Page 64 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465666768 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1397

Thread: [Deck] Sneak and Show

Re: [Deck] Sneak and Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kobained View Post
    Those are all in my sideboard already. I want cards that aren't on it, or general tips. I always board 2 or 3 defense grid and 2 pyroclasm against them and still no luck. But thanks anyway.
    Maybe add some Red Blasts which can kill a Delver too? As Anvil of Crom suggested i could imagine Lavamancer gives Delver a headache if he can't handle it. You could give it a try over pyroclasm.

What is your boarding plan in general ? 2-3 Defense Grid and 2 Pyroclasm ? Thats it ? What do you take out ?

Add a basic mountatin against Wasteland and fetch basic lands if you can (if you don't already do...).
    If you are not under much pressure it may help to delay the game, deploy lands and play around Spell Pierce and Daze.
    You could add some Misdirections or Diverts as additional Fow package and against Discard (Misdirecting Hymn is fun)
    Current Legacy decks:

Turbo Nemesis
    Sneak and Show
    Reanimator
    Tin Fins
    GW Enchantress

I'll third the suggestion of Grim Lavamancer against delver decks. A lot of Delver players will take out all or most of their removal for small creatures which makes it easy for Lavamancer to go unchallenged, and the threats he cant kill, like TNN, are the threats most likely to be sided out. Lavamancer also provides some insulation against Diabolic Edict which is so popular these days.

You could also also consider a Boseiju in the board and bring it in to go up to 20 land against Delver. It's not as good in regular SnS as it is in the versions that have stuff like cunning wish but since you have Through the Breach in the board it's a fine enough card to warrant consideration.
    From nothing came teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I really don't know why you're complaining about top being banned since you seem to be very good at Soothsaying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobained View Post
    Hello all,

I've been getting good results with Sneak&Show against all decks (even D&T and Eldrazi) except for delver decks and 4c leovold. I only beat them like 10% of the times. Specially with delver decks.

I usually win the first game, but the real problem are the post board games, when they board 500 cheap counterspells (flusterstorm, blasts, etc) and surgicals.

My list is equal to this one: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=17492&d=308329&f=LE
    Except for the 2 omnisciences: instead I run an extra flusterstorm and a main board pyroclasm.

Is there any silver bullet against these decks? Because I'd gladly put 4 of those in my sideboard. It's that frustrating.

(I've been experimenting with chalice of the void against delver (desperate I know), and it kinda works sometimes, though not always).

Or any other tips would also appreciate.
    So there is no real silver bullets vs grixis delver... Just board and hope they do not have it... I read an article around the interwebz about a sns player that got 14th at eternal weekend.... He was on a basic list similar to the one you posted... How he boarded vs grixis delver was

2 blood moon
    2 d grid
    2 pyroclasm
    1 abrade

... I did this plan in my last tournament and it does work most of the time.. But if they have it.. They have it... Delver is our worst match up sometimes you have to just go fir it knowing its bad... Just stick to your ganeplan and make them answer you if they can not... They lose point blank... My advice playing against grixis delver... Go for it... Every time do got give them too much set up time.. Not the best but not the worst strat ... Also hate leyline officially now... Not worth the slots for paper metal... Reasonable for online meta

Quote Originally Posted by AnvilOfCrom View Post
    Against Delver Decks i like to board in Grim Lavamancer. He can buy you a lot of time, since you can kill all of their creauters except for TNN. And they usually board out Lighting Bolts in favor of more counters.
    Thought about that, too. Never done too often, though. Will definitely try from now on. Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Eigo View Post
    Maybe add some Red Blasts which can kill a Delver too? As Anvil of Crom suggested i could imagine Lavamancer gives Delver a headache if he can't handle it. You could give it a try over pyroclasm.

What is your boarding plan in general ? 2-3 Defense Grid and 2 Pyroclasm ? Thats it ? What do you take out ?

