Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Jund Depths

Re: Jund Depths

For those who don't know, it does have some merits to read the first page of a thread.. specially when it started this very day and only contains 2 pages.

Edit: My post made more sense (even if it wasnt benefical) before the 2 threads were emerged.
    Last edited by Holly; 01-06-2014 at 03:57 PM.

I really wish I could "like" Holly's a post on here. This list does seem really sweet, but I am also on the same boat with the value of Squee in the deck.

I get that he has a million applications and perhaps that is enough to merit his inclusion, but it feels like swapping it for an additional Punishing Fire or something similar would be decent.

Punishing Fire can also provide food for Lilly and can also remove attackers as opposed to just chumping every turn. Also, the inclusion of the second Punishing Fire can allow the deck to kill x/4s as opposed to x/3s with the Squee/Punishing Fire configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by nodahero View Post
    I really wish I could "like" Holly's a post on here. This list does seem really sweet, but I am also on the same boat with the value of Squee in the deck.

I get that he has a million applications and perhaps that is enough to merit his inclusion, but it feels like swapping it for an additional Punishing Fire or something similar would be decent.

Punishing Fire can also provide food for Lilly and can also remove attackers as opposed to just chumping every turn. Also, the inclusion of the second Punishing Fire can allow the deck to kill x/4s as opposed to x/3s with the Squee/Punishing Fire configuration.
    I really wish people would test for a while and listen to post-trophy interview before making comments like above. He's using Entomb as tutor, PFire, Squee, Nether Spirit are all tutoring packages. There're No merits, other than the fear of DRS in game 1, to have duplicate Entomb targets. If you bother to watch the coverage, the deck doesn't care about the power/toughness of opponent's creature. Doesn't matter if it's True-Name or Goyf, Small Pox and Liliana are meant to take care of it.

I've mentioned it before and I'll mention it again. Do some tests for a while, before suggesting MD changes.

Jun 2013
    St. Louis, Missouri.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I wonder how the deck performs against Elves. Golgari Charm might have some merit here, too. It can get rid of pesky X/1s (including TNN) and destroys the problematic enchantments.
    Two of my buddies have elf decks, and I have experience playing my list vs. them. I can tell you honestly, it kind of comes down to a couple of things.
    1) Who wins the die roll.
    2) Do we have mox diamond?

I had been running a MB darkblast since there are 2 elf decks in my meta and the golgari charms in the board are helpful for leyline of sanctity, TNN, and elves too!
    Once you go Legacy...

My point is anything that Squee does that I can see, I'm at work so I can't watch any videos ATM, Punishing Fire also does.

The only pro I see in Squee over a Fire is that it requires the shaman to have access to green to RFG him. I am not concerend with Surgical Extraction.

Would you be kind enough to explain to us why Squee is so important? Even if I played him I would bet I would go for Fire over Squee because I can't think of a pro over Fire. Especially because I just realised that StP is a real thing and that would also make Fire better.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I wonder how the deck performs against Elves. Golgari Charm might have some merit here, too. It can get rid of pesky X/1s (including TNN) and destroys the problematic enchantments.
    ALternatively there is Devastating Dreams. Slides right into a loam deck nice and easy. I agree that the Main deck looks really solid. I wouldn't tough it at all. You dont care about DRS too much because you run PFires, Small Poxes, Innocent Bloods. Just infinite removal.

I understand that he was able to beat RIP twice on cam without actually removing it, but it definitely powered down the deck, and he did have to get a bit lucky. I think Decay in the board seems fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

My point is anything that Squee does that I can see, I'm at work so I can't watch any videos ATM, Punishing Fire also does.

The only pro I see in Squee over a Fire is that it requires the shaman to have access to green to RFG him. I am not concerend with Surgical Extraction.

Would you be kind enough to explain to us why Squee is so important? Even if I played him I would bet I would go for Fire over Squee because I can't think of a pro over Fire. Especially because I just realised that StP is a real thing and that would also make Fire better.
    Squee is like a second Nether Spirit in that it returns itself for free every upkeep, can chump block like a champ, pitches to Faithless/Liliana, Can even bring the pain once in awhile. Basically it is the 2nd Nether SPirit, except you run Squee because 2 Nether SPirits, if they ever both got into the yard would turn each other off. Squee allows you to run the additional effect without actually hurting your Spirit.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Squee is like a second Nether Spirit in that it returns itself for free every upkeep, can chump block like a champ, pitches to Faithless/Liliana, Can even bring the pain once in awhile. Basically it is the 2nd Nether SPirit, except you run Squee because 2 Nether SPirits, if they ever both got into the yard would turn each other off. Squee allows you to run the additional effect without actually hurting your Spirit.
    Better than Nether Spirit, because you can pitch it to Small Pox also, while Nether most likely is not in your hand.

