Thread: Storming to Tales of Adventure (12/7/2013) - 3rd Place

Storming to Tales of Adventure (12/7/2013) - 3rd Place

The last few weekís before Michael Caffreyís first large event at Tales of Adventure, I have been pondering over my deck list. It just felt like my list was slowly becoming less and less viable in the metagame Ė there were some changes that had to be made. The first being that the main deck Thoughtseize/Duress slot wasnít working out, I was previously running two Cabal Therapy. Currently blue decks are attacking storm with two axes: The first being with the traditional countermagic route, the second is with creatures such as Meddling Mage and Ethersworn Cannonist. Discard spells that hit both are incredibly valuable, meaning that Thoughtseize and Cabal Therapy are much more important than spells like Duress. Thoughtseizeís life loss wasnít a huge issue but it was certainly noticeable in match-ups where it counted such was RUG Delver. I increased the count of Cabal Therapy to three, which quickly became four after initial testing. Sadly, I had to shave off a Silence to make room for the fourth Cabal Therapy, the issue is it doesnít protect on both angles. Thereís also the huge benefit that Cabal Therapy has incredible synergy with Empty the Warrens, being able to name Flusterstorm or Stifle and then taking away their possible sweeper effect.

The other changes were in the sideboard. With the rise of UWr Delver and RUG Delverís continued popularity, Iíve wanted to include a pair of Carpet of Flowers. The difficult part of it all is finding out where to find room in a deck with a Burning Wish target sideboard. I ended up removing the second discard spell as it became apart of the main deck and then trimmed Chain of Vapor down to a single copy. This kind of bothers me because of Leyline of Sanctity as well as Death & Taxes everywhere, but it was a change that needed to be made.

The trip down was a little rough, having to leave Syracuse the night after my jobís holiday party by 7AM wasnít ideal. Brian Finlayson-Schueler Nick Patnode and myself made decent time on the way down, Brian was nice enough to offer to drive. Honestly, if he didnít I may not have gone. Brian opted to play Elves for the event as it was what he was most comfortable with and Nick decided to play my RUG Delver deck. My list is a little different than the standard decks running around, itís somewhat similar to Jacob Wilsonís list but with two Vendilion Clique over the third Spell Pierce and fourth Nimble Mongoose. As for me, I decided to play old faithful.

The EPIC Storm
    By Bryant Cook

4 Gemstone Mine
    2 City of Brass
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Misty Rainforest

3 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Silence
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Ad Nauseam

1 Tropical Island
    3 Xantid Swarm
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Chain of Vapor
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Diminishing Returns

We arrived with just about half an hour before the event was to start. The store had plenty of room for large events; it seated all 186 players nicely and even had room for the side events. The main event started not too much after the time it was supposed to begin considering there was almost double the expected number of players.

Round One: Justin with Deathblade

Game One: I win the die roll, Justin mulligans. I start the day off with a Gitaxian Probe which reveals: Wasteland, Tropical Island, Scrubland, Stoneforge Mystic, True-Name Nemesis and Jace, the Mind Scuplptor. Not a very strong hand, but neither is mine. I end up casting cantrips for three or four turns while sculpting my hand and disrupting his. The issue is heís attacked me down to five before Iím capable of attempting to win. The turn before I discarded his last card in hand and now he has one unknown in hand. Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Ad Nauseam? Resolves. Red mana floating, Iíve made my land drop and I have two cards in hand, Burning Wish and Lionís Eye Diamond. Normally, I wouldíve jammed out that Lionís Eye Diamond and then broke it in response to the Ad Nauseam. The issue is I needed the Burning Wish in my hand. First flip is Lotus Petal, Second flip Ė Burning Wish, followed by Chrome Mox and Rite of Flame. Resolve Ad Nauseam at two life. Chrome Mox (Remove Burning Wish), Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame, Lionís Eye Diamond, Burning Wish and cast Tendrils of Agony for 18 life.

Sideboarding: -1 Chrome Mox, +1 Tropical Island.