Add a basic mountatin against Wasteland and fetch basic lands if you can (if you don't already do...).
    If you are not under much pressure it may help to delay the game, deploy lands and play around Spell Pierce and Daze.
    You could add some Misdirections or Diverts as additional Fow package and against Discard (Misdirecting Hymn is fun)
    Yep. 3 grid and 1 clasm (I play 1 clasm mainboard, so it makes 2) . Take out 2 spell Pierce and 2 preordain.
    I already do all those tips, yes. Except for misdirection and divert, and I don't think I'll do that because it's too bold and I generally can play around discard spells with brainstorm and having 16 combo pieces, what really, really messes me up is counter magic.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemeron View Post
    I'll third the suggestion of Grim Lavamancer against delver decks. A lot of Delver players will take out all or most of their removal for small creatures which makes it easy for Lavamancer to go unchallenged, and the threats he cant kill, like TNN, are the threats most likely to be sided out. Lavamancer also provides some insulation against Diabolic Edict which is so popular these days.

You could also also consider a Boseiju in the board and bring it in to go up to 20 land against Delver. It's not as good in regular SnS as it is in the versions that have stuff like cunning wish but since you have Through the Breach in the board it's a fine enough card to warrant consideration.
    Thanks, will definitely try the lavamancer and boseiju!

Quote Originally Posted by Warbeast View Post
    So there is no real silver bullets vs grixis delver... Just board and hope they do not have it... I read an article around the interwebz about a sns player that got 14th at eternal weekend.... He was on a basic list similar to the one you posted... How he boarded vs grixis delver was

2 blood moon
    2 d grid
    2 pyroclasm
    1 abrade

... I did this plan in my last tournament and it does work most of the time.. But if they have it.. They have it... Delver is our worst match up sometimes you have to just go fir it knowing its bad... Just stick to your ganeplan and make them answer you if they can not... They lose point blank... My advice playing against grixis delver... Go for it... Every time do got give them too much set up time.. Not the best but not the worst strat ... Also hate leyline officially now... Not worth the slots for paper metal... Reasonable for online meta
    Thanks, will definitely try that plan too!
    I know it's a bad matchup, but I'd like to at least have a decent "bad matchup" win rate, not the awful one that I currently have!

in this meta, discards spells are notably diminished in favor of the counterspell, what do you think of the eureka + show version at the moment?

JPA, what would be your deck list choice in this moment?

Thanks

Back to this deck after some months. Then i run sudden shock. Now there is abrade. Why does it Worth?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenCid View Post
    Back to this deck after some months. Then i run sudden shock. Now there is abrade. Why does it Worth?
    Sudden Shock is at it's best against Containment Priest, and due to the fact that there has been a recession in Miracles and R/B Reanimator, and the fact that the top two decks at the moment (Pile and Grixis Delver) don't play white, there hasn't been a lot of Containment Priest in the meta recently. Abrade is the more versatile card because it's basically the closest thing to Abrupt Decay this deck can run. Having something that can kill Leovold/Delver/Priest/Pithing Needle/Chalice/Ensnaring Bridge/etc is awesome and a tool this deck didn't really have previously.
    From nothing came teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I really don't know why you're complaining about top being banned since you seem to be very good at Soothsaying.

Feb 2015
    Germany

Is it still worth running Defense Grids in the SB? Against which decks are they really good? Counter heavy Decks like UW Control?

Lately i found it more useful having the full 4 Spell Pierce and 1-2 Flusterstorm since they are also useful against discard.

And +1 for Abrade

Hi there,

what do you think about replacing one Volcanic Island with a Bosejiu (for the hybrid variant with Omniscience+Cunning Wishboard and Sneak Attack)?

Thanks!

Regards,
    Daniel

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel89 View Post
    Hi there,

what do you think about replacing one Volcanic Island with a Bosejiu (for the hybrid variant with Omniscience+Cunning Wishboard and Sneak Attack)?

Thanks!

Regards,
    Daniel
    Unless your meta is totally dominated by counter-heavy, non-wasteland decks. In DTT era, omnitell and miracle were the 2 most popular decks, so we could see Boseiju in MD. Today? Not same…
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

Hello sneakers,

played at GP Singapore legacy side events the past weekend and went on to have a 3-1-1 & 4-1 finishes for the two days.

