Page 73 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2363697071727374757677 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 1659

Thread: [Deck] Food Chain Combo

Re: [Deck] Food Chain Combo

S&S is definitely a bad matchup. Flusterstorm is obviously good, but everyone plays it now so it's never a "gotcha". Vs show&tell it's basically just spell pierce. It can't even hit sneak attack.

I've seen some lists run Invasive Surgery which seems ok.

How about Swan Song? It unconditionally hits everything, and a 2/2 flier is nbd for us. Anyone test it?

Anyone try pattern of rebirth in this deck? Walking Ballista is a good sac outlet...I forgot food chain won't work with pattern but it still seems reasonable. Therapy and a phyrexian tower could be other sac outlets. Plus just putting a pattern on a strix and blocking something works too. Pattern on TNN dodges removal.

Something like:

3 pattern of rebirth
    3 food chain
    4 Griffin
    1 emrakul

4 fow
    3 cabal therapy
    4 bstorm
    3 ponder

4 Drs
    3 walking Ballista
    2 TNN
    3 strix
    1 leovold

1 sylvan library

2 chrome mox
    1 phyrexian tower
    19 land

Hey, I was wondering if I could get some advice on sideboarding vs. Miracles. My List:
    Lands (20)
    1 Bayou
    1 Forest
    2 Island
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    4 Verdant Catacombs

Creatures (18)
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    1 Eternal Scourge
    2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    3 Misthollow Griffin
    4 Walking Ballista

Instants/Sorc. (17)
    2 Abrupt Decay
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    3 Manipulate Fate
    1 Murderous Cut
    3 Ponder

Other Spells (5)
    4 Food Chain
    1 Sylvan Library

Sideboard
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Invasive Surgery
    2 Surgical Extraction

My current plan is just -4 Strix, +2 Thoughtseize, +1 Pithing Needle, +1 Invasive Surgery. The second Invasive Surgery and Flusterstorms also seem good, but I'm not sure what else would come out. Maybe a Forest for the second Surgery? I'm always afraid of Blood Moon, though. Murderous Cut? It can at least kill an angel token or something and get my countered Misthollows into exile, but not sure if that's really that great. Anyway, thanks in advance for any input!

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Against Miracles EE on 0 cuts them off angels and Mentor tokens, so that's worth considering.

You could cut 2 Food Chain and 2 Walking Ballista, you don't need to combo win to persevere here. Just resolving a Manipulate Fate puts enormous pressure on them, outside of Terminus and postboard REB they're short on effective answers. If you're constantly forcing them to dig for answers it'll be that much harder for them to dig for their wincon. Especially if you keep the threat of Food Chain out of nowhere (something like CMC 3+ on the field with a Griffin in Exile and 4 cards in hand) they will be conservative in their play and you won't be as rushed to overextend yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

the deck is very very fun, I'm trying at my LGS with different MUs.

Combo aside, I never thought I had so many problems against grixis delver. Strix is always bolted. Griffon is too slow to stop delver, and it's often under daze. If pyromancer starts to make tokens, it's over. Ballista can shot 1 creature, but spending 4 mana to kill a delver or a shaman is so bad.... Gurmag too it's hard to stop, TNN impossible.
    I have a gurmag too on my side and a liliana TLH maindeck, but this mu still seems very very hard to me. Is it also for you or I'm doing someting wrong? :\

Quote Originally Posted by Morden View Post
    the deck is very very fun, I'm trying at my LGS with different MUs.

Combo aside, I never thought I had so many problems against grixis delver. Strix is always bolted. Griffon is too slow to stop delver, and it's often under daze. If pyromancer starts to make tokens, it's over. Ballista can shot 1 creature, but spending 4 mana to kill a delver or a shaman is so bad.... Gurmag too it's hard to stop, TNN impossible.
    I have a gurmag too on my side and a liliana TLH maindeck, but this mu still seems very very hard to me. Is it also for you or I'm doing someting wrong? :\
    Grixis Delver is tough and their best draws are basically unbeatable for this deck. It gets a bit easier if we win the DRS war. I find myself jamming things into Daze in this MU more than other delver MUs since that at least slows them down and makes them "have it". We just don't have time to play around Daze.

Don't be shy to FoW their turn 1 delver. I also will do ballista for x=1 to kill unflipped delver. I play 1 fatal push main and more SB to help have early interaction.

But at the end of the day, Grixis Delver is still the "best" deck in Legacy, so don't feel bad to lose to it.

thanks Kaono, inspiring and encouraging!

