Thread: Angels of Agony (AoA)

Angels of Agony (AoA)

In my search for the perfect Ad Nauseam deck I have come across quite a few variations, from TES to ANT and everything in between. This current project of mine is based on the Modern Ad Nauseam list; NegNauseam as my teammate has termed it.

4 Angel's Grace
    4 Ad Nauseam
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    2 Preordain
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Chrome Mox
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Pact of Negation
    2 Silence
    2 Cabal Therapy
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Scrubland
    1 Tundra
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Island
    1 Swamp

SB:
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Dark Confidant
    1 Massacre
    9????

I have not gotten to take this to a tournament yet and it has minimal testing. The idea is that this is the optimal Ad Nauseam deck in that it can just draw the whole deck and win on the spot. The other nice thing is that you get to play the full 4 Ad Nauseam. Any thoughts, comments, or ideas would be appreciated.

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Angel's of Agony (AoA)

Seems very similar to what was discussed and tested in this thread http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...Cunning-Nausea

Re: Angel's of Agony (AoA)

Quote Originally Posted by nevilshute View Post
    Seems very similar to what was discussed and tested in this thread http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...Cunning-Nausea
    I must have missed that thread when I checked before. Sorry for the semi repost.

Re: Angels of Agony (AoA)

After looking at that thread more I've come to the conclusion that these decks are enough different to try to keep this one live. This deck actually has the option to cast Ad Nauseam without Angel's Grace in order to win where with the other deck that's a death wish. Upon goldfishing some more one of the most common lines of play are to cast Ad Nauseam turn 1 to draw into enough cards to actually go off.

Apr 2011
    Århus, Denmark

FYI, this idea is not really new. Back when Ad Nauseam was released, different builds competed to be the successsor of the Iggy Pop storm deck (A storm deck more reliant on Ill-Gotten Gains). Decks playing Ad Nauseam + Angel's Grace were tried, but ultimately were left behind. I was just getting into legacy at the time, so I don't know too much about it, but I'm pretty sure they were either not as consistent (being two card combo decks) or not as fast as the Lion's Eye Diamond/Infernal Tutor decks. Or both.
    If you just want to be creative/do your own thing/etc., regardless of power level considerations, go ahead and brew as you wish. If you are looking for something that in certain metagames could be as good as or better than the Storm decks currently played, I'd suggest that you take a good look at the ANT and TES treads, and try to figure out exactly what you are doing differently, and when that would tend to be a better thing to do. If you just want to play a combo deck with counterspells, take a look at the Show and Tell based decks, too.

Regards, and good luck either way.
    Add more land.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

The Problem is that you can't run Legacy's best mana accelerant in LED, but need another card for the combo which isn't required in storms Legacy siblings. Having Mana + Tutor is enough for TES and ANT while here, you need the A. Grace right before casting a 5cc Spell (plus protection obviously).

It's similar to the dilemma between SneakShow and OmniTell. The primer is a 2-card-combo between a creature + S&T/Sneak Attack, while the second deck needs 3 cards between S&T/Dream Halls + Omniscience/Dream Halls + Enter the Infinite, which makes the mono blue deck struggle with it's consistancy against discard and SneakShow the more streamlined/successful deck.

I've played pretty much every storm deck, from iggy pop to grim long, to a decent amount of success. I'm merely trying to capitalize on the fact that an Ad Nauseam in your opening hand is infinitely better than one you tutor for. So far in testing this deck I've noticed you rarely have both pieces, and the mana to cast them, early. However the deck is good at firing off a turn 1 ad nauseam drawing into the actual combo quite well. It seems that people have forgotten that ad nauseam by itself is the best draw card in the format. Instead of aiming to get all the pieces together, just aim to draw them and actually win from there.

Thread Information