My list:
    51 business spells
    (with 4 ancient tombs & 2 islands only)
    3 simian spirit guide
    2 preordain
    2 spell pierce
    2 flusterstorm

SB:
    3 Grim lavamancer
    3 bloodmoon
    4 leyline of santity
    1 pyroclasm
    1 echoing truth
    1 wipe away
    1 gradigger's cage
    1 thru the bridge

I catered the SSG mainboard to play around daze as Grixis delver was pretty rampant in Singapore and as a mana source since Sneak show is also one of the slower combo decks. Grim lavaqmancer is also a good hedge against diabolic edict effects and can take out those pesky deathrites/young pyromancer/delvers/infect creatures.

Saturday (3-1-1)

Round 1 - Grixis delver (1-0)
    I won the die roll and had 2 show and tell (SnT) with griselbrand, a SSG and a island and ancient tomb.* Resolved 1st SnT on turn 2 with SSG as opponent tried to daze my SnT. Grisy met with a far/away the next turn but i followed up with a sneaked attack emrakul. Game 2, opponent opened with a deathrite and i had a lavamancer, i was wastelanded next. We durdled a bit and i killed the deathrite in 3rd turn. My first Snt was spell pierced but i followed up with a sneak attack after some cantripping. SSG was immense again as it tanked a daze after i forced back opponent's FoW. Opponent has no choice but to far/away my lavanmancer and i sneaked in an emrakul for the win.

Round 2 - Mono Black Pox (2-0)
    Opponent opened with a thoughtseize to take out my only brainstorm and proceed to sinkhole my 2 basic island and wastelanded my ancient tomb while in between i had to take damage from bloodghast.* By the time i landed a griselbrand i was down to 6 life and he edict it with lily. Game 2, i had a turn 1 SnT emrakul but with no Force of will back up. I decided to go for it even though emrakul could met with an innocent blood or small pox and i was lucky he didnt had that. Turn 3, opponent mulled to 5 and I had leyline of sanctity in play, i proceed to win pretty smoothly from there.

Round 3 - Jund (2-1)
    Played with a fellow friend who knew how to play against me even though it is a decent matchup for me. Opponent played a thoughtseize-hymn-tamogofy-Bloodbraid elves play in his respective 4 turns whereas i was land and mana flooded with lands/Petals/SSG . Game two i had a first turn SnT Emrakul which seals an auto win unless opponent plays a diabolic edict which he didnt have in his sideboard. Game 3 i was delibrating whether to side out the 3 bloodmoons for the 4 leyline of santity which i did as bloodmoons was a bit slow on the draw. I didnt side in lavamancers in this matchup as i go all in to resolve the combo asap as Jund had a frightening fast clock with surgical extraction sideboard.* I mulligan to six as i had no land in opening 7 and kept a suspcious hand with 1 leyline 1 island 1 SSG 1 FoW 1 Sneak attack and 1 preordain. Opponent had a superfast clock with deathrite, 2 gofys and a bloodbraid elves. i missed a land drop and have to cast a open sneak attack with no red source on turn 3 which was met with a maelstorm pulse and my tomb was wastelanded.

Round 4 - Burn (3-1)
    Opponent had a very fast clock and i was down to 4 life by end of 3rd turn. i drew a SnT on my 4th turn but was too late as i had an ancient tomb and was facing an eidolon of the great reveal.* Game 2 i had a turn 3 SnT with the help of a SSG (I only had 2 lands) for a griselbrand althought i was aware that opponent might have an ensnaring bridge or a vortex but i have to risk it even thought i sided in a echoing truth and a wipe away. Turned out i ride the grisly to victory. Game 3 I had a Leyline and it was a comfortable victory via Sneak attack. I just had to be wary to counter ensnaring bridge and use thru the bridge/sneak attack instead of SnT route.

Round 5* - LED dredge ID (3-1-1)
    Paired against Jason Leeper who was a prominent dredge player in the States. We decided to split as the points were equal in the side event system and play it out casually. Game 1 Jason had a 1st turn breakthrough and a fast clock and managed to cabal therapy away my combo pieces by turn 2 and finish me off with the walking deads in 4 turns. I decided to only side in grafdigger's cage/pyroclasm/echoing truth without the lavamancers for a fast combo. My sideboards didnt came out I had a sneak attack by turn 3 but was staring at 8 zombies and a ichorid. I topdecked a griselbrand and drew 14 cards, brainstormed and pondered in desperation for my emrakul but it didnt came out and i lost in following turn. On hindsight i should have sequenced 2 griselbrand triggers, ponder and brainstorm to maximise out the search for emrakul instead of cantripping first before the grisey triggers.

