Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Article] December 2013 Legacy Metagame Analysis

[Article] December 2013 Legacy Metagame Analysis

http://www.channelfireball.com/artic...game-analysis/

I had a lot of fun writing this piece, and it took a fair bit of work as well. Enjoy!!!

Also, I'm only replying to comments posted at the end of the article on CFB's site. Thanks!
    Last edited by Griselpuff; 12-05-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Re: [Article] December 2013 Legacy Metagame Analysis

Thanks for the article!

Very good article. I will say though that it looked like a lot of Death and Taxes builds were already adjusting to the splash hate of True Name. I saw lists with less creatures like Mangara of Corondor and the return of Serra Avenger.

Still, they do get hit pretty hard with -x/-x effects.

Great, great article!

Great article. Thanks!

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Interesting read. Not quite sure why you class Burn as a combo deck?

Apart from Jund, which you said was on the decline, all the Aggro decks are Blue based with Delver and/or TNN.
    In fact 18 of the 25 decks listed are blue.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Site Contributor

May 2013
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    Interesting read. Not quite sure why you class Burn as a combo deck?

Apart from Jund, which you said was on the decline, all the Aggro decks are Blue based with Delver and/or TNN.
    In fact 18 of the 25 decks listed are blue.
    Burn is effectively combo because it doesn't interact with its opponent if possible. Its just a simple linear combo deck that consists of all redundant combo pieces that to 3 damage for 1 mana.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    But winning out of nowhere takes away the fun of grinding out your opponents with Manlands. Nothing is more satisfying than a game of Magic where you throw away half the fun, and claim the other half for yourself and leave your opponent with zero fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Haven't you heard? The default color for cards being designed is blue. They have to remember to change the color when finishing the card.

Quote Originally Posted by L0cke View Post
    Burn is effectively combo because it doesn't interact with its opponent if possible. Its just a simple linear combo deck that consists of all redundant combo pieces that to 3 damage for 1 mana.
    That's a ridiculous statement and most mtg players would not classify like that.

The definition of Aggro or Combo should not hinge on the so called interaction. To be called a combo, the deck has to have somewhat distinct or unique creation of advantage over 2~3 combo pieces. If you cannot identify these combo pieces, then it's just the overall synergy of the deck. Hence, you confused yourself with deck synergy and combo pieces. Also, by your definition, Burn, Dredge, Affinity are all combo decks, which is wrong.

With that said, Burn definitely has interaction against other aggro decks, taking out problematic creatures, or even taking out the combo creature piece.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Mountain + Lightning Bolt, oldest combo in Magic, still going strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Great article! I don't understand why Show and Tell decks are somehow assumed to be bad matchups for ANT though... Show and Tell into Griselbrand is good, but every other combination of their combo cards is too slow. The discard also rips their hand to shreds. Post-SB Xantid Swarm is insane and trumps the high-variance Leylines.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Patrunkenphat7 View Post
    Great article! I don't understand why Show and Tell decks are somehow assumed to be bad matchups for ANT though... Show and Tell into Griselbrand is good, but every other combination of their combo cards is too slow. The discard also rips their hand to shreds. Post-SB Xantid Swarm is insane and trumps the high-variance Leylines.
    Show & Tell -> Griselbrand is effectively game over for any storm deck. FoW on demand is really strong. Lifelink to follow up is even stronger. Xantid Swarm is roughly the only way to break out of that.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Show & Tell -> Griselbrand is effectively game over for any storm deck. FoW on demand is really strong. Lifelink to follow up is even stronger. Xantid Swarm is roughly the only way to break out of that.
    Yes, I pointed out that Show and Tell into Griselbrand is good (even though I've beaten resolved Griselbrand multiple times in sanctioned games), but their combo consists of S+T Griselbrand, S+T Emrakul, Sneak Attack Griselbrand, or Sneak Attack Emrakul. 3 of those 4 combinations are too slow against the Storm deck. Also the discard is much better than the Forces in this matchup, as the person with the discard gets to decide if they are going to be the combo or control player based on the situation. I am always happy to play against Sneak and Show with my Storm deck.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

I can get behind Bob's classifications here:

Aggro decks primarily focus on attacking with creatures and removing opposing creatures (Zoo for example), whereas Burn kind of has Grim lavamancer and Goblin Guide in it's back pocket just in case. You could play the more "Sligh" version with more creatures and less flame rift effects, but I think the more spell based "combo" version is better positioned.

I like how he classifies death and taxes and maverick as control decks as well, even though they aren't what most people would think of when they think of "classic" control.

