Thread: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal Episode 14: Field Reports

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

[Podcast] Everyday Eternal Episode 14: Field Reports

Click here!

In episode 14 of #EverydayEternal, Matt Pavlic (sdematt) and and Sam Craven (thecrav) are joined by another tournament topping guest, Bob Huang (@silyaznfoo), who recently Top 16′ed both Grand Prix: DC and StarCityGames Providence Legacy Open.

All three casters have tournament reports including Grand Prix: DC, The Vancouver Legacy Classic, and StarCityGames Providence. We do a bit more analysis on True-Name Nemesis, including the impact on Legacy and where we see the metagame going from here. We close out with a bit of listener feedback.

Here’s the timestamped table of contents for your listening ease and enjoyment:
    01:25 Sam’s terrible Grand Prix: DC report
    05:30 Matt’s report on the Vancouver Legacy Classic
    10:56 Bob’s report on Grand Prix: DC and StarCityGames Providence Legacy Open
    20:04 True-Name Nemesis – How the metagame is adjusting and will continue to adjust, and the best TNN and anti-TNN decks
    44:10 Recent insane plays
    48:24 Graveyard hate (or, “How I learned to stop worrying and hate the graveyard”)
    55:25 Outro

Links of Interest

Grand Prix: DC Coverage
    StarCityGames Providence Legacy Open Top 16 Decklists

Thanks again for listening! If you have any questions or just want to chat, let us know on Twitter (@EternalMTG), like us on Facebook (facebook.com/EverydayEternalPodcast), or email (EverydayEternalCast@gmail.com), or in the thread below.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

Re: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal Episode 14: Field Reports

Once again, sweet podcast!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Nice podcast once more guys
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

I chuckled at the graveyard hate section. I appreciated Matt trying to pronounce my forum name correctly. My forum name, Shawon, was my kid nickname when I lived in Japan until I was 4. I'm not Japanese, in case you're wondering. The 'w' is silent, so it's pronounced "Sha-ohn." But when I moved to Kentucky, I did go by the nickname of Shawn to Americanize my Japanese moniker, so hearing Shawn did invoke some childhood nostalgia. Thanks lol, and thanks for listening to my feedback. I appreciate it, guys.

The reason I asked about graveyard hate in the first place is because, as I've mentioned before in previous feedback threads, I play Affinity, and lately, I've been pondering the decision of running graveyard hate. I was curious as to what the podcast's rule of thumb was regarding the count of SB cards dedicated to graveyard hate. I was surprised to hear the podcast recommend running up to three 3 gy cards, and recommend ditching graveyard hate altogether if one ends up needing at least 4 or 5 graveyard hate cards, given your urgence of players to sport grave hate. Since the decks you cited incidentally have ways to support or find graveyard hate, I can understand the reasoning for low counts, say 1-2 pieces in a Brainstorm deck. Would the cast still recommend only 3 pieces of graveyard hate in a linear deck like Affinity, which has few if none MD means to support 3 pieces of graveyard hate? Or just not bother if running 5 graveyard hate pieces like I'm doing has to be enough?
    Last edited by Shawon; 12-10-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Listened this morning at work. Good stuff. Always liek to hear experienced players that have done well at recent tournaments talking about them
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by megadeus View Post
    listened this morning at work. Good stuff. Always liek to hear experienced players

Quote Originally Posted by megadeus View Post
    that have done well at recent tournaments talking about them
    :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post

:(
    If I wanted to hear about an 0-2 drop I would talk into a tape recorder about my own tournaments and listen to it ;) Hahaha I kid I kid....

Edit: Maybe a topic could be how you guys deal with tilting? How you prevent it from happening?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    If I wanted to hear about an 0-2 drop I would talk into a tape recorder about my own tournaments and listen to it ;) Hahaha I kid I kid....

Edit: Maybe a topic could be how you guys deal with tilting? How you prevent it from happening?
    As long as you played tight and made as few mistakes as possible, that's all that counts. If my opponent got the God hand, I ran into bad matchups, or I bricked on drawing certain cards, it's all variance. I can't control the variance, so I just let go. I only get tilty if I lose due to a play mistake on my part. When I do that, I write down what I did wrong, and usually, I never do it again.

-Matt

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

I enjoyed that and I do not mind hearing about how other peoples event went even if it was bad.

About Thassa; the one card you did not mention that helps to make her good is Counterbalance! Your second balance does something and being Indestuctable helps if you have to drop Energy Field without RIP; when all you control is lands, top, enchantments some decks just can not destroy anything to get rid of Field. The single Blue casting cost can also be relevant if an opponent is going with mana denial to keep you off double blue. Overall she has not been amazing but I am certainty sticking with a singleton for now.

On the Gravehate issue would your advice be the same for a small known meta? I advised my friend to go up to 5 in his sideboard as the only local deck he did not have a reasonable chance against was Tin Fins.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Thread Information