Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Jund Depths

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Re: Jund Depths

I posted this deck in my dark depths forum but I feel like you would appreciate it more here. Its a version I used to play but abandon because of DRS. Now that DRS is gone it can flourish. The SB is not accurate, I'm not sure what it would be now. The main draw of this deck is its raw power from all of the cheap tutors. Game 1 is so strong because you have answers to so many things. If they side in grave hate you can easily function without it. You'll have to give up some power but thats why the sideboard is there. There are so many tutors that can be used to win faster or get defensive cards until you can win. Flame Jab is better in this deck than most because dark depths has traditionally had problems beating death and taxes. Flame jab kills most of the things in their deck. Takes out pesky flying blockers and easily kills delver. Raven's crime can strip away hands that are holding swords to plowshares. Also, dont forget that many decks are still susceptible to wasteland lock. Even though there is only 1 maze of it it ca be copied with stage.

// 61 Maindeck
    // 4 Artifact
    4 Mox Diamond

// 7 Creature
    3 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Vampire Hexmage

// 5 Enchantment
    3 Sylvan Library
    2 Exploration

// 9 Instant
    2 Abrupt Decay
    3 Entomb
    4 Crop Rotation

// 27 Land
    1 Bayou
    4 Dark Depths
    1 Forest
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    1 Swamp
    1 Taiga
    4 Thespian's Stage
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Wasteland
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 Volrath's Stronghold

// 9 Sorcery
    3 Life from the Loam
    4 Gamble
    1 Raven's Crime
    1 Flame Jab

// 15 Sideboard
    // 4 Creature
    SB: 4 Dark Confidant

// 1 Enchantment
    SB: 1 Mirri's Guile

// 4 Instant
    SB: 1 Ancient Grudge
    SB: 1 Ray of Revelation
    SB: 2 Abrupt Decay

// 3 Land
    SB: 1 Riftstone Portal
    SB: 1 Glacial Chasm
    SB: 1 Karakas

// 3 Planeswalker
    SB: 3 Liliana of the Veil
    Last edited by apple713; 07-08-2018 at 06:25 PM.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

May 2018
    Colorado

I love the look of that list, but haven't played it yet. I'll likely sleeve it up for a weekly local sometime soon.

Have you thought about trying young pyromancer in a deck like this? I've always wanted to do something like that in a deck with flame jab and loam.

Hey guys, building a list at the moment. What are your thoughts on this?

Creatures - 1
    1 Nether Spirit

Spells - 19
    4 Life from the Loam
    4 Smallpox
    4 Crop Rotation
    3 Entomb
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Punishing Fire
    1 Raven's Crime

Planeswalkers - 4
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope

Artifacts - 4
    4 Mox Diamond

Enchantments - 2
    2 Sylvan Library

Lands - 30
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    4 Wasteland
    2 Badlands
    2 Bayou
    1 Swamp
    1 Riftstone Portal
    1 Bojuka Bog
    2 Maze of Ith
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    3 Thespian Stage
    2 Dark Depths
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Sideboard - 15
    2 Drop of Honey
    2 Chains of Mephistopheles
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Punishing Fire
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Karakas
    "The enemy is getting too close! Quick! Inflate the toad!"

Nov 2017
    France

@MrFrowny_

i was wondering how to adjust to the new meta after the summer bans. Increasing the number of Liliana is something i am testing right now. I am not sold on it yet but i think it is the good path. However, i am not fond of 'Liliana, the last hope', i find it weak but maybe i miss something about it.

I find Mirri's guile better than Library because it fits better in the curve.

I like the basic swamp and in my list i also added a basic forest. It is less usefull than the swamp but still quite handy against moon and back to basic.

I was wondering if i could cut decay from MD but i am not sold on it.

In the SB, i am not fond of Chains. I love the card, but i find it always akward when i test it (off tempo, or overkill, ...). 6 discards slots looks a lot but i guess it depends on your local meta.

