Page 78 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2868747576777879808182 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 1659

Thread: [Deck] Food Chain Combo

Re: [Deck] Food Chain Combo

Quote Originally Posted by grokh View Post
    I can't see the use of having 1 Altar of the brood in the 75.

When do you prefer Altar to ballista when you're on infinite combo and getting a Trinket ?

Is there another reason to play Altar of the brood i don't see ?
    When Needle/Spyglass/Revoker is on Ballista.

Quote Originally Posted by battousai555 View Post
    Revoker isn't on Food chain most of the time ?

In my experience a needle/spyglass/revoker on Ballista buys them a turn before they concede to an infinite/infinite attacker.

Quote Originally Posted by battousai555 View Post
    I wondered if Altar should stay in my 75 cos in almot all tables i made, Altar is SB out on G2-G3 ...

Revoker isn't on Food chain most of the time ?
    No, D&T usually names Ballista before they name Food Chain because it's the best card against them (and kills a Revoker naming Food Chain, anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Kaono View Post
    In my experience a needle/spyglass/revoker on Ballista buys them a turn before they concede to an infinite/infinite attacker.
    Usually, yeah. If it's D&T, they could easily have a vial on 3 with a Flickerwisp in hand, though. A couple of turns chump blocking with Recruiter/SFM could give them enough time to steal the game, too. That being said, it's already a good match-up for us, and I really don't like the Altar plan because it's usually unnecessary and a dead draw in far too many match-ups.

Magic Player

Jul 2011
    Boston

On my list, i'm actually with 2 Trinket mage 2 Ballista.

Is 1 Trinket mage 3 Ballista better ?

Does it change something ?
    It allows you to fetch a trinket with the first one and not have to worry about not having one to fetch a Ballista when you go to combo off.

I played around with alter when it came out and came to the "it's more cute than good" conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpWorld View Post
    It allows you to fetch a trinket with the first one and not have to worry about not having one to fetch a Ballista when you go to combo off.

I played around with alter when it came out and came to the "it's more cute than good" conclusion.
    You can't fetch a trinket with a trinket

So you would replace Altar by what in my list ?

Magic Player

Jul 2011
    Boston

You can't fetch a trinket with a trinket

So you would replace Altar by what in my list ?
    The first one finds you A trinket ie relic not a trinket mage. The second one gets you your ballista when you combo. Given that you are already playing a relic I would suggest an ee to be a sweeper md.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpWorld View Post
    The first one finds you A trinket ie relic not a trinket mage. The second one gets you your ballista when you combo. Given that you are already playing a relic I would suggest an ee to be a sweeper md.
    For replacing Altar of the brood, a friend of mine thought to Tasigur, and i think it's a pretty good idea nope ?

Magic Player

Jul 2011
    Boston

For replacing Altar of the brood, a friend of mine thought to Tasigur, and i think it's a pretty good idea nope ?
    Most people played tasigur when it came out (myself included) and most people switched to gurmag angler. The extra power can be relevant and it gets bounced to karakas. That being said his ability is good grindy matchups if you can activate it. Murderous Cut is another strong option if you're looking for a delve spell to fill the spot.

What about Massacre wurm in SB ?

I saw it in some lists, maybe could it replace my Toxic deluge ?

This seems weaker than Toxic vs Eldrazi, but better against Elves/D&T cos they lose lots of life and you let a 6/5 behind

Little report of my tournament of yesterday evening, we were 11 players, we played 4 rounds !

Round 1 Burn

G1 : I win with the aggro-Griffins plan and by forcing a Fireblast
    G2 : I lose cos he has Eidolon, and i have the combo in hand but just a Scourge, and Scourge costs 3 so recasting it cause me too much damage
    G3 : I win by comboing off fast with Griffins and infinite Ballista

Win 2-1

Round 2 Sneak show

G1 : I'll be able to down him to 4 with my creatures but he'll S&T into Sneak attack into Emrakul
    G2 : I attack T1 with Thoughtseize + Surgical Griselbrand, he had 2 Griselbrand in hand, he'll never find a creature to combo off
    G3 : I flusterstorm a S&T, then i'll beat him with the aggro Griffins plan

