Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Jund Depths

Re: Jund Depths

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphix View Post
    I have no practical experience with this deck, but the Entomb package always stood out to me as one of its biggest advantages over RG or RUG Lands. Why do you want to drop it?
    The downside of Entomb (and Faithless Looting) is the graveyard dependence. I'm trying to be more resilient against that - hence the Sylvan Libraries and the additional Crop Rotation.

Also I think of this deck as a cross between Pox and Lands. What I'm trying to build leans more heavily on the Lands side, so I'm resigned to give up some of the advantages of a classic Jund Depths.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

That is also 64 cards, intentional? Looks sweet though, gotta give it a try some time!
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    That is also 64 cards, intentional? Looks sweet though, gotta give it a try some time!
    Not intentional at all. I'm pretty sure I had exactly 60 sleeved up, but I can't confirm beaus I reset the deck to RUG yesterday for a local event (went 6-1, my first not loss was a concession in the final boss cause I had to leave early). I don't think I had two Urborgs, but I'm not sure what the other three extra cards were.

Either way, this makes it harder to refine the lists and make room for Libraries. :(

Edit - a 60 list:

1 Forest
    5 Fetches
    2 Bayou
    2 Taiga
    3 Grove
    1 Urborg
    1 Bog
    1 GQ
    4 Wasteland
    4 Port
    3 Maze
    1Tabernacle
    1 Chasm
    2 Depths
    3 Stage

4 Mox
    4 Exploration
    3 Loam
    2 Library
    2 Decay
    3 PFire
    2 Smallpox
    3 Gamble
    3 CR

SB
    4 Grip
    4 Sphere
    1 3Sphere
    1 Nether Void
    1 Chains Of Mephistopheles
    1 Bosieju
    1 Seismic Assault
    2 Molten Vortex
    Last edited by Crimhead; 03-14-2016 at 07:59 PM.

Hi Crim, I've paste-quoted here as it's probably more in place in the JundDepths thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    I really get the infatuation with Abrupt Decay.
    Grip is:
    • Easier to cast through Moon.
    • Able to kill SDT.
    • Almost as effective at killing C-B.
    • Able to killLeyline and other higher cc permanents
    • Able to catch Tormod's Crypt or Relic off guard.

I tend to think Long chose these (in part) becuase Vortex is less reliable the Punishing Grove and he needed more creature control. In decks running P.Fire, I don't think Decay is as good as Grip.
    Apart from the colour requirements, the only (major) advantage of MD Decays over Smallpox is that they free up SB space.
    You are right about Grip being better at all things Grip is ment to deal with.
    The big 'but' is that Decay is maindeckable because it's so flexible, giving a maindeck answer to problems we couldn't deal with before.
    Like counterbalance, Kotr, ensnaring bridge, chalice, even bloodmoon (the last three probably on the rise due to Eldrazi), but also DRS, which is probably the most problematic card game1.
    Increasing odd's of winning game 1 is a huge bonus over Kgrip, although Kgrip is better in what it does.

Long had six feches, one Bayou, four Mox, and a Bog. Adding just one more Bayou makes 13 sources. Would that be enough?
    I actually don't know, but I suspect that it's not.
    I was a bit hasty in comparing LOng's and Haas list, actually Long had 8 lands with access to black instead of 7 (in comparison to Haas 13).
    But both run 4 mox diamonds, so the total amount of black sources is 12 vs 17.
    Haas has so many black sources as he really needs double black while saccing his own lands to smallpox.
    Ofcourse if you go down on the number of smallpoxes, you could afford less, somewhere between 12 and 17.
    But it would suck hardtime to hold a gamedefining smallpox, while lacking the double black to cast it, so it's probably closer to 17 than 12.

I think if I skip the Lilis and Pox 3&4 I shouldn't have to cut those utility lands.
    As I said, I think MD Decays are largely motivated by the need for more creature control in decks without PF.
    Smallpox does that just as well, so it makes perfect sense to consider them in the Decay slots (I'm advocating a split).
    With the 2-2 split I'll need more SB slots for Grips or extra Decays.
    I think a way to solve the double-black issue is to run 4 crop rotations, and croprotate for Urborg when necessary.
    Urborg is also nice to combo out with only three lands (Depths-Stage-Urborg), so perhaps its a good idea to build around multiple Depths, Stages, and crops.
    Although it's probably not the best construction of the deck, I've always wanted to play it with 4 Sinkholes.
    Actually making it an extreme manadenial deck, with wasteland, smallpox and sinkhole, and having access to Tabernacle through croprotation.

