Thread: Goblin Sligh

Sep 2011

Goblin Sligh

I was brewing something in Legacy developmental/tier 3 and realized this is mostly Modern Legal. Could this be a viable aggro strategy?

Note: In 99% of matchups you should be the aggressor, so sideboarding is handled accordingly. Lightning Bolt is questionably avoided in favour of just cramming in more creatures (permanent source of damage output) to smash through blockers (as pseudo-removal). Since you are the aggressor, you should rarely need to Bolt one of their guys. This also means you can ignore Leyline of Sanctity silliness.

//Mana Sources: 22
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    18 Mountain

//34 creatures:
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Vexing Devil
    4 Tattermunge Maniac
    4 Foundry Street Denizen
    3 Goblin Bushwhacker
    4 Burning-Tree Emissary
    4 Goblin Shortcutter
    4 Hellspark Elemental
    3 Mogg War Marshal

//4 reach:
    4 Goblin Grenade

//15 sideboard:
    3 Searing Blaze
    3 Forked Bolt
    4 Goblin Chieftain
    2 Stingscourger
    3 Skullcrack

A number of turn 3 goldfishes are possible!

Re: Goblin Sligh

Caleb Durward tried out a Goblins list you could look at if you're interested. His build used Shared Animosity, which I expect is on average slower than what you're playing but can create situations where it's very tough for the opponent to live unless they take out all (or all but one) of your goblins. (The right draw also makes it kill pretty quickly.) One thing I would guess you do want to take from his list is running some number of Krenko's Command and/or Dragon Fodder (at least over the Shortcutter I would expect- it seems weak to me for the maindeck) for synergy with Bushwhacker and Foundry Street Denizen, aka the cards that really let you deal unreasonable amounts of damage quickly.

I would be interested to hear your results with the Simian Spirit Guides, and if I get around to goldfishing and/or testing this list out myself, that's the card I will watch most closely. They enable some powerful starts but I'd be concerned about how often the Spirit Guide ends up rotting in your hand or putting you too far down on cards for not enough gain in speed. The other non-goblins (Vexing Devil/BTE/Hellspark) are also worth watching, just to see if this individual power level offers you more than some goblin synergies would.

EDIT: Though on the other hand, this deck is less powerful and more vulnerable to Pyroclasm than something like Gruul Zoo, so perhaps it needs acceleration like Spirit Guides in order to have a comparative advantage in speed, so that's worth noting too.

Sep 2011

Thanks for the comments. Shared Animosity is solid and I might consider it if I move towards a more token-centric build with higher curve, more goblin synergies, MD Chieftains and overall longer gameplan.

For now at least I wanted to toy with going blistering fast. SSG helps that, especially with the ridiculously low curve. For example, 2 Foundry Street Denizen on turn 1 is just ridiculous. 2 Vexing Devils or 2 Goblin Guides is also a pretty solid start. And yes, you need to rush out of the gates fast enough to dodge Pyroclasm effects. Although on average this may still be slower than Gruul, don't know yet. IMO SSG is never really useless, since if you are mana flooded you can just hardcast it as another 2/2... underwhelming, but at that point bigger than half your team so not strictly awful. But yeah, I'll see how it performs.

Goblin Shortcutter was a late inclusion. I was debating about making that slot Keldon Marauders, Lightning Bolt or more Goblins at first (Wardriver?). But you REALLY need your Foundry Streets (or other biggest body) to connect early, otherwise you quickly get outclassed by bigger creatures and combo and such. Really sucks if your T1 Foundry is staring at a DRS. A burn spell (or Stingscourger) would remove the blocker but not contribute any damage to opponent (something we cannot afford). Shortcutter lets you duck the blocker, pumps Foundry one more and adds to next turn's attack. It's also not a dead slot if opponent has no blockers, makes use of BTE's green mana and adds to your "Goblin" count. It curves out really smoothly sometimes but may just be chaff other times. I couldn't find another card that really fits that tempo functionality. Maybe this should just be Lightning Bolt or Forked Bolt MD?

(Note: Yeah, Shortcutter would be absolute garbage MD in Caleb's build)

I've been running this list for a while now. It's pretty solid I can usually pull a turn 3-4 win. I recently added the white splash to help my matchup against UWR. I'm not sure if all the choices are correct, but it's been running pretty good as of late.