Win 2-1

Round 3 Dredge

G1 : He'll combo off very fast and i'm dead with Zealous and lots of Zombies
    G2 : He'll try to draw with Golgari grave troll and Stinkweed imp in gy, i'll eat Troll then surgical Imp, he concedes
    G3 : I open with a T1 Relic of progenitus, he'll concede

Win 2-1

Round 4 Stoneblade

G1 : I'll have 3 Griffins + Food chain + Scourge + Tasigur, he has Batterskull + Snapcaster mage, i'll attack him with 2 Griffins each turn cos i kp 1 Griffin for blocking BSK each attack then exile it before damage for avoiding him to gain life. I down him to 4 and he equips BSK on True name nemesis and i die by 7 damage (i was at 6 at this point)
    G2 : He'll disenchant my food chain and i'll have 3 draw lands but i have fetched 3 times (1 fetch per turn) and he kills me

Lose 0-2

I'll finish 2nd and get 2 Dominaria boosters

My list : http://www.magic-ville.com/fr/decks/...php?ref=584713

My SB Tables : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=760684324
    Last edited by grokh; 05-25-2018 at 11:35 AM.

In my list i got 1 Relic of progenitus MD + 1 Relic SB.

Assuming i got 2 surgical + 1 Cage for gy-strategies in the SB too, i think i don't need the Relic in SB.

What could i put in to replace ?

And we played about 15 games post SB against Turbo dephts, i only won 3 of it.

Is there something to do to improve this MU ?

My list for reference : http://www.magic-ville.com/fr/decks/...php?ref=584713

Thanks !

EDIT : Made another list with Clique MD and 2 Edict SB : http://www.magic-ville.com/fr/decks/...php?ref=589333
    Last edited by grokh; 05-28-2018 at 07:38 AM.

Magic Player

Jul 2011
    Boston

Round 4 Stoneblade

G1 : I'll have 3 Griffins + Food chain + Scourge + Tasigur, he has Batterskull + Snapcaster mage, i'll attack him with 2 Griffins each turn cos i kp 1 Griffin for blocking BSK each attack then exile it before damage for avoiding him to gain life. I down him to 4 and he equips BSK on True name nemesis and i die by 7 damage (i was at 6 at this point)
    I think this might be a misplay in your part. I think if you attack with your team and trade tasagur with germ you're in a better spot. Because your scurge and Griffins have vigilance with food chain out. Otherwise you should be attacking for 9 in the air each turn because you have food chain and your Griffin's have vigilance. This still allows you to chump the germ in the meantime with scourge. Otherwise your list looks fine. If there are a lot of turbo depths players in your meta then 2 edicts is fine. A fast 20/20 can be tough game 1 without chaining together multiple stix into Griffins into food chain (basicly blockers until you get there). I haven't tried Massacre wurm yet but have heard positive things about it and might give one a try myself probably over deluge.

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Getting into the groove of playing some Legacy again and took this deck for a league. Videos for those interested

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...mSRufUo7Mg0k4Q
    You can follow me on Twitter at: www.twitter.com/MartinFSNielsen

Quote Originally Posted by nevilshute View Post
    Getting into the groove of playing some Legacy again and took this deck for a league. Videos for those interested

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...mSRufUo7Mg0k4Q
    Nice and welcome back
    How do you feel FC is positioned?
    I haven't been in the mood for FC but people seem to think it's well positioned

EDIT: Food chain on MODO is unbarable, even to watch! They really need to work out the shortcuts...
    Last edited by JackaBo; 06-08-2018 at 05:03 PM.

