Page 69 of 83 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1659

Thread: [Deck] Food Chain Combo

Re: [Deck] Food Chain Combo

Regarding MF: if i have 4+ lands i usually exile 3 fetches. Generally i consider 2 mana: draw a card a better topdeck than another land at that point. Or i just keep it to pitch to fow.

Regarding compost: i like this card in other decks. Versus black control decks i feel we have a good enough match up to not need it. Versus black combo i'd rather play another interactive spell.

So, I'm looking into Food Chain and seriously considering buying into it, but there are a couple of questions I'd like to ask:

How do you deal with g1 against combo? Is it just a given that it's their game and we board hard against them g2 and g3 and hope for the best?
    How essential is it to have 19 lands? Are 18 lands viable?
    Is it worth it dedicating 2 SB slots to needle and EE in order to get the full trinket toolbox, or is relic enough?
    How does the deck win when it can't get a Food Chain online? Is the value game strong enough?

I was thinking about a configuration like the following, but have no idea if it's just way too greedy. I feel like this way, the MD is a bit less fragile against combo without sacrificing too much against fair decks, but cutting a land in a mana base like this worries me. And while I like having more options for trinket mage SB, I feel like I'm trying to do too much.

1 Eternal Scourge
    1 Trinket Mage
    2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    3 Misthollow Griffin
    3 Walking Ballista
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Deathrite Shaman

3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Thoughtseize
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Ponder
    3 Manipulate Fate
    4 Food Chain

1 Bayou
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    4 Poluted Delta
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Island
    1 Forest
    1 Swamp

2 Flusterstorm
    3 Hymn to Touch
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Toxic Deluge
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Golgari Charm
    1 Engineered Explosives

Total 75

I'd appreciate the opinions of experienced pilots like you on this list, and maybe why these points are a good/bad idea.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by trinkets; 10-29-2017 at 01:09 PM.

Oct 2013
    Berlin

I'm on the 20 lands build train right now and it feels pretty good. A third Tropical Island was added in order to support more the maindeck Scooze (which helped me comboing out on turn 3 OTD at our lgs).

Still wondering if Garruk Relentless (or Nissa, Vital Force but probably Garruk more) could be a viable sb choice, since it looks like a decent answer to all those 4C Control going around. Thing is that I don't see what to cut. Three sweepers, in form of EE, GCharm and Toxic Deluge are the correct number and on top if it, EE is Trinket's tutorable. I see Carpet as not good to go too, since it handles the Grixis matchup pretty good.

List for any reference:

Creatures:18
    3 Walking Ballista
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Baleful Strix
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Eternal Scourge
    1 Trinket Mage
    3 Misthollow Griffin

Spells:22
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Fatal Push
    3 Ponder
    2 Abrupt Decay
    3 Manipulate Fate
    4 Food Chain
    4 Force of Will

Lands:20
    1 Bayou
    1 Forest
    2 Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard:15
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Carpet of Flowers
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Diabolic Edict
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Toxic Deluge
    TEAM MtG Berlin

"Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    So dismissive.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    This thread is great. I've been able to save so much money on seasoning! Whenever I'm eating something bland, I just wander over here to borrow some of the infinite salt.

Hi community, here my list I tested last weekend in a little tournament.

Creatures:18
    3 Walking Ballista
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Baleful Strix
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Eternal Scourge
    1 Trinket Mage
    3 Misthollow Griffin

Spells:22
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Fatal Push
    2 Ponder
    2 Abrupt Decay
    3 Manipulate Fate
    4 Food Chain
    4 Force of Will
    1 Relic of Progenitus

Lands:20
    1 Bayou
    1 Forest
    2 Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard:15
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 To the Slaughter
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Surgical Extraction
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Diabolic Edict
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Toxic Deluge

1° round Vs. Sneak and Show (2-0) OTD
    Game 1: he resolved a S&T to Griselbrand but I put on the battlefield Leovold, in my turn I play Strix that gave me a lot of time to combo off.
    Game 2: he mullingan at 5 and didn't find any of his creatures with Sneak and Show on the table, I closed the game with Eternal scourge for letal
    Sideboard: -2 fatal push, -4 food chain, -3 Walking ballista, +3 Thoughtseize, +1 Vendilion Clique, +1 Pithing Needle, +2 Diabolic Edict, +1 Golgari Charm, +1 To the Slaughter