Game Two: Deathrite Shaman, go. I cast Ponder off of Gemstone Mine. Wasteland. Gemstone Mine, Ponder. Justin plays Tropical Island and passes. I draw and before I can do anything, Vendilion Clique comes down. I brainstorm in response to hide my Lionís Eye Diamond and Infernal Tutor. Justin puts my Burning Wish to the bottom. I play a City of Brass and pass. Justin attacks, lays down Karakas and passes. During my draw step, Karakas returns Vendilion Clique and once again looks at my hand. But not before I can cast another Brainstorm, hide the same two cards. I play Gitaxian Probe that looks at Flooded Strand, Brainstorm, Brainstorm and Force of Will. Cabal Therapy, Force of Will. Rite of Flame, Chrome Mox (Imprint Silence), Lionís Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor and Empty the Warrens for twenty goblins. This is the first time that not having a main deck Tendrils has mattered in a very long time. I flashback Cabal Therapy to take his Brainstorm, pass. Justin untaps, draws, attacks with Vendilion Clique and passes. I swing back for nineteen, Justin blocks one and goes to one. He actives Shaman to make me lose life, Iím now at eleven. Justin draws for turn and concedes.

1-0

Round Two: Will with Miracles

Game One: Will shuffles his library pretty quickly after looking at his initial seven and keeps his six. ďIsland, Senseiís Diving Top, pass.Ē I play a Gitaxian Probe and look at: Vendilion Clique, Brainstorm, Misdirection, and Karakas. His hand is going to take some time to fix, itís really all in on Brainstorm. Luckily for Will, my hand is a little slower. Over the next few turns I attack Will with a few Cabal Therapy while casting cantrips. Will draws his third land (Arid Mesa) for Vendilion Clique or if he managed to keep a Counterbalance hidden on top. He fortunately didnít have one floating on top. Iím looking at my hand of Lotus Petal, Lionís Eye diamond, Lionís Eye Diamond, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor and Silence with three lands in play. Earlier in the turn I had played a Gitaxian Probe which revealed two new cards: Terminus and Swords to Plowshares. His only option from his hand is Vendilion Clique or Misdirection. He could have a Force of Will on top, but I donít think itís likely. I decided it was time to start the show, Lotus Petal, Lionís Eye diamond, Lionís Eye diamond, Dark Ritual? In response, Will activates his Arid Mesa - I have him. This lets me know he doesnít have a Force of Will on top, Silence in response. He stares at his hand asks me if Iím sure that itís not Orimís Chant. Infernal Tutor, Infernal Tutor, Burning Wish and Tendrils of Agony.

Sideboarding: -1 Chrome Mox, -1 Ponder, -1 Infernal Tutor, +1 Tropical Island, +2 Abrupt Decay.

Game Two: I mulligan and keep a hand of Tropical Island, Gemstone Mine, City of Brass, Cabal Therapy and a pair of Ponder. Itís a decent hand for a mulligan. Will plays ďIsland, go.Ē I draw Dark Ritual, play Tropical Island and Ponder - Spell Pierce goes on the stack. Misty Rainforest for Tundra and Counterbalance was Willís turn. ďJust Abrupt Decay it alreadyĒ, my draw step agreed. Will misses his land drop and passes. I draw Gitaxian Probe and cast it, revealing: Vendilion Clique, Vendilion Clique, Terminus and Pyroblast. Cabal Therapy couldnít get out of my hand fast enough. I Ponder, shuffle and draw a Rite of Flame. Neither one of us could really do anything, we end up playing ďdraw, go.Ē Which traditionally doesnít favor me, Will flashed in a Venser on my end step and then played a Meddling Mage naming Burning Wish to create a clock. I draw my second Abrupt Decay the attack step before he can deal me lethal on his turn. I kill his Meddling Mage and go to one. I untap and draw Brainstorm, my hand was already pretty stacked at that point, but it allowed me to naturally storm him out rather than use Past in Flames. I play a few various cantrips before casting my mana, Silence and Burning Wish for Tendrils of Agony for eighteen to kill him.

2-0

Round Three: Erik with Burn

Game One: While weíre shuffling Erik drops cards on the table revealing exactly what heís piloting. That was about the worst thing he couldíve done, burns only hope of winning game one is if I keep a slow hand. Not going to happen. I keep Ponder, Underground Sea, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor, Rite of Flame, Gemstone Mine and Cabal Therapy. I win the die roll and start with Underground Sea and Ponder. Ponder looks at: City of Brass, Lotus Petal and Lionís Eye Diamond, I stack them in inverse order, draw and pass. Erik plays Mountain and Vexing Devil, ďKeep it.Ē ďOh, fuck.Ē Draw Lotus Petal, Gemstone Mine, Rite of Flame, Dark Ritual, Lotus Petal, Lionís Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor for Ad Nauseam.

