Re: [Deck] Food Chain Combo

And As promised here is my decklist

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/795502#online

Quote Originally Posted by janchu88 View Post
    And As promised here is my decklist

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/795502#online
    Nice work in the challenge.

How did the clicking against the clock go? Were opponents willing to concede to you if you showed them the Ballista and they had no answer? I've recently given up playing it online as the number of clicks to get a win against the clock with unsporting opponents is just too tough, even though I was having good results with the deck. I'm only playing it in paper now.

Keep up the good fight online, though.

If they just ask to show them the ballista / wincon im usually doing it but sometimes they just Let you go through it all... Well, that happens. Im playing the deck only on my strong Desktop computer with a wired connection and a very good ping, Therefore the delay is as small As possible but it still takes 5 minutes to do it all

[Deck] Food Chain Combo

About the RG combolands matchup: i believe it's slightly favoured. I got onto this deck when Eli Cassis played it to have a game versus both lands and miracle which he predicted to be the top decks.
    You have lots of flyers to buy time versus Marit. Half combo is essentially a win unless he wastes/quarters all your lands and pendrel vales you.
    They are fast however and sometimes they draw better than you. Bounce, edict and surgical is good post board. I like discard on the play and fow/decay on the draw to slow them down.

freebird
    Oct 2013
    Atlanta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by janchu88 View Post
    Played some clicking against the clock in the legacy challenge yesterday and made it to the semi finals where i lost to some of the stronger draws of BR Reanimator. However, still fine with the Performance.

Decklist will follow when im home

Played against :

ANT 2-1
    Czech pile 2:0
    UWR control with pfire
    Grixis 2-1
    TES 2-1
    Grixis 1-2
    Czech pile 1-2

Quarter grixis 2-1
    Semi BR Reanimator 1-2

Deck felt good, but BR had some of the non interactive opening 7 otp with Ramp, discard, chancelor and stuff where it didnt really matter which cards i kept

The most Noticable thing Was 4 flusterstorm in the sideboard. Played 2 Mindbreak Traps before but fluster seems superior to me and the Leovold interaction with trap is nice in theory but since i play the deck never actually occured
    Nice job in the Challenge! A couple questions if you don't mind. Did you ever miss the third Griffin? Did you find the four Ponders to be too many 1CMC cantrips? How was the maindeck Relic? Was the two AD/FP split good for you? Would you make any changes to the deck after the tournament?

Maindeck Relic is a must, IMO.

Relic does so much for this deck, all at the cost of a 1-mana cantrip artifact.

Target yourself and rebuy Scourge, Sphinxes; mess up K-Command/Snapcaster; maindeck disruption for Reanimator/Dredge; Trinket Mage (Relic grinds so hard against in the late game for so cheap).

freebird
    Oct 2013
    Atlanta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Absolutflipz View Post
    Maindeck Relic is a must, IMO.
    While I can see the benefits, I would not consider it a must as many builds of the deck have had success without it. Just wondering how it's been playing for those testing it...or if maybe you'd rather just have the third Griffin or Fatal Push.

Oct 2013
    Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by biglongjohns View Post
    While I can see the benefits, I would not consider it a must as many builds of the deck have had success without it. Just wondering how it's been playing for those testing it...or if maybe you'd rather just have the third Griffin or Fatal Push.
    At the moment I'm playing a Scooze MB and a Relic SB and am pretty satisfied with the results. The third Griffin IS a must imo, since it's pitchable
    TEAM MtG Berlin

"Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    So dismissive.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    This thread is great. I've been able to save so much money on seasoning! Whenever I'm eating something bland, I just wander over here to borrow some of the infinite salt.

I agree that we need the 3rd griffin. Relic is super strong post board against grindy decks as well. Do you guys have any trouble with running just 3 ballista? I'm running a greedy list right now with just 18 lands and 3 ponder. I'm thinking if I should change the 4th ballista to a 4th ponder.

Thanks in advance

Dec 2010
    Beijing/Shenzhen

First piloting this deck tonight(I played this deck for a little while some years ago), I crushed my friend’s uwr blade for whole night.

I play 3 griffin, 3 ponder and one relic in the main, this deck is far more powerful than I initially thought of.
    Team Blood, Beijing.
    Currently play: Sneaky Show/ Lands

Someone was at the eternal tornament? What was your results ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanhur View Post
    He's posting in a FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/7642...f=group_header

He ended up 7-4. 19 lands, Nimble Obstructionist in the main. Lim Dul's Vault and Sylvan Library somewhere in the 75.

freebird
    Oct 2013
    Atlanta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanhur View Post
    I played in the Thursday Trial and went 4-0-1 drawing with a slow playing Czech Pile opponent. My wins were D&T, BR Reanimator, UB Reanimator, and another Czech Pile.

As for the main event, I bombed early and dropped. Guess I used up all my luck on the Thursday Trial. My main event losses were to UW Blade (he resolved a Humility G2) and Burn. The Burn matchup really had me wishing I kept those Hydroblasts in my 75. I know I could have played on, but losing to Burn is usually tilting so I dropped after two losses to get food and hang out.

