them.

While I like the idea of the lock, you only have four non land mana producers to pay for Tabernacle and let some of your lands live and attack a couple of life points a turn, no reliable way to find Living Plane, just one Tabernacle/Crop with a miser CoW if it gets destroyed (what if it gets StPed?) and only eight counters as permanent answers to threats, so let me express some doubts of the viability of the deck even without having tested it.

Jan 2013
    Rome

Ok,thank for making things clear about that. So in a certain view that might be even better because if they try to destroy one ofthe two key pieces after their untap phase they won't be able to stop triggering the lock for one turn. Example; they dark banishing your tabernacle,they'll still loose a turn.
    However I think the point of the lock is not locking the opponent but locking both players until you bounce the cretures he dropped till then (you think there will be too many and I ll be too slow with 8 counters?). You have a good point about the mana artifacts that's why i think a lotus bloom x1 will help finish the game being able to cast it while locked and giving you the sufficient mana to remove his threats with unsummon , boomerang , Simoon ( or even better evacuation ; that will affects you with no counterback apart from the fact that it will slow more the game but will save you from a player who has dropped more than one creature) and start attacking with a couple of lands each turn till he slowly dies. What do you think?

While I like the idea of the lock, you only have four non land mana producers to pay for Tabernacle and let some of your lands live and attack a couple of life points a turn, no reliable way to find Living Plane, just one Tabernacle/Crop with a miser CoW if it gets destroyed (what if it gets StPed?) and only eight counters as permanent answers to threats, so let me express some doubts of the viability of the deck even without having tested it.[/QUOTE]

I also have doubts that's why im trying to build it with you :) .You are right about no reliable way to find Living Plane but I didn't want to add tutors to make it a combo deck.Of course you could end having all four of them at the bottom of the deck and that will be very bad. Not sure I could resist till then. Maybe gamble will help?Dunno.I wanted to build a control deck that survives without the 2 keys card coming out immediately. I might consider adding 3 more crop rotation and was thinking at arcane laboratory x3 , a card that doesn't see much play in legacy but i'm sure that these days it will give hard time to most of the decks around (plus helping you control the board)

Thanks for the reply mate.

I really like this, I hope I'm not to late to this thread,
    I was thinking of something like this for a really mean casual to stick it to the noobs but you have inspired me to consider this in legacy.
    I was thinking black instead of blue, run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth allowing the Tabernacle to tap for its self and use the artifact mana to pay for Hunted Horror because the opponents can't pay for the 3/3s.

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Nether Spirit could be useful here.

Gaea's Cradle + Tabernable + Living Plane = goldfishing

4 Crop Rotation and 4 Enlightned Tutor help.

This deck should go Bant

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

I'd suggest GB pox style. Your strategy is based entirely around living plane. without it you are just playing a terrible deck.

living plane
    nature's revolt
    kormus bell

Those can add consistency

you could play something like night of souls' betrayal and lock the game down. You could at that point win with a nether spirit or bloodghast . Black plays urborg, tomb of yawgmoth which turns all lands into swamps and activates kormus bell. Instead of bouncing lands you can play sinkhole and abrupt decay.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Oct 2013
    Seattle, WA

I dunno about Kormus Bell, it seems like if you're making a 3-card lock with two of the pieces 4cmc you might as well just play geddon stax or something

Re OP: Electrickery is basically a strict upgrade to Simoon

The main issue I see is that you have 5 accel (moxen, lotus petal) and a cmc4 combo piece with little protection besides bounce, FoW, and Root Maze. This makes for a really slow lock and seems pretty vulnerable to manadenial. It seems like either deck needs a way to win without resolving a Living Plane, or it needs a way to get a fast, consistent lock; it has neither right now.

Thread Information