Page 18 of 70 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Sneak and Show

Re: [DTB] Sneak and Show

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Zhong View Post
    Been testing this deck alot lately, going to a big tourney this weekend, but haven't settled on a SB yet. There are so many sideboard options available, and sideboard space is really tight. For a large tournament representative of the DTB metagame, which 15 cards would provide the best coverage?

Here are the candidates:

3 pyroclasm - elves, D&T, UWR delver, BUG delver, deathblade
    3 pyroblast/REB - All blue decks =)
    3 blood moon - All delver variants and deathblade/shardless bug
    2 defense grid - UWR delver, RUG delver, miracles
    2 through the breach - mirror, reanimator, D&T?
    2 grafdigger's cage - reanimator, dredge, elves
    2 vendilion cliques - All fast combo decks, and probably all blue decks in general. Seems great during post board games, where game play slows down, and sometimes you just beat with the clique 6-7 times ftw, I can even see mainboarding it instead of the 2 jaces in some lists because it complements the S&T plan so perfectly
    2 divert - shardless bug and bug delver
    2 swan song - all fast combo decks and miracles
    1 flusterstorm - all fast combo decks and probably all blue decks
    1 pithing needle - D&T, miracles, bug delver, shardless
    1 shattering spree / vandalblast - D&T mostly + another out to random permanent hate like chalice, bridge and needle from other decks
    1 wipe away / echoing truth - D&T, miracles, mirror, reanimator, any deck packing random permanent hate

25 cards total, need to pick 15, any thoughts/suggestions?

Here is my SB at the moment... I REALLY want to squeeze in Defense Grid but I cant make room

1 Boseiju
    1 Grafdiggers Cage
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Shattering Spree
    2 Swan Song
    1 Echoing Truth
    3 Pyroclasm
    3 Blood Moon
    2 TTB

Been testing this deck alot lately, going to a big tourney this weekend, but haven't settled on a SB yet. There are so many sideboard options available, and sideboard space is really tight. For a large tournament representative of the DTB metagame, which 15 cards would provide the best coverage?

Here are the candidates:

3 pyroclasm - elves, D&T, UWR delver, BUG delver, deathblade
    3 pyroblast/REB - All blue decks =)
    3 blood moon - All delver variants and deathblade/shardless bug
    2 defense grid - UWR delver, RUG delver, miracles
    2 through the breach - mirror, reanimator, D&T?
    2 grafdigger's cage - reanimator, dredge, elves
    2 vendilion cliques - All fast combo decks, and probably all blue decks in general. Seems great during post board games, where game play slows down, and sometimes you just beat with the clique 6-7 times ftw, I can even see mainboarding it instead of the 2 jaces in some lists because it complements the S&T plan so perfectly
    2 divert - shardless bug and bug delver
    2 swan song - all fast combo decks and miracles
    1 flusterstorm - all fast combo decks and probably all blue decks
    1 pithing needle - D&T, miracles, bug delver, shardless
    1 shattering spree / vandalblast - D&T mostly + another out to random permanent hate like chalice, bridge and needle from other decks
    1 wipe away / echoing truth - D&T, miracles, mirror, reanimator, any deck packing random permanent hate

25 cards total, need to pick 15, any thoughts/suggestions?
    Given your options, I would go with the following:

3 Pyroclasm
    2 Blood Moon
    2 Through The Breach
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Shattering Spree

What is your main looking like? That might change some decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    --Complaining about combo decks, cheap threats, and less player interaction--
    Welcome to legacy bra.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassigned View Post
    Given your options, I would go with the following:

3 Pyroclasm
    2 Blood Moon
    2 Through The Breach
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Shattering Spree

What is your main looking like? That might change some decisions.
    the stock 51 + 4 spell pierce, 4 probe, and 1 intuition

4 pierces have been great, though I can definitely see having the 3-1 pierce/misdirection split. Intuition has been good to excellent every time i drew it. there were multiple games where I used it to assemble to combo, other times, I use it to grab a sol land or fow for protection, yes, demonic tutor is still good at 3 mana.

the probes are the only slots I'm not sure on. I personally love to have information when playing a combo deck and so I have been happy with 4, but if the plan is to not lose to D&T, then i can see jamming 2-3 fire/ice instead. Preordain is another candidate to replace some number of probes with. They seems a bit unnecessary, but it never hurts to be more consistent. Probe vs preordain is essentially speed vs consistency.

If you wanted to hedge your bets a bit and be better against DnT and Miracles how would you adjust the main and or side?

Quote Originally Posted by nodahero View Post
    If you wanted to hedge your bets a bit and be better against DnT and Miracles how would you adjust the main and or side?
    i would play 2 fire/ice in the MD over 2 probes or 1 probe and 1 intuition. For the SB, I would want at least 3 pyroclasms and 2 pithing needles.

I can't see losing to D&T too often if you have 2 fire/ice, 3 pyro and 2 needles, which gets vial and karakas. You basically become a control deck with a combo kill against them post board.

