Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Article]Eternal Europe: Conspiring in Legacy

[Article]Eternal Europe: Conspiring in Legacy

Well, Conspiracy is known now, time to talk about what we can do with the new cards!

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...in-Legacy.html

Enjoy! :)
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Re: [Article]Eternal Europe: Conspiring in Legacy

There's an efficient answer to the latest special-set problem card
    That conveniently blows up all nonblue problems with basically no recourse and that blue, the colour of said problem card, can counter and laugh all the way to the bank.

I love that they printed a direct answer to Nemesis. I fucking hate that the answer is just as ludicrously dumb as Nemesis itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    That conveniently blows up all nonblue problems with basically no recourse and that blue, the colour of said problem card, can counter and laugh all the way to the bank.

I love that they printed a direct answer to Nemesis. I fucking hate that the answer is just as ludicrously dumb as Nemesis itself.
    The fact that it can be countered... well on the one hand I totally get where you're coming from, but at the same time I don't want counter magic to be invalidated as a strategy. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Abrupt Decay got printed, but I don't want uncounterable, high-impact spells to get printed willy-nilly.

I also echo your sentiment in that I'm also glad they addressed TNN but at the same I'm luke warm on this card from a fundamental perspective. The fact that "voting" is a design that allows them to circumvent 'protection' and 'hexproof' doesn't seem very logical within the framework of the game. First of all, "voting" when you have only two actors seems... counter intuitive. It also makes you feel unsure about the rules they set up. I know the game can't stay static, but fidgeting with 'targeting' (which this, ostensibly feels like) makes for uneasy sailing to me.

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by nevilshute View Post
    The fact that it can be countered... well on the one hand I totally get where you're coming from, but at the same time I don't want counter magic to be invalidated as a strategy. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Abrupt Decay got printed, but I don't want uncounterable, high-impact spells to get printed willy-nilly.
    I agree 100%. I didn't mean to say it should be uncounterable. I meant to say that it's amusing how blue is the colour best equipped to deal with it when it is also the colour of the problem. And the nonblue decks get to eat all the splash damage because all their normal ways of dealing with removal - dies trigger value(which is already bad against white decks to begin with), graveyard recursion, extra bodies against edicts, untargetability, regeneration - none of it matters one iota.

Quote Originally Posted by nevilshute View Post
    I also echo your sentiment in that I'm also glad they addressed TNN but at the same I'm luke warm on this card from a fundamental perspective. The fact that "voting" is a design that allows them to circumvent 'protection' and 'hexproof' doesn't seem very logical within the framework of the game. First of all, "voting" when you have only two actors seems... counter intuitive. It also makes you feel unsure about the rules they set up. I know the game can't stay static, but fidgeting with 'targeting' (which this, ostensibly feels like) makes for uneasy sailing to me.
    QFT.
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Can you imagine how much more bitching there would be if it was uncounterable?

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    Well, 80+% of the format is blue, so...
    (On Innistrad)

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    The card design is already dumb enough. Considering its intended purpose (killing TNN), they could have gone all-out as well since it's already kinda breaking the color pie. "NOBODY IS SAVE!" is still a better message for balance purposes than "NOBODY IS SAVE - except blue decks - again..." - and this is a card especially designed with Eternal play in mind.

But I agree with previous posters - you don't weaken blue when they're the only ones with answers while the other colors get the short end of the stick again (minus black with discard - maybe). Chances are that you're actually feeding blue since it tends to picking up the best anti-blue cards that don't hurt them, too.

They should rather hurry up and print the Sulfur Element variant for blue creatures as it seems a way more balanced and in-pie (minus the Flash part) answer to TNN.

There're things Counterbalance-top can deal with; for everything else, there's Council's judgment.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

CJ is going to be a decisive card in D+T mirrors, and great against D+T in general. I agree with Carsten that the card's home looks comfortable in Miracles.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    CJ is going to be a decisive card in D+T mirrors, and great against D+T in general. I agree with Carsten that the card's home looks comfortable in Miracles.
    While it can be great for D&T mirrors since it can kill anything despite Mother and can even catch Batterskulls, that's the one single match-up where bitching about the casting cost of might be justified. Resolving it between Wastes for your non-basic white sources and Port Wars, it's going to take a while to find said mana in the main phase.

