Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jund Depths

Hybrid View

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

Punishing Pox

Hey All,

I am making a new legacy deck, and I like to be unique, so this is my take on Punishing Pox!
    I admit I am not a pro deckbuilder, but I would appreciate input on card choices and land base building. Without further ado:

2 Chandra, Pyromaster
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Smallpox
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Life from the Loam
    3 Wasteland
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Badlands
    3 Bayou
    1 Marsh Flats
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Graven Cairns
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    2 Mishra's Factory
    3 Swamp
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Pernicious Deed
    1 Nether Spirit
    3 Punishing Fire
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 Raven's Crime
    1 Nether Void
    2 Innocent Blood

//Sideboard
    SB: 2 Leyline of the Void
    SB: 2 Pyroblast
    SB: 2 Extirpate
    SB: 2 Dystopia
    SB: 2 Ratchet Bomb
    SB: 3 Spinning Darkness
    SB: 2 Toxic Deluge

EDIT: Fixed the Links!
    Once you go Legacy...

Re: Punishing Pox

Jul 2011
    Germany

Maybe 1-2 Entomb for a Toolbox and cut Chandra (she is bad...). With green for Life from the Loam, Decay and Deed you can also add 1 Garruk Relentless.

Sideboard:
    Toxic fights (mostly) small creature hordes, so why you need ratched bomb in a 3 color build? Krosan Grip or Maelstrom Pulse are solid options with green.
    I also don't like Spinning Darkness, you have Pox (traditional filled with removal), additional Punishing Fire and Abrupt Decays (and Sideboard Toxic).

EDIT: Something like this ;) ? Doesn't include a playset Liliana etc. so enough room for some flexible slots

2 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Smallpox
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Life from the Loam
    4 Wasteland
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Badlands
    2 Bayou
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    2 Mishra's Factory
    3 Swamp
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Pernicious Deed
    1 Nether Spirit
    4 Punishing Fire
    1 Nether Void
    2 Innocent Blood
    1 Garruk Relentless
    2 Cabal Therapy
    2 Mox Diamond
    1 Entomb
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Taiga

SB: 2 Trinisphere
    SB: 2 Thoughtseize
    SB: 3 Red Elemental Blast
    SB: 1 Toxic Deluge
    SB: 2 Golgari Charm
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 Relic of Progenitus
    SB: 2 Bitterblossom
    TEAM MtG Berlin

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

Quote Originally Posted by MD.Ghost View Post
    Maybe 1-2 Entomb for a Toolbox and cut Chandra (she is bad...). With green for Life from the Loam, Decay and Deed you can also add 1 Garruk Relentless.

Sideboard:
    Toxic fights (mostly) small creature hordes, so why you need ratched bomb in a 3 color build? Krosan Grip or Maelstrom Pulse are solid options with green.
    I also don't like Spinning Darkness, you have Pox (traditional filled with removal), additional Punishing Fire and Abrupt Decays (and Sideboard Toxic).

EDIT: Something like this ;) ? Doesn't include a playset Liliana etc. so enough room for some flexible slots

2 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Smallpox
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Life from the Loam
    4 Wasteland
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Badlands
    2 Bayou
    2 Mishra's Factory
    3 Swamp
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Pernicious Deed
    1 Nether Spirit
    4 Punishing Fire
    1 Nether Void
    2 Innocent Blood
    1 Garruk Relentless
    2 Cabal Therapy
    2 Mox Diamond
    1 Entomb
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Taiga

SB: 2 Trinisphere
    SB: 2 Thoughtseize
    SB: 3 Red Elemental Blast
    SB: 1 Toxic Deluge
    SB: 2 Golgari Charm
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 Relic of Progenitus
    SB: 2 Bitterblossom
    I agree, and I believe all of your points are valid for the most part. The ratchet bombs were just an idea to deal with Jace mostly, but Pulse is probably just better. Also, I really like bitterblossom here, good call. Is it good enough to be in the main or does punishing fire serve essentially the same purpose? Garruk does also seem really good here. One idea I was thinking about was Noetic Scales, This card seems fantastic in this deck. What do ya think?
    Once you go Legacy...