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    Nice and welcome back
    How do you feel FC is positioned?
    I haven't been in the mood for FC but people seem to think it's well positioned

EDIT: Food chain on MODO is unbarable, even to watch! They really need to work out the shortcuts...
    Yeah. Playing Food Chain on mtgo requires force of will in more than one sense. Not sure how we fare vs all those pyroblasts out of opposing deathrite decks, but the combo is strong and we get to play a lot of the best cards in the format so I like our position in that sense.
    You can follow me on Twitter at: www.twitter.com/MartinFSNielsen

Jan 2015
    Portland, OR

Hello all! I top 8'd a 6 round of swiss, 34 person tournament yesterday and wanted to post my thoughts on it. Here is the list I brought: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=19394&d=323551&f=LE

While I do not have a fully detailed recollection of how everything shook out, I can do a quick once over of my matches:

R1 - Rory BUG Delver

G1 - BUG Delver did BUG Delvery stuff. 2 blindly flipped Delvers closed out the game pretty quickly.

G2 - I actually am pretty unclear about how this game went. I think I combo'd but am not sure how.

G3 - I kept a greedy hand that leaned on DRS a bit too hard, and was punished for it. I generally fetch up basics versus Wasteland decks, but for some reason needed a dual to play my hand as it was. The DRS died, the land died, I moved into the concede phase.

R2 - Nate Tezzerator

G1 - He sticks 2 Mox Diamonds and a Birthing Pod, I start to set up for the combo, but then go in for the Griffyn beat down plan. I apply too much pressure for him to dig out from under, and kill him before I see basically anything else.

G2 - Birthing Pod in Legacy is new for me, therefore I wasn't ENTIRELY sure what his game plan was, and I kept Forces in (which I generally do not do unless its versus combo). He sticks a Pod while I set up the beat down plan again, then goes for a 7mana Affinity for Artifacts creature that I definitely force. I am able to close the game, then he informs me Griselbrand was in my future if I had not Forced that. He was pretty choked on mana, not having a blue source that game, so he was unable to do much, which felt bad.

R3 - Rory number 2 (?) Mono Red Prison

G1 - I have a semi nut draw with 2 basics and a fetch that gets the other basic I need. I knew what he was on, since he had sat next to me the round before, so I had a bit of an edge. I fetch up my basic, play my Ponder before they land a T2 Chalice. He has prison effects, but after I Decay the Trinisphere, I pretty smoothly sail into a combo finish.

G2 - I leave in the Forces and take out Relic, a Ponder, and Clique for the 2 Thoughtseize and Brutality. The Thoughtseize grabs a Rabblemaster, revealing Blood Moon, Chalice and some lands. He Chalices then Blood Moons the next turn, but I naturally drew into the combo, and kill him a turn or two later. I really like Red Prison conceptually, but it seemed to run out of gas pretty hard both games. I was under no pressure to assemble anything, and was able to do so at my leisure.

R4 - Tim Czech Pile

G1 - Tim is a good friend of mine and a pillar of the local Legacy community. While known for his all foil DnT, he owns multiple copies of just about every deck in the format, so it really is a dice roll when you sit across from him. The last we played, he steam rolled me with Shardless, so I thought it would be BUGx something. He does a few things that were pretty characteristically Czech Pile plays, like fetch up Sea into Badlands, then Hymn me. So I knew pretty quickly. There is some good resource exchange here, but I get a Food Chain online to give the birds "vigilance" and that is more than enough of a board state to close things up.

G2 - This was probably my most unfortunate game of the day. As I know he is a very capable pilot, I believe he drew 3 total spells the entire game, and 13 of his mana sources. While one of the spells was a Hymn and another a Deluge, he just sort of sat there and watched me go ham with my fliers. I had certainly anticipated a more interactive game, but it was over fairly quickly because of him being on the wrong side of variance.

R5 - Derek Red Taxes

G1 - So these games were intense. I did not know what I was on, because when people fetch up Plateau, you generally stare in awe. Which is what I did. He also did it with a Flooded Strand, so I was all sorts of concerned. A few turns in, after a Vial and SFM hit the table, I had a better idea of what I was dealing with. I combo'd through some Ports and the like, but not knowing if I am going to be Magus of the Moon'd I had fetched for basics which turned of his Wastelands.

G2 - I cant recall how I boarded, but I don't think it was correct. I definitely did not bring in Needle, which I should have. I have been playing a ton of Eternal lately, and the "First Strike" rules in that game are different, so I had a pretty savage punt attacking a DRS into a Thalia offering the "trade". I shame scooped immediately.