I'd like to give something like this a spin (although sinkhole might be a bad idea in these times of mana-efficiency )
    3 depths
    4 Stage
    4 waste
    3 Bayou
    1 swamp
    1 Urborg
    1 Cabal Pit
    4 verdant catacombs
    2 Barren Moor
    1 Taiga
    3 Groves
    1 Maze
    1 Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

2 Loam
    2 Library
    1 Pfire
    2 ABrupt Decay
    4 entomb
    4 Crop rotation
    4 smallpox
    4 Sinkhole
    1 Nether Spirit
    4 Mox
    3 exploration

Thanks for the reply! I don't check this thread very often - sorry I'm late.

The reason I've been posting in the other thread is that Im a Lands player through and through. I want 34+ lands (with Ports and Mazes) and 4 Explorations. I'm happy to discuss here though! My desire for Smallpox is pretty nonstandard for RGCL, and this might be a better thread for brewing anyway.

You're spot on regarding Decay vs Grip. Decay is far better MD where it's virtually never a dead card. It's not Grip, but it goes where Grip cannot. Don't know why I didn't see that, thanks.

Crop Rotation into Smallpox is a rough play because now I'm giving up four cards (CR, SP, discarded card, plus the two we lose to SP) for their three. Maybe that's okay, considering our strong recursion. Either way you are right that I need more black.

What if I take the list I have bellow and replace the Punishing Fires with Molten Vortices? That gives me three new land slots (maybe an Urborg, a Cabal Pit, and another fetch or Badlands) for a total of eleven black mana producing lands. It would give me more side board space too, which is huge.

My other issue is that if I make my list looks a bit like Long's but +2 Smallpox and -2 Decay, and with more black lands at the cost of fewer combo lands (Depths and Stages). Does my build have enough control to survive the slower game plan?

Thanks for the reply! I don't check this thread very often - sorry I'm late.

The reason I've been posting in the other thread is that Im a Lands player through and through. I want 34+ lands (with Ports and Mazes) and 4 Explorations. I'm happy to discuss here though! My desire for Smallpox is pretty nonstandard for RGCL, and this might be a better thread for brewing anyway.

You're spot on regarding Decay vs Grip. Decay is far better MD where it's virtually never a dead card. It's not Grip, but it goes where Grip cannot. Don't know why I didn't see that, thanks.

Crop Rotation into Smallpox is a rough play because now I'm giving up four cards (CR, SP, discarded card, plus the two we lose to SP) for their three. Maybe that's okay, considering our strong recursion. Either way you are right that I need more black.
    It will be more peaceful here to brew, and you're right about the crop into Urborg, if it's meant for having double black for smallpox, the 3-for-1 effect is kinda lost

What if I take the list I have bellow and replace the Punishing Fires with Molten Vortices? That gives me three new land slots (maybe an Urborg, a Cabal Pit, and another fetch or Badlands) for a total of eleven black mana producing lands. It would give me more side board space too, which is huge.

My other issue is that if I make my list looks a bit like Long's but +2 Smallpox and -2 Decay, and with more black lands at the cost of fewer combo lands (Depths and Stages). Does my build have enough control to survive the slower game plan?
    I don't think the 3 Molten Vortices (nice plural) saves you place. Because you probably do need three taiga to really abuse them, and four loams. That's a package of 10cards. Punishing fire can be tutored with gamble/entomb, so I think you only need one along with the smallpoxes and Decays. With all the nonrecurring spells I think 3 loams suffice, especially if you plan on including 2 Libraries. And 1 taiga should be enough. So that gives a package of 8 cards (1 Pfire, 3 grove, 3 loams, 1 taiga), saving place for some black mana.

