Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese fakes

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Re: Chinese fakes

Link to the 4chan thread? Would be interesting to read.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Technics View Post
    Link to the 4chan thread? Would be interesting to read.
    Here you go.

It has already reached the bump limited and might be gone soon, though.

Link to the new thread.

Will work for playset of Wastelands
    Apr 2012
    Czech Republic

Just ordered a free sample of apx 20 cards. Will let you know in about 5-7 days when it arrives with a quick review.
    Legacy
    - Team Soviet Union
    - Death & Taxes
    Pauper
    - U/R Delver
    - Urza Tron

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Goblins should be called Team Soviet Union: show up with hordes of red infantry, first throw 'em under enemy tanks, then win with an immense wave.
    Chinese fakes!

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

"Yo Dawg, I got these pimp ass goods from my boy in Guangdong. I got Goyfs, Jace TMS, Underground Seas. I got what you need son."

I'm actually interested in seeing how these look next to real duals and fetches. I feel like only good things can come out of having it be this public.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by mishima_kazuya View Post
    "Yo Dawg, I got these pimp ass goods from my boy in Guangdong. I got Goyfs, Jace TMS, Underground Seas. I got what you need son."
    Nerdiest black market ever.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

The guys over at 4chan are currently trying to organize mass buyings. Let's see how that turns out. Knowing 4chan, there are probably people who are trying to scam each other.

Apr 2011

Quote Originally Posted by mishima_kazuya View Post
    Are these actually outta Guangdong? I have a friend who is living in Guangzhou, and might be able to get him to take a look/ship some samples.

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

Are these actually outta Guangdong? I have a friend who is living in Guangzhou, and might be able to get him to take a look/ship some samples.

According to the alibaba page for the seller, yes it is. It even ships out of Shenzhen.

Fwiw, I have not been in Mainland China in about 7 years, but this incident seems pretty normal for that part of the world. Although the quality of these fakes is surprising.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

im not sure why everyone is surprised.... as time passes, it becomes cheaper and cheaper to obtain the machines and materials to create fakes. Wizards isn't making US federal currency so they have not traditionally been concerned with this. Also as time passes its more profitable to make fake cards and put them into the market.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Apr 2011

I'm seriously considering picking up a bunch for cube. Would be awesome to have real looking cards for my powered cube. Still would need to proxy the mox's but then all the "really 60 bucks for THAT" cards could be real looking.

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    im not sure why everyone is surprised.... as time passes, it becomes cheaper and cheaper to obtain the machines and materials to create fakes. Wizards isn't making US federal currency so they have not traditionally been concerned with this. Also as time passes its more profitable to make fake cards and put them into the market.
    I don't think anybody is shocked that it's happening. I just don't think many people really thought about the (potential) consequences of wide spread counterfeiting.

I'm seriously considering picking up a bunch for cube. Would be awesome to have real looking cards for my powered cube. Still would need to proxy the mox's but then all the "really 60 bucks for THAT" cards could be real looking.
    There are companies that will print your cube for you, you just have to supply the images, which you could make with photoshop.

It was just a matter of time till this happened. WOTC will lose this battle that's for sure...

The foils are harder to make, but the regular cards are a joke... Even the older sets might get underground printings (power, beta duals and other money cards).
    I believe that in short time we might have copies that are just impossible to tell if they are originals or not.

I'm over in China now, I'll see if I can get some over the weekend.

I wouldn't be surprised if WOTC had to turn to MTGO as its future business model as a result of Chineese counter feiting tho', with games like Hearthstone rising in popularity it was only a matter of time.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    I'm over in China now, I'll see if I can get some over the weekend.

I wouldn't be surprised if WOTC had to turn to MTGO as its future business model as a result of Chineese counter feiting tho', with games like Hearthstone rising in popularity it was only a matter of time.
    I wouldn't be opposed to this but they'd have to pretty much start from scratch cause the game is trash right now... I prefer to play on cockatrice cause the interface is easier to use.