G3 - Midrange soup in action! We slugged it out for a long while, me fighting through a Sanctum Prelate and some Ports. I was able to stick a Leovold, draw some cards, it died, stick ANOTHER Leovold, draw some cards, and ultimately this won me the game. I got a Food Chain and a full board of birds online toward the end, staring down a Crusader with Batterskull. I dropped a Pithing Needle on the board, naming SoFI, which I SHOULD have named Batterskull (since I was looking at it), but thought he may have drawn the Sword and was going to start killing my stuff. Eventually hitting for 9 in the air, and having 2 DRS online was enough to close out a very long and interesting game. My opponent was incredibly fun to interact with, and we had a good conversation throughout our game, which was easily one of the highlights of my day.

R6 - ID

R1 of Top 8 - Cody 4c Deathblade

G1- Cody and I have a really great rapport. He is easily one of the best and widely respected Legacy players in the area, and is a fantastic person to play Magic with. As we are shuffling up, he comments on my playmat: "Do you write for www.TeamRankstar.com? I have heard they put out some good stuff." Since I am the owner of the site, I nearly pass out from flattery in this moment, but drop a casual "Yea, I own the site!"

With my colored glasses firmly lodged on my face, we jump into the game. I have not played against much Deathblade, since it is all but nonexistent in our local meta. So I have never played against it on Food Chain. While I have experience with the deck, and know what Deathblade is capable of, I did not see some of the tech. I managed to cobble together enough value to combo off some how, and feel pretty good about it.

G2 - I did not see baby Jace coming. Between that flashing back StP a few times, and Bob getting him ahead on cards, I just could not keep up. We slug it out for a while, but I was a bit choked on cards after a Lily and some Thoughtseize action, so we move into G3.

G3 - This is definitely the game I am the most proud of. Not only am I giving a player who I respect a ton a run for their money, I feel like I make some really tight plays that give me the best chances to win. If he does not have the Force for my Deluge destroying his board of Bob, DRSx2 and Baby Jace, I pretty much win on the spot. Because he DID have the Force, I had to slither my way around his pressure, making some reasonable trades. The nail in the coffin turn was when I go to cast a Ballista for 6, which would have wiped out his Bob and something else, buying me enough time to find a Food Chain, and combo off with the pieces I had on board/in my hand. He politely Force of Will'd my game plan into the shadow realm, and swiftly ended the game on his next turn.

Overall, I think the list performed very well. While the Relic in the main was not particularly good today, it has been a house for me in the past, exiling cards in response to opponents DRS activation, getting a Griffyn out of the GY and so on. I would probably take a similar list to another event this weekend, but may find room for a Chalice in the SB. I am also likely going to swap out a Ponder for either a Search for Azcanta or a Sylvan Library.

Huge shout out to each of my opponents for being incredibly gracious and having great conversations after our games.

Thanks for reading!

Im testing this version with minor changes in last tournaments.

2 Baleful Strix
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Eternal Scourge
    1 Gurmag Angler
    2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    3 Misthollow Griffin
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Trinket Mage
    2 Walking Ballista
    4 Food Chain
    1 Sylvan Library
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Fatal Push
    4 Force of Will
    1 Bayou
    1 Forest
    2 Island
    2 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Manipulate Fate
    2 Ponder

Sideboard: 15
    1 Altar of the Brood
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Massacre Wurm
    1 Diabolic Edict
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Golgari Charm
    1 Surgical Extraction
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Toxic Deluge

I replace 2 strix for 2 snapcasters getting more flexibility and sometimes getting the cost 2 in same colour for continue the combo.

Im sb i think that the altar of brood is necesary when u have some lands in metagame, with the altar you can combo with sphere of the resistance.

Ill play it this weekend and ill try report the results.

Regards

Have anyone tried Spellseeker? Im gonna try the oneoff, seems like a good fit. Gets manipulate fate, push, Brainstorm and sideboard cards like surgical. And is good on a chain to griffins!

Thread Information