This is actually a pretty sweet idea. I don't have a whole lot of input other than this deck should be running the full set of lili. Liliana is already insane in pox. Being able to discard your pfire to her +1 every turn is just bonkers, and needs to happen as often as possible imo.

Cute idea though, let us know how it does in testing!

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

I worked from MD Ghost's list.
    Here is what I did:

2 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Smallpox
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Life from the Loam
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Pernicious Deed
    1 Nether Spirit
    4 Punishing Fire
    3 Innocent Blood
    2 Gamble

2 Mox Diamond
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Wasteland
    3 Badlands
    2 Bayou
    2 Mishra's Factory
    3 Swamp

Changes:
    -1 Garruk (simply too expensive)
    -1 Wasteland (27 mana sources, counting Mox, alongside 2 LftL are overkill even in a deck like Pox. I might be wrong about cutting 1 Wasteland, but in a 3 color deck without cantrips, colorless mana sources can be greedy.)
    -2 Therapy (there aren't enough dudes in this deck to make it a 2 for 1)
    -1 Entomb (--> Gamble)
    -1 Nether Void (CMC 4 is too much for a deck rocking Small Pox imo)
    -1 Taiga (--> Badlands // 13 remaining green sources are more than enough for 6 green spells total in the MD)

+1 Inquisition (more turn 1 plays are needed and Therapy is a crappy T1 play)
    +1 Liliana (yep, she's that good)
    +1 LftL (this engine makes the deck tick)
    +2 Gamble (might be a danger of cool things, but does look sexy on paper. Other than Entomb, it gives you more outs to more scenarios)
    +1 Innocent Blood
    +1 Badlands
    Last edited by klaus; 12-08-2013 at 05:04 PM.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Jund Depths

Thanks for making me look like an idiot whichever mod moved this.

1st place, SCG Indy 1/5/14 by Kennen Haas

//CREATURES-2
    1 Nether Spirit
    1 Squee, Goblin Nabob

//LANDS-30
    1 Badlands
    2 Bayou
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Taiga
    3 Thespian's Stage
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    2 Wooded Foothills
    1 Karakas
    2 Dark Depths

//SPELLS-28
    4 Liliana of the Veil
    4 Mox Diamond
    2 Crop Rotation
    4 Entomb
    1 Punishing Fire
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Life from the Loam
    1 Raven's Crime
    4 Smallpox

//SIDEBOARD-15
    3 Pithing Needle
    1 Sphere of Resistance
    1 Phyrexian Ingester
    1 Exploration
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Coffin Purge
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Punishing Fire
    1 Ray of Revelation
    2 Innocent Blood
    1 Maze of Ith

This deck looks very solid in the current meta if not a little soft to fast combo, although he did take down AnT in the top 4 somehow. I'm not sold on some of the numbers and would likely do a little tweaking if I were to play the deck but I believe Mr. Haas is on to something with this.

Rest in Peace can definitely be an issue but it's far from game ending. What do you think?
    Last edited by HammafistRoob; 01-07-2014 at 03:07 AM.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Re: Jund Depths

How do you plan to play around RiP?

It seems virtually impossible, unless you draw your stage+depths/a liliana gets to go ultimate.

Even an ultimated Liliana doesn't help all the time, they mentioned on the stream that he ultimated Lili twice vs Death and Taxes, and he split like Lands/Rip, D+T chose to keep RIP both times and then somehow won with Mother of Runes beats.

I'm sure you want some numbers of Decays in your 75. His SB plan of entombing into all kind of flashback solutions feels way too gimmicky for me. Other than that, very very sweet deck, definitely something I would play. Looking forward to his article on SCG.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

I'm also looking forward to the article on Thursday and will be adding it to the OP.

Rest in Peace is definitely pretty brutal. I also thought of Abrupt Decay as a very odd exclusion, it seems to be the perfect answer to the most problematic card. I'm not really huge on Urborg either, this deck is a little mana hungry but I don't like the idea of making my opponent's fetch lands tap for mana. I also think Crop Rotation should be bumped up to 3 and Punishing Fire should probably also be at least a 2 of. I'm also questioning how useful Raven's Crime actually is, it just seems a tad bit on the win-more side. This deck is so sick though.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Urborg is great here. You run a pile of lands that don't tap for anything and a bunch of non black lands. Urborg let's you play smallpox, Lily, and ravens crime much easier
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    I'm also looking forward to the article on Thursday and will be adding it to the OP.

