Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Identify Archetypes

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

How to Identify Archetypes

I was reading the new Sneak Show Primer and I read the "how to identify" part. I thoroughly enjoyed it even though I despise the deck.

I wish there was a similar stickied main thread on identifying legacy archetypes based on turn one/two plays and to what to watch out for the following turns.

Also, take note Everyday Eternal hosts. How would you play around the given information by your opponent based on the deck you play (Matt plays Midrange, Jacob is known to play combo (or any Griselbrand.dec), Sam plays control and Sean plays fringe rogue "lockdown prison" strategies. Maybe you can invite Bob again as the tempo player and/or another guest known to play other playstyles not mentioned).
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Re: How to Identify Archetypes

Nice one from the podcast itself:
    Tropical Island, Top: 12-Post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Nice one from the podcast itself:
    Tropical Island, Top: 12-Post.
    Yes, but that episode was focused to Cabal Therapy.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

You could just wait for us to finish it on the sneak and show thread and then extract that segment for a sticky

We have all or at least the majority of land drops completed. There is only a handful of t1 drops that further narrow it down from there
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Yes, but that episode was focused to Cabal Therapy.
    Excuse me. Which podcast was it? (Timestamp?)
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Excuse me. Which podcast was it? (Timestamp?)
    It was this one
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Thx
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

How Not to identify decks:
    Volcanic Island - This land could be anything. RUG Delver, WUR Delver, UR Delver, Sneak and Show, Miracle, Painter Stone....
    Tropical Island - This land could be slightly less than any anything. RUG Delver, BUG Delver, Shardless BUG, 12 Post....
    Island - This land could be anything. Omni-tell, Miracle, Sneak and Show, High Tide, Merfolk....

Generally, it's the combination of the 1st land and the 1st spell they play. Sometimes, it's the 1st land and the 1st ability they play, as in 1st ability could be cycle, oh 1st land is optional, cause some decks don't need that 1st land.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    Generally, it's the combination of the 1st land and the 1st spell they play. Sometimes, it's the 1st land and the 1st ability they play, as in 1st ability could be cycle, oh 1st land is optional, cause some decks don't need that 1st land.
    Completely agree here. If they're playing only land-go, I'm putting them on either keeping a not-so-great hand or killing me next turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Completely agree here. If they're playing only land-go, I'm putting them on either keeping a not-so-great hand or killing me next turn.
    You should probably put them on Miracles. No combo deck goes draw go without playing cantrips of any sort. Instead a Miracle player wants to go late game and has little to no interest in casting spells when he's sitting on a Brainstorm+ Terminus in hand. Unless he has Top or CB. But most of the times he will try to play these out of pierce range, so it's perfectly normal for a Miracle player to go draw-go for the first 3-4 turns of the game.

In regard to the post above, if opponent opens with Volcanic go, we just have very few choices here

-Delver decks ( they have stifle and they run Wasteland. They have few creatures and a cc2 game breaking creatures, maybe Goyf, or Sfm, or Young Pyromancer. They play taxing counters.) = they all play the same and the way you play vs doesn't really change a lot.

-combo deck ( Snt, Tes, Ant) They're combo decks. You need to stay open for taxing counters or play discard spells, or play an hatebear, or go off before them. There is not a lot beyond that.

- Miracles that kept a sketchy hand.

That's it in 99% of the cases. Ponder and Bs will not help understanding what they are up to because they're played by all three archetypes (though Miracle usually play 1-2). Ancient tomb helps. So does Delver. Intuition should give you hints. It's not that hard. I find this process rather easy the vast majority of the times. Last month I spotted a guy playing Aluren on turn 2 because he went misty-trop- ponder on his first turn and dropped a Taiga on his 2nd turn.
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by kiblast View Post
    You should probably put them on Miracles. No combo deck goes draw go without playing cantrips of any sort.
    Could easily be an EOT Entomb from Reanimator or Tin Fins if they USea or Swamp, Pass. There are always cases...
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

You should probably put them on Miracles. No combo deck goes draw go without playing cantrips of any sort.
    Swamp in play, respond to you tap out for Brainstorm, ritual, ritual, Ad Neasuem.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    Could easily be an EOT Entomb from Reanimator or Tin Fins if they USea or Swamp, Pass. There are always cases...
    Yeah, but that's usually a bad line from reanimator - you want to play Entomb before your opponent can Daze / Pierce it.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Your opponent goes, Chrome Mox, imprint simian Sprit Guide, City of Traitors, Seething Song, Sneak Attack, activate, put in Worldspine Wurm, Attack you to 5, eot make 3 5/5 Wurms.

You play Swamp Cabal Therapy, what do you name?
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Your opponent goes, Chrome Mox, imprint simian Sprit Guide, City of Traitors, Seething Song, Sneak Attack, activate, put in Worldspine Wurm, Attack you to 5, eot make 3 5/5 Wurms.
    I think at this point, I'd be all "lol wat" at seeing Worldspine
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

What does my usual Misty Rainforest into Volcanic Island into Ponder tell you about me playing TES? ;P

Join us at Facebook!

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    I think at this point, I'd be all "lol wat" at seeing Worldspine
    It's not as lulzy when it happens to you 3 weeks in a row at your local when you are playing 4 Color Loam lol.
    "BUT MY CHALICE OF THE VOIDS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD VERSUS COMBO"
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

I often go Polluted Delta>island, ponder (no shuffle), go. This can really put my opponent on defensive. Maybe they had a turn 1 delver or their own ponder, but keep mana up for turn 1 spell pierce but I am actually just playing UWr miracles and nothing that will kill them next turn.

Making a guide for this is tricky. Its more a 6th sense. Its not just the cards they play, but the players behaviors and appearance (and the appearance of their sleaves, playmat, etc.). From playing nothing but decks that have 4 maindeck cabal therapies (without probes or other discard) for quiet a long time I got pretty good at it. Research helps, but it is definitely not something you learn overnight by reading a guide.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Swamp in play, respond to you tap out for Brainstorm, ritual, ritual, Ad Neasuem.
    Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    Could easily be an EOT Entomb from Reanimator or Tin Fins if they USea or Swamp, Pass. *There are always cases...
    He said ''playing only land go''. I assumed repeatedly over the course of various turns. Like 3-4. How often do you see combo players playing draw go for more than 2 turns (considering storm combo decks play13-15 lands) ? Correct, almost never. My bad though, as I assumed his ''only land go'' meant over the course of a certain number of turns. Not just the first. Obviously fetch go doesn't mean anything lol.

Also with, Swamp in play, I don't think I put them on Miracles lol.
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

He said ''playing only land go''. I assumed repeatedly over the course of various turns. Like 3-4. How often do you see combo players playing draw go for more than 2 turns (considering storm combo decks play13-15 lands) ? Correct, almost never. My bad though, as I assumed his ''only land go'' meant over the course of a certain number of turns. Not just the first. Obviously fetch go doesn't mean anything lol.

Also with, Swamp in play, I don't think I put them on Miracles lol.
    One combo deck that does tend to land go for a turn or two is Hypergenesis. So watch out for that.

Thread Information