Sideboarding: -2 Silence, -1 Empty the Warrens, +1 Tropical Island, +1 Chain of Vapor, +1 Past in Flames.

Game Two: Erik has a turn one Goblin Guide off a basic Mountain. I kept a hand full of mana and a Ponder. Ponder failed, I draw a Gitaxian Probe. I get hit again from Guide (Reveals a land) and take a Lava Spike to the face. Erik doesnít have a second land. I draw Past in Flames - weíre in business, but I pass the turn. I take another hit from the Goblin and another three points of damage. I draw Infernal Tutor, cast Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor (Revealing Rite of Flame), Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Lionís Eye Diamond, Past in Flames. Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor for Burning Wish, from there cast Gitaxian Probe and Ponder. Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Chrome Mox, Burning Wish, Tendrils of Agony.

3-0

Round Four: Jaime with Death & Taxes

Game One: Jaime won the die roll and has a turn one Aether Vial off of a basic Plains. My turn is a little more fun. Gitaxian Probe: Phyrexian Revoker, Serra Avenger, Serra Avenger and two more Plains, Probe again, Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Gemstone Mine, Silence, Lionís Eye Diamond, Burning Wish for Empty the Warrens and cast it for eighteen Goblin tokens. Jaime just picks them up.

Sideboarding: -3 Silence, -1 Chrome Mox, -1 Ponder, +1 Tropical Island, +2 Abrupt Decay, +1 Chain of Vapor, +1 Thoughtseize.

Game Two: Jaime starts the game with a Rishadan Port. I draw and cast Thoughtseize off of a Gemstone Mine, looking at: Stoneforge Mystic, Aven Mindcensor, Thalia, Gaurdian of Thraben, Plains and a pair of Wasteland. This is not ideal for the home team Ė Thalia down. Wastelands my Gemstone Mine. City of Brass, Cabal Therapy naming Aven Mindcensor. Wasteland. I play Underground Sea and Ponder. I sit on that land for some time under a port until Jaime starts beating me down, I was actually never completely locked out of the game. If I had drawn a Lotus Petal or Chrome Mox for a short time period, about three turns or so I mightíve been able to kill him. One mistake he made was showing me Ratchet Bomb to blow up my Chrome Mox when it was my only mana source during one point, I knew to play around it game three.

Game Three: My hand is Lionís Eye Diamond, Dark Ritual, Empty the Warrens, Infernal Tutor, Misty Rainforest, Brainstorm and Burning Wish. This hand is very close to very good against Death & Taxes. However, Iím pretty much all in on Brainstorm. Misty Rainforest, pass. Plains, go. Search for Underground Sea and cast Brainstorm. Drawing, Chain of Vapor, Chrome Mox and Lionís Eye Diamond. GOT THERE! Put Burning Wish second from the bottom with Emtpy the Warrens on top. Draw Empty the Warrens, Chrome Mox (Imprinting: Empty the Warrens), drop the pair of Lionís Eye Diamond on the table. Infernal Tutor. Ad Nauseam.

4-0

Round Five: Jack with Imperial Painter (On Camera Feature Match)

Coverage

Iíd like to note that Iím a little ashamed of the two men in coverage for no ďCookís KitchenĒ reference to my former articles.

Game One: I win the die roll and start off the match on camera with my traditional turn one play. It reveals: Ancient Tomb, Imperial Recuiter, Blood Moon, Red Elemental Blast, Grindstone, Simian Spirit Guide and Mountain. Hm. My hand isnít exactly stellar against a Blood Moon. Cast Ponder, it resolves, look at: Burning Wish, Lionís Eye Diamond and a land. Keep and draw. Jack plays Ancient Tomb, remove Simian Spirit Guide and cast Blood Moon. I play land, go while Jack develops a board state. He presents the win with Grindstone and Painterís Servant. I finally draw a black source in Chrome Mox. I think it over for a second when I realize Ė Iíve got this, there are two possible lines here. I play Burning Wish, it resolves Ė I kill his Painter with Grapeshot or it doesnít resolve and I kill him. My luck continues, Jack chose the latter. He Red Elemental Blasts my Burning Wish, I play Chrome Mox (Imprint Cabal Therapy), Dark Ritual, Lionís Eye Diamond, tap my lands and Ad Nauseam.