Sep 2011

Gombo Breaker

Now with Purphoros, Lord of I don't get an Eff if you kill my guys

3 Goblin Arsonist
    4 Foundry Street Denizen
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Goblin Bushwhacker
    4 Legion Loyalist
    4 Mogg War Marshal
    4 Krenko's Command
    2 Goblin Wardriver
    4 Goblin Chieftain

4 Goblin Grenade
    3 Shared Animosity

4 Simian Spirit Guide
    16 Mountain

//Sideboard:
    3 Purphoros, God of the Forge
    4 Blood Moon
    3 Forked Bolt
    2 Torpor Orb
    2 Shattering Spree
    1 Smelt

SSG helps Blood Moon come online earlier. T2 Blood Moon seems decent, as fast as the format can manage. It also helps with Purphoros and some faster T1 starts.
    Last edited by FTW; 01-16-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Feb 2014
    North Carolina, USA

Re: Gombo Breaker

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Now with Purphoros, Lord of I don't get an Eff if you kill my guys

3 Goblin Arsonist
    4 Foundry Street Denizen
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Goblin Bushwhacker
    4 Legion Loyalist
    4 Mogg War Marshal
    4 Krenko's Command
    2 Goblin Wardriver
    4 Goblin Chieftain

4 Goblin Grenade
    3 Shared Animosity

4 Simian Spirit Guide
    16 Mountain

//Sideboard:
    3 Purphoros, God of the Forge
    4 Blood Moon
    3 Forked Bolt
    2 Torpor Orb
    2 Shattering Spree
    1 Smelt

SSG helps Blood Moon come online earlier. T2 Blood Moon seems decent, as fast as the format can manage. It also helps with Purphoros and some faster T1 starts.
    I really like (or rather liked) this list. My only change would have been:

- 2 Krenko's Command
    + 2 Dragon Fodder

It's nit-picky, but whatever.

However, I feel the banlist changes the deck a bit. Assuming Wild Nacatl makes Zoo/Naya a serious player, we may have been forced to give the deck a "beefier" approach, closer to how it was originally. Here's a list that was posted on dailymtg.com that is sort of what I'm talking about. It's close to what I used to run way back:

17 Mountain
    3 Teetering Peaks
    2 Goblin Arsonist
    4 Goblin Bushwhacker
    4 Goblin Chieftain
    4 Goblin Cohort
    4 Goblin Guide
    2 Goblin Wardriver
    4 Mogg Fanatic
    4 Mogg War Marshal
    4 Tattermunge Maniac
    4 Goblin Grenade
    4 Lightning Bolt

1 Blood Moon
    4 Leyline of Punishment
    3 Mark of Mutiny
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    3 Shattering Spree
    1 Smash to Smithereens

EDIT: Here's another list I like that was found on the dailies:

20 Mountain
    3 Akki Avalanchers
    4 Foundry Street Denizen
    4 Goblin Bushwhacker
    4 Goblin Chieftain
    4 Goblin Guide
    2 Krenko, Mob Boss
    4 Legion Loyalist
    2 Mogg War Marshal
    2 Spikeshot Elder
    4 Goblin Grenade
    4 Krenko's Command
    3 Shared Animosity

1 Arc Trail
    3 Combust
    2 Forked Bolt
    2 Goblin Assault
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Shattering Spree
    2 Smash to Smithereens
    Last edited by BBG|Scott-Spain; 02-15-2014 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Updating for another list

Feb 2014
    North Carolina, USA

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to show that this deck can be worked with in the new meta. Here are two lists found on the dailies:

19 Mountain
    4 Foundry Street Denizen
    4 Goblin Bushwhacker
    4 Goblin Chieftain
    4 Goblin Guide
    3 Goblin King
    4 Legion Loyalist
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    1 Spikeshot Elder
    3 Dragon Fodder
    4 Goblin Grenade
    3 Krenko's Command
    4 Lightning Bolt

3 Combust
    3 Leyline of Punishment
    4 Shattering Spree
    3 Smelt
    2 Tormod's Crypt

2 Contested War Zone
    17 Mountain
    2 Mutavault
    4 Foundry Street Denizen
    4 Goblin Bushwhacker
    4 Goblin Chieftain
    4 Goblin Guide
    2 Goblin King
    3 Legion Loyalist
    4 Mogg War Marshal
    4 Dragon Fodder
    4 Goblin Grenade
    2 Krenko's Command
    4 Lightning Bolt

4 Blood Moon
    4 Combust
    3 Everlasting Torment
    4 Smash to Smithereens

I'm a big fan of the first list since it sticks to what the deck is good at and tries not to be something it's not with excess shenanigans.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

I don't have a specific list, but I've been contemplating on porting Kuldotha Red (from WWK/SOM Standard) to Modern. I really like the deck's namesake card, Kuldotha Rebirth. It can do some crazy things with Foundry Street Denizen and Goblin Bushwhacker. The issue, of course, is that you need to run some number of artifacts, preferably that cost 0-1 mana, so that limits you to Memnite, Mox Opal, Signal Pest, and maybe Ornithopter. If you run enough, you could also consider Galvanic Blast or Shrapnel Blast.