I do think you need about 15 black sources, and I also feel like you have to play 4 smallpoxes if you splash that amount of black. What do you think about this 61cards list (11 black lands, 13 green, 10 red / when counting moxen its 15 black - 17 green - 14 red):

34 lands:
    2 Dark Depths
    3 Thespian's Stage
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    5 fetchables (1 Forest / 1 Badlands / 1 Taiga / 2 Bayou)
    5 fetches (4 Wooded Foothills / 1 Verdant Catacombs)
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    2 cyclers (1 Tranquil Thicket / 1 Barren Moor)
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Bojuka Bog
    3 Maze of Ith
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

27 spells:
    3 Life from the Loam
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Punishing Fire
    2 Abrupt Decay
    4 Smallpox
    4 Gamble
    3 Croprotation
    4 Exploration
    4 Mox Diamond

It doesn't have Glacial Chasm, but with all the additional removal in smallpoxes, I think it's less obligatory. I'll playtest it too later this month, curious of how it will feel like. Although I was really looking forward to play with some sinkholes again!

Your list looks interesting, and I might try it.

I've been goldfishing this and it seems like it might fly. I'm about to test it, I'll let you know in a dsyvor two:

34 lands:
    2 Dark Depths
    3 Thespian's Stage
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    5 fetchables (1 Forest / 2 Taiga / 2 Bayou)
    6 fetches
    2 Barren Moor
    1 Chasm
    1 Cabal Pit
    1 Bojuka Bog
    3 Maze of Ith

26spells:
    3 Life from the Loam
    2 Sylvan Library
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Smallpox
    3 Gamble
    3 Crop Rotation
    3 Molten Vortex
    4 Exploration
    4 Mox Diamond
    Last edited by Crimhead; 04-02-2016 at 10:39 AM.

@crimhead I've been brewing with a similar list. Mostly just did a couple games here and there as well as some goldfishing vs combo/delver /midrange matchups. I haven't tried smallpox much, but it definitely feels like decay md is doing a lot of work making some bad matchups a bit better (killing cb/more ways to kill drs/goyf/etc).

I've opted to not run any cycle lands atm, instead replacing them with libraries. Cutting loam down to 3 is interesting, since that's what I typically do vs combo matchups anyways, but seems like it may be a bit loose if we go down the long game.

Lands (31)
    4x Rishadan Port
    4x Wasteland
    4x Thespian's Stage
    2x Dark Depths
    4x Windswept Heath
    1x Wooded Foothills
    2x Bayou
    1x Taiga
    1x Forest
    3x Grove of the Burnwillows
    2x Maze of Ith
    1x The Tabernacle at Pendrell vale
    1x Glacial Chasm
    1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Spells (29)
    4x Abrupt Decay
    4x Crop Rotation
    3x Punishing Fire
    3x Entomb
    1x Gamble
    4x Exploration
    4x Mox Diamond
    2x Sylvan Library
    1x Gamble
    4x Life from the Loam

SB (11 fixed, 4 flex)
    4x Sphere of Resistance
    1x Bojuka Bog
    1x Dark Depths
    4x Thoughtseize
    1x Duress

flex:
    2x Thorn of Amethyst
    1x Worm Harvest
    1x Krosan Grip

I think that it's safe to cut maze down to 2 given the additional removal in the md. I'm not completely convinced on the smallpox route tbh--even though that is the main draw to this particular version. I feel like BB is extremely hard to achieve and often leads to dead cards stranded in hand. I currently prefer entomb over gamble because there are so many non-recursive reactive pieces of the deck with the addition of decays that gamble becomes less attractive. I also become less focused on red and prioritize bayou over taiga with my early fetches.

Library has been amazing in the deck since I've removed the cycle lands (never been the biggest fan since it really increases your dependence on loam). I'm trying to fit in the 3rd depths main--maybe for a port or the 4th loam.

Let me know how your testing goes though. Cabal pit seems interesting, but too slow to turn on vs most decks to be relevant.

Your list looks interesting, and I might try it.

I've been goldfishingvthiscand it seems like it might fly. I'm about to test it, I'll let you know in a dsyvor two:
    Interesting, curious about your testing results!

I do wonder why only two smallpoxes. Because we're really cutting down on other aspects of the deck to reliably have double black, it feels a pity to only use that for just two cards. By the way, you have 13 (17 with moxes) black sources, that should really be enough. But keep an eye on your green sources as well! I'm sure we need just as much green lands as regular RG, which is 13 (17 counting moxen).

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

What is the best ratio Fetchables/ Fetch? More fetch or equal to Fetchables?
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

We got a late start last weekend - and were interrupted by non-gamer company. I did manage to get several games in, but other than the not-so-profound discovery that High Tide is still effectively unbeatable (even with three Smallpox main and thirteen cards brought in), I only got to play against Elves.