2° round Vs. Punishing Abzan (1-1) OTD
    Game 1: he resolved turn 1 a sylvan library that made a big advantage for him
    Game 2: I started with Deathrite Shaman and some basic lands until I combo off without pressure
    Game 3: We exchanged resources, I had to sacrifice my ballista to slow down his Chandra. In his last additional turn he swimg me with 2 Knight of the reliquary 7/7 but I surgical a land using black mana.
    Sideboard: -4 Force of Will, -3 Baleful Strix, +2 Surgical Extraction, +1 Pithing Needle, +1 To the Slaughter, +2 Diabolic Edict, +1 Golgari Charm

3° round Vs. BR Reanimator (2-1) OTP
    Game 1: He had a great hand and started with a reanimate on Griselbrand, I forced it. I played land and Deathrite shaman, pass. Turn 2 he reanimate again and win.
    Game 2: Start with Deathrite and 2 Force of will active, he tryed to combo off again with double reanimate but I forced. Luckly he use his Thoughtseize to discard his creature.
    Game 3: The board was stalled with all my creatures but he had blazing archon enchad with animate dead. Lots of turns until I draw a decay and win.
    Sideboard: -2 Fatal Push, -4 Food chain, -3 Walking ballista, +3 Thoughtseize, +2 Diabolic Edict, +2 Surgical Extraction, +1 Vendilion Clique, +1 Pithing Needle

4° round Vs.UW Standstill (2-0) OTP
    Game 1: He keep a very bad hand with only 2 islands and He didn't draw any more lands. I tryed to cast Food chain but he counterspell so I keep attacking with my Eternal Scourge and my Baleful Strix for letal.
    Game 2: He keep in maindeck his Rest in Peace and Swords to plowshares, so my creatures were almost infinite. He played Energy field but I had my golgari charm and win.
    Sideboard: -4 Force of will, -1 Relic of progenitus, +1 Pithing needle, +1 golgari charm, +1 to the slaughter, +2 Thoughtseize

5° round Vs Grixis delver (0-2) OTP
    Game 1 and 2: he had a lot of removal for my deathrite and for my lands and when i reach 3 mana he had Daze to kill me. I made a lot of errors searching lands with fetches and always he punished me with wasteland!
    Sideboard: -4 Force of Will, -1 Trinket Mage, +1 Golgari charm, +1 Toxic deluge, +1 Engineered Explosives, +2 Surgical Extraction (bad choice ever)

Please, let me know how to sideboarding against Grixis matchups.

Top 8:
    Again with the same guy with Grixis delver of the last swiss round. (0-2)
    Game 1 and 2: no match, because I'm very bad against Grixis. Always same errors and bad sideboarding. Need to test again.

Pro: Scavenging ooze is a good creature and versus BR reanimator and Punishing abzan is God. I like also Relic of progenitus that helped me to make my griffin a serious threat.
    Con: Trinket mage because only one time he helped me to find a Pithing needle maybe I come back to 4x Walking ballista.

As always: sorry for my bad english!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    5° round Vs Grixis delver (0-2) OTP
    Game 1 and 2: he had a lot of removal for my deathrite and for my lands and when i reach 3 mana he had Daze to kill me. I made a lot of errors searching lands with fetches and always he punished me with wasteland!
    Sideboard: -4 Force of Will, -1 Trinket Mage, +1 Golgari charm, +1 Toxic deluge, +1 Engineered Explosives, +2 Surgical Extraction (bad choice ever)

Please, let me know how to sideboarding against Grixis matchups.
    Why not keep the Trinket Mage in if you're bringing in Engineered Explosives? I agree that Surgical is bad against Delver. Not sure what the 4th Force of Will should be. Maybe a Thoughtseize to clear the way for the combo?

Quote Originally Posted by battousai555 View Post
    Why not keep the Trinket Mage in if you're bringing in Engineered Explosives? I agree that Surgical is bad against Delver. Not sure what the 4th Force of Will should be. Maybe a Thoughtseize to clear the way for the combo?
    I would cut some combination of strix and food chain (or thoughtseize if you run it maindeck) for the three sweepers.
    Force is great against delver since you may be too slow and fow can save your ass.
    You dont really need to combo to win, just survive, make land drops, and resolve MF then start casting threats. Ballista is good however since he can pick off peezys and unflipped delvers.
    Strix is good versus delver and angler bit bad versus elemental tokens and TNN.

