Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ಠ_ಠ Magic: The Movie

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

Quote Originally Posted by from Cairo View Post
    There seems like there's been a lot of good back story/lore to MTG over the years. I could see something about Urza and Mishra being made into a movie that's not bad. It seems much more likely that this is a cash grab by Hasbro and will closer resemble a 2hr Jace commercial.
    This is the problem I'm seeing. Magic's lore is so rich that it already takes multiple books to attempt to give it justice. Take into account that each block is only minimally interwoven with others (akin to the Elder Scrolls series), Fox and Hasbro should be having a tough time with just drafting a script.

What I'd like to see: Brother's War or Phyrexian Invasion

What I expect: Jace brooding over whether to get a booster pack at his LGS.

Re: ಠ_ಠ Magic: The Movie

They won't do something like the Brother's War or the Phyrexian Invasion because there's no potential tie-ins. Those plot threads are over in MtG canon and I doubt Wizards wants to go and revisit them by reprinting Invasion block wholesale or something. If we get anything, it'll be Jace, because they can make Jace-themed product tie-ins to milk people becoming interested in the game after watching the movie. Of course, the issue with that is that modern Magic does worldbuilding very well but modern story lines are fucking woeful, so the writers are probably going to be able to just come up with whatever they want using Wizards' characters and settings.

The only real question is whether it'll be worse than the D&D movie.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Inquisitive slightly burnt out from el pulvo Christian Slater FTW.

Is it just me, or does Slater look constipated?
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

should probably be either working or sleeping

Jan 2014
    Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    The only real question is whether it'll be worse than the D&D movie.
    That would be quite an acheivment.
    just staring legacy with rw goblins. and pretending to work but reading here.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Here's to many long years in development hell! Say hi to live action Akira while you're there.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

I am fully expecting a story kind of like this:

Kid is playing Magic finds out his opponent is actually a real planeswalker and he is here to train the kid on how to become one. May as well rip off the sorcerer's apprentice here. Figure it to be a 94 Minute ad for WOTC

[sarcasm]Time to buy up every card I can find to sell to teenie boppers leaving the theater[/sarcasm]
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

This is going to be pretty embarrassing and will further reinforce the stigmatization of Magic players in general. Wizards and related businesses have a pretty generalized image of their customer base and I can already conceive how this will feed the general negative perception of the magic subculture.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Of course, the issue with that is that modern Magic does worldbuilding very well but modern story lines are fucking woeful, so the writers are probably going to be able to just come up with whatever they want using Wizards' characters and settings.
    The story becomes worse and worse with each block. This time, they ripped of Warhammer 40k. Partying so hard that you create a new god? Yeah, sounds familiar...

Richard Garfield has done one hell of a job to make the core game strong enough to survive 20 years of Wizards' bullshit. The amount of mishandling the franchise outside of the game is astounding.

This movie is going to be a disaster, both in terms of quality and financially. Where's the mass appeal of such a movie?

Apr 2011
    the Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Kayradis View Post
    LoL, awesome!

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

At least I can say I played Magic before it was cool....

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Can't wait to download a shaky cam version of the film and go to tournaments where no one talks because we're all to ashamed to be playing

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

You guys forgot the best part. Movie tie-in planeswalker cards with movie footage.

Robert Pattison as Jace, signed by...Robert Pattison.

Twilight fanboys and fangirls embracing M:TG, driving up sales.

/trying to find the silver lining
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

I'm not enthusiastic about this film's prospects for not sucking. If we got someone like Duncan Jones (doing the WoW film) then I could be more excited but Fox is involved and god damn if that doesn't make me shudder. Still, it's not like there isn't a lot of good lore or storylines available in Magic. Obviously Brother's War or The Weatherlight Saga would be sick. But even something newer like the original Ravnica block was pretty sweet. Whatever they put out it's got to be a step up from the books. Damn.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Dec 2013
    Harelbeke,Belgium

I'm predicting a more of a planewalker origin story.Venser-esqe as in a person finding out he/she's a planeswalker and ultimately having to save a plane/his native plane.

I wonder, will there be a promo card a la pokemon ( first movie you got a movie promo MewTwo ) ? :P
    Starting: Goblins

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Sep 2004
    Raleigh, NC

Clearly, the easiest plotline for a mtg movie would be the patchwork 7th edition background story. It's all written right there in the southern paladin's flavor text:
    "So, through some clips of the eastern and western paladins trashing some peasant villages, and probably the eastern paladin eating a baby, we can see that they are bad guys and need to be killed in an epic battle scene, so the other paladins decide to go get a magical army to beat them. The northern paladin goes and talks to the elves and they're like "yeah, I'm on board, and because all my elf guys are like legolas, and we've got some armadons." The southern paladin goes to talk to the lord of atlantis, and is like "come join us, because bant is clearly the good guy color combo," but the LoA is like "naw, I'm going to be a wild card for this flick." So the armies go to war for like the last hour and a half of the movie, and the good armies seems to be losing despite the fact that they have spined wurms and the bad guys have goblins and cockroaches, because red is the other bad guy color, and there are dragons, because dragons are in right now, and magic has a bunch of dragons. But then the LoA shows up and helps the good guys, and everyone is cheering and killing the bad guys and probably the southern paladin dies because he only has one eye, anyway. Then everyone leaves the theatre exhilarated, but on further review the movie wasn't that great." 3/3

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

I'm on board only if they get the whole production team that did the 80s Dungeons & Dragons cartoon show. Because that was bad in the best of ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

I'm kind of shocked that they didn't give the option to Disney, since Hasbro does pretty much all of the merchandising for that company.

And for what it's worth, Disney would treat it right. Give it to Lucasfilm or Touchstone and you've got gold (as long as actual George Lucas doesn't touch it).
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Dis iz da WAAAGH!
    Jan 2007
    Chicagoland

Quote Originally Posted by Anvil View Post
    I'm predicting a more of a planewalker origin story.Venser-esqe as in a person finding out he/she's a planeswalker and ultimately having to save a plane/his native plane.

I wonder, will there be a promo card a la pokemon ( first movie you got a movie promo MewTwo ) ? :P
    I think this is most likely. The writers of the film probably won't assume that the audience knows what a planeswalker is or does. Thus we get something like Star Wars IV, V, and VI where Obi-Wan and Yoda explain the Jedi stuff to Luke (and the audience at the same times) as he is becomes one.
    DCI Lvl II Judge

Thread Information