Those Elves games were less than impressive, but mostly due to bad draws. This was not limited to being mana-scewed two out of eight or nine games I played. One game I put out a turn one Mox, Exploration, Vortex, Taiga, and Port. I couldn't play my library because I kept needing to Port down his Cradle. I drew two more Mox, another Vortex, and another Library - no fuel for Vortex and no mana. :(

I did have some successfully game. Vortex was good, but it sucked to Dredge. Smallpox was a bomb, but I think I only drew it twice. I didn't really fix my sideboard before hand. No Thoughtseizes, which would have complimented Smallpox I think. I did alright post board besides - I didn't take very much out because everything seemed so good in that match (or else desperately needed, like my engine). I think I took out the Mazes and a Bog for a Chalice, two Spheres and a Nethervoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivfader View Post
    I do wonder why only two smallpoxes. Because we're really cutting down on other aspects of the deck to reliably have double black, it feels a pity to only use that for just two cards. By the way, you have 13 (17 with moxes) black sources, that should really be enough. But keep an eye on your green sources as well! I'm sure we need just as much green lands as regular RG, which is 13 (17 counting moxen).
    I added a third Smallpox, and am now at 61 cards. I'm okay with this because probably 10-15% of the time I run 61 cards in Lands builds anyway, plus I'm testing things and can always make cuts later.

I'm running two more black sources than green, and considering switching one up to make sixteen each. Colour hasn't been an issue very much though (but myvtestingbofvcourse has been limited). One gamecibkept a hand with Smallpox andconlybone black source. Luckily I drew a Bayou on time to for turn three. And once while goldfishing I had to toss an otherwise beautiful hand that had no green source but did have a Barren Moor.

While on the one hand I'm not really worried about colour, I am aware of the high opportunity cost to achieve this consistency. That's why I like Pit vs Urborg number two. It gives me something extra besides just .

Quote Originally Posted by somethingdotdotdot View Post
    I've opted to not run any cycle lands atm, instead replacing them with libraries. Cutting loam down to 3 is interesting, since that's what I typically do vs combo matchups anyways, but seems like it may be a bit loose if we go down the long game...

...Cabal pit seems interesting, but too slow to turn on vs most decks to be relevant.
    I need the Cycle lands and/or Pits to top-off my black mana. I guess I could run another Urborg. I think I can afford the slower set-up for Cabal Pit because I have plenty of defended to get there.

Regarding Libraries and Loans, my idea (actually Rivfader's idea I stole) was to put two Libraries in as replacements for the Fourth Loam and Gamble. This is a less powerful engine, but perhaps more resilient to graveyard hate. I particularly like it with Vortex. Vortex likes to be drawn - not dredged away or lost to Gamble. Also part of Vortex's appeal is that (unlike PF) it plays through yard hate - but without Loam it could still use a boost!

That said, I do feel the loss of raw power, and might put these in the board as a more Smallpox compatible replacement for Bob. They're also not very good with Chains Of Mephistophelese, it turns out.

I tend to compare my build to David Long's, only mine is significantly blacker. Ignoring the Libraries vs Loam/Gamble #4, I'm:

+3 Smallpox
    +2 Barren Moor
    +1 Bayou
    +1 Urborg
    + 1 Cabal Pit

-2 Thicket
    -1Taiga
    -1 Decay
    -1 Crop Rotation
    -1 Depths
    -1 Stage

Also I'm 61 cards.

Basically in order to accommodate Smallpox, I'm giving up a little colour consistence (not so bad), and overall consitency from the extra card (also not so bad). The real loss seems to be speed. Losing a Stage, Depths, and Rotation maybe isn't worth the benefits of Smallpox - two of which come at the additional cost of running one fewer Decay, and an extra card (which could also have been a Decay, or anything, or nothing).

I'm not all doom and despair though! This build is considerably more control driven than Long's, and as a (primarily) RUG player I feel okay giving up some combo speed for some extra control. I'll continue to test. NProbably I'm just gonna chicken out and RUG it up at tomorrow's tournament. I know that deck better and probably play it better, plus I want to test my build just a little more first.