Kind of a sad day when blue has the best aggressive 1 drop and the most resilient 3 drop creature in addition to the most powerful spells.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Patrunkenphat7 View Post
    Yes, I pointed out that Show and Tell into Griselbrand is good (even though I've beaten resolved Griselbrand multiple times in sanctioned games), but their combo consists of S+T Griselbrand, S+T Emrakul, Sneak Attack Griselbrand, or Sneak Attack Emrakul. 3 of those 4 combinations are too slow against the Storm deck. Also the discard is much better than the Forces in this matchup, as the person with the discard gets to decide if they are going to be the combo or control player based on the situation. I am always happy to play against Sneak and Show with my Storm deck.
    My experience has been the opposite, so I'd probably put it at a 50/50 matchup that's dependent on the draws from each deck. Just as Sneak Show needs to find Show & Tell, Storm needs to find discard.

RE: article
    It dawned on me reading this article that the majority of Legacy's "Aggro" decks are really Brainstorm-Delver decks. This is sad.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    I like how he classifies death and taxes and maverick as control decks as well, even though they aren't what most people would think of when they think of "classic" control.

Kind of a sad day when blue has the best aggressive 1 drop and the most resilient 3 drop creature in addition to the most powerful spells.
    Let's see what's the so called best aggressive 1 drop? Aether Vial, DRS, and Goblin guide. Which one of them is Blue?

To call Death and Taxes control is just being lazy. Death and Taxes is implementing Prison strategy. To be more precise, it's actually Aggro-control without Counters.

Maverick is not control, it's a different from of Midrange, just as Shardless BUG is a form of Midrange. However, I personally dislike this so called concept of Midrange, I would rather call both decks Aggro-control as well.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

How is Delver of Secrets not on a list of best aggressive 1-drops in Legacy? Also. I am petty sure that Aether Vial is a control card now.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

My only beef with the way you classified decks as aggro,control and combo is that it is done in such a way that the top 8 finishes are broken down in to be relatively even across the board. This is misleading as you admit there are decks in some categories that do not really fit the concept of either aggro, combo or control, making the spread of top 8 finishes not as neat as your list would have a reader believe. I think that archetype part detracts from what you are trying to accomplish, and you should have just gone straight into discussing different decks/metagame choices, and then reference the apparent decline in combo as something like since TNN release, ANT, Showntell, Omnitell etc have only accounted for X% of all top 8 finishes.

Aug 2013
    Georgia

I think that the argument about Blue's dominance of the color pie is about as ridiculous as that stupid clay things that shows up when I Google'd my username. Especially when used to assert that TNN "should have been white".

Blue is good first and foremost because it 1.) allows you to find crap and 2.) allows you to keep your crap safe and 3.) keeps you safe from your opponent's crappiest crap. Take away cantrips and the game turns into Standard topdeck mising contests. Take away counters and suddenly SI is the best deck in town (which I think most of you doomsday preachers would agree would be unhealthy for the format ). When I read about complaints regarding Brainstorm being everywhere, so what? Brainstorm makes Legacy better. Decks that run it resist discard and find their crap. It's as format-defining, I would argue, as the black tutors are in Vintage. It makes the format work. As for complaints about blue having the "best aggro cards", when was the last time you lost to a mono-U aggro deck?

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by bjholmes3 View Post
    As for complaints about blue having the "best aggro cards", when was the last time you lost to a mono-U aggro deck?
    This misses the point entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post

It dawned on me reading this article that the majority of Legacy's "Aggro" decks are really Brainstorm-Delver decks. This is sad.
    Welcome to the sad club.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

When people stopped trying to splash Blue in aggro decks to play Delver and just tore out a Zoo color instead, that was an early indicator that there was imbalance in the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclad
    Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Welcome to the sad club.
    It would have been enough to, like, maybe just have printed Delver, right? He's "just a beater" after all, and while that's still a bit outside the flavor scope of Blue, at the end of the day it isn't like it doesn't die to Shock. We'd have this putative "UR Counterburn" deck which used to be a vaunted imaginary archetype instead of the pissy Rug Delver + GoodStuff thing we have now.

Hell, if they'd printed Snapcaster in Red like many players wish they had, decks like RUG Delver would remain largely unchanged, *and* we might have one or two more viable "non-Blue decks with Red" floating around.

In fact, as I think about it, the argument for a Red Snapcaster is as good as any an argument for a "non-Blue TNN". Forget about WotC justifications for the color of certain cards for a minute -- think about what experiments might be possible if every other card in Magic were exactly the same, only Snapcaster Mage cost 1R and True-Name Nemesis cost 1WW. The fact that such attractive cards exist in those colors drives people to build in those colors. Whether Blue ends up in those decks is incidental; the way players shell a card necessarily changes significantly between colors, especially when you're dealing with double-colored casting costs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Thread Information