Thread: 2 Emrakul and Karakas interaction

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

2 Emrakul and Karakas interaction

I have two emrakul, the aeon torn in my hand, a sneak attack with two red available and my opponent has an active karakas. I activate sneak attack during my main phase to put emrakul no. 1 into play and proceed to declare attackers. He activates karakas targetting my emrakul. My question is can I activate sneak attack and put emrakul no. 2 into play, legend ruling emrakul no. 1 and attack with emrakul no. 2?
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Re: 2 Emrakul and Karakas interaction

Quote Originally Posted by rockout View Post
    I have two emrakul, the aeon torn in my hand, a sneak attack with two red available and my opponent has an active karakas. I activate sneak attack during my main phase to put emrakul no. 1 into play and proceed to declare attackers. He activates karakas targetting my emrakul. My question is can I activate sneak attack and put emrakul no. 2 into play, legend ruling emrakul no. 1 and attack with emrakul no. 2?
    You could certainly do that, but why don't you just let Karakas' ability resolve, bouncing Emrakul #1 back to your hand, then activate Sneak Attack and pop that one back into play (presuming this is before the actual Declare attackers step)?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Esper is correct. This is a very common play for Sneak and Show players. It only requires 1 emrakul. If they use karakas after declare attackers then the annihilator trigger will have been put onto the stack and they have to sacrifice permanents but they won't take damage and you won't be able to attack with him again that turn.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

I want someone to tell me in the comprehensive ruling when the timing for bouncing my emrakul takes place so I can rules nazi my opponents.

Your above posts are basically worthless to me. Good frigging job.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

I want someone to tell me in the comprehensive ruling when the timing for bouncing my emrakul takes place so I can rules nazi my opponents.

Your above posts are basically worthless to me. Good frigging job.
    If you didn't understand our above posts i dont think anyone can explain it any better. He can bounce tour emrakul before or after you attack. If he bounces it before then you can activate sneak attack again and put it back into play and attack with it. If he bounces it after declare attackers than the annihilator trigger will be put onto the stack but he will not deal combat damage. Putting him back into play at this point would be pointless because you have already passed the declare attackers part of tour turn

As for comprehensive rulings you need to understand how priority works and where your opportunities to activate abilities are.

You have not presented a rules issue just a failure to understand the attack phase
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Assuming this is all done at the end of the Beginning of Combat Step, it would work. Karakas ability would be on the stack, you respond by activating Sneak Attack to put the second Emrakul into play and then you would have the ability to decide what Emrakul you keep. He would have the ability to respond to your Sneak Attack activation (Trickbind blowouts yo), but he can't respond when you decide what Emrakul you keep.
    It's really as simple as that as it's just responding to abilities on the stack. Are you looking for the "speed" at which the Legendary rule happens?

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

Sorry about my earlier post. Man I was super drunk.

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

More specifically:

500.2. A phase or step in which players receive priority ends when the stack is empty and all players pass in succession. Simply having the stack become empty doesn't cause such a phase or step to end; all players have to pass in succession with the stack empty. Because of this, each player gets a chance to add new things to the stack before that phase or step ends.
    After your main phase there is the beginning of the combat step, then the declare attackers step. So, after you guys both pass priority during your main phase you move to the beginning of combat step. Presumably you have Emrakul in play, so this is when they have to use Karakas to bounce him. After the bounce ability resolves you will receive priority again before you move to the declare attackers step. During this time you may replay Emrakul through Sneak Attack.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

Quote Originally Posted by Valtrix View Post
    More specifically:

After your main phase there is the beginning of the combat step, then the declare attackers step. So, after you guys both pass priority during your main phase you move to the beginning of combat step. Presumably you have Emrakul in play, so this is when they have to use Karakas to bounce him. After the bounce ability resolves you will receive priority again before you move to the declare attackers step. During this time you may replay Emrakul through Sneak Attack.

Thank you.

Thread Information