Sideboarding: -2 Silence, -1 Empty the Warrens, +1 Tropical Island, +1 Chain of Vapor, +1 Thoughtseize.

Game Two: Mountain, Lotus Petal and pass is Jackís first turn. I have a Gemstone Mine and a Thoughtseize for my initial turn. Jack breaks Lotus Petal and casts Enlightened Tutor for Trinisphere. Iím forced to take his Simian Spirit Guide so he wouldnít be able to cast the Trinisphere. Leaving him with two Pyroblst effects in his hand. Jackís next turn consist of drawing, Mountain and go. I draw, Scalding Tarn, Underground Sea and Cabal Therapy discarding the Trinisphere. Jack does nothing, I play Burning Wish on my turn for Empty the Warrens. Jack plays a Senseiís Diving Trop and passes. I lay Tropical Island (land number four) and Brainstorm, hoping that Jack will blast it to increase storm. He doesnít and I Brainstorm into: Lionís Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor and Rite of Flame. I then cast Rite of Flame, Dark Ritual, Lionís Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor and Ad Nauseam.

5-0

Round Six: Ryan with Shardless BUG

Game One: Ryan mulligans to five and starts out with a Tropical Island, I play an Underground Sea and Ponder. Ryan draws and passes. City of Brass, Silence, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Lionís Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor and Ad Nauseam.

Sideboarding: -1 Chrome Mox, -1 Ponder, -1 Infernal Tutor, +1 Tropical Island, +2 Carpet of Flowers.

Game Two: I donít really remember the beginning of this game. My notes say that I cast all four Gitaxian Probes and take some damage from Deathrite and Creeping Tar Pit. I cast Diminishing Returns with a land drop and two mana floating - a red and blue. I have the land to play from my hand, but Iím still a mana short. Iím at two life and canít play Gitaxian Probe, use the blue and draw into Dark Ritul. Dark Ritual, Rite of Flame, Burning Wish and Tendrils.

6-0

Round Seven: Brian Finlayson-Schueler with Elves

Intentional Draw

6-0-1

Round Eight: Kevin with NicFit

Game One: Kevin and I have a Cabal Therapy fight and I end up casting Diminishing Returns with three mana floating, I remove my last searchable land from the game then proceed to draw two fetchlands. Awkward. The other five cards were rather weak. Kevin Mckee shows me what Burning Wish for Scapeshift can do.

Sideboarding: -2 Silence, +1 Tropical Island, +1 Thoughtseize .

Game Two: Memory is a little fuzzy on this, my notes say, ďDark Ritual, Infernal Tutor, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Burning Wish, Past in Flames, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor, Burning Wish, Tendrils of Agony.Ē

Game Three: Kevin, turn one Veteran Explorer. Me, turn one Ad Nauseam.

7-0-1

For some reason, they let me be on coverage.

Quarterfinals: Myles with UWr Delver

Game One: Myles mulligans. I win the die roll and begin the top 8 with a Scalding Tarn, Underground Sea into a Ponder, Shuffle, draw and pass. Myles lays a Flooded Strand and passes. I play a Gemstone Mine and Gitaxian Probe: [i]Stoneforge Mystic, Lightning Bolt, Batterskull, Arid Mesa and Scalding tarn. The jig was up, Dark Ritual, Rite of Flame, Ad Nauseam. I wanted to be cautious because of the Lightning Bolt, I revealed only Infernal Tutors as business spells with a pair of Chrome Mox. I decided to stop at 11. This allowed me to become Hellbent using Chrome Mox due to not having access to Lionís Eye Diamond, went through the motions and casted Tendrils of Agony.

Sideboarding: -1 Chrome Mox, -1 Ponder, -1 Infernal Tutor, +1 Tropical Island, +2 Carpet of Flowers.

Game Two: Myles has a turn one Delver of Secrets (I canít remember off of what land) backed by this hand that my Gitaxian Probe revealed: [i]Force of Will, Spell Pierce, Spell Pierce, Flusterstorm and Grim Lavamancer.

