Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Card Frame coming with M15

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

New Card Frame coming with M15

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin...ly/feature/281

I don't mind smaller borders, but the new designer credit and holofoil stamp for rares/mythics look fucking stupid.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: New Card Frame coming with M15

Possibly as a way to make counterfeiting more difficult?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Possibly as a way to make counterfeiting more difficult?
    I haven't thought about it that way. Sounds like a reasonable explanation, especially with the recent surge of better fakes.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Was hoping for future sight frame!
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

The problem is that the real high-value cards you'd want to counterfeit don't have this holofoil thing. See: dual lands, fetches, Legacy and Modern staples.

I guess they'd be targeting people trying to make copies of mythics for Standard, but I feel like the volume of cards being opened these days is so high that even the priciest mythics don't stay that way for long.

Also, the new card frame tweaks are...unattractive, to say the least. I don't like how jagged the new font looks and the colored frame not wrapping around the bottom is ugly. Does someone in WotC have a fetish for screwing with the card frame or something? They do shit like this all the time. You wanted to save your tweaks for a batch because you don't like tweaking too often? You made a new card frame for gods in Theros, one for Miracles in Avacyn Restored, a modified frame for werewolves in both sets of Innistrad block, one for levelers in Rise of the Eldrazi, and possibly more I'm forgetting. EDIT: Oh, right, and Time Spiral block.

But, eh, whatever. In terms of aesthetics, nothing will come close to the old card frames for me (although the ones we have now are somewhat easier to read).

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Was hoping for future sight frame!
    I agree, I love that frame in a nonironic way.

However for this news what's the big deal. With Miracles and Enchantment/Artifacts in the last two sets they have been messing with the borders a lot lately. At this point I don't even really notice it. These do kind of look kind of ugly, but good thing I play Legacy and don't have to worry about it until they print something busted.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Zllig View Post
    With Miracles and Enchantment/Artifacts in the last two sets they have been messing with the borders a lot lately. At this point I don't even really notice it. These do kind of look kind of ugly, but good thing I play Legacy and don't have to worry about it until they print something busted.
    I second this. I was livid back in 2003 when WOTC got rid of the old frame; now I don't really care. There have been so many other frame and design changes that this just doesn't matter that much. The holofoil looks dorky and moves the design closer to Pokemon, but flip cards in Kamigawa and transform cards in Innistrad block were travesties by comparison.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I don't even care. It's such a slight difference. It isn't like the old to new border

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Good idea, although it's not really nice visually.

My main problem with the many versions of MtG frame is that when you play the cards of different editions (and this is esp. true for Eternal with its deepest pool), it's like when you're playing several different games at once. I know that it's too late to mourn the fact that there was no counterfeit protection at the very beginning of the game (who would have guessed what MtG will become over next years and that the Moxes will be worth their weight in gold), on the other hand, I still think that a watermark would work the same and won't be that... well, not really ugly, but the hologram is very, very unusual to say the least.

EDIT: Although I like that one may easily gain all the needed info about the particular card from the card itself, I dislike how they've done it. It's really ugly and it definitely should have been made in a smaller font. From now on, all the cards will look like an EU-normed pack of biscuits.

"Tarmogoyf, 4/5 package. Green monster. May contain small portions of soya, eggs, nuts, almonds and chilli."

So do I understand this correctly...THIS will become the new standard frame? I mean the red card looks pretty damn ugly to be honest, it just looks so discontinuous in terms of colors. Luckily you won't notice it too much on black cards as seen on Waste Not but the aesthetics of non-black cards are hurt pretty much in my opinion. I honestly think that this isn't even a question of customization like it was with 8th edition, this just looks like a mutilation of the modern frame..

Preventing counterfeit? If I were to make counterfeit cards I'd start with duals fetches fows, leds and the like, not some shitty, and easily accessible standard cards.

Seriously the most expensive card in standard is Mutavault around 25 bucks, it seems kinda fair price for a format staple.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Kage View Post
    Preventing counterfeit? If I were to make counterfeit cards I'd start with duals fetches fows, leds and the like, not some shitty, and easily accessible standard cards.

Seriously the most expensive card in standard is Mutavault around 25 bucks, it seems kinda fair price for a format staple.
    Thing is, Standard stuff isn't checked near as thoroughly as horribly expensive Eternal cards that tend to be worn out a bit.

Also, Paint.tech:

Not hard, WotC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

This is horrible! Each time they changed the frame, the cards looked continously less like a card of the color it represented.

Old frame cards looked really colorful and had this special feeling to them. I absolutely loved the bubbles in the frame of old black cards, for example. When they changed the frames last time it really hurt my eyes as there was a lot of flavor lost along the way. A lot! But now we have THIS and it really makes we wonder how this is supposed to be an improvement.

I am really really sad
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Dec 2010
    Beijing/Shenzhen

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    This is horrible! Each time they changed the frame, the cards looked continously less like a card of the color it represented.

Old frame cards looked really colorful and had this special feeling to them. I absolutely loved the bubbles in the frame of old black cards, for example. When they changed the frames last time it really hurt my eyes as there was a lot of flavor lost along the way. A lot! But now we have THIS and it really makes we wonder how this is supposed to be an improvement.

I am really really sad
    totally agree. I directly quit the game when they they began to print cards with new frame last time.
    Team Blood, Beijing.
    Currently play: Sneaky Show/ Lands

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post

I am really really sad
    ^ Everything I want to say.

Plus, as a completely subjective comment, the design is flawed as the cutoff line for the unnecessarily shorter color frame doesn't align with anything meaningful and loses its function as a frame as it is not covering a meaningful area. If they wanted to spare some space for the new black bottom a better approach would have been to gradually fade the color to black. But black being a frame color itself this whole thing is still flawed. Any visual arts people in the forum, please back me up here. These are basic principles.

One last thing. If only wizards could say only for once, based on the community feedback, that they've made a mistake and decided not to go forward with a decision that would go a long ways towards earning respect from many of us long time players.
    Legacy: Rituals
    Vintage: Drains

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

You guys find something new to cry about every week, or am I giving you too much credit? Seriously, the frame on the card could be a million donkeys and I wouldn't give two shits.

TL;DR- The Source: Your source for daycare training
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Aside from nostalgia this frame seems a lot worst than all the previous ones.
    The stamp seems childish to say the least, but i like the informations on the bottom left corner.

- L

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post

Not hard, WotC.
    This looks acceptable. No idea why they had to make this ugly cut-off.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    This looks acceptable. No idea why they had to make this ugly cut-off.
    They could also use that to expand the coloured border to the physical border of the card, doing away with the black outline entirely. More colour on the card, and the card feels bigger too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

Meh . . . they're ugly as hell, but it doesn't impact the way the game is played other than maybe the use of proxies from this set onward.

What really gets me is the reasoning behind each of the four major changes.

1. The font - Wow ... not only does no one give a fuck if you designed your own font or not, but when you compare Waste Not to Dying Wish, nothing seems to have changed! So useless and unnoticeable.

2. Holofoil stamp - So ... authenticating standard and limited fodder is a thing now?

3. Collection Information - You guys aren't Yu-Gi-Oh!: y'all have a working database where we can look up the collector information with ease. We don't need redundant (set, rarity, language) information to clutter the card either.

4. New card frame - It'd have been nice if didn't look so jarring and ugly: at the very least just get rid of that curve at the bottom so its more square.

Once again, meh changes, rage-inducing reasoning.

Thread Information