Thanks for the interest and input.
    Last edited by Crimhead; 04-08-2016 at 11:24 AM.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

I think for most of you running the more lands oriented version of this deck might just be better off running RGb combo lands, a pox shell is probably not where you want to be. I don't think that the lands approach really works well with this deck at least if we are talking about the version that OP came up with and Ken Haas is known for doing well with. This deck is geared more towards resource denial (duh it is built with the pox shell) as opposed to constantly making 20/20s like what RG lands does. I also disagree with a lot of you dropping entombs, entomb is actually insane in this deck. It's pretty much the equivalent of gamble in RG lands and has a little more synergy with the deck than gamble. It feels like even in games where people are boarding in RIP you can do so much without even utilizing the graveyard.

I'm still learning the deck so do take my comments with a grain of salt. It looks like Ken Haas has also done well with the deck recently. I have been playing a slightly modified version of one of his old lists since I am a 1 tabernacle pleb and a baby afraid of blood moon.

1 Nether Spirit

2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Punishing Fire
    3 Crop Rotation
    4 Entomb
    1 Raven's Crime
    4 Life from the Loam
    4 Smallpox
    3 Mirri's Guile
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    4 Mox Diamond

1 Bojuka Bog
    2 Badlands
    2 Bayou
    2 Dark Depths
    2 Maze of Ith
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Thespian's Stage
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    4 Wasteland
    1 Swamp

1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Coffin Purge
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Krosan Grip
    2 Ray of Revelation
    1 Flame Jab
    2 Innocent Blood
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Phyrexian Ingester
    2 Abrupt Decay

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I think for most of you running the more lands oriented version of this deck might just be better off running RGb combo lands, a pox shell is probably not where you want to be. I don't think that the lands approach really works well with this deck at least if we are talking about the version that OP came up with and Ken Haas is known for doing well with. This deck is geared more towards resource denial (duh it is built with the pox shell) as opposed to constantly making 20/20s like what RG lands does.
    I play RGCL occasionally to mix it up or to meta-game. But mostly I play RUGb Lands. So for me Lands is primarily a resource denial control deck - I usually only need to make the token once.

The list I've been playing with looks like RGBCL but runs less combo and more control (Smallpox + Cabal Pit). I don't run Lilis or Raven's Crime, but I have Ports plus the extra Maze (and Explorations to get them going), so I think I have as much control as Haas' list does.

Not to say anything against Haas or his deck, but I don't see that trying to run Explorations and a more land heavy build is a bad idea. I haven't had much testing yet, but at the very least it runs pretty smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I also disagree with a lot of you dropping entombs, entomb is actually insane in this deck. It's pretty much the equivalent of gamble in RG lands and has a little more synergy with the deck than gamble. It feels like even in games where people are boarding in RIP you can do so much without even utilizing the graveyard.
    You can certainly do a lot. But what you can't do is cast Entomb! Entomb is of less value if I'm running Vortexes instead of PFs and Flame Jab (and no Raven's Crime).

Took Jund Depths with and without the Reanimator sideboard to GP Charlotte for side events.

For the straight list, went 6-2 combined over two events (or maybe 5-3, did two 2-1-1 ID's), for Reanimator went 7-1 over 2 events, for 16-4 in games.

This list felt way more explosive and controlling than the Lands matchups I've watched; way less durdly especially when in Reanimator mode. My matches were over in 20-30 minutes, but I did play a lot of fast or lopsided matchups anyway. Extra tutor effects with Entomb in addition to Crops and Gambles got me out of a ton of situations when I didn't have Loam targets or Reanimate effects. Having a ton of options game 1 for stuff like Raven's Crime against combo or Bojuka Bog against Dredge/Lands was very good, and Smallpox of course acting as both creature control and discard against Combo was great. I did side it out most games though.

I would of course drop The Abyss for something more effective, but I had just gotten it that weekend. I wasn't too pleased with Sire of Insanity but I don't think my matchups were that great for it. I think one Animate Dead should definitely be Unburial Rites just to have an Entombable or dredged reanimate spell.

I can't remember all of the matchups for Day 1.

Straight:

Dnt 2-0 (Smallpox is king)
    Belcher 2-1
    4c Delver 1-2
    Punishing Maverick 2-0

?
    ?
    ?
    ?