[Deck] Food Chain Combo

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post

You could cut 2 Food Chain and 2 Walking Ballista, you don't need to combo win to persevere here. Just resolving a Manipulate Fate puts enormous pressure on them, outside of Terminus and postboard REB they're short on effective answers. If you're constantly forcing them to dig for answers it'll be that much harder for them to dig for their wincon. Especially if you keep the threat of Food Chain out of nowhere (something like CMC 3+ on the field with a Griffin in Exile and 4 cards in hand) they will be conservative in their play and you won't be as rushed to overextend yourself.
    I dont think this is correct. Post board they have three REB to kill griffins and hinder MF. However they have low chance of fighting a turn 2 food chain you want to maximize that chance. With a food chain in play your griffins and scourge are much more frightening for them. I would not cut any combo pieces.
    I would board out strixes and in with discard and counters. The EE advice is also good.

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    I dont think this is correct. Post board they have three REB to kill griffins and hinder MF. However they have low chance of fighting a turn 2 food chain you want to maximize that chance. With a food chain in play your griffins and scourge are much more frightening for them. I would not cut any combo pieces.
    I would board out strixes and in with discard and counters. The EE advice is also good.
    That's what seemed to make the most sense because Strix feels like the weakest card against them by far. Would you prioritize Flusterstorm or Invasive Surgery?

Actually flusterstorm. To win the counterwar over FC or MF. Surgery does take terminus but usually it's just better not playing into it, than trying to counter it.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

With Food Chain in play Griffins and Scourge are much more frightening to everybody, Miracles isn't special in that regard.

I'm not saying that you need to cut combo pieces, we all agree that Strix is the first card to go, but if you have more cards to bring in, trimming some combo isn't awful. They're an opponent where windmill slamming Food Chain down isn't a game won. Ballista doesn't have any sub-infinite targets of value to snipe, so it's low value outside the combo.

Even, constant, persistent pressure will force them to find answer after answer and eventually destroy their card advantage. If you can keep them from resolving Jace or flipping Search, then you can grind them out. Yes blasting your Griffin is on the table, but then every DRS is a must answer threat.

They won't have an answer for everything and if you keep them guessing as to which way you're leaning eventually you can catch them flat-footed. That's my advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

May 2016
    Toronto

Andrea Mengucci almost never boards out Strix. At worst it's an expensive cantrip, and Miracles doesn't put much pressure on our life total to punish paying 2 to cycle Strix.

Quote Originally Posted by dull View Post
    Andrea Mengucci almost never boards out Strix. At worst it's an expensive cantrip, and Miracles doesn't put much pressure on our life total to punish paying 2 to cycle Strix.
    The cards we're bringing in are better than an expensive cantrip, though, and the cards we would take out instead of strix are also better than an expensive cantrip.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaono View Post
    The cards we're bringing in are better than an expensive cantrip, though, and the cards we would take out instead of strix are also better than an expensive cantrip.
    I second that

I know it may not even happen, but all this DRS ban talk since the open has me a little scared. Is this deck viable without it? I assume we'd switch to Noble Hierarch and get a lot weaker, but still be playable.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sobakasu510 View Post
    I know it may not even happen, but all this DRS ban talk since the open has me a little scared. Is this deck viable without it? I assume we'd switch to Noble Hierarch and get a lot weaker, but still be playable.

I guess we take a big hit from loosing DRS. But probably an even bigger hit from how the meta might turn out. Like if the ban increase combo decks and/or stifle decks i wouldn't play this deck anyway.
    But i have bought a playset of Hierarchs just in case :)

Quote Originally Posted by sobakasu510 View Post

Relic + nobles main deck is the answer

Quote Originally Posted by ORDAL View Post
    Relic + nobles main deck is the answer
    Right on, thanks.

I recently put a Sylvan Library and Relic (1 Trinket) in my maindeck and find them very useful for my LGS's meta. However, I'm curious as to whether or not they should stay in post-board vs. Grixis Delver. Relic seems good because it not only makes Angler harder to cast, but also impedes their Deathrites. I'm guessing Sylvan is probably too slow because we can't pay extra life vs. Delver and it doesn't do anything the turn it enters play. Thoughts?

New spoiler from Dominaria:
    Squee, the Immortal
    1RR
    Legendary Creature - Goblin
    2/1
    You may cast ~ from your graveyard or from exile.

Smaller and harder to cast than Eternal Scourge but can be cast from GY and red gives access to Pyroblast, REB, Punishing Grove, Dack Fayden. Imperial Recruiter searches up Squee and Ballista.
    If DRS gets banned RUG might be the way to go.

Oct 2012
    shanghai, china

Hi, I am new to this deck and need some guide :)

I encountered such an opening hand vs Grixis Delver , 3rd game, I am on the draw:
    1 fetch , 1 Noble Hierarch , 2 fatal push, 1 Manipulate Fate , 1 Ballista

Should I keep or mull ?

Thanks in advance

Thread Information