Feb 2014
    North Carolina, USA

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainTwiddle View Post
    I don't have a specific list, but I've been contemplating on porting Kuldotha Red (from WWK/SOM Standard) to Modern. I really like the deck's namesake card, Kuldotha Rebirth. It can do some crazy things with Foundry Street Denizen and Goblin Bushwhacker. The issue, of course, is that you need to run some number of artifacts, preferably that cost 0-1 mana, so that limits you to Memnite, Mox Opal, Signal Pest, and maybe Ornithopter. If you run enough, you could also consider Galvanic Blast or Shrapnel Blast.
    That feels like a stretch to me. It would seem like a bad Affinity deck since it opens us up to even more hate.
    GamErgonomics: The Science of Gaming Performance
    Life Coaching for Gamers
    Personal Gaming Blog UPDATED 1/13
    "Everyone is a hero. Even if you've only saved yourself."

Feb 2014
    North Carolina, USA

Bumping with a new list. I'll merge if the posts if that's not okay.

fpapini (3-1)
    Modern Daily #6975332 on 04/15/2014

3 Cavern of Souls
    17 Mountain
    4 Foundry Street Denizen
    4 Goblin Bushwhacker
    4 Goblin Chieftain
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Goblin Wardriver
    4 Legion Loyalist
    4 Mogg War Marshal
    2 Spikeshot Elder
    4 Goblin Grenade
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Shared Animosity

2 Blood Moon
    4 Electrickery
    3 Shrine of Burning Rage
    3 Skullcrack
    3 Smash to Smithereens

I'm surprised by Wardriver, especially since it takes the up the slots for the sorceries.
    Life Coaching for Gamers

Sep 2011

I'm glad people are finally realizing how strong 4 Foundry Street Denizen + 4 Legion Loyalist + cheap red creatures is. I've been running that configuration for a while in both Modern and Standard and it looks like it's starting to grow in popularity (with 17-land monored Sligh winning a few Standard dailies). While potentially vulnerable, Loyalist with +1/+0 effects is just so explosive and hard to stop with creatures. That's probably why Wardriver, to help push through the beef. Although maybe the list would be more optimal with a few more burn spells over Wardrivers.

Feb 2014
    North Carolina, USA
    Life Coaching for Gamers

May 2014
    UK

I played my first (small) lgs modern event last week running the following list:-

//20 Mana Sources
    14 Mountain
    4 Cavern of Souls
    2 Mutavault

//20 Creatures
    4 Foundry Street Denizen
    4 Goblin Bushwhacker
    4 Goblin Chieftain
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Legion Loyalist
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    3 Warren Instigator
    2 Goblin King
    2 Krenko, Mob Boss

//10 Other
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Goblin Grenade
    3 Shared Animosity

//Side:
    3 Blood Moon
    3 Spellskite
    2 Dismember
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Shattering Spree
    2 Skullcrack
    1 Pithing Needle

It managed to get me to top 4, finally finishing third. Apologies for not providing a report, I'm new to modern and have a terrible memory.

I probably should have done better in my last round but I didn't draw the answers I needed to Kor Firewalker and a bunch of life linkers (coupled with the fact I played very badly, e.g. missing a Foundry Street Denizen trigger on a War Marshall's toke, leaving him on 1 life and costing me the game on his next turn).

I thought it played great (explosive is definitely the word) but I had it strongly suggested, that I should be ditching the Winstigators, Krenko and a few other bits to run Krenko's Command and Dragon Fodder. It seems like this thread fizzled out just when you guys were starting to do that? How did you get on? Are any of you guys out there still playing this deck?

Mar 2013
    Bury, Manchester, England

That version looks really powerful, but I think there's room for some Shock effets in the board, unless there's some one-sided Pyroclasms for maybe 3? Taking out Swiftspears seems good.

What happened to Vial? Do we just not care? It feels like playing 16 Lands + Vials would be an excellent strategy if you end up cutting down on everything that costs over two. It wuld probably involve cutting Mutavaults, so I'm not sure how much you gain in this current, very aggro orientated format. If you end up on the tokens build with Dragon Fodder and Krenko's Command, I do think you could end up on ~18 Lands.

And I know it's the fad right now, but I'd be splashing 4 Steam Vents for some Treasure Cruises.
    Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    If you pay me or give me some benefits, I might consider writing reports.
    Can I pay you for not posting in this thread?
    The conspiracy goes deeper than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    That's.... that's not how deckbuilding works.

Thread Information