Reanimator:
    MUD 2-1 (sideboard Port helped keep his sol lands in check while Wasteland could do work)
    Elves 2-0 (reanimate Iona, not sure necessary)
    Belcher 2-0
    DnT 2-0 (Smallpox King)

12 Post 2-0 (show and tell Griselbrand, drawing 7 got me Exploration for followup Marit Lage)
    Dredge 2-0 (Crop Rot Bojuka Bog won games, in an extra game, reanimate Griselbrand could've stabilized if I found Crop or Tabernacle against 8 zombies and a Grave Troll)
    Belcher 2-0 (didn't have Crop, reanimate Griselbrand against 12 Goblins turn 1 won the race)
    RG Lands 0-2 (sloppy play w/ ID beforehand, still hard match. His mainboard Ghost Quarter was a winner game 1 and made me take an awkward losing route with Liliana. Reanimate Iona nearly got there on Green game 2 except for a Gamble for a 50/50 shot on Crucible, maybe should have gotten Griselbrand).

1 Badlands
    2 Bayou
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Cabal Pit
    2 Dark Depths
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Riftstone Portal
    1 Swamp
    1 Taiga
    3 Thespian's Stage
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    1 Ghost Quarter

2 Abrupt Decay
    3 Crop Rotation
    4 Entomb
    3 Exploration (1 was mana bond originally for the first 2 events, bought and swapped for Reanimate day)
    2 Gamble
    3 Life from the Loam
    4 Liliana of the Veil
    4 Mox Diamond
    1 Nether Spirit
    2 Punishing Fire
    1 Raven's Crime
    3 Smallpox

Sideboard:

2 Tireless Tracker (never saw)
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Karakas
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Pithing Needle
    3 Sphere of Resistance
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Worm Harvest (didn't use)

Reanimator:

-1 Ghost Quarter from main to go to 60 cards

Sideboard:
    4 Reanimate
    2 Animate Dead (1 should've been Unburial Rites but I forgot it)
    1 Griselbrand
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Sire of Insanity

1 Karakas
    2 Krosan Grip
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 The Abyss (because yolo)
    1 Rishadan Port
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Glanced at the first few pages and thought that Cabal Therapy could actually be interesting here. Raven's Crime is definitely better overall, but in a build that runs Worm Harvest and Nether Spirit, you can profitably run 3-4 Cabal Therapies to not only have early discard pressure, but also flash them back mid/late game after you've dredged them over.

Or you can Gamble/Entomb a Therapy as necessary and flashback with an active Nether Spirit in a pinch.

Also considering a different sideboard technique of boarding in 4 Tireless Trackers, 2 Smokestacks, Worm Harvest, and go into an abominable Stax Lands deck, with Buried Ruin to recollect artifacts, Tracker to gain you a bunch of Clues to sac to Stax, and effects like Exploration and Harvest to further flood the board with Stax permanents. The intent would be to go even further down the Pox attrition plan in the slower matchups like Miracles and perhaps Lands.
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

I took a modified version of my list to a local 11 person GPT, ended up going 2-2 (plus the Bye). Weird meta of 3 lands decks (including myself)

0-2 Burn: Deck decided to not cooperate and I drew 2 of my 28 lands in each game. Smallpox didn't help either but it did slow Burn down a little.
    0-2 BUG Lands Control: Deck could not stabilize. Was able to almost fight through Surgicals on Loam, Bojuka Bog on my everything, and a Liliana Ultimate through timely Bogs of my own, Nether Spirit, and Pithing Needles, but couldn't get my feet set in either game.
    1-0-1 Cloudpost: Got a quick game 1 off of entombing for Loam and then Gambling and Crop Rotating for both combo pieces to swing Marit Lage turn 5. Game 2 was just bizarre, featuring surgicals on Loam and Wasteland, Rishadan Port tying down colored and then cloudpost mana, the Abyss taking down Prime Time, Liliana Ultimate to remove colored lands, then Ugin wiping out a Liliana, Abyss, and Exploration. Ended up whiffing on an end of turn Crop Rotation -> Marit Lage by forgetting that Ugin can exile Lage and not taking him out, but luckily won the match by drawing out.
    2-1 BR Griselbrand Reanimator: Lucked into a win here with a slow game 1 that let me get a natural swinging turn 5 Lage, chumped by an animated Griselbrand. Was able to turn 1 gamble into Bojuka Bog but it wasn't super necessary. Lost game 2 in spectacular turn 1 fashion. Game 3 lucked into having Karakas, Loam, and Nether Spirit in hand. Played Karakas to discourage a legendary reanimation so he went for Sire of Insanity. Spirit was able to chump block the rest of the game and was able to dredge into the combo in short fashion.