May 2010
    Toronto, Canada

Went 5-3 drop at Eternal Weekend, decided to drop as soon as I hit my 3rd loss as I got my losses early so even if I went 8-3, I probably wouldn't have prized due to tiebreakers. Here's what I played against:

Round 1 Win: Scapeshift Nic Fit
    Round 2 Loss: Czech Pile
    Round 3 Win: Eldrazi Stompy
    Round 4 Loss: ANT
    Round 5 Win: Dragon Stompy
    Round 6 Win: TES
    Round 7 Win: R/G Lands
    Round 8 Loss: Sneak/Show

Pretty much played the same maindeck as I listed in a few posts back but I changed up the sideboard quite a bit removing Mindbreak Traps and Hydroblasts for a Pithing Needle, Relic of Progenitus, Vendilion Clique and Compost.

I think I'm going to keep the same 75 going forward for a bit, just need to be more experienced on sideboarding as I found myself switching sideboard plans between games 2 and 3 quite a bit.

I was wondering, if you've resolved the 1st Manipulate Fate and then draw the 2nd one later in the game, what else are you exiling? I find that I had a really hard time figuring out which cards to exile so any general suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by pocari79 View Post
    I was wondering, if you've resolved the 1st Manipulate Fate and then draw the 2nd one later in the game, what else are you exiling? I find that I had a really hard time figuring out which cards to exile so any general suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
    The most unhelpful answer is it depends on the matchup, but; it depends on the matchup.

After the first resolves, targets for the second tend to be most often in descending order of likelihood:
    • The fourth Misthollow Griffin/equivalent
    • The third Manipulate Fate
    • A land
    • Dead removal (Thoughtseize/Abrupt Decay/Fatal Push)
    • A more different land

Obviously, if you're already drawn a Misthollow since casting your first Manipulate Fate, then we skip that one.
    But almost always all the other copies of Manipulate Fate get gone.
    If you're still on game 1, you might have some cards that aren't useful against your current opponent, so those go.
    I'll also take lands depending on how late in the game it is, after the forth or fifth land drop we're fine unless you're playing Pox or some LD deck.

Casting the second Manipulate Fate isn't what I would call a desperation play, but it signifies to me that you're diggin for something and willing to use substandard cantrips to do so. Maybe you just need to draw a Food Chain or Walking Ballista and you win the game. Maybe a Thoughtseize or Force of Will to protect the combo already in hand that will win you the game. And so if thet's the case, just take cards that you don't want to draw from the cantrip tail end and rip the one you need.

---

While at Eternal Weekend another Food Chain guy passed along some spicy tech with Hostage Taker. I didn't think it needed mainboard inclusion, and I didn't think this was the right meta for it, but as a card against Show and Tell decks, you can put it into play, steal the creature they put in (fingers crossed not Omniscience) and then, the best part, cast their card later, even feeding Hostage Taker to Food Chain to help pay the cost of the stolen creature. I searched the thread and surprised it wasn't brought up before.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

May 2016
    Toronto

Are you able to exile Hostage Taker to generate mana (through Food Chain) to cast the same creature that it exiled? Not sure how the timing works here.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by dull View Post
    Are you able to exile Hostage Taker to generate mana (through Food Chain) to cast the same creature that it exiled? Not sure how the timing works here.
    So you have to announce the casting of the exiled creature and move to payment by exiling Hostage Taker by activating the mana ability of Food Chain. It doesn't seem all that effective, but technically it works.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by dull View Post
    Yeah, that's the best part!

Since food chain is a mana ability, you pay costs of a spell at the last step of casting the spell.
    So you put the creature from exile onto the stack, choose values for X and whatever modal nonsense, then pay costs, including exiling creatures to Food Chain. So by the time you're eating Hostage Taker, the stolen creature is on the stack, not under Hostage Taker. Spice!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Oct 2013
    Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by pocari79 View Post
    Compost.
    That's what I call spiciness. Care to elaborate? General thoughts about the card?

Regarding MF, I usually don't like to remove multiple copies after the first one, since it serves as a cantrip too. I tend to remove useless card in that specific matchup and / or lands.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

"Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    So dismissive.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    This thread is great. I've been able to save so much money on seasoning! Whenever I'm eating something bland, I just wander over here to borrow some of the infinite salt.

May 2010
    Toronto, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by meffeo View Post
    That's what I call spiciness. Care to elaborate? General thoughts about the card?

Regarding MF, I usually don't like to remove multiple copies after the first one, since it serves as a cantrip too. I tend to remove useless card in that specific matchup and / or lands.
    Compost was just something I wanted to try out against black based midrange decks as well as black based storm decks like ANT. Theoretically, drawing extra cards while they spend cards trying to kill your board felt good and drawing cards when your opponent casts dark rituals also helps you draw into counterspells.

I think I'll leave it in my sideboard for now, I didn't get too many games with it in play but when I did, it always drew some extra cards as my opponents were busy blowing up other permanents first so it did what it was supposed to do.

Thread Information