Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese fakes

Hybrid View

Will work for playset of Wastelands
    Apr 2012
    Czech Republic

Chinese fakes

There's been a big buzz about some new counterfeits from China. I'm sure most of you have allready noticed, for those who have not: http://imgur.com/a/hLuw2

According to some people from Facebook group, these have been reported by dealers in North Carolina and seem very real. Practically indistinguishable. What is your opinion on this matter? People from the US are reporting that they have allready seen this fakes and that they are extremely good, only the blue line inside the card seems fake (which doesn't matter anyway, like any judge is going to rip in half your Tundra to verify its authenticity).

These cards haven't arrived to Europe yet, as far as I know. Is there anybody on this forum who has seen them and could give us an objective insight on how good those fakes are? Anybody who has allready tested them? I contacted the chinese company and they offered me free samples for shipping costs ($28), but I ain't gonna drown 28 bucks just to satisfy my curiosity. Maybe if more curious people were interested, we could order those free samples together (I'd put like $5 maximum in it, so it'd take 6 people to order it).

Worst case scenario proposed by few facebook drama queens is this could destroy the legacy & vintage card market completely.

Discuss
    Legacy
    - Team Soviet Union
    - Death & Taxes
    Pauper
    - U/R Delver
    - Urza Tron

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Goblins should be called Team Soviet Union: show up with hordes of red infantry, first throw 'em under enemy tanks, then win with an immense wave.
    Chinese fakes!

Dec 2010
    Beijing/Shenzhen

Re: Chinese fakes

Quote Originally Posted by prateta View Post
    There's been a big buzz about some new counterfeits from China. I'm sure most of you have allready noticed, for those who have not: http://imgur.com/a/hLuw2

According to some people from Facebook group, these have been reported by dealers in North Carolina and seem very real. Practically indistinguishable. What is your opinion on this matter? People from the US are reporting that they have allready seen this fakes and that they are extremely good, only the blue line inside the card seems fake (which doesn't matter anyway, like any judge is going to rip in half your Tundra to verify its authenticity).

These cards haven't arrived to Europe yet, as far as I know. Is there anybody on this forum who has seen them and could give us an objective insight on how good those fakes are? Anybody who has allready tested them? I contacted the chinese company and they offered me free samples for shipping costs ($28), but I ain't gonna drown 28 bucks just to satisfy my curiosity. Maybe if more curious people were interested, we could order those free samples together (I'd put like $5 maximum in it, so it'd take 6 people to order it).

Worst case scenario proposed by few facebook drama queens is this could destroy the legacy & vintage card market completely.

Discuss
    I remember about one year ago, In Beijing, there is someone who sold tons of fake cards to a local store at the same price as real cards, which sparked panic among players and sellers. It is hard to distinguish them from the real one unless you put those fake cards in the bright light.

I cannot open your link, so I am not quite sure if we are talking about the same thing.
    Team Blood, Beijing.
    Currently play: Sneaky Show/ Lands

They are on ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/ramseydevon/...p2047675.l2562

Check the sold listings, its scary :/

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

To me, this signals the impending end of the reserved list. Why? Because otherwise there is the possibility of a massive panic sell-off / collapse of the Legacy / Modern / Vintage card market. WotC can either twiddle their thumbs on this issue and doing nothing, or they can figure out some way to re-introduce "authenticated" Dual Lands and so forth with the new Font and foil symbol.

From what I've heard, these cards pass the majority of authenticity tests, e.g. bending, and there is no way that players are going to stand for a judge ripping their Duals in half to check if there's a Blue layer or not.

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

I never really believed that Magic cards were impossible to fake. I work for the Institute for Traffic Safety so I've seen the fake Id's China is producing. They're fucking ridiculous! Making a fake Magic card seems way easier to me, so it was just a matter of time...

I think this means the reserved list has totally failed. These scammers are basically making the money Wizards would have made if they reprinted high demand staples. If prices end up dropping (since you can't tell the real thing from the fake) all the hoarders that supported the reserved list stand to lose a ton of cash.

And it's easy for me to say right now that I'd never knowingly buy a fake card, but in college when I was super broke I might have.

It's shitty.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

If this guy was just printing Reserved List stuff, then I'd say that he's simply fulfilling a demand that Wizards refuses to do. However, that is obviously not the case as he's printing a lot of non-Reserved List stuff. How good are these fakes anyway? The text on the MM Tarmogoyf looks fake, so I wonder how authentic these cards really appear.
    Discussing the impact of True-Name Nemesis on Legacy:

Quote Originally Posted by 2Rach View Post
    And format warping itself isn't necessarily a bad thing for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    If this guy was just printing Reserved List stuff, then I'd say that he's simply fulfilling a demand that Wizards refuses to do. However, that is obviously not the case as he's printing a lot of non-Reserved List stuff. How good are these fakes anyway? The text on the MM Tarmogoyf looks fake, so I wonder how authentic these cards really appear.

Which one is the fake?

Apr 2012
    Czech Republic

Yeah, the Goyf isn't very good. The font is bigger etc, but they can have it repaired by now. Many other cards I've seen from the same company are ok, so the goyf picture might be just from the first batch or something.