There will always be a way to determine a real from a fake though....at least for the older cards. The card stock will have aged about 20 years which is not something easy to fake if at all possible.

What would be scary is if the fakes were graded and authenticated and passed inspection. At that point the integrity of the cards is lost forever.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Site Contributor

Nov 2009

I'd be interested in having a proxy of my entire deck. Sleeveless mtg is the way the game was ment to be played! It would be great if they would act like real playing cards too. Really bendy and plastic. That way you can bridge them with ease. And if they were coated, you could just throw them in the sink to wash off all the sweat. Such an easy way to wash a bunch of sweaty sticky cards... What a time saver.

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    I wouldn't be opposed to this but they'd have to pretty much start from scratch cause the game is trash right now... I prefer to play on cockatrice cause the interface is easier to use.

There will always be a way to determine a real from a fake though....at least for the older cards. The card stock will have aged about 20 years which is not something easy to fake if at all possible.

What would be scary is if the fakes were graded and authenticated and passed inspection. At that point the integrity of the cards is lost forever.
    If I remember right artificially aging card board is easy, I remember doing it back in like 5th grade with coffee.

If anyone read the 4-chan thread about this, the person selling this said that there is a "color difference" in the back print of the cards."

He's selling it for 500$ for 1000 cards (12 copies of each card in the list), but there is person in the thread who is making a deal for 200$ for 360 cards (4 of each card)

Tropical Island
    Temple Garden
    Stomping Ground
    Overgrown Tomb
    Scared Foundry
    Breeding Pool
    Misty Rainforst
    Celestial Colonnade
    Flooded Strand
    Arid Mesa
    Wasteland
    Inkmoth Nexus
    Elspeth Sun's Champion
    Tarmogoyf
    Cavern of Souls
    Scalding Tarn
    Hallowed Fountain
    Polluted Delta
    Surgical Extraction
    Sol Ring
    Underground sea
    Maesh Flats
    Reflecting Pool
    Mutavault
    Wooded Foothills
    Windswept Health
    Watery Grave
    Godless Shrine
    Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
    Savannah
    Blood Crypt
    Verdant Catacombs
    Kalonian Hydra
    Avacyn, Angel of Hope
    Thassa, God of the sea,
    Jace, Architect of Thought
    Swords to Plowshares
    Plains
    Chalice of the Void
    Goblin guide
    it that betrays
    sword of war and peace
    sword of fire and ice
    purphoros god of the forge
    sun titan
    sensei's divining top
    demonic tutor
    elspeth knight-errant
    thoughtseize
    pernicious deed
    sword of feast and famine
    goblin lackey
    goblin pilcdriver
    inquistion of kozilek
    engineered explosives
    kokusho the evening star
    bonfire of the damned
    ral zarek
    lona shild of emeria
    stoneforge mystic
    lona shield of emeria
    spellskite
    karn liberated
    tundra
    path to exile
    mountain
    swamp
    figure of destiny
    Ather Vial
    Vampiric Tutor
    Snapcaster Mage
    Academy Ruins
    Batterskull
    Forcc of Will
    Leyline of Sanctity
    Island
    Intuition
    Sphinx's Revelation
    Rcanimatc
    He's got every shock, dual, fetch, and man lands. Take note that the listed basic lands are all Unhinged.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by dreinal13 View Post
    If anyone read the 4-chan thread about this, the person selling this said that there is a "color difference" in the back print of the cards."

He's selling it for 500$ for 1000 cards (12 copies of each card in the list), but there is person in the thread who is making a deal for 200$ for 360 cards (4 of each card)

He's got every shock, dual, fetch, and man lands. Take note that the listed basic lands are all Unhinged.
    Just seems dumb, that list, for more than one reason… The most glaring one being that they have so many different color schemes to match (Trop vs temple garden vs chain vs planes walkers etc).

Thread Information