Nov 2017
    France

I am coming back from a tournament today. The matchup were quite difficult :
    - Miracle
    - Red stompy
    - Sneak and Show
    - Mono Red Sneak Attack
    - Omnishow
    - Mono Red Sneak Attack

Here is the list i played :

4 Mox Diamond
    1 Nether Spirit
    3 Mirri's Guile
    2 Punishing Fire
    3 Entomb
    3 Crop Rotation
    2 Abrupt Decay
    3 Thespian's Stage
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Dark Depths
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Wasteland
    2 Maze of Ith
    2 Bayou
    2 Badlands
    1 Swamp
    1 Riftstone Portal
    1 Bojuka Bog
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Raven's Crime
    4 Smallpox
    4 Life from the Loam

Sideboard
    2 Molten Vortex
    2 Bitterblossom
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Ray of Revelation
    1 Coffin Purge
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Entomb
    1 Karakas
    3 Thoughtseize

My conclusions after the tournament :
    - I will put again 1 basic forest in the MD. It was an error to remove it and i missed it the whole day.
    - 2 Molten vortex in SB was a try for an alternate kill against moon decks. They shined and i will keep them.
    - 2 Bitterblossoms in SB was a try for an alternate kill against deck playing swords & path and rest in peace. I don't know yet and may try again.

I am really not happy how the deck went against show&tell / omnishow decks. The discard prove not to be enough. Any idea on how i could improve that matchup (omnishow especially) ?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Albarkhane View Post
    I am really not happy how the deck went against show&tell / omnishow decks. The discard prove not to be enough. Any idea on how i could improve that matchup (omnishow especially) ?

Thoughtseize
    Surgical Extraction

Discard is actually very good against S&T decks, but it needs to be cheap and early. Thoughtseize into Surgical Extraction is very, very good against them. I would strongly suggest finding a way to work in Thoughtseize maindeck, probably cutting 1x Loam, 1x Grove, and 1x Mirri's Guile to squeeze them in. Then you can actually put an extra 2-3x discard in the sideboard, such as Duress.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Nov 2017
    France

I like the surgical extraction idea. I gave it a quick try a few weeks ago but maybe i should give it a more serious try.

The decks i met at the last tournament were not exactly representative of my meta (i was just not very lucky with the pairings) so using about 6 sideboard slots against show&tell and similar decks sounds quite a lot. I am not sure if squeezing some discard MD is possible but i will test all you suggested.

Nov 2017
    France

On another topic, a new card was spoiled for Ravnica new block:

Assassin's trophy
    Instant BG
    Destroy target permanent an opponent controls. Its controller may search their library for a basic land card,
    put it on the battlefield, then shuffle their library.

I guess it can be a nice alternative to abrupt decay in Jund Depths as it can target much more various permanents (planeswalker, ...) . The basic land drawback is a small one in legacy. It can countered which is less nice and i guess the real drawback of that card (i mean, compared to decay).

Dec 2018
    Chapel Hill, NC

I am genuinely interested in playing this list. I have been playing magic a long time and legacy for about 6-7 years now and tried several different archetypes including burn, UR delver, Canadian Threshold, Grixis Delver, Esper mentor, and recently Tezzerator (which I’ve loved playing for the past year). I’m getting pretty tired of blue decks in general and I typically don’t like playing creatures which rules out a lot of the non blue archetypes. I’m curious how this deck lines up in the metagame currently and what are generally considered good or bad matchups? I imagine moon stompy sucks to play against and that show and tell can be troublesome. I’ve playtested with lands and pox in the past and liked both decks but not enough to really pursue building them. This seems to be a prison tool box deck similar to how tezz plays where you can tutor for the various pieces you need in the game. I really enjoy that kind of strategy. I only recently discovered this deck going back through old starcity coverage and it really caught my eye as deck I would enjoy playing.

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeastep View Post
    I am genuinely interested in playing this list. I have been playing magic a long time and legacy for about 6-7 years now and tried several different archetypes including burn, UR delver, Canadian Threshold, Grixis Delver, Esper mentor, and recently Tezzerator (which I’ve loved playing for the past year). I’m getting pretty tired of blue decks in general and I typically don’t like playing creatures which rules out a lot of the non blue archetypes. I’m curious how this deck lines up in the metagame currently and what are generally considered good or bad matchups? I imagine moon stompy sucks to play against and that show and tell can be troublesome. I’ve playtested with lands and pox in the past and liked both decks but not enough to really pursue building them. This seems to be a prison tool box deck similar to how tezz plays where you can tutor for the various pieces you need in the game. I really enjoy that kind of strategy. I only recently discovered this deck going back through old starcity coverage and it really caught my eye as deck I would enjoy playing.
    I don't have access to the cards any longer but I'd imagine it would be rougher than before. This deck punished Deathrite and Delver decks especially but I indeed always had a show and tell, D&T and Maverick problem. Compound that with Back to Basics and Blood Moon.. Ouch.