Game Three: I mulligan and have my first land become the target of Wasteland. Iím barely making it by off of a Mox Sapphire and a few turns later an Underground Sea. I cast Brainstorm and Myles snap Force of Willís it Ė he thought I was mana light. At that point, I had recovered and was looking for a way around the Force of Will that I knew he had due to an earlier Gitaxian Probe. I end up not needing a storm engine for my Tendrils of Agony.

8-0-1

Semifinals: Mike with Deathblade

Game One: We both keep our seven and Iím on the play, I play a first turn Gitaxian Probe and stare into: Thoughtseize, Thoughtseize, Misty Rainforest, Wasteland, Stoneforge Mystic, Jace, the Mind Sculptor and a Ponder. I ponder and see two lands and Ad Nauseam. I bury Ad Nauseam third on the bottom so that I can play around Mikeís pair of Thoughtseize. Mike uses Misty Rainforest to find an Underground Sea to cast his first Thoughtseize, he discards an Infernal Tutor leaving with me with Lotus Petal, a pair of Rite of Flame, Lotus Petal and a Misty Rainforest. I draw the land on top, lay Scalding Tarn, Lotus Petal and pass. Mike plays a Ponder, uses a Polluted Delta to find a second Underground Sea and plays his second Thoughtseize which discards a Rite of Flame. I draw Ad Nauseam and cast it.

Mikeís sideboard had thirteen cards for me - It was certainly going to be grim. His sideboard had more than the average amount of soft counterspells which is why I decided to bring in Carpet of Flowers.

Game Two: I get absolutely destroyed by Meddling Mage on Burning Wish, Surgical Extraction on Dark Ritual and Mikeís three hard counters in his hand by turn three.

Game Three: I have a turn one Carpet of Flowers. Mike plays Underground Sea and Thoughtseize, discards Infernal Tutor. I draw another and use Carpet to cast Brainstorm, I draw into more tutor effects but no protection. Mike plays Meddling Mage naming Burning Wish. I decide to go for it and run into Force of Will - the end of my day.

8-1-1

I was incredibly happy with my list. If the creature bears continue with their popularity, it may be worthwhile to play Massacre. But I wouldnít change anything quite yet, I didnít really have too many opportunities for Carpet of Flowers which makes it seem worse than it actually is. I had a lot of fun on the day, I felt like I played incredibly well and I took home a great prize of four Tropical Island as well as two Flooded Strand. Brian took home Bayous and Foothills, sadly Nick playing my RUG deck fell to seventeenth on tie breakers. Nick still managed to get some prize as Caffrey had them running all the way down to 32nd.

The ride back was miserable considering we left the event at eleven thirty and didnít get back in until almost three thirty. Well, itís late and Iím tired. Hopefully there arenít too many mistakes in this. Well I hope to see a great turnout again at Tales of Adventures for their next event.

Until then, keep storming!
    Last edited by Bryant Cook; 12-10-2013 at 09:43 AM.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: Storming to Tales of Adventure (12/7/2013) - 3rd Place

Congratz pal. Boarded out the 3rd Mox pretty often, hu?
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!
    Finally on Twitter! @ValeLemnear

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Northern Ireland

I've only read about half of it so far, but great report - some things in particular have provided a lot for me to consider about how I play the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Congratz pal. Boarded out the 3rd Mox pretty often, hu?
    It's really dependent on the match-up, blue based decks the Tropical Island adds some consistency during the tougher games. Against Non-Island decks Tropical Island is much better than Silence. It's mostly just adding consistency during each match where the deck has it's weakest slot in that match-up.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    It's really dependent on the match-up, blue based decks the Tropical Island adds some consistency during the tougher games. Against Non-Island decks Tropical Island is much better than Silence. It's mostly just adding consistency during each match where the deck has it's weakest slot in that match-up.
    Especially in regards to the current hype around TNN and expectable even more blue decks in the metagame, I still want to get the "additional conistency" into the mainboard, rather than boarding it in against basically anything from S&T to blue midrange to tempo to non-blue decks like Death and Taxes.

