Page 33 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Sneak and Show

Oct 2013
    Berlin

Re: [Deck] Sneak and Show

Quote Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    Won the Modern 5K Premier IQ on Sunday, though. Modern seems much more fun than Legacy right now.
    Well done, my friend, but please don't jump on that wagon...
    TEAM MtG Berlin

"Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    So dismissive.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    This thread is great. I've been able to save so much money on seasoning! Whenever I'm eating something bland, I just wander over here to borrow some of the infinite salt.

Hi all new to the forum and this archetype on a whole. Feel like this deck has fallen WAYYY too far out of favor since the Treasure Cruise era... DTT is good, but so is killing them on turn 2. Is my assessment correct that the increase in Cabal Therapy as a whole is causing this deck to get pushed out in favor of Omni tell? If so what is the best sideboard plan to deal with the Cabal Therapy decks, particularly Grixis Delver/Pyromancer.

Sep 2011

Somewhat on topic, since it involves SneakShow and its performance in a game:

I was just browsing through old Legacy videos to study some matchups and noticed this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0gS6i_mtxU
    Last edited by FTW; 08-15-2015 at 10:40 AM.

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Somewhat on topic, since it involves SneakShow and its performance in a game:

I was just browsing through old Legacy videos to study some matchups and noticed this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0gS6i_mtxU

Chris Vanmeter, perhaps accidentally, perhaps pulling an Alex "Two Explores" Berto-cheaty, plays 2 lands in one turn during Round 5 in the 4-0 bracket vs Feline at SCG Providence last year. On an SCG camera. Feline doesn't notice. Cedrick and Patrick don't notice. Apparently no one else noticed during the event, because he went on to top 8 and finish 5th. But it's recorded on camera!!

Basically, he plays a Volcanic for the turn, Brainstorms, tanks for 2 minutes, hesitates about which cards to put back, and then after everyone has stopped paying attention out of boredom he innocently drops a Flooded Strand (approx 6:43). Cheating? Innocent mistake? It's possible he just forgot after tanking for so long. But tanking that long on a Brainstorm is also a great way to try to sneak through an extra land. Hard to say. It's also shocking he wouldn't have quickly realized he had too many lands, since he then has 5 lands to Feline's 3 and no one missed a land drop (High Tide certainly isn't going to miss a land drop when it still has cantrips in hand..). Either way, this sort of thing should not be allowed to happen without repercussions. It may have swung the match, since game 1 ended up being about having enough mana to win a counter war and beating Flusterstorm math.

Sketchy?? Did any regular Sneak Show players notice this earlier?
    You've embarrassed yourself. Watch the situation again and you'll notice that he plays Volcanic, passes the turn, Feline draws, passes quickly, CVM draws BS for the turn and then he plays Strand as the only land for this turn.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by CabalTherapy View Post
    You've embarrassed yourself. Watch the situation again and you'll notice that he plays Volcanic, passes the turn, Feline draws, passes quickly, CVM draws BS for the turn and then he plays Strand as the only land for this turn.
    Oh, Feline's draw is practically off camera and the announcers completely ignored her turn. Oops. Yes, thoroughly embarassed. Shouldn't post at 4 AM after drinking...

Oct 2011
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Mattincognito View Post
    Hi all new to the forum and this archetype on a whole. Feel like this deck has fallen WAYYY too far out of favor since the Treasure Cruise era... DTT is good, but so is killing them on turn 2. Is my assessment correct that the increase in Cabal Therapy as a whole is causing this deck to get pushed out in favor of Omni tell? If so what is the best sideboard plan to deal with the Cabal Therapy decks, particularly Grixis Delver/Pyromancer.
    Cabal Therapy hits Omnitell harder than Sneak&Show, even though they play more cantrips, they have to find a 3-card-combo and only have 4 enablers. The reason that Omnitell pushes Sneak&Show out lies in Omni's cantrip shell (4 Dig through Time) and smaller space of combo-cards, resulting in less dead draws and more consistency, as well as having an instant-kill most of the time and being immune to cards like Karakas.
    Sneak&Show still has more speed and raw power (8 enablers) and is largely unaffected by Omnitell hate-cards like Ethersworn Canonist, Trinisphere or Meddling Mage (which is annoying, but doesn't have to be removed in order to win).

A good sideboard plan against Cabal Therapy based Pyromancer-decks probably involves Flusterstorm and Pyroclasm.

JPA93 (3-0)
    LEGACY PREMIER #8762338 ON 09/14/2015

DECKLIST STATS SAMPLE HAND
    SORT BY:

4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    4 Griselbrand

3 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder
    4 Show and Tell
    Instant (13)
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Dig Through Time
    4 Force of Will
    4 Spell Pierce
    Artifact (5)
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Sensei's Divining Top

4 Sneak Attack

3 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    3 Flooded Strand
    3 Island
    1 Mountain
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Volcanic Island

Sideboard (15)
    2 Blood Moon
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Pyroblast
    3 Pyroclasm
    2 Through the Breach
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Wipe Away

JPA how do you feel about 1 Sensei? good choice?

Oct 2011
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by kuroko16 View Post
    JPA how do you feel about 1 Sensei? good choice?
    I played this list in five Dailies, going 3-0, 1-2, 3-0, 3-0, 2-1. The list feels very good, the Top was awesome, 1 Dig seems just right. Top is basically a cheaper Dig that can't be red blasted.

I played this list in five Dailies, going 3-0, 1-2, 3-0, 3-0, 2-1. The list feels very good, the Top was awesome, 1 Dig seems just right. Top is basically a cheaper Dig that can't be red blasted.
    you think play sneak in this period is a good idea? i play omnitell but today there are too much hate. sometimes its frustrating when people side-in 12 cards against your deck.