Overall It was an enjoyable event with some slight misplays and keeping shaky hands. I find that SSG and Grim lavamancer was a good metacall and helped immensely for speed and playing around opponent dazes although there is a slight tendency to flood out with mana sources. Sideboarding was pretty tricky between deciding to play safer by boarding more pieces at the expense of diluting the combos or risking all with little or not sideboard, especially more with the added element of SSG. I was pretty reluctant to side out preordain and had to keep SSG at some games and probably could have sided out SSG and kepg preordains to prevent flooding. lol but it is a good experience and will learn along the way!

Let me know how would your have approach my matchups and your feedback for my sideboard. thanks!
    Sunday report to follow shortly.

I kept the same list for the Sunday GP Singapore side event and met up with 3 Chandra Stompy players!

Saturday (4-1)

Round 1 - Chandra Stompy (1-0)
    Opponent was a local player so i knew beforehand which deck he normally plays. I was on the draw with no cantrip but could have a turn 3 sneak attack with SSG and a Force backup with a griselbrand. Opponent casted chalice for one which i reckon was ok to let it resolve. He followed up with a turn 2 scoress spyglass which i had to force it and resolved an ensnaring bridge. I was about to scope when i realised that i still had an near impossible win with SSG beatdown. I trigger griselbrand for 14 cards and found my remaining 2 SSG and 3 force of will. The 2 SSG really went all the way (though one was blocked with opponent Magnus of the moon)! Opponent casted multiple trinspheres, chalice at 0 and chrome mox to try bringing his hand size to one but he was also facing mana issues. I managed to force his 2 rolling earthquake and 1 koth of the hammer along the way and ended up with 1 life after about 10 turns. At one point, I was so desperate that i dicarded emrakul just to hope to reuse my SSG and Force of will by topdecking them since my cantrips was countered by chalice at one. Game 2 was equally interesting. i kept a non cantrip hand after siding out preordains but a turn 3 sneak attack hand. Opponent resolved a chalice at one and i forced away a ensnaring bridge in turn 2 exiling SnT. Koth of the hammer was in turn 3* but i sneaked in emrakul the following turn. However i proceed to flood out with lands and petals for the next 4-5 turns whereas my opponent rebuilded back with sol lands and chalices. He also resolved a spyglass targetting my sneak attack. I drew a force of will with a useless cantrip subsequently and patiently try to counter either a koth or a ensnaring bridge. Opponent proceed to fiery confluence me twice bring my life to 3. Finally i topdeck a through the bridge and swing in with Griselbrand for lethal. it was really a hard earned and epic win!

Round 2 - Infect (2-0)
    I kept a decent hand with counters, cantrips, creatures and lands lacking only a enabler. The crucial decision making was at my turn 3 where i had taken 6 posion counters with opponent having 4 cards with 1 open mana. I had 6 mana (2 Ancient tomb, 1 volcanic island and a petal) I was delibrating between risking* casting sneak attack and enable emrakul with only one force backup without any mana left for my flusterstorm or holding back sneak attack with a force and flusterstorm to counter his threats next turn. I decided to risk it as i reckon it was hard to counter opponent's 5 cards with only two counters as all he has to do is to resolve one pump spell. My Sneak attack first met with a daze which i promptly pay with my ancient tomb mana, opponent then tapped out with a brainstorm in response, i forced his brainstorm hopping that he has no more force of wills or dazes. Phew! Sneak attack resolved and i cracked my final mana source from petal for emrakul. Opponent revealed that he had 2 pump spells, a daze and a brainstorm in his 4 cards. Game 2, opponent thoughseize me (he splashed black for discard) and took out my Bloodmoon. He was slowly ticking the infect counters while I only had a echoing truth with no enablers and cantripps. I proceed with landflooding and at one time was only having lands and griselbrand in my hand after echoing truthed his 2 blightened Agent.* Opponent was too careful to holdup his pump spells as he perceived that i was holding up counterspells. I was lucky to ponder for a wipe away just before he decided to go off the next turn. his 2 invigorate on the agent was met with a wipe away. i then proceed to SnT griselbrand and pyroclasm his creatures to victory.

