Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese fakes

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: Chinese fakes

Dumb maybe, but I think by the end of next week we will know what these cards are like. Given a very short amount of time, so will the rest of the world.

I was a regular on a BF3 (now BF4) stats site called Symthic. One of the guys found a flaw in the coding that made the M16 immune to suppression effects. I was offline for 3 days but when I jumped back on my Xbox, without me telling my group, they all knew. I was the only one that was on the site, so they others, in 3 days, had found out by word of mouth.

I think this is what will happen here. We are not a small site. People read us but do not comment, then word gets out. 4Chan I hear is a quite large too. Word will travel people, mark my words, this is the start of something. This thread on this site may have had a much larger impact on the future of the game than any of us expect. Word gets out. Good or bad, this will change something.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

I really do hope you are right Dice_Box, but sadly there seem to be two scenarios.

First one would be the good one, new players buy into top decks at a few hundred bucks, which isn't much at Magics standards and nothing at Legacys. We will get new players, more players, a more thriving format, more events - everything will be better.

But just looking at the possible upsides is wrong, on many levels. What about the fact that this fakes could lead to SCG quitting Legacy, WotC stop taking it as a format, what if all our cards crash to the price of 10 bucks a dual(well I wouldn't care - for as long as this was the only bad side of things), what if what if what if - there are just too many possible ways this all could go.

I am not too sure if this is good or bad, probably it will have as many positive as negative impacts on our format, on our game as a whole. Well, speculating isn't gonna bring us forward - tests are. I am really looking forward to those of you buying those cards - please do report back to us.

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I chuckeled at this (it's from the homologous thread at Salvation):

I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

If I had the budget, i would probably buy these in a heartbeat. Do you know why?

Playtesting. Having these allows you to test the decks without making the major investment of $1-2000 for manabases for dual-/tri-color decks. And that's on top of the costs of the other staples.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    I chuckeled at this (it's from the homologous thread at Salvation):
    I liked that so much I went to that thread and found the post just to click the "Thanks" button on it.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    If I had the budget, i would probably buy these in a heartbeat. Do you know why?

Playtesting. Having these allows you to test the decks without making the major investment of $1-2000 for manabases for dual-/tri-color decks. And that's on top of the costs of the other staples.
    You know printers exist? A4 + crap cards + sleeves + some gatherer equiv = Very nice-looking proxies that won't disturb anyone yet are obviously fake, for really cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Mar 2013

http://magiccards.info/query?q=Grafd...v=card&s=cname

Note that you can just click print proxy. Easy.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

The thing that suprises me probably the most is how open-minded the responses the fakes are here. No bitter talking about losing money and how it's going to ruin everything, just a "might be cool"-attitude mixed with "might go wrong".

Although that might be the results of years of Wizards basically giving Legacy the finger.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

That's because the majority of posters here are competitive tourney players that aren't hoarding 2192736 FoWs like it'll pay for their kid's college tuition. I care far more about new players having access to cards than the virtual net worth of my collection.
    Discussing the impact of True-Name Nemesis on Legacy:

Quote Originally Posted by 2Rach View Post
    And format warping itself isn't necessarily a bad thing for that matter.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    That's because the majority of posters here are competitive tourney players that aren't hoarding 2192736 FoWs like it'll pay for their kid's college tuition. I care far more about new players having access to cards than the virtual net worth of my collection.
    ^ this. I am not going to sell my Legacy decks off most likely, so the value I get from them is being able to play with people. More people playing Legacy = more value for me. Less people playing, higher sales value is in practice a net loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Apr 2013
    Spring hill florida

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    ^ this. I am not going to sell my Legacy decks off most likely, so the value I get from them is being able to play with people. More people playing Legacy = more value for me. Less people playing, higher sales value is in practice a net loss.
    very tempting to buy more staples. but legacy players aint stupid. theyre gonna know within weeks of these new fakes.
    my worry is not about the price of my duals goin down, but the effect of it on scg and other shops that hold legacy events weekly. if a large comany like scg cant make profit anymore, chances are they might dop legacy altogether.

Nov 2010
    Lisbon, Portugal

Almost all my cards, except duals and old stuff, are foils and I have more than 10k in card board.

If these Chinese f u c k e r s decide to replicate foils that you can't distinguish I will sell all my stuff.

This is outrageous and it is better if WotC stop this guys ASAP because I'm getting quite pissed off.

Mar 2013

Not sure, but I to would think you could make money on events if the cards become worthless. Like a band making money on shows since everyone can just download a cd.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I actually don't mind this.

I don't mind if people get cheaper access to Legacy staples. Maybe we can get the people who exclusively draft to actually play Legacy.

I would rather have Legacy events to fire up at the local store on a weekly basis than having my $2000 deck just sitting and collecting dust.

Besides, if you want real value, go pimp and foil it out. That is harder to counterfeit and your money is safe with that.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post

FWIW, even at a buck each that many FoWs would pay for anyone's college tuition. Hell, you could pay for dozens of children to attend university...
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer Click here to comment

I am a bit surprised about ... so many surprised responses here. Isn't printing cards in China a thing for a very long time and this guy is just one of many, who accidentally got linked on 4chan?

Quote Originally Posted by crow_mw View Post
    I am a bit surprised about ... so many surprised responses here. Isn't printing cards in China a thing for a very long time and this guy is just one of many, who accidentally got linked on 4chan?
    On the brief look I had for that website, it appears this happens with Pokemon and Yugioh as well.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Maybe I'll order some fake FoWs and get them altered into those "Force of Will Riker"s I've been wanting, but will NOT do to my one actual playset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by warai View Post

This is outrageous and it is better if WotC stop this guys ASAP because I'm getting quite pissed off.
    Good luck with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    The thing that suprises me probably the most is how open-minded the responses the fakes are here. No bitter talking about losing money and how it's going to ruin everything, just a "might be cool"-attitude mixed with "might go wrong".

Although that might be the results of years of Wizards basically giving Legacy the finger.
    Why? I mean they have shareholders and they won't be happy if Wotc says "no guys, actually we are making a shitload of money with Standard/Modern, so there's no need to make even more money with Legacy".

They can't break the promise of the Reserved List, because they fear a lawsuit but they can print Snow Covered Duals or slightly superior Dual Lands that give you 1 Life when ETB etc.

I really hope that the Chinese fakes are a push in that direction.
    TheRiedl on Magic Online

About Magic Online:

I can play legacy whenever I want. Cardboard has no value. Data has no value. My time and enjoyment has high value to me. More legacy = more fun. Buy in.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    When Obilivion Ring is said to be an equivalent counterpiece to Red Elemental Blast in regards to Show and Tell and Jace, you know all is lost.

Thread Information