Oct 2011
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by kuroko16 View Post
    you think play sneak in this period is a good idea? i play omnitell but today there are too much hate. sometimes its frustrating when people side-in 12 cards against your deck.
    I'm not sure it's a good idea, I just can't let the deck go.

It might help that Containment Priests get replaced with Ethersworn Canonists and that there's a general rise of Omnitell-specific hate-cards such as Trinisphere that are largely irrelevant for Sneak&Show.

And please let's not turn that into another Omni vs Sneak discussion; we've had too many of those. It's pretty obvious that Omnitell is the objectively better deck right now, but there are still some advantages Sneak&Show has.

Oct 2011
    Berlin, Germany

Rejoice, brothers and sisters.

Quote Originally Posted by jpa View Post
    rejoice, brothers and sisters.
    hell yeah!!!!

I've been bouncing around some other decks since DTT showed up, it feels really nice knowing I get to revisit this old friend :)

I might have to go pickup a top or two now (just recently sold mine off ironically) to try out in the list.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I used to run 1-2 Tops back about 2 years ago and they work great. I think there's even a feature match that showed it back in Jan 2013. It's essentially cantrip #9-10. I haven't played a list with Gitaxian Probe yet, so these might work better and more protection vs the incoming discard / Counterbalance.

As for the maindeck today, I'm running 2 Fire/Ice to deal with hate bears and flood of Karakas. It's probably going to double up as finishing opponents off after a single Emrakul hit on occasion.

As for the Sideboard, I'm thinking about this 15. Thoughts?

2 Pyroclasm
    3 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Wipe Away
    2 Through the Breach
    2 REB
    1 Jace TMS
    1 Keranos, God of Storms
    2 Defense Grid (little spotty on this)**

* Maybe run 1 Flustersorm and 2nd Jace.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

The Voice of Reason
    Nov 2004
    Chicago

Sensei's Divining Top is still really good in this deck, and helps you overcome mulligans. Card quality is usually more important than card quantity in this deck, as your spells are so powerful.

Blood Moon will be your friend in this deck moving forward in the updated (ie. rewound) Legacy metagame. Don't leave home without it.
    Find me on Twitter at @JMJACO and @EternalCentral. If you have an interest in Vintage Eldrazi, check out my book Eldrazi Meditations.

Oct 2011
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    I used to run 1-2 Tops back about 2 years ago and they work great. I think there's even a feature match that showed it back in Jan 2013. It's essentially cantrip #9-10. I haven't played a list with Gitaxian Probe yet, so these might work better and more protection vs the incoming discard / Counterbalance.

As for the maindeck today, I'm running 2 Fire/Ice to deal with hate bears and flood of Karakas. It's probably going to double up as finishing opponents off after a single Emrakul hit on occasion.

As for the Sideboard, I'm thinking about this 15. Thoughts?
    I'm not sure if I'll have room for Top in my new list, since now that Dig is banned, Intuition and Misdirection will definitely make a comeback.

I really liked Fire // Ice at GPNJ, it was a meta call for UR Delver, buying a ton of time. Hate bears usually come from sideboards, so I wouldn't necessarily run main deck Fire // Ice, and rather play more Pyroclasms. Keep the main deck as streamlined as possible.

Also, as Jaco said, Blood Moon is one of our strongest sideboard bombs and I'd definitely add them to yours. Maybe cut 1 Grafdigger's Cage (I think 2 is the right number, you rarely want to have them in multiples) and 1 Wipe Away for 2 Blood Moon?

Keranos is interesting, in which matchups would you bring him in?

I'm not sure if I'll have room for Top in my new list, since now that Dig is banned, Intuition and Misdirection will definitely make a comeback.

I really liked Fire // Ice at GPNJ, it was a meta call for UR Delver, buying a ton of time. Hate bears usually come from sideboards, so I wouldn't necessarily run main deck Fire // Ice, and rather play more Pyroclasms. Keep the main deck as streamlined as possible.

Also, as Jaco said, Blood Moon is one of our strongest sideboard bombs and I'd definitely add them to yours. Maybe cut 1 Grafdigger's Cage (I think 2 is the right number, you rarely want to have them in multiples) and 1 Wipe Away for 2 Blood Moon?

JPA, hows the updated list looking?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I'm thinking vs mid-range decks with heavy disruption (discard or heavy counter), and anything that tries to Surgical into an advantage spot by taking out Sneak or Show & Tell. Basically, a supplement to Jace and providing an additional "threat" that's both castable and buys time.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Oct 2011
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by i_b_TRUE View Post
    JPA, hows the updated list looking?
    I'll have to wait for the B&R update to be implemented on MTGO to do thorough testing and see how the meta develops in general. I'll post an updated list either between SCGSTL and GP Seattle or after the GP.

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    I'm thinking vs mid-range decks with heavy disruption (discard or heavy counter), and anything that tries to Surgical into an advantage spot by taking out Sneak or Show & Tell. Basically, a supplement to Jace and providing an additional "threat" that's both castable and buys time.
    I would rather just add another Through the Breach for more threat density. And I don't like the fact that Keranos gets countered by literally every counterspell except Flusterstorm. Still, I do see the merit of having an alternate, non-combat-dependent, win-condition in grindy matchups, so I might test him as a 1-of.

Jan 2015
    Portland, OR

Excited to see this deck make its way back to the top. I will be testing out various lists in preparation for GP Seattle. I would love to see all suggestions for the flex slots. Right now I am running 1x Top and 1x Blood Moon in the main, but am thinking about -1 Top, +1 JTMS. Maybe an Omniscience. Open to suggestions!

Thread Information