Interesting to see such a negative feeling about the card. Sure it's a spell so blue is best equipped to answer it but really that would be true of anything as long as they don't start throwing around the "can't be countered" clause like candy on parade-day. It's also the closest thing to a counterspell they could give non-blue colors without ignoring the color pie (it deals with absolutely any single permanent, similar to what counterspells do), it costs double colored mana to make it reasonably committing (though that is, obviously, mitigated by the existence of duals and fetches) - I definitely expect to lose matches to being unable to get to WW on time with Miracles - and it's powerful and flexible enough to maindeck. This last point is quite important as there were a ton of ways already to deal with Nemesis in the form of specialized cards from the board (Golgari Charm et al.), what we were missing were tools to force interaction against Nemesis maindeck other than Wraths and Liliana. That's what Council's Judgment delivers.
    As to it being as ridiculous as TNN, it's still going to just be a Vindicate 85+% of the time (with it being much worse some of the remainder because the opponent is on High Tide or Creeping Tar Pit). I think that Vindicate, while good, is on the "barely playable" side of the effective Legacy cardpool, not the "damn that's sick" one. We will need to adapt to the fact that it has once again become a little harder to set up board states that are impossible to break (be it thanks to Mom, Lightning Greaves or Sterling Grove) but I think any claims to CJ being even close to as absurd as TNN are overvaluing how much the corner case scenarios change the value of a three mana destroy anything. I'd also say that making locks breakable instead of full lockdowns is actually good for gameplay overall.
    Also note that CJ is an answer, not a threat like TNN. While it's hard to answer CJ straight up, just playing another threat works just fine (whereas against TNN, it'll kill you eventually all by itself).

@Finn: As someone who has never touched D&T (far too many cards with P/T ;) ), what's the most important aspect of CJ in the mirror (compared to earlier options like ORing)? Hitting Mom? Circumventing Mom to get other things? Genuinely curious here.
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Mon,Goblin Chief View Post
    @Finn: As someone who has never touched D&T (far too many cards with P/T ;) ), what's the most important aspect of CJ in the mirror (compared to earlier options like ORing)? Hitting Mom? Circumventing Mom to get other things? Genuinely curious here.
    Not Finn, but I would say it actually depends on the board state, with Mom being most likely a prime target. Hitting various equipments also seems like a boon when you can't get your hands on an active Manriki-Gusari.

Are DNT players boarding out Thalia in the mirror? I would guess she's a bit awkward with so much Karakas flying around. If she's going out then CJ seems a little more realistic.

Yes, Thalia usually gets boarded out in Mirrors, since she doesn't tax much and is perfectly symetrical. Also, like mentioned above, Karakas makes her even more akward to have around.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Interesting to see such a negative feeling about the card. Sure it's a spell so blue is best equipped to answer it but really that would be true of anything as long as they don't start throwing around the "can't be countered" clause like candy on parade-day. It's also the closest thing to a counterspell they could give non-blue colors without ignoring the color pie (it deals with absolutely any single permanent, similar to what counterspells do), it costs double colored mana to make it reasonably committing (though that is, obviously, mitigated by the existence of duals and fetches) - I definitely expect to lose matches to being unable to get to WW on time with Miracles - and it's powerful and flexible enough to maindeck. This last point is quite important as there were a ton of ways already to deal with Nemesis in the form of specialized cards from the board (Golgari Charm et al.), what we were missing were tools to force interaction against Nemesis maindeck other than Wraths and Liliana. That's what Council's Judgment delivers.
    As to it being as ridiculous as TNN, it's still going to just be a Vindicate 85+% of the time (with it being much worse some of the remainder because the opponent is on High Tide or Creeping Tar Pit). I think that Vindicate, while good, is on the "barely playable" side of the effective Legacy cardpool, not the "damn that's sick" one. We will need to adapt to the fact that it has once again become a little harder to set up board states that are impossible to break (be it thanks to Mom, Lightning Greaves or Sterling Grove) but I think any claims to CJ being even close to as absurd as TNN are overvaluing how much the corner case scenarios change the value of a three mana destroy anything. I'd also say that making locks breakable instead of full lockdowns is actually good for gameplay overall.
    Also note that CJ is an answer, not a threat like TNN. While it's hard to answer CJ straight up, just playing another threat works just fine (whereas against TNN, it'll kill you eventually all by itself).
    So, for my part -- my biggest problems with TNN were always pretty much "it's subversive as hell" and "it shoulda been White".

"It shoulda been White" is the less relevant of the two, and really there are a lot of cards that could arguably appear in a different color without actually changing anything except the mana to cast it. But it ties in with the first point, because 'protection from player' has a much wider use-case and a much more competitive advantage than any of White's previous "protection from _____" effects. WotC fudged a bit on which color is supposed to be on top of the heap for protection; they self-edit their stance to switch White from "king of protection" to "king of protection from colors", which leaves Blue as the go-to color for "protection from other stuff". Other stuff having no apparent bound, the natural place to try experimenting is with entire players.

