Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Food Chain Combo

Jun 2013
    Indiana

Re: [Primer] Food Chain Combo

Okay guys the tournament i will be going to is this sunday and here is my list.

Its RUG because its my favorite combination and I have a red backup plan.

Creatures:

3x Deathrite Shaman
    1x Birds of Paradise
    3x Fierce Empath
    2x Drift of Phantasms
    2x Coiling Oracle
    3x Griffin
    1x Eternal Witness
    1x Mulldrifter
    1x Emrakul
    1x Ashen Rider
    1x Griselbrand

Spells:
    4x Food Chain
    4x Force of Will
    2x Spell Pierce
    2x Daze
    3x Manipulate Fate
    4x Brainstorm
    3x Ponder

Lands:
    4x Misty Rainforest
    4x Scalding Tarn
    4x Island
    3x Forest
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Tropical Island
    1x Volcanic Island
    1x Taiga

Sideboard:
    2x Through The breach--------main reason for red
    1x Red Elemental Blast
    1x Spellskite
    1x Flusterstorm
    2x Obstinate Baloth
    1x Krosan Grip
    2x Echoing Truth
    1x Iona
    1x Elesh Norn
    2x Relic of Progenitus
    1x Notion Theif

I know there is not a lot of dual lands mainly because If I lose its not because I get wasteland locked.

I noticed Liliana of the Veil can be a problem and hymn to tourach, which is why obstinate baloth is in the board.

Sneak Attack probably seems more viable than through the breach, but I do prefer through the breach because it cannot be pithing needled.

Main deck Ashen Rider is mainly because I'm chosing not to lose to sneak and show g1.

Spellskite is the answer to abrupt decay

Notion Theif pretty much stomps every brainstorm deck that does not run immediate removal due to the fact that i don't play undergrounds. They think the coast is clear with no black but I can sack creatures on THEIR turn because notion thief does have flash.

Open to any and all feedback but try to make it quick because this win a dual land tourney is this Sunday (March 16th)

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by KevinSrednoselac View Post
    Okay guys the tournament i will be going to is this sunday and here is my list.

Its RUG because its my favorite combination and I have a red backup plan.

Creatures:

3x Deathrite Shaman
    1x Birds of Paradise
    3x Fierce Empath
    2x Drift of Phantasms
    2x Coiling Oracle
    3x Griffin
    1x Eternal Witness
    1x Mulldrifter
    1x Emrakul
    1x Ashen Rider
    1x Griselbrand

Spells:
    4x Food Chain
    4x Force of Will
    2x Spell Pierce
    2x Daze
    3x Manipulate Fate
    4x Brainstorm
    3x Ponder

Lands:
    4x Misty Rainforest
    4x Scalding Tarn
    4x Island
    3x Forest
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Tropical Island
    1x Volcanic Island
    1x Taiga

Sideboard:
    2x Through The breach--------main reason for red
    1x Red Elemental Blast
    1x Spellskite
    1x Flusterstorm
    2x Obstinate Baloth
    1x Krosan Grip
    2x Echoing Truth
    1x Iona
    1x Elesh Norn
    2x Relic of Progenitus
    1x Notion Theif

I know there is not a lot of dual lands mainly because If I lose its not because I get wasteland locked.

I noticed Liliana of the Veil can be a problem and hymn to tourach, which is why obstinate baloth is in the board.

Sneak Attack probably seems more viable than through the breach, but I do prefer through the breach because it cannot be pithing needled.

Main deck Ashen Rider is mainly because I'm chosing not to lose to sneak and show g1.

Spellskite is the answer to abrupt decay

Notion Theif pretty much stomps every brainstorm deck that does not run immediate removal due to the fact that i don't play undergrounds. They think the coast is clear with no black but I can sack creatures on THEIR turn because notion thief does have flash.

Open to any and all feedback but try to make it quick because this win a dual land tourney is this Sunday (March 16th)

Cheers
    Hi, interesting list and good luck to the tournament!

I have a few questions about your list.
    1. What is the single Eternal witness for? You don't have intuition package or others to use it so most of the time it could be just a 2/1 guy for 3 mana..?
    2. Single dryad arbor without green sun's zenith or natural order? It doesn't speed up your plays (actually slowers you because you can't tap it for mana the turn you play it).
    3. Many one-offs and 2-offs in your sideboard without any way to tutor them? Most of the time you end up without seeing them when you need them.
    4. Through the breach (and only 2 of them) with only one emrakul. Also it is cmc 5 and you don't have any other mana ramp/fast mana than 4 manadorks. I would try to play a few ancient tombs with it.

Jun 2013
    Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Obould View Post
    Hi, interesting list and good luck to the tournament!