This one kinda reminds me of the sideboard Therapy for maindeck Duress Boarding topic, we had during november where I felt like we're wasting SB space :/
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

You're failing to realize how important the third Chrome Mox is to have game one and against non-blue decks. I can't physically force anyone to play my list, but I certainly know what I'm doing with mine. The additional speed against Death and Taxes is crucial.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

You're failing to realize how important the third Chrome Mox is to have game one and against non-blue decks. I can't physically force anyone to play my list, but I certainly know what I'm doing with mine. The additional speed against Death and Taxes is crucial.
    You get me wrong. I'm not talking about the Mox in particular even if I played only 2 in the past, as a tribute to my local metagame which was heavy on tempo-archtypes. I'm rather pondering about squeezing another manasource in without cutting another

Join us at Facebook!

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Northern Ireland

You get me wrong. I'm not talking about the Mox in particular even if I played only 2 in the past, as a tribute to my local metagame which was heavy on tempo-archtypes. I'm rather pondering about squeezing another manasource in without cutting another
    If not the 3rd Chrome Mox, what else would you cut?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by vercadium View Post
    If not the 3rd Chrome Mox, what else would you cut?
    The only slot I could CONSIDER for a cut is a single protection slot, as we can still burn some Wishes (pun intended) for getting protection out of the Sideboard in matchups which are grindier. Just a radical idea ... don't give too much about it as I have not even done the math for 7-vs.-6-protection-spells.

Join us at Facebook!

Jun 2012
    West Coast

Hey Bryant, congrats and nice meeting you. I'm your painter player. I don't agree with the commentators view that the burning wish g1 was a bait because I would lose my painter and subsequently die the next turn so thanks for mentioning that in your report.

I'm also surprised the only joke was the one 'cooking in the kitchen' haha but either way nice job.

The only slot I could CONSIDER for a cut is a single protection slot, as we can still burn some Wishes (pun intended) for getting protection out of the Sideboard in matchups which are grindier. Just a radical idea ... don't give too much about it as I have not even done the math for 7-vs.-6-protection-spells.
    What protection spell would you cut? I imagine it would weaken our game against Islands. Meaning, we would have to dedicate more sideboard space effectively doing the same thing we're doing now with the Tropical Island considering blue is everywhere.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

What protection spell would you cut? I imagine it would weaken our game against Islands. Meaning, we would have to dedicate more sideboard space effectively doing the same thing we're doing now with the Tropical Island considering blue is everywhere.
    Yes, blue is everywhere, but you mentioned that you even board the Tropical against the non-blue matchups for a Silence which got me thinking: "What if we had more resources to agressively cantrip/wish into/for protection in matchups that require this, while not having the protection spells bricking our hand in matchups in which speed matters?"

It's not that were not already running 4 "protection" spells in the sideboard atm. I'm just throwing ideas around, pal

Join us at Facebook!

Site Contributor
    Aug 2010

I recall a threat of a slap if I played ANT again at some point

Yes, blue is everywhere, but you mentioned that you even board the Tropical against the non-blue matchups for a Silence which got me thinking: "What if we had more resources to agressively cantrip/wish into/for protection in matchups that require this, while not having the protection spells bricking our hand in matchups in which speed matters?"

It's not that were not already running 4 "protection" spells in the sideboard atm. I'm just throwing ideas around, pal
    The deck is mostly mana as it is, I'd rather not cut another protection spell for more mana.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Gatz View Post
    I recall a threat of a slap if I played ANT again at some point
    I just got a stern look and shake of the head. I must be lucky
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Congratz Bryant... Really nice to see T.E.S on top, even in harder times!

I think we can`t go under 7 real disruption spells, because it might couldn`t be enough against counter heavy decks like RUG. I`ve played a long time with 4 Discard + 4 Silence and 3 Probes, until Lemnar had encouraged me to do the change, but it still happens, that I wish the Probe would be a real discard spell, instead. So 7 disruption spells seems to be the correct number for me.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    I just got a stern look and shake of the head. I must be lucky
    You're usually less intoxicated and belligerent than I am

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Gatz View Post
    You're usually less intoxicated and belligerent than I am
    Neither one of you can count to ten properly.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2010

All you do is cast gitaxian probe and your opponents concede, it's not fair.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Well done yet again.

Great job explaining why you changed your decklist. Those players most familiar with one deck know best how to adapt it to respond to shifting metagame pressures.

Thread Information