Thread: [SCD] Drop of Honey

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

[SCD] Drop of Honey

I was hoping to get a feel for this card by playing some games with it but it seems that I don't draw it when i need it and especially not when I'm trying to test it.

I intended to use it to slow the bleeding against aggro decks and possibly buy more turns by detouring them from playing creatures. It seems like a decent drop against show and tell and has some other applications because it does not target the creature it destroys.

Has anyone tested Drop of honey?

What results have you found?

Maybe a control based deck with porphyry nodes and an indestructible creature?
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Re: [SCD] Drop of Honey

I have not played with Drop, but I did try to play Porphyry Nodes back when Extended didn't suck (ONS through Lorwyn era). Though it wasn't Legacy, there were hyper agro decks, combo decks, and control decks everywhere.

In short, it never worked nearly as well as I wanted it to. Either they let it kill one guy, and then play more threats next turn, or you cast it when its too late to matter. Or they aren't even playing creatures to begin with, and the card is useless.

What really sucks is that you can't play it premptively, and its Sorcery speed.

They HAVE to have a guy, then pass turn. You play Nodes/Drop. They hit you once. Then pass, THEN it dies. It turns out its just better to play actual removal.

Id really like it if this card worked, but it just doesn't live up to our dreams :(

I used to play it in the board of BUG Landstill. The card's not bad, however, the trigger at the upkeep was sometimes a liability. Also, unless your opponent overextends, too many times proved to be just a delayed removal spell.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Herjan View Post
    I used to play it in the board of BUG Landstill. The card's not bad, however, the trigger at the upkeep was sometimes a liability. Also, unless your opponent overextends, too many times proved to be just a delayed removal spell.
    did you ever get value out of it? Like 2-3 creatures or extra turns?

I had a chance to board it in vs dredge and it forced them to burn both of their cabal therapies instead of just let their creatures die. I wish it was better than it is. It reads so much better.

Maybe if all I really want is extra turns, I might just run tarmogoyf. He blocks like a wall and is often the biggest creature on the field.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    did you ever get value out of it? Like 2-3 creatures or extra turns?
    A few times, yes, I did (but it never really acted as a cheaper Abyss). It also made me lose a game or two due to it's upkeep trigger (where any other removal spell would have won me the game, or at least saved me from death).

I will probably sleeve Landstill again for the next local tournament and might give it another shot in the board, just because I want it to work so badly, even if I would probably be better off with another copy of Deed/Golgari Charm/Toxic Deluge/Explosives.

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

I think it's actually not a bad card. It shouldn't be your first line of defense, but can be great supplementary removal in a control deck. The drawback of the card is the delayed removal, which means you have to take a hit from a creature (or multiple if they have multiple). That said, it's best against aggressive decks early because it buys you a turn of your opponent not playing a creature. Thiks can give you some much needed time early game. Additionally, this deals with otherwise hard to answer threats like true name nemesis.

With this in mind I think drop of honey (and porphyry nodes) are best when you expect decks with lots of creatures, or you need some ways to handle otherwise difficult creatures.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

Seems abusable with stuff like Maze of Ith or just running high power creatures so it'll destroy their creatures.

I ran 3 copies of it in UG 12 Post last time I played it. Did what it is supposed to do, but then again, I ran 4 MD Repeal.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp2293 View Post
    I ran 3 copies of it in UG 12 Post last time I played it. Did what it is supposed to do, but then again, I ran 4 MD Repeal.
    Excellent idea. I think repeal fits well into the deck i was trying to work drop into. blood clock and umbilicus also interact with drop.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Once they changed the oracle and made it target it became mostly useless. When it targeted it was insane.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Once they changed the oracle and made it target it became mostly useless. When it targeted it was insane.
    They changed it so that it no longer targets. This is typically considered a good thing because it can hit TNN. Why do you think its was better when it targeted?

7/15/2006 This card's ability is not targeted, so even untargetable creatures or those with Protection can be chosen.
    7/1/2013 If the creature with the least power has indestructible, the ability does nothing.
    7/1/2013 If there are multiple creatures tied for least power and some but not all of them have indestructible, the ones with indestructible can't be chosen.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Prior to that it targeted. If you controlled a creature with shroud, you had better Abyss for G because it wouldn't leave the battlefield. It was much better, I had a couple of good runs with B/g Nether Void with Deadly Insect as my finisher ... 3-4 Drops. Ice Storm, etc.. circa 1996-97.
    Last edited by nedleeds; 12-14-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: edit: retard mouth

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

When it targeted, you could use it with your own Nimble Mongoose and the like.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    Maybe a control based deck with porphyry nodes and an indestructible creature?
    Nodes could work out of the sideboard with Thassa in Miracles.

Drop really needs some sort of lock (like Ensnaring Bridge) to hide behind so while they are looking for an answer you are clearing the board.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Oct 2005
    Belchertown, MA

Someone was using Drop in their Pox sideboard. It seemed that it was good to take out one or two creatures while you continued to disrupt their hand and lands. I think they were specifically fighting DRS with it.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by ntropy View Post
    Someone was using Drop in their Pox sideboard. It seemed that it was good to take out one or two creatures while you continued to disrupt their hand and lands. I think they were specifically fighting DRS with it.
    I guess if piles of utility dorks are big, then this is probably a decent play
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Thread Information