I have a few questions about your list.
    1. What is the single Eternal witness for? You don't have intuition package or others to use it so most of the time it could be just a 2/1 guy for 3 mana..?
    2. Single dryad arbor without green sun's zenith or natural order? It doesn't speed up your plays (actually slowers you because you can't tap it for mana the turn you play it).
    3. Many one-offs and 2-offs in your sideboard without any way to tutor them? Most of the time you end up without seeing them when you need them.
    4. Through the breach (and only 2 of them) with only one emrakul. Also it is cmc 5 and you don't have any other mana ramp/fast mana than 4 manadorks. I would try to play a few ancient tombs with it.

eternal witness i learned is good because if my crap gets hymned or abrupt decayed I don't have to worry in g1. Its usually always a side out unless i play something like pox.

dryad arbor is pretty much a cute card that i will get with misty rainforest, i was thinking about dropping it but im still not sure yet, I kind of like it.

the deck plays an insane amount of cantrips so sideboard cards have never been a problem for me. Through the breach and emrakul is good with the fierce empath but even better with ashen rider because through the breach makes you sacrifice the creature not exile it, so double ashen rider exile trigger

i have never had land problems once, considering wasteland decks can't beat me

I agree with ancient tomb but at the same time I like having 19 mana with 4 mana dorks and I cannot find room for ancient tomb.

I will post any changes after the event if there are any

Jun 2013
    Indiana

So I went x-2 at the legacy tourney. Both games I lost were to reanimator. I learned that this deck has a bad combo matchup especially when the combo deck plays thoughtseize. Uw miracles is probably the best match because they can't swords your Griffin. Control decks allow you the time you need to set up. I ended up in 6th place( not terrible). But I probably wouldn't play this deck again. I think food chain needs a better plan that isnt griffin beat down.

So I went x-2 at the legacy tourney. Both games I lost were to reanimator. I learned that this deck has a bad combo matchup especially when the combo deck plays thoughtseize. Uw miracles is probably the best match because they can't swords your Griffin. Control decks allow you the time you need to set up. I ended up in 6th place( not terrible). But I probably wouldn't play this deck again. I think food chain needs a better plan that isnt griffin beat down.
    This is the reason I use natural order MD and show and tell sideboard. Against storm combos I now have ruric in sideboard to tutor with natural order or put from show and tell (hopefully turn 2). But I agree that combos are bad if not our worst matches.

Jun 2013
    Indiana

I was thinkin of making a cascade version of the deck with bloodbraid ill post it later

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I was thinkin of making a cascade version of the deck with bloodbraid ill post it later
    Can you include Maelstrom Wanderer, just for kicks? :)
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Can you include Maelstrom Wanderer, just for kicks? :)
    The problem you wil get with a Cascade version is that all creatures with Cascade are multicolored, and Food chain produces mana of any one single color to your mana pool.

So you'll be able to Cascade a lot only when you'll get infinite, and that's the main problem you'll encounter

Mar 2014
    Boston

I'm actually interested in putting this deck together, but I have two questions.

1) Is drift of phantasms actually playable in the deck. I know it gets food chain but I feel like there has to be something better. Like Maybe even Goyf.
    2) Has anyone play tested Time of Need or Wordly Tutor.
    Playing some variety of delver.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I was personally thinking of BANT with Eledamri's call.

My buddy went 3-0-1 and won his top 8 match with a BUG version last night. The deck is pretty cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2014
    Boston

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post

My buddy went 3-0-1 and won his top 8 match with a BUG version last night. The deck is pretty cool
    Bant also gives you Enlightened Tutor. Now we only need an EidolonofGriselbees enchantment/creature in nyx and we are good to go.

Hi,

do you remember the list your friend played with? And how was the match ups..?

And I think someone tried a bant version last year when the old food chain thread was "active". Maybe the list can be found somewhere..

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi,

And I think someone tried a bant version last year when the old food chain thread was "active". Maybe the list can be found somewhere..
    There's a link to the old thread on the first page of this primer :)

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Hi,

He played this - Aethersnipe (he forgot to add in before the tourney, +Teferi, Mage of Zhilfers (sp?) because yolo.

3x Misthollow Griffin
    3x Fierce Empath
    1x Aethersnipe
    1x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    4x Baleful Strix
    4x Deathrite Shaman
    4x Brainstorm
    3x Abrupt Decay
    4x Force of Will
    3x Manipulate Fate
    4x Ponder
    3x Thoughtseize
    4x Food Chain
    1x Swamp
    1x Island
    2x Underground Sea
    2x Bayou
    3x Tropical Island
    4x Polluted Delta
    3x Verdant Catacombs
    3x Misty Rainforest
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Sep 2011

Above list with Strix looks good. No Griselbrand? I thought that was one of the points of Snipe (you have exact Griselbrand mana if you Empath -> Snipe -> Empath -> Griselbees)

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Jonathan Job on camera at SCGLA in round 4 right now with UG Food Chain! Up a game against Punishing Maverick :) Go go!

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Pretty sure he is in Top 8. Is this a real deck now?

Now? It has been a real deck!
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Mar 2014
    Boston

I am absolutely rooting for him.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Benrobnu View Post
    I am absolutely rooting for him.
    Tidespout Tyrant seems like great tech.
    How can his deck function without Fierce Empaths though? Does he just go Griffin beatdown more often than not? What's the point of Food Chain if you can't search for and play a fatty?

Thread Information