Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Another] new card frame

Emptying the Warrens

Nov 2012

Re: [Another] new card frame

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    I would have prefered just putting the old foil star instead of that circle.
    Something like this:
    That is an amazing idea!
    Emptying the Warrens: So YOU don't have to!

It took less than a day for users to come up with better solutions for both the border and the hologram. WotC...

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Quote Originally Posted by force_of_phil View Post
    It took less than a day for users to come up with better solutions for both the border and the hologram. WotC...
    The "foil star" is not the same material as a hologram. It doesn't meet the same specifications for security and authenticity. How about they just replace the hologram on your Visa card with a pretty little foil star? I guess the US government also goofed up because they could have just put a bunch of little foil stars on the new $100 bills instead of those ugly hologram strips.

You can't even make foil stars on cards that aren't foil. They are only possible because the entire cardstock material starts out foiled, and then the card art layer is simply left clear so that the foil shows through in the image of a star. Just because you can make something in photoshop, it doesn't mean that you can actually make it using real world materials. And unless you want the costs of booster packs to double, then you also have to consider the manufacturing costs...

Site Contributor

Dec 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Malchar View Post
    The "foil star" is not the same material as a hologram. It doesn't meet the same specifications for security and authenticity. How about they just replace the hologram on your Visa card with a pretty little foil star? I guess the US government also goofed up because they could have just put a bunch of little foil stars on the new $100 bills instead of those ugly hologram strips.

You can't even make foil stars on cards that aren't foil. They are only possible because the entire cardstock material starts out foiled, and then the card art layer is simply left clear so that the foil shows through in the image of a star. Just because you can make something in photoshop, it doesn't mean that you can actually make it using real world materials. And unless you want the costs of booster packs to double, then you also have to consider the manufacturing costs...
    Cause they couldn't use the same material to make something more aesthetically and visually pleasing such as the "foil star" right?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

If they wanted a change they had a lot of options. These changes are pretty poor.

The Set doesn't need to be on the card twice

The set symbol is colored black silver gold orange for a reason, and we don't need redundancy on the bottom of the card

The language seems pointless. Theres only a few of them that cards are printed in and they are usually easily identified. If I have a foreign card I'm not wondering what language it is because I probably traded for it with the intent of getting that language.

Remove border - you don't need the border on the card, the color identity is determined by casting cost (the 5 pacts are the only exception, and then you could print on the card, this card is blue or whatever)
    Extend art
    remove set symbol - especially since its printed at the bottom now. OR they could make the holo stamp into the symbol, which would be interesting.
    remove the language indicator, and the dot that they added - they are redundant

This will still allow them to print whatever they want on the card and they can keep the stupid holo stamp, but at least give us what we want. I'm sure the change will also make the artists happy because they get to show off their talents more.

Something more along the lines of whats below without the gold border and add the stamp. Sorry guys i can't photoshop

Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Thread Information