Rest in Peace is definitely pretty brutal. I also thought of Abrupt Decay as a very odd exclusion, it seems to be the perfect answer to the most problematic card. I'm not really huge on Urborg either, this deck is a little mana hungry but I don't like the idea of making my opponent's fetch lands tap for mana. I also think Crop Rotation should be bumped up to 3 and Punishing Fire should probably also be at least a 2 of. I'm also questioning how useful Raven's Crime actually is, it just seems a tad bit on the win-more side. This deck is so sick though.
    Lack of AD seems weird, especially considering the deck's weakness to RiP. That would probably the first addition that needs to be made.

I wouldn't be too hasty with changes to the deck, though. E.g. Raven's Crime was pretty much the sole reason he beat ANT in the semifinals.

The deck is finally making some sense to me, just had coffee and now I can understand atleast half of the stuff that is going on with the deck. In all honesty, I've never been this excited to try a deck out for quite some time now. Congrats to Kenne Haas btw for the success in using this deck.

Played Jund Depths at GPT Paris last sunday. Got crushed twice by Sneaky Show and once by a BUG delver that came too fast with beats and disruption.
    What to do about Sneaky Show? Ignore and hope to dodge?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9195 met Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Man IDK, I don't write this bullshit. We all know WotC has some primo grass in its R&D Lair.

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

The reason that this deck will lose to sneak and show is that it basically has no clock. So even with a decent amount of disruption you are unlikely to win this matchup. I'm not really sure there's any way around this, besides boarding into a stronger combo deck.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

Nov 2007
    Germany

I don't think the Sneak and Show matchup is that horrible. Basically you need Karakas asap to force them to find Sneak Attack and multiple red mana. Karakas, Liliana and Smallpox makes Show and Tell sketchy. That can give you enough time to assemble Marit Lage or Raven's Crime. Post board there is Needle or you can mise wins with the reanimate plan. Sure, some stuff needs to go right but its not as hopeless as you make it sound.

Jan 2010
    Germany

I agree the MU looks pretty even to me. Postboard you should have 3+ Needle, 4 Crop Rotation to find Karakas plus up to 10 Edict effects if needed (4 Lilli, 4 Smallpox, 2 IB). I am actually even thinking about going up to 4 Needle since it´s also such a house against Miracles (naming Top) which is one of our toughest MUs.

Quote Originally Posted by Serbitar View Post
    I don't think the Sneak and Show matchup is that horrible. Basically you need Karakas asap to force them to find Sneak Attack and multiple red mana. Karakas, Liliana and Smallpox makes Show and Tell sketchy. That can give you enough time to assemble Marit Lage or Raven's Crime. Post board there is Needle or you can mise wins with the reanimate plan. Sure, some stuff needs to go right but its not as hopeless as you make it sound.
    Well, as stated above here, our clock is only fast if we can assemble DD combo in time.
    Unfortunately for me, in three out of 5 games against them, I had a Karakas in hand while they just played basic lands and Sneak Attack with that exact scenario.
    I feel Ensnarring Bridge wouldn't be bad in this match-up. Could still bash with Worm Harvest/Nether Spirit.
    Man IDK, I don't write this bullshit. We all know WotC has some primo grass in its R&D Lair.

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

Pithing Needle + Karakas is pretty close to a hard lock against Sneak and Show. If you can a Pyroblast or something to back it up then it should be near impossible for them to win. I'm pretty sure that the right direction for this deck is maxing on Loams, Gambles, Entombs, and Crop Rotations and being fully prepared to deploy a quick Marit Lage.

Fair enough. This was also how I felt about it until I got wiped out of contention 1-2 and 0-2, never drawing Needle, and only being able to combo twice. One time that did it, the other time opponent layed a Jace the turn before I can activate Thespian.
    The one game I stole was off of Raven's Crime making him hellbent needing to topdeck a creature for his Sneack Attack.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9195 met Tapatalk

Thread Information