Round 3 - RUG Delver(2-1)
    I paired with my playgroup who was reowned as RUG King in the Singapore legacy scene. I lost two games pretty quickly but was able to win both counter wars with a resolved sneak attack but didnt cantrip or drew to any creatures. I sided out the 2preodains,a lotus petal,a emrakul and a fetched land for 3 bloodmoons, a echoing truth and a wipeaway. SSG was pretty good in tanking daze and my friend was pretty surpised by the secret tech as prior to that i was playing omniscience in the flexible slot. He went on to 5-0 for the event. On hindsight , I probably shouldn't side out the emrakul

Round 4 - Dragon Stompy. (3-1)
    I was on the draw and kept a one lander but with 3 cantrips, a pierce, a Force and SnT.* I forced away a first turn chalice and spell pierced a ensnaring bridge. I then managed to sneaked in grisy and emmy after cantripping. SSG was again immense in making sneak attack resolve one turn earlier. Game 2 I had a very good hand which i can resolve a sneak attack with griselbrand by turn3 and had 2 forces to counter his spyglass and Chandra torch of defiance.

Round 5 - Dragon Stompy (4-1)
    I was paired with another stompy player from New Zealand who had earlier played out a mirror match with my previous opponent. Apparently they decided to prey upon those greedy mana based deck which they did in their earlier matchups. Both of us mulligan to 6. I was on the play and kept a one lander with a petal but with 3 SnT and a emrakul. I pondered to find a second land but couldnt. Opponent casted a 1st turn trinsphere. I top decked a SSG and reckon that i have to risk Show and tell a Emrakul since I dont have a land source and opponent could lock up my petal the next turn.* I took the plunge and was lucky that he revealed a land. Game 2, Opponent resolved a turn 1 trinsphere and a turn 2 chalice at 1. i had 2 ancient tombs and a volcanic island by turn 3 but i didnt cast a sneak attack as i cannot activated emmy in the same turn and I could pay 3 mana to force out his next threat before topdecking another land. it almost cost me the game as he casted magnus of the moon to reduce my mana to 3. i* top deck a SSG to cast sneak attack the next turn and pray that he didnt have a spyglass as i dont have mana to force it. Luckily he didnt have it and i activated the grisel, emmy and lavamancer for the win.

I probably take out a petal for another preordain maindeck as i experienced quite a bit of mana flooding mainboard and keeping in some preodrains after sideboard for some smoother draws as i experienced a lack of cantrips after sideoarding. Turn 1 or 2 SnT and turn 3 sneak attack came up pretty often with the 3SSG and 4 ancient tomb builds though was risky. Maybe i should put in some gitaxian probes going forward?

Thanks for reading. All feedback welcome!

What is your full list Tee?

And congrats with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Xod View Post
    What is your full list Tee?

And congrats with the results.
    4 Show and Tell
    4 Sneak Attack
    4 Emrakul
    4 Griselbrand
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Force Of Will
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Simian Spirit Guide
    2 Preordain
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Flusterstorm

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City Of Traitors
    2 Island
    1 Mountain
    4 Scarning Tarn
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Volcanic Island

I played more fetched lands due to sideboard Grim Lavamancer and the ocassional turn 1 bloodmoon. Maybe 3 Island would have been more stable.

The sideboard changes that i did in the GP Big Tix Legacy side event were:
    Some reflections

Grixis Delver
    On the Draw
    + 3 Grim Lavamancer
    + 1 Pyroclasm
    + 1 Echoing Truth
    - 2 Preordain
    - 1 Emrakul
    - 1 Lotus Petal
    - 1 Force of Will ( Card disadvantage and 1 need the pierce/flusterstorm to protect against cabal therapy

I did'nt side in the 3 Bloodmoons on the draw as they are too slow if it doesnt come out in first few turns but I prob would side them in on the play.