If you would go for Fire over Squee/Spirit, that shows how ignorant and how little experience you have, to actually test this deck. Not even test, you don't seemed to have watched the recordings at all. The deck runs 4 Faithless and 4 Small Pox. As seen in the recordings, there were lots of Faithless play and Small Pox play. As matter of fact, you don't see much PFire actions at all, not until Haas has gradually assembled his Mana base and eventually get to Grove. Why would you waste your first Entomb on PFire when you don't have Grove yet, and most likely holding Faithless and/or Small Pox in hand?

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    Better than Nether Spirit, because you can pitch it to Small Pox also, while Nether most likely is not in your hand.

If you would go for Fire over Squee/Spirit, that shows how ignorant and how little experience you have, to actually test this deck. Not even test, you don't seemed to have watched the recordings at all. The deck runs 4 Faithless and 4 Small Pox. As seen in the recordings, there were lots of Faithless play and Small Pox play. As matter of fact, you don't see much PFire actions at all, not until Haas has gradually assembled his Mana base and eventually get to Grove. Why would you waste your first Entomb on PFire when you don't have Grove yet, and most likely holding Faithless and/or Small Pox in hand?
    Not to mention good with Liliana as well.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

With Small Pok Bloods, and Liliana, PFire isn't as needed as in normal lands deck, hence why it is a tutor target rather than a 3-4 of.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I can't wait to read the article, I am curious why the SB has Phyrexian Ingester over Duplicant (it's easier to cast, should you have to) and Innocent Blood over Chainer's Edict (flashback, has synergies with Entomb and Loam).

I am getting my hands on a Nether Spirit, then going to try this out. I'm only short the second Tabernacle, so I think it should still work alright.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

I never got to watch the stream and cannot aotm since its NSFW can someone kindly tell me how does the deck win? I am interested in sleeving this up when I get home since I have most of the cards available.

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

The deck typically wins with setting up Thespian's stage + dark depths. Sometimes this can happen quickly if you get the right draw, but usually this is slowly put together after grinding the opponent out.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

The deck is finally making some sense to me, just had coffee and now I can understand atleast half of the stuff that is going on with the deck. In all honesty, I've never been this excited to try a deck out for quite some time now. Congrats to Kenne Haas btw for the success in using this deck.

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    I've mentioned it before and I'll mention it again. Do some tests for a while, before suggesting MD changes.
    I've been testing this deck for about a month. If you dont believe me you can check the dates on the earlier posts in the thread. Do I have your permission to suggest changes to the deck?

Just because this particular list won doesnt mean it's the perfect list. I've been playing with a lot of the flex spots and have had success with a singleton worm harvest, and darkblast. I also really like a deed in the maindeck. Devastating dreams has also been solid in testing. The most glaring thing I've noticed is the lack of the singleton barren moor which has been an allstar for us in testing.

I've also tested a version with burning wish and it was fairly successful. Having 7 copies of loam and smallpox as well as a bunch of other sweet hate was pretty appealing. We've found however the games got a bit too grindy and long. It's still something I'd like to further explore though.

This deck is in its infancy, and if people want to tweak the list to see what works best, more power to them.

If everyone netdecked, great new ideas like this would never exist in the first place. Stop trying to dissuade people from innovating.

I think sdt deserves some love in this deck. It saves loam from both surgical and drs.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by ElricTheWhiteWolf View Post
    I can't wait to read the article, I am curious why the SB has Phyrexian Ingester over Duplicant (it's easier to cast, should you have to) and Innocent Blood over Chainer's Edict (flashback, has synergies with Entomb and Loam).
    Maybe the ingester is better against artifact removals, although is weak to reb: it's difficult to guess.

Innocent blood is easier to cast than chainer's edict: one mana less is often what is needed to cast a spell against a taxing counter. Besides, the flashback cost of CE maybe too high for the matchups where you should side it in.
    Ignorance is strength

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by kingtk3 View Post
    Maybe the ingester is better against artifact removals, although is weak to reb: it's difficult to guess.
    The deck doesn't run other blue cards, so REB can't be an issue.

It really depends on how much artifacts like Pithing Needle you bring in to warrant artifact hate.

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Off-topic:
    Where can I find videos of this SCG Open?
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Squee Blocks a Tarmogoyf/Geist/Batterskull. That is for now all I can think of.
    Perhaps you could also say it's 1 damage a turn like Pfire is on an empty board, but without the 3 mana cost each turn. I dunno how important that is though, probably not important.

However I like Squee for it's flexibility. Maze of Ith does the same thing Squee does against Goyf and Batterskull, but can't be Wastelanded and can actually kill opposing small creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Man IDK, I don't write this bullshit. We all know WotC has some primo grass in its R&D Lair.

Thread Information