This leads right into the subversive nature of the mechanic. I'll try to make a not-uncommon point without being pedantic or too surface-level -- there truly are certain mechanics that don't need to exist. They promote power creep or they interact with the game in such an unspeakable way that they warp the gameplay. Games work because fundamental rules exist which must be adhered to. There is a difference between innovating those concepts and burying them in semantics. As Magic players we are familiar with phrases such as "Everything is a Time Walk"; finding plays which are functional analogues to other plays is just one method of assessing tempo, right? If "Terror your threat" can incur the same tempo swing as "Time Walk during my main phase", then it's worth investigating it as a playable card (it isn't, really, but for the sake of example, Terror is *totally* a Time Walk).

What I and many people dislike about TNN is the same thing that is disliked about Council's Judgment; TNN's unprecedented ability to shut out a player from interacting in standard "Magic-like" ways has lead to a card which similarly introduces a new method of selecting a permanent and removing it from play. I do not wish to see 400 Terror variants, don't misunderstand me, but when you have to change so many things to return the interactivity to a place that it already lived, you have to sit back as game designers and scratch your heads wondering just how you let it get to that point.

And there's collateral damage to these effects as well. Mother of Runes has been a pretty on-the-fence card for years, but Council's Judgment puts a big dent in her credibility. What was the purpose of the hexproof experiment, if a card can still allow a player to CHOOSE that permanent? What about indestructible? What are all these mechanics doing being expanded into potent cards like Geist of Saint Traft or Fleecemane Lion, if I can just vote them off the island? It's targeted removal for indestructible/hexproof things. That's stupid as fuck. Yes, it provides an answer to another stupid-as-fuck card, but it's like.... how many avenues of Magic gameplay need to be blown off just to re-establish them in a roundabout way? That's kludgy as shit, and it smacks of a group of people unaware of each other's actions with no oversight to the point that they have to print apologies -- not answers, but apologies -- for cards that are recognizably operating in detrimental ways. Not detrimental like broken unanswerable combo, just blatantly disregarding the foundation of the game. It's like allowing horses in a roller derby game. The fuck is a horse doing there? Is it even good to have someone on a horse? The hell is going on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    So, for my part -- my biggest problems with TNN were always pretty much "it's subversive as hell" and "it shoulda been White".

"It shoulda been White" is the less relevant of the two, and really there are a lot of cards that could arguably appear in a different color without actually changing anything except the mana to cast it. But it ties in with the first point, because 'protection from player' has a much wider use-case and a much more competitive advantage than any of White's previous "protection from _____" effects. WotC fudged a bit on which color is supposed to be on top of the heap for protection; they self-edit their stance to switch White from "king of protection" to "king of protection from colors", which leaves Blue as the go-to color for "protection from other stuff". Other stuff having no apparent bound, the natural place to try experimenting is with entire players.
    I find the argumentation of "blue has protection from other stuff" downright laughable. Not only is blue the color with the least protection cards out of all five colors, it also has historically three cards that goes into "protection from stuff"-category, with two being protection from a certain creature type and one being protection from lands.

Innistrad block alone had six cards in that category.

Just because Maro has a raging boner for blue while whining for years when red gets something like Chaos Warp doesn't make his argument for TNN more sound.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

It's the fact that it targets without targeting, removing the option to profitably respond with it on the stack.

Flickerwisp
    Mother of Runes
    Karakas
    ...these guys can't save anything from exile with this spell. Karakas is kinda meh after game 1. But Flickerwisp is usually huge in the mirror.

Plus the Mystic/Batterskull issue you mentioned. Also, Jitte-on-Jitte fights, which are already a nightmare game of chicken can now be won outright.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Jul 2010

Hexproof/shroud/protection from white/everything
    Damage prevention
    extra bodies against Edicts
    Indestructible
    Value from dies triggers
    Moving the primary target into another zone in response
    Graveyard recursion
    Instant blink
    Cannot sacrifice clauses (eg. Sigarda, Tajuru Preserver)

An actually effective solution? Hahahaha.

Counterspell? Yeah, I guess that's ok.
    (On Innistrad)

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

As to it being as ridiculous as TNN... but I think any claims to CJ being even close to as absurd as TNN are overvaluing how much the corner case scenarios change the value of a three mana destroy anything.
    What I think TsumiBand and others are saying is that Council's Judgment is like True-Name Nemesis not in its "power level" or ability to warp the format but because of its breaking of standard Magic: The Gathering tenets.