Pox
    On the Play
    + 4 Leyline of Santity
    + 1 Echoing Truth
    + 1 Wipe Away
    + 1 Through the Bridge
    - 2 Preordain
    - 1 Mountain
    - 3 SSG
    - 1 Flusterstorm

On the Draw
    - 1 Wipe away
    + 1 Flusterstorm

I sided in the wipe away in case opponent plays an ensnaring bridge post board which could be unlikely as he was playing multiple bloodghast. Took it away in game 3 for the flusterstorm to fight discard if i didnt have the leyline. I am not sure whether i could have sided in 2 grim lavamancers but reckon they were poor against lily and the multiple pox and edict effects.

Burn
    On the Play

+ 4 Leyline of Santity
    + 1 echoing truth
    + 1 Wipe away
    -* 1 Ancient tomb
    -* 2 Preordain
    -* 2 Lotus Petal
    -* 1 Emrakul

On the Draw
    + 1 thru the bridge
    -* 1 Force of Will

I sided out 1 Ancient tomb as i was playing 4 mainboard and it pretty much hurts against burn. I need the bounce against Ensnaring bridge and sulfuric vortex. Kept the SSG instead of Lotus Petal in the narrow case that i took 2 damage from eidolon. Sided out 1 FoW on the draw as i wanted to race them by adding thru the bridge. Not sure whether that was correct.

Punishing Jund
    On the play
    + 3 blood moon
    + 1 echoing truth
    + 1 Wipe away
    + 1 Thru thr bridge
    + 1 Pyroclasm
    -* 3 SSG
    -* 2 Preordain
    -* 1 Force of Will
    -* 1 Lotus Petal

On the Draw
    - 3 blood moon
    + 4 Leyline of Santity
    - 1 Force of Will

Probably a lot of questionable sideboard here. i sided in the bounce spells in anticipation of choke and pithing needles on my sneak attack.** I was thinking very hard about whether i should side in the grim lavamancers as it can take out deathrites, Bob and bloodbraid elves. On hindsight, probably i could side in some on the draw to buy some time time. I sided out 2 force of will on the draw as it was card disadvantage against Jund. My opponent gave me his feedback that he will side out all 4 force of will and bring in the preordains to go all in on the combo on the draw, in which could be the better play.

Mana Dredge
    On the Play

+ 1 Grafdigger' cage
    + 1 echoing truth
    + 2 Grim lavamancer
    + 1 Wipe away
    + 1 Pyroclasm

-* 2 Preordain
    -* 3 Lotus Petal
    -* 1 Sneak attack

I was probably being too conservative as I side in the lavamancers and kept the SSG to break opponent's Bridge from below. While that could be the plan on the draw, a better plan on the play would have been :

+ 1 Grafdigger's cage
    + 1 echoing truth
    + 1 pyroclasm
    -* 1 Mountain
    -* 1 Lotus Petal
    -* 1 FoW/mana source/preordain

so as to go for pure race and a fast sneak attack with preordain for consistency.

Chandra Stompy

On the draw
    + 1 Echoing Truth
    + 1 Wipe Away
    + 1 through the Bridge
    + 3 Grim lavamancers
    -* 2 flusterstorm
    -* 2 Lotus Petal
    -* 2 Preordain

I sided in the lavamancers only against the variant that has Sin prodder/Quicksmith rebel/ Goblin rabblemasters but not when i face the rolling earthquake versions. Priority is still on a quick sneak attack and Thru thr bridge.

Infect
    On the Draw

+ 1 Echoing Truth
    + 1 Wipe Away
    + 1 Pyroclasm
    + 3 Grim Lavamancer
    + 2 Blood moon

- 1 Sneak Attack
    - 1 Emrakul
    - 3 SSG
    - 1 Mountain
    - 2 Preordain

3 Bloodmoon was pretty excessive thus i play 2 (since the chance of turn 1 bloodmoon will be greatly diminished when SSG is sided out) to blank out Inkmoth nexus.

RUG Delver
    On the play

+ 3 Blood moon
    + 1 Wipe Away
    + 1 Echoing truth
    -* 1 Emrakul
    -* 1 Sneak attack
    -* 1 SSG
    -* 2 Preordain

Not sure whether it is a mistake to keep out Pyroclasm on the play since it couldnt hit mongoose when it reach threshold but probably irelevant as i am also facing tamogofy.* Emrakul should probably have been kept in.