That being said I miss the hell out of this.
    Once you go Legacy...

Those land heavy lists should really, really be running a singleton Glacial Chasm. It solves a lot of problems.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Manroe View Post
    I don't have access to the cards any longer but I'd imagine it would be rougher than before. This deck punished Deathrite and Delver decks especially but I indeed always had a show and tell, D&T and Maverick problem. Compound that with Back to Basics and Blood Moon.. Ouch.

That being said I miss the hell out of this.
    I think the Jund Depths lists could use some tuning in light of how the metagame has shifted. My suggestion would be to max out on Abrupt Decay and run a few copies of Assassin's Trophy, along with a mix of Lilianas, with more copies of Liliana, the Last Hope than Liliana of the Veil. Liliana of the Veil is better if you expect to run into a bunch of True-Names, but Last Hope is superior against most other decks, and it's also a credible win condition. This is a real grindy deck, and that can be a disadvantage if one win condition is exiled or shut off in Game 3 and you're up against the clock. Surgicals are everywhere, so playing a slow, graveyard-based deck is ambitious. I would run Choke in the sideboard because Legacy is extremely blue-dominated right now, and that can prompt a concession if you resolve it against a tapped-out opponent.

Nov 2017
    France

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeastep View Post
    Show and tell is a difficult matchup but the real problem is omniscience actually. I tried 1 REB and 1 pyroblast in sideboard but could not test it enough to be 100% sure.

Moon decks used to be a problem for me but i solved it with basic swamp + basic forest + riftstone portal in main deck, i am also using 2 molten vortex in sideboard. With those technologies and the classical tools that are ran too, now i am sort of looking forward getting paired with moon decks.

Back to basics can be troublesome but one can easily turn around it.

Here is a very quick report of my last tornament with it :
    - R1 : UW control (miracle) : 2-0
    My opponent was a solid player but he was a bit unlucky in his draw. My only problem was the clock in the second game after marit lage got sworded 3 times. I feel the matchup is difficult but we are stronger.

- R2 : Merfolk : 2-1
    He stole one game with vial into fantasmal image that copy my attacking Marit Lage. Beside that, i was never in danger.

- R3 : Tribal wizard : 1-2
    I lost because of stupid mistakes. I was tired and not really in the game and paid for it.

- R4 : instant reanimate : 0-2
    My opponent had played jund depths for several years and i had never played ot tested against that deck. Logically i lost. I feel this matchup is difficult because our answers are not at instant speed.

- R5 : goblin : 2-1
    Some times he is too quick for us most of the time it is an easy win.

- R6 : MUD : 1-2
    I found no waste in the 3 games. I am not yet sure how the matchup is balanced but we need to find a quick kill.

- R7 : grixis control : 1-1-1
    The clock won ! With more time i guess i would have won. Not exactly sure about the matchup but i would say we are stronger.

Conclusion : not the best deck in the current meta but very fun to play with . One need to be very tight when playing it, any single error will cost the game.

Dec 2018
    Chapel Hill, NC

This is my current list:
    BRG lands:

Maindeck (60)
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 liliana of the last hope
    3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Assassin's Trophy
    3 Life from the Loam
    3 Punishing Fire
    4 Smallpox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond
    2 Bitterblossom
    2 Sylvan Library
    2 Badlands
    2 Bayou
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Dark Depths
    1 Forest
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Swamp
    1 Taiga
    3 Thespian's Stage
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard (15)
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Liliana of the veil
    1 Vraska, Golgari Queen
    2 Golgari Charm
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Choke
    4 Leyline of the Void

Went 2-2 at FNM 2 weeks ago.
    Round 1
    Lost 0-2 to storm. Turn 2 kill game 1 and game 2 I just never drew depths or LoV and he had abrupt decay.
    Round 2
    2-0 against some blue stew deck. Honestly don’t know what if it was grixis delver or control I had turn 1 chalice both games and just had a combo kill 2-3 turns later.
    Round 3
    Turbo depths 2-1. Lost quick game 1. Games 2 I had a fast combo and game 3 was a slog and I eventually got the combo off to win.
    Round 4
    Lost 1-2 to eldrazi not drawing any removal or a single small pox either game I lost. It was a brutal loss and my opponent was thoroughly surprised he won.
    The deck felt pretty good and I need way more testing.

Thread Information