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    I would cut some combination of strix and food chain (or thoughtseize if you run it maindeck) for the three sweepers.
    Force is great against delver since you may be too slow and fow can save your ass.
    You dont really need to combo to win, just survive, make land drops, and resolve MF then start casting threats. Ballista is good however since he can pick off peezys and unflipped delvers.
    Strix is good versus delver and angler bit bad versus elemental tokens and TNN.
    Interesting! I'm brand new to the deck, so I was taking a shot in the dark. Strix seems so good because it can trade with anything they have, though. It feels weird cutting any at all, but I'll do some testing and see what's up with it. Thank you for your input.

[Deck] Food Chain Combo

I'm not suggesting cutting strix versus delver in general. If you seen more anglers, less TNNs dont cut strix.
    Versus decks that go wide strix is less good as it also dies to your own sweepers.
    Last edited by JackaBo; 11-06-2017 at 10:48 AM.

May 2010
    Toronto, Canada

Went to a local tournament on Sunday, made top 4 with the same list that I posted a few pages back. Won against Dredge, Elves and Maverick, lost to Sneak/Show and drew into top 8. Quarters, beat Miracles with Gideon of the Trials and Gideon, Ally of Zendikar maindeck and lost in Semis to Deadguy Ale.

Deck still feels really strong. I'm still trying out the Compost in the sideboard and against Dredge, it drew me around 18+ cards in one of our games. Going to leave it in to see if it's still worth a sideboard slot.

One thing that I have seen recently, it seems like the past few Sneak/Show decks i've played against all side in Leyline of Sanctity against me since they're afraid of the combo kill and I've been siding out the combo but the Leyline is splashing hating the Diabolic Edicts that I board in so it feels like there's a lot less outs against this deck. Does anybody have a good idea of what to do against this? Sideboarding in stuff like Krosan Grip doesn't seem like a winning strategy....

Maybe a bounce spell in the board? Does what edict does vs show n tell, Reanimator and lands, plus handles wierd enchantments and artifacts with cmc>3. I lost a game to Orbs of Warding :P

Hi, I have a question and i can't find an answer on internet:

if opponent activates Garruk Relentless and targets my Eternal Scourge, does Scourge deal damage to Garruk?

Thanks in advance!

No, It's not on the battlefield as the ability resolves

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Food Chain won a 200+ tournament in Italy yesterday.

http://www.magictitans.it/legacy-lis...askas-war-5-0/
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

Quote Originally Posted by Manipulato View Post
    Food Chain won a 200+ tournament in Italy yesterday.

http://www.magictitans.it/legacy-lis...askas-war-5-0/
    I was the food chain’s player (292 players)

Quote Originally Posted by ORDAL View Post
    Congrats! Would love to hear a report and specifically how liliana performed

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by ORDAL View Post
    Yeah I thought so I was quite surprised about your more "old" list without any Trinket Mages, only 2 Ponder and still the 2 TS in the MD...Not that it´s bad or something but against the current trend.

It would be great to hear some feedback from you or a short tournament report.

Greetings
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

Quote Originally Posted by Manipulato View Post
    Yeah I thought so I was quite surprised about your more "old" list without any Trinket Mages, only 2 Ponder and still the 2 TS in the MD...Not that it´s bad or something but against the current trend.

It would be great to hear some feedback from you or a short tournament report.

Greetings
    I will make a little report, and make another top8 in november in another tournament with 100+ players but there isnt in tc decks righe now.
    And i make top8 in Nebraska war 5 side event saturday (117 players) with another deck becuase my food chain was at home, i drop main event modern and my friend rest the deck

Does Flusterstorm ever come in against decks that aren't combo? If so, which ones?

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by battousai555 View Post
    Does Flusterstorm ever come in against decks that aren't combo? If so, which ones?
    They come in vs Burn, 4c Czech Pile, New Miracles and here and there vs Delver. You can say it comes in vs MU´s where it´s very important to resolve Manipulate Fate or Food Chain and to disrupt Snapcaster shenagians...
    Last edited by Manipulato; 12-12-2017 at 09:52 AM.
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

I also bring in fluster vs elves

Thread Information