For example, Protection is generally a narrow ability that comes at a cost (either only Protection from one color or being forced to play a weak creature like Mother of Runes that doesn't actually affect the gamestate until the next turn, etc, etc). Shroud was something of another type of Protection. It was less narrow and thus more powerful but the cost being that you cannot target your own Shroud guys (not to mention that Shroud guys were usually weak or required further interaction to become good: Nimble Mongoose).

Next we get Hexproof, which by itself might not be so bad, but the fact that it came attached to a creature as powerful as Geist of Saint Traft really fundamentally changes how interaction works. If Hexproof wasn't bad enough, they really broke the barrel with True-Name Nemesis. TNN defies all previous rules of what a creature should be able to do, and what really separates it from Mongoose or Mom or even Geist is that it comes at no real cost.

Now we have Council's Judgment, which is a fine and honestly a welcomed answer to True-Name Nemesis. However, we still have the same problem: WotC is breaking the tenets that have been in place for a very long time. Protection and Shroud are both very well established and the cards that were designed with them are honestly pretty balanced. Despite however much people hate TNN and Hexproof, Council's Judgment has a lot of fallout against aspects of the game that people were happy/comfortable with.

If the it stops with TNN (and its answer in Council's Judgment) then that's fine and we can live with it. The problem is if this trend of breaking established game norms at no cost continues. I really hope that WotC thinks up some good ideas and stops with the cheap and inelegant gimmicks.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I find the argumentation of "blue has protection from other stuff" downright laughable. Not only is blue the color with the least protection cards out of all five colors, it also has historically three cards that goes into "protection from stuff"-category, with two being protection from a certain creature type and one being protection from lands.

Innistrad block alone had six cards in that category.

Just because Maro has a raging boner for blue while whining for years when red gets something like Chaos Warp doesn't make his argument for TNN more sound.
    IKR?

"In the past, Blue has done things. This card is an extension of that. I don't see what the problem is."

What I think TsumiBand and others are saying is that Council's Judgment is like True-Name Nemesis not in its "power level" or ability to warp the format but because of its breaking of standard Magic: The Gathering tenets.
    Essentially, yeah. Going out of their way to print effects like Terminus and Council's Judgment as answers to these hexproof, indestructible, protection-from-player stuff kind of dicks over the rest of the game in terms of the defined interactions. I'm not suggesting that Council's Judgment is the end-all be-all of removal spells, but its effect goes beyond targeting while executing in more or less the same way in 1v1 (unless your opponent sucks and names a different permanent they control, in which case so much the better I guess).

I mean, really think about the times when new players scratch their heads with Magic; it's when semantics that don't seem like they should matter, do. Some of them are legitimate game-play mechanics, like Wrath of God destroying a protection-from-white creature, because protection doesn't actually offer insurance against that effect. Then there's stuff like "target" vs. "choose"; this has indeed been around for a while, but it still 'feels like' cheating to a new-jack. "If I control True Believer, WHY can my opponent not target me, but choose me with True-Name Nemesis?" They sound like different actions but the net result is the same. So now there are all these functional analogs to things that we were already doing anyway, only they operate in a completely separate fashion from the rest of the game and they undermine older things if they run into them.

I mentioned Mother of Runes earlier; she's useless against 'choice removal', and she's arguably much worse in general than True-Name Nemesis for what she does. Consider the effect Goblins hate used to have against other tribes; if Goblins is prevalent, AND Engineered Plague is good tech against Goblins, tribes which are potent but arguably less so than Goblins are MUCH worse because they are intrinsically hated out of the format. Goblins doesn't just make Pirates worse because it exists; it makes it worse because its opponents are already gunning for it without even trying. So when you have an interaction or series of interactions based on the predication that a lot of the creatures these days are either indestructible, hexproof, or have protection from players, that builds in a lot of incidental hate for things which classically fared well but can now be easily dealt with. Solid protection creatures like Etched Champion or those fringe-awesome guys like Mirran Crusader or Stillmoon Cavalier are delegated to novelty status. Lame.

On one hand, this happens all the time - The People vs. Tarmogoyf is an age-old cautionary tale of power creep and its effect on creature diversity. But in fairness all Tarmogoyf did was jump the mana curve; it didn't redefine the rules of creature combat. TNN vs Council's Judgment, Geist of St Traft vs Terminus, indestructible guys vs exile and tuck and etc etc etc... it puts an abstraction layer on top of the game. Remember when people argued that "Dredge is not a Magic deck" because what it did was SO different from everything else? It's that kind of nasty feeling I get when I see cards like this. Power level has nothing to do with it; it's the game it creates on top of the game, that's the part I take issue with. That's why I don't like "choice removal". I see what they did there, but it's hacky as fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Thread Information