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    I kept the same list for the Sunday GP Singapore side event and met up with 3 Chandra Stompy players!

Saturday (4-1)

Round 1 - Chandra Stompy (1-0)
    Opponent was a local player so i knew beforehand which deck he normally plays. I was on the draw with no cantrip but could have a turn 3 sneak attack with SSG and a Force backup with a griselbrand. Opponent casted chalice for one which i reckon was ok to let it resolve. He followed up with a turn 2 scoress spyglass which i had to force it and resolved an ensnaring bridge. I was about to scope when i realised that i still had an near impossible win with SSG beatdown. I trigger griselbrand for 14 cards and found my remaining 2 SSG and 3 force of will. The 2 SSG really went all the way (though one was blocked with opponent Magnus of the moon)! Opponent casted multiple trinspheres, chalice at 0 and chrome mox to try bringing his hand size to one but he was also facing mana issues. I managed to force his 2 rolling earthquake and 1 koth of the hammer along the way and ended up with 1 life after about 10 turns. At one point, I was so desperate that i dicarded emrakul just to hope to reuse my SSG and Force of will by topdecking them since my cantrips was countered by chalice at one. Game 2 was equally interesting. i kept a non cantrip hand after siding out preordains but a turn 3 sneak attack hand. Opponent resolved a chalice at one and i forced away a ensnaring bridge in turn 2 exiling SnT. Koth of the hammer was in turn 3* but i sneaked in emrakul the following turn. However i proceed to flood out with lands and petals for the next 4-5 turns whereas my opponent rebuilded back with sol lands and chalices. He also resolved a spyglass targetting my sneak attack. I drew a force of will with a useless cantrip subsequently and patiently try to counter either a koth or a ensnaring bridge. Opponent proceed to fiery confluence me twice bring my life to 3. Finally i topdeck a through the bridge and swing in with Griselbrand for lethal. it was really a hard earned and epic win!

Round 2 - Infect (2-0)
    I kept a decent hand with counters, cantrips, creatures and lands lacking only a enabler. The crucial decision making was at my turn 3 where i had taken 6 posion counters with opponent having 4 cards with 1 open mana. I had 6 mana (2 Ancient tomb, 1 volcanic island and a petal) I was delibrating between risking* casting sneak attack and enable emrakul with only one force backup without any mana left for my flusterstorm or holding back sneak attack with a force and flusterstorm to counter his threats next turn. I decided to risk it as i reckon it was hard to counter opponent's 5 cards with only two counters as all he has to do is to resolve one pump spell. My Sneak attack first met with a daze which i promptly pay with my ancient tomb mana, opponent then tapped out with a brainstorm in response, i forced his brainstorm hopping that he has no more force of wills or dazes. Phew! Sneak attack resolved and i cracked my final mana source from petal for emrakul. Opponent revealed that he had 2 pump spells, a daze and a brainstorm in his 4 cards. Game 2, opponent thoughseize me (he splashed black for discard) and took out my Bloodmoon. He was slowly ticking the infect counters while I only had a echoing truth with no enablers and cantripps. I proceed with landflooding and at one time was only having lands and griselbrand in my hand after echoing truthed his 2 blightened Agent.* Opponent was too careful to holdup his pump spells as he perceived that i was holding up counterspells. I was lucky to ponder for a wipe away just before he decided to go off the next turn. his 2 invigorate on the agent was met with a wipe away. i then proceed to SnT griselbrand and pyroclasm his creatures to victory.