@Elias: the left one?
    Legacy
    - Team Soviet Union
    - Death & Taxes
    Pauper
    - U/R Delver
    - Urza Tron

Goblins should be called Team Soviet Union: show up with hordes of red infantry, first throw 'em under enemy tanks, then win with an immense wave.
    Chinese fakes!

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post
    I never really believed that Magic cards were impossible to fake. I work for the Institute for Traffic Safety so I've seen the fake Id's China is producing. They're fucking ridiculous! Making a fake Magic card seems way easier to me, so it was just a matter of time...

I think this means the reserved list has totally failed. These scammers are basically making the money Wizards would have made if they reprinted high demand staples. If prices end up dropping (since you can't tell the real thing from the fake) all the hoarders that supported the reserved list stand to lose a ton of cash.

And it's easy for me to say right now that I'd never knowingly buy a fake card, but in college when I was super broke I might have.

It's shitty.
    The hoarders were the cancer killing Legacy anyway. They deserve no sympathy for trying to play Magic like a stock market. The bubble has to burst at some point.

Considering how Wizards changed the font and and added the hologram thing on money cards for M15 cards onwards, it becomes more and more clear that fakers seem to have reached a level where Wizards feel threatened to the point were they had to take action.

It's only a matter of time until perfect fakes without font or color mistakes find their way into the market. Since they're now good enough to pass stuff like the UV-Test, it's impossible to distinguish the real thing from the fake as long as they didn't fuck up somewhere (and at some point, they WILL realize that putting efford into good fakes is going to make them more money). As prateta said - what's the judge going to do? Rip your Underground Sea apart to see if it's blue inside? And even then, most judges wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway since they have no training in it.

If this guy was just printing Reserved List stuff, then I'd say that he's simply fulfilling a demand that Wizards refuses to do.
    Abolishing the Reserve List seems like a real possibility now if the fake cards actually have an impact on the market. It would be foolish to think that Wizards would allow to let such profit slip through their fingers.

"Oh, hey, look, have a Legacy Masters in store for you with the guarantee that they are real thanks to the holo stamp!"

They already have new art and everything in place due to MODO cube.

The main question is how they could do this PR stunt without mentioning the threat of fakes to the secondary market - the backlash and loss of trust would be huge. But I guess Maro would cook up some bullshit and the mindless masses would gulp it down and ask for more anyway.

Discuss
    I'll spend $28 for some tournament-legal Underground Seas/Goyfs/whatever. Can you link their website or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by UnderwaterGuy View Post
    I'll spend $28 for some tournament-legal Underground Seas/Goyfs/whatever. Can you link their website or anything?
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/15...ering_for.html

Apr 2012
    Czech Republic

Well this is the website of the company selling the allegedly high quality fakes that have been all over the net.

http://22v.en.alibaba.com/

And this is the contact info for the guy who offered me this $28 samples. Just download Trade Manager at alibaba.com, install it and contact him via it. If you get your hands on it, please share your findings about the quality. So far it has only been rumors.

Legacy
    - Team Soviet Union
    - Death & Taxes
    Pauper
    - U/R Delver
    - Urza Tron

Chinese fakes!

Two Explores.
    Apr 2010

These cards haven't arrived to Europe yet, as far as I know.
    Welcome in March 2012 everyone! http://blog.magiccardmarket.eu/count...ds-from-china/

I'm surprised it took nearly 2 years for a thread appearing here.
    Humphrey is always correct.

On my own buddy list
    Jun 2007
    Bristol RI

I'm conflicted. As a player I would be glad to see cheaper cards in the market. But since I have so much money invested in cards it makes me nervous that I'm going to lose my potential investment.

If the cards are indistinguishable from the real thing maybe wizards will make a move to verify older cards as real or fake for a small fee.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

are the fakes available in english only? Or are there already reports of fake non-english cards?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

We were discussing this situation at our Sunday night kitchen table magic session. We are of the conclusion that this is a godsend to LGS's. So many times we hear 'ewww I can go to place x online and get it for $1 cheaper'. Now people are going to be a little more willing to buy the $75 in person FOW vs the $60 online one if they know for a fact they are getting a real card, so if Local's are able to keep a lookout and its a trusty store this is a major step back towards helping LGS's recover market share from ebay & tcgplayer

Sent from 15 min in the future via Tapatalk Timewarp.
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

Aug 2008
    Arkansas

I am very much against counterfeits. If I need a proxy I have a color laser printer, I own most of the staples but I would love a large enough print run of legit catds to drop the price back to 05-06 levels even most duals were right in the sweet spot around 25 and only a few nitch cards were $100 range

Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

Aug 2008
    Arkansas

Eh the value of my collection that I priced out last night is about $36000. That's just stuff in binders. 95% of that was purchased oh 10-15+ years ago at less than maybe 20% of current tcgplayer mid price. The market could lose close to 80% of current value and I lose nothing.

Apr 2012
    Czech Republic

Sorry for the photo quality, will make better pictures when there is some daylight to work with.

Sent from my Lenovo S920_ROW using Tapatalk
    Legacy
    - Team Soviet Union
    - Death & Taxes
    Pauper
    - U/R Delver
    - Urza Tron

Chinese fakes!

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

Sorry, but what is this "Godbook" that SCG supposedly has?

Thread Information