Not a ton of info to be gained but entertaining nonetheless.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

I try and play every flavor of Lands and was intrigued by living wish since I hate having useless lands in my opening hand.
    The wish board is rather interesting in that it offers real protection from surgical extraction effects.
    and since my SB is very important, i'll list it first.

The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    Ghost Quarter
    Karakas
    Riftstone Portal
    Academy Ruins
    Boseiju, Who Shelters All
    Wasteland
    Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    Thespian's Stage
    Dark Depths
    Maze of Ith
    Bojuka Bog
    Tireless Tracker
    Vampire Hexmage
    Glacial Chasm

Main Deck

4 Living Wish

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Grove of the Burnwilllows
    1 Forest
    1 Taiga
    4 Fetches
    2 Bayou
    3 Wasteland
    3 Thespian's Stage
    2 Dark Depths
    1 Maze of Ith

4 Mox Diamond

4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    1 Smokestack

3 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Zuran Orb

3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Punishing Fire

3 Life from the Loam
    1 Crucible of Worlds

1 Nether Spirit
    1 Worm Harvest

This is the list I ran last night for a 2-1-1, third place finish.
    I spent some of my accrued credit and got a Leovold, emissary of trest for my Shardless Bug deck.

The ensnaring bridges and the zuran orb were the flex spots.
    If you don't run zuran Orb, then maybe take out glacial chasm from the SB since you can't really enjoy a chasm lock.

The flex spots could come out and be replaced by smallpox or Liliana of the veil but then I would see a need for more Urborg, tomb of yawgmoth.
    Most of the games turned into a grind with wins by spirit or worms under a bridge.
    One opponent said something about watching "paint dry" until I hit the worm harvest and I replied something like, "yeah, red, green and black paint".
    However, Omniscience can still blow you out on turn two, even with a chalice of the void on "1".

I still run one Academy Ruins in the SB without a dedicated Island since it can win a long stall with a Mox Diamond or a Thespian's Stage that has copied a blue source.

I can see a need for engineered explosives for blowing up your own bridge to attack with marit lage.
    At least once, I used my own abrupt decay to blow up my bridge and attack with marit lage.
    Engineered Explosives also has a benefit in that there are no 1 or 2 cmc permanents in this list.
    It would take some effort but without cards like tolaria west there is no way to reliably get engineered explosives and set up something recursive with Academy ruins.

@non-inflammable: List looks great but I would add more anti combo wish targets. Hexmage and stage add flexibility but it's redundant. Faerie macabre is a good option, better then bog I'd say. Revoker is good vs sneak attack and heritage Druid and vial. Vs ant and show and tell I'm not sure but I'd want something.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Vs ant and show and tell I'm not sure but I'd want something.
    The ant match-up should be good with 4 chalice and 3 trinisphere main deck.
    Show and Tell could maybe use an Ashen Rider?

excellent suggestion for revoker, totally forgot about him and faerie macabre is a very good inclusion, as well.
    There is at least one player on B/R reanimator.

I'd drop from my SB the Riftstone Portal and maybe the Tireless Tracker and Boseiju?
    Tracker was there just for drawing cards once a board stall happened.

At a table next to me last night, an omni-show player never let Ashen Rider's exile happen with firemind's foresight into release the ants.

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    The ant match-up should be good with 4 chalice and 3 trinisphere main deck.
    Show and Tell could maybe use an Ashen Rider?

excellent suggestion for revoker, totally forgot about him and faerie macabre is a very good inclusion, as well.
    There is at least one player on B/R reanimator.

I'd drop from my SB the Riftstone Portal and maybe the Tireless Tracker and Boseiju?
    Tracker was there just for drawing cards once a board stall happened.

At a table next to me last night, an omni-show player never let Ashen Rider's exile happen with firemind's foresight into release the ants.
    Yeah that can happen but I'm guessing there is maybe 1 person on that deck in your meta. If there's multiple omni-tell-wish lists Iona might be worth considering. I miss omni-tell .

Thread Information