For miracles, in addition to the needles which are great against them, i would play 2-3 REBs and a boseiju against them. One of the ways miracles can win quickly is via clique beatdown and REB takes care of that easily. I also like to counter their brainstorms with REB because they often have dead miracle cards in their hand they need to put back.

Oct 2011
    Berlin, Germany

In addition to what Hank Zhong wrote, Sulfur Elemental is also a very strong SB card against D&T and definitely useful as a beater against Miracles, since they won't have any spot-removal post-board (except maybe Council's Judgement, and you can be happy when they waste that on the Elemental).

Another possibility is adding Progenitus to the sideboard, because it gets around all of the permanent-based hate both D&T and Miracles have to offer.

Awesome. Thanks for the input.

Now I just need to decide if I am playing this or if I am going to play 12 post this weekend.

Oct 2011
    Berlin, Germany

Awesome. Thanks for the input.

Now I just need to decide if I am playing this or if I am going to play 12 post this weekend.
    That depends on whether you want to win whatever tournament you play this weekend. If it's a small local tourney, 12-post might be more fun, regardless of success. If it's an SCG Open, you should probably play the better deck.

It also depends on what you expect to play against. If all you want to do is smash miracles, definitely play post.

The meta I faced last time was fairly open until the top 8 when it was like 3 BUG lists and 3 Miracles lists plus a Tezz list and me with Sneak and Show.

If my priamrily focus is to beat Miracles and BUG which seems better?

I'd probably at Sneak Show. If these guys are to be believed (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-Turbo-Eldrazi), BUG is a rough matchup for Post because of wasteland and Liliana. I also think that Sneak Show is better against the other decks in the format by a healthy margin, which certainly isn't a trivial factor.

Dec 2010
    Beijing/Shenzhen

I got 2nd in a 23-players tournament today, actually split the prize with friend in the final. Here is what I met today:

Round one 2-0 vs ANT
    Round two 2-0 vs BUG Delver
    Round three 0-2 vs Elves ( lose to worldsplne wurm game 2)
    Round four 2-0 vs ANT
    Round fine 2-0 vs UW Blade Control

Top 8 2-0 vs BUG Delver

Top 4 2-0 vs Omnitel

Final 0-2 vs Foodchain Combo (really bad draw in both game...)

Game one against omnitel is really crazy...I show into Griselbrand on turn three, he let it resolve and put omniscience into play after some considerations. On his turn, he ponder first and tried to reslove Enter the Infinite. I fow, he fow back. I cast misdirection, he fow. I activated Griselbrand and fow, he fow back! I was crazy and draw extra seven and I found two fow in a row...I then fow again, he cast Pact of Negation, I cast my last fow to counter his Enter the Infinite, he scooped...

Griselbrand is really crazy...
    Team Blood, Beijing.
    Currently play: Sneaky Show/ Lands

Cheez
    Nov 2011
    Rockville, MD

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinZ View Post
    I got 2nd in a 23-players tournament today, actually split the prize with friend in the final. Here is what I met today:

Round one 2-0 vs ANT
    Round two 2-0 vs BUG Delver
    Round three 0-2 vs Elves ( lose to worldsplne wurm game 2)
    Round four 2-0 vs ANT
    Round fine 2-0 vs UW Blade Control

Top 8 2-0 vs BUG Delver

Top 4 2-0 vs Omnitel

Final 0-2 vs Foodchain Combo (really bad draw in both game...)

Game one against omnitel is really crazy...I show into Griselbrand on turn three, he let it resolve and put omniscience into play after some considerations. On his turn, he ponder first and tried to reslove Enter the Infinite. I fow, he fow back. I cast misdirection, he fow. I activated Griselbrand and fow, he fow back! I was crazy and draw extra seven and I found two fow in a row...I then fow again, he cast Pact of Negation, I cast my last fow to counter his Enter the Infinite, he scooped...

Griselbrand is really crazy...
    Youre extremely lucky that it turned out like this.
    2015 SCG Washington D.C. IQ Legacy Champion - 1st place w/ Sneak and Show

Follow me on http://www.twitch.tv/dcosiem/ for Legacy on Cockatrice.

If you want to play me on Cockatrice, add me as dcosiem.

Dec 2010
    Beijing/Shenzhen

Quote Originally Posted by dcosiem View Post
    Youre extremely lucky that it turned out like this.
    Yeah, definitely quite lucky, I did not expect he had so many counters... Game two I board 2 show and tell out anyway..
    Team Blood, Beijing.

Cheez
    Nov 2011
    Rockville, MD

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinZ View Post
    Yeah, definitely quite lucky, I did not expect he had so many counters... Game two I board 2 show and tell out anyway..
    The one great thing about this deck because it's so ridiculously powerful that even if you fuck up, this deck will forgive you. : P This is good for beginners at least right away.