Round 3 - RUG Delver(2-1)
    I paired with my playgroup who was reowned as RUG King in the Singapore legacy scene. I lost two games pretty quickly but was able to win both counter wars with a resolved sneak attack but didnt cantrip or drew to any creatures. I sided out the 2preodains,a lotus petal,a emrakul and a fetched land for 3 bloodmoons, a echoing truth and a wipeaway. SSG was pretty good in tanking daze and my friend was pretty surpised by the secret tech as prior to that i was playing omniscience in the flexible slot. He went on to 5-0 for the event. On hindsight , I probably shouldn't side out the emrakul

Round 4 - Dragon Stompy. (3-1)
    I was on the draw and kept a one lander but with 3 cantrips, a pierce, a Force and SnT.* I forced away a first turn chalice and spell pierced a ensnaring bridge. I then managed to sneaked in grisy and emmy after cantripping. SSG was again immense in making sneak attack resolve one turn earlier. Game 2 I had a very good hand which i can resolve a sneak attack with griselbrand by turn3 and had 2 forces to counter his spyglass and Chandra torch of defiance.

Round 5 - Dragon Stompy (4-1)
    I was paired with another stompy player from New Zealand who had earlier played out a mirror match with my previous opponent. Apparently they decided to prey upon those greedy mana based deck which they did in their earlier matchups. Both of us mulligan to 6. I was on the play and kept a one lander with a petal but with 3 SnT and a emrakul. I pondered to find a second land but couldnt. Opponent casted a 1st turn trinsphere. I top decked a SSG and reckon that i have to risk Show and tell a Emrakul since I dont have a land source and opponent could lock up my petal the next turn.* I took the plunge and was lucky that he revealed a land. Game 2, Opponent resolved a turn 1 trinsphere and a turn 2 chalice at 1. i had 2 ancient tombs and a volcanic island by turn 3 but i didnt cast a sneak attack as i cannot activated emmy in the same turn and I could pay 3 mana to force out his next threat before topdecking another land. it almost cost me the game as he casted magnus of the moon to reduce my mana to 3. i* top deck a SSG to cast sneak attack the next turn and pray that he didnt have a spyglass as i dont have mana to force it. Luckily he didnt have it and i activated the grisel, emmy and lavamancer for the win.

I probably take out a petal for another preordain maindeck as i experienced quite a bit of mana flooding mainboard and keeping in some preodrains after sideboard for some smoother draws as i experienced a lack of cantrips after sideoarding. Turn 1 or 2 SnT and turn 3 sneak attack came up pretty often with the 3SSG and 4 ancient tomb builds though was risky. Maybe i should put in some gitaxian probes going forward?

Thanks for reading. All feedback welcome!
    While 4C and other 3/3.5-color Blue decks popular now, we could see Red Stompy rising...but 3 of 5 opponents?

I think our deck has a singnificantly favorable matchup against Red Stompy, but also has some weak points. They have up to 4 Ensnaring bridges MD, so a "blind" show could often become suicide. Having answer like Abrade is awesome in this matchup.
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemeron View Post
    Sudden Shock is at it's best against Containment Priest, and due to the fact that there has been a recession in Miracles and R/B Reanimator, and the fact that the top two decks at the moment (Pile and Grixis Delver) don't play white, there hasn't been a lot of Containment Priest in the meta recently. Abrade is the more versatile card because it's basically the closest thing to Abrupt Decay this deck can run. Having something that can kill Leovold/Delver/Priest/Pithing Needle/Chalice/Ensnaring Bridge/etc is awesome and a tool this deck didn't really have previously.
    Thx! I have recently gotten my foil japanese abrade. Let's test it!

went 4-0 at a local event last night with the omniscienc, cunning wish version (am I the only one still playing it?)
    Beat eldrazi 2-1, lands 2-1, affinity 2-0, and the mirror 2-0
    I will probably switch to a classical version in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Tokugawa View Post
    While 4C and other 3/3.5-color Blue decks popular now, we could see Red Stompy rising...but 3 of 5 opponents?

I think our deck has a singnificantly favorable matchup against Red Stompy, but also has some weak points. They have up to 4 Ensnaring bridges MD, so a "blind" show could often become suicide. Having answer like Abrade is awesome in this matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokugawa View Post

Yeah, 2 of the 3 8 moon players preyed on Lands and delvers for 2-0 and i happened to met 1 at first round. Abrade is a pretty good sideboard card though i prefer an additional echoing truth going forward as a catch all. In open meta, echoing truth has more application against threats like empty the warrens and young pyromancer tokens as well as BR reanimator creatures, especially sire of insantity or Choke.

Thread Information