Thread: Storming to Tales of Adventure (12/7/2013) - 3rd Place

Bryant Cook

Storming to Tales of Adventure (12/7/2013) - 3rd Place

Last edited by Bryant Cook; 11-06-2020 at 09:08 AM.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: Storming to Tales of Adventure (12/7/2013) - 3rd Place

Congratz pal. Boarded out the 3rd Mox pretty often, hu?
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Northern Ireland

I've only read about half of it so far, but great report - some things in particular have provided a lot for me to consider about how I play the deck.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Congratz pal. Boarded out the 3rd Mox pretty often, hu?
    It's really dependent on the match-up, blue based decks the Tropical Island adds some consistency during the tougher games. Against Non-Island decks Tropical Island is much better than Silence. It's mostly just adding consistency during each match where the deck has it's weakest slot in that match-up.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    It's really dependent on the match-up, blue based decks the Tropical Island adds some consistency during the tougher games. Against Non-Island decks Tropical Island is much better than Silence. It's mostly just adding consistency during each match where the deck has it's weakest slot in that match-up.
    Especially in regards to the current hype around TNN and expectable even more blue decks in the metagame, I still want to get the "additional conistency" into the mainboard, rather than boarding it in against basically anything from S&T to blue midrange to tempo to non-blue decks like Death and Taxes.

This one kinda reminds me of the sideboard Therapy for maindeck Duress Boarding topic, we had during november where I felt like we're wasting SB space :/
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Bryant Cook

You're failing to realize how important the third Chrome Mox is to have game one and against non-blue decks. I can't physically force anyone to play my list, but I certainly know what I'm doing with mine. The additional speed against Death and Taxes is crucial.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

You're failing to realize how important the third Chrome Mox is to have game one and against non-blue decks. I can't physically force anyone to play my list, but I certainly know what I'm doing with mine. The additional speed against Death and Taxes is crucial.
    You get me wrong. I'm not talking about the Mox in particular even if I played only 2 in the past, as a tribute to my local metagame which was heavy on tempo-archtypes. I'm rather pondering about squeezing another manasource in without cutting another

Join us at Facebook!

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Northern Ireland

You get me wrong. I'm not talking about the Mox in particular even if I played only 2 in the past, as a tribute to my local metagame which was heavy on tempo-archtypes. I'm rather pondering about squeezing another manasource in without cutting another
    If not the 3rd Chrome Mox, what else would you cut?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by vercadium View Post
    If not the 3rd Chrome Mox, what else would you cut?
    The only slot I could CONSIDER for a cut is a single protection slot, as we can still burn some Wishes (pun intended) for getting protection out of the Sideboard in matchups which are grindier. Just a radical idea ... don't give too much about it as I have not even done the math for 7-vs.-6-protection-spells.

Join us at Facebook!

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Hey Bryant, congrats and nice meeting you. I'm your painter player. I don't agree with the commentators view that the burning wish g1 was a bait because I would lose my painter and subsequently die the next turn so thanks for mentioning that in your report.

I'm also surprised the only joke was the one 'cooking in the kitchen' haha but either way nice job.

Bryant Cook

The only slot I could CONSIDER for a cut is a single protection slot, as we can still burn some Wishes (pun intended) for getting protection out of the Sideboard in matchups which are grindier. Just a radical idea ... don't give too much about it as I have not even done the math for 7-vs.-6-protection-spells.
    What protection spell would you cut? I imagine it would weaken our game against Islands. Meaning, we would have to dedicate more sideboard space effectively doing the same thing we're doing now with the Tropical Island considering blue is everywhere.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

What protection spell would you cut? I imagine it would weaken our game against Islands. Meaning, we would have to dedicate more sideboard space effectively doing the same thing we're doing now with the Tropical Island considering blue is everywhere.
    Yes, blue is everywhere, but you mentioned that you even board the Tropical against the non-blue matchups for a Silence which got me thinking: "What if we had more resources to agressively cantrip/wish into/for protection in matchups that require this, while not having the protection spells bricking our hand in matchups in which speed matters?"

It's not that were not already running 4 "protection" spells in the sideboard atm. I'm just throwing ideas around, pal

Join us at Facebook!

Site Contributor
    Aug 2010

I recall a threat of a slap if I played ANT again at some point

Bryant Cook

Yes, blue is everywhere, but you mentioned that you even board the Tropical against the non-blue matchups for a Silence which got me thinking: "What if we had more resources to agressively cantrip/wish into/for protection in matchups that require this, while not having the protection spells bricking our hand in matchups in which speed matters?"

It's not that were not already running 4 "protection" spells in the sideboard atm. I'm just throwing ideas around, pal
    The deck is mostly mana as it is, I'd rather not cut another protection spell for more mana.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Gatz View Post
    I recall a threat of a slap if I played ANT again at some point
    I just got a stern look and shake of the head. I must be lucky
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Congratz Bryant... Really nice to see T.E.S on top, even in harder times!

I think we can`t go under 7 real disruption spells, because it might couldn`t be enough against counter heavy decks like RUG. I`ve played a long time with 4 Discard + 4 Silence and 3 Probes, until Lemnar had encouraged me to do the change, but it still happens, that I wish the Probe would be a real discard spell, instead. So 7 disruption spells seems to be the correct number for me.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    I just got a stern look and shake of the head. I must be lucky
    You're usually less intoxicated and belligerent than I am

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Gatz View Post
    You're usually less intoxicated and belligerent than I am
    Neither one of you can count to ten properly.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2010

All you do is cast gitaxian probe and your opponents concede, it's not fair.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Well done yet again.

Great job explaining why you changed your decklist. Those players most familiar with one deck know best how to adapt it to respond to shifting metagame pressures.

Thread Information