What's everyone's sideboard look's like? I need some suggestions. I need 2 cards. I have:

2 Grafdiggers's Cage
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Blood Moon
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Through the Breach
    1 Wipe Away
    2 Pyroclasm

I honestly would run a 3rd pyroclasm. You really want to hit that in your DnT match up. You could also run a Boseiju.
    Using Tapatalk

I've had this deck for a while, but never really played it since I usually prefer playing control. However, I've decided to dust it off to play at a few weeklies every now and then. The main problem I'm having is that the local meta is basically infested with dnt--literally 1/2 the players that show up are usually piloting that deck. I know if I wanted to win more consistently, I should switch to a different deck, but I personally prefer to just try and construct a board to play through them (largely without super specific hate cards like sulfur elemental or anarchy).

This is where I'm currently at

Creatures (8)
    4x Emrakul
    4x Griselbrand

Spells (29)
    2x Sensei's Divining Top
    3x Fire//Ice
    4x Force of Will
    2x Flusterstorm
    2x Spell Pierce
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Ponder
    4x Show and Tell
    4x Sneak Attack

Mana (23)
    4x Scalding Tarn
    4x Misty Rainforest
    3x Island
    1x Mountain
    3x Volcanic Island
    2x Ancient Tomb
    2x City of Traitors
    3x Lotus Petal

SB:
    3x Engineered Explosives
    3x Pithing Needle
    2x Blood Moon
    2x Grafdigger's Cage
    2x Through the Breach
    2x Vendilion Clique
    1x Wipe Away

The main questions I have are:
    1) Have any of you tried the 20 land, 3 petal configuration rather than 19 land, 4 petal? How do you feel about it--is the added consistency of land worth the loss of explosive power
    2) Have cages been enough to deal with elves/dredge/reanimator? They seem like a very niche card and the spaces could be used for something more worthwhile.
    3) How do you board vs dnt? Given my heavy removal suite, I've been doing: -2 Sneak Attack, -4 Fow, -2 Spell Pierce, -2 Flusterstorm; +2 TTB, +2 Blood Moon, +3 Pithing Needle, +3 Engineered Explosives. EE has performed far better than clasm vs dnt in my experience--it gets to dodge their active mom, which pyroclasm has a lot of trouble dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by dcosiem View Post
    The one great thing about this deck because it's so ridiculously powerful that even if you fuck up, this deck will forgive you. : P This is good for beginners at least right away.

What's everyone's sideboard look's like? I need some suggestions. I need 2 cards. I have:

2 Grafdiggers's Cage
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Blood Moon
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Through the Breach
    1 Wipe Away
    2 Pyroclasm
    I completely agree. It just topdecks so well. I've never played another deck that felt as broken as this one. I wish I could find a way to make this into a vintage deck. As far as more cards for your sideboard, I would look at a 3rd cage or 3rd blood moon. I also like shattering spree for artifact hate.

Dec 2010
    Beijing/Shenzhen

Quote Originally Posted by somethingdotdotdot View Post

The main questions I have are:
    1) Have any of you tried the 20 land, 3 petal configuration rather than 19 land, 4 petal? How do you feel about it--is the added consistency of land worth the loss of explosive power
    2) Have cages been enough to deal with elves/dredge/reanimator? They seem like a very niche card and the spaces could be used for something more worthwhile.
    3) How do you board vs dnt? Given my heavy removal suite, I've been doing: -2 Sneak Attack, -4 Fow, -2 Spell Pierce, -2 Flusterstorm; +2 TTB, +2 Blood Moon, +3 Pithing Needle, +3 Engineered Explosives. EE has performed far better than clasm vs dnt in my experience--it gets to dodge their active mom, which pyroclasm has a lot of trouble dealing with.
    1. If your meta is infested with DNT, petal is good against Thalia.
    3. I don't like cutting sneak attack here. I personally run 1 Elesh Norn and 1 Massacre Wurm, and board out two griselbrand against DNT.

@Juice11 I think this deck already has a vintage version, see BOM list.
    Team Blood, Beijing.

Cheez
    Nov 2011
    Rockville, MD

the stock 51 + 4 spell pierce, 4 probe, and 1 intuition

4 pierces have been great, though I can definitely see having the 3-1 pierce/misdirection split. Intuition has been good to excellent every time i drew it. there were multiple games where I used it to assemble to combo, other times, I use it to grab a sol land or fow for protection, yes, demonic tutor is still good at 3 mana.

the probes are the only slots I'm not sure on. I personally love to have information when playing a combo deck and so I have been happy with 4, but if the plan is to not lose to D&T, then i can see jamming 2-3 fire/ice instead. Preordain is another candidate to replace some number of probes with. They seems a bit unnecessary, but it never hurts to be more consistent. Probe vs preordain is essentially speed vs consistency.
    Holy shit. Im not the only one who has these same line of thoughts. I play the 3 spell pierce/1 misdirect instead of 4. The misdiect has one me a good game against miracles. I love intuition so much that i play 2 because 1 is not enough to ever draw it. Ive tested preordain over probe. It definitly makes the deck more consistent. But in same cases information makes the game of magic a lot easier for you. With all these ideas of firce and ice. I got a new idea. What if we sided board grove and punishing fire combo? Sweet huh?

Thread Information