Thread: Mogis, God of Slaughter

Mogis, God of Slaughter

'Punisher' decks have always appealed to a certain crowd that perhaps don't fit into the prevailing happy-fun-times EDH mindset. I think that this new RB general is the best card printed so far to use as a centerpiece for this sort of "sit back on my wraths while you all die to sulfuric vortex" type of deck.

-It's cheap (Nekusar is 5 mana, Kaervek a whopping 7, etc)
    -The magical 7 power for 3-shotting people
    -It's a Sulfuric Vortex
    -Insane artwork

But the most important thing is the indestructibility, which means that it
    -Doesn't die to creature wipes (The obvious ones being Damnation-type cards but it's also interesting with things like Death Pits of Rath, Season of the Witch, Spreading Plague etc)
    -Doesn't die to pyrohemia/pestilence (even last laugh?), so you can sink all your mana into them and still keep them on the board forever
    -Doesn't die to everything-wipes, so you come out miles ahead after a Devastation/Obliterate/Jokulhaups/Wildfire/Desctructive Force

And the devotion mechanic has a lot of synergy with what you're trying to do anyway, i.e. lock up the game with pesky enchantments.

Obviously this strat isn't trying to be hugely competitive but it can certainly win games.

Things to consider:
    - How lopsided do you make the split between control cards and direct damage? (Cards that do both are quite good, like Inferno and so on)
    - You're playing a lot of board control which makes creatures a lot worse. Which do you include, if any?
    - Do you veer into more tricky damaging enchantments, like Megrim/Underworld dreams? (As opposed to straightforward Vortex-type effects). In the past I have found that if you commit too hard to this you often find all the wrong mix of stuff and end up not doing anything. (Like you draw all Howling Mines and Megrims instead of Mine/Dreams or Megrim/Bottomless Pit)
    - How much redundancy do you want? (Do you play all of Devastation/Obliterate/Jokulhaups/Wildfire/Desctructive Force? I would probably only go with 2 or so but some people might not agree)

I'll edit up a list later

mull to the skull
    Oct 2007
    SoCal

Re: Mogis, God of Slaughter

I'm currently working on a list for Mogis. After some though, I too agree that he's the board control / bleed out commander that the archetype needs. I think you've focused on the correct pillars of the deck:

1. Winning with big destruction effects that Mogis and his enchantments does not care about (ie Devastation, Jokulhaups).
    2. Creature-controlling enchantments that Mogis does not care about (ie Pestilence, The Abyss).

The rest of the deck should be, imo, filled with more disruption that inhibits opponents from functioning. Attacking resources with cards that you can break parity with are also pretty good (ie Cursed Totem, Torpor Orb).

I think the big question is how does the deck want to win? The big "blow the world up" spells probably work best, but would be nice with some damage amplification or support. Bloodchief Ascension is pretty much the perfect fit for this deck, and subsequently also a great finisher when combined with blowing the world up. I'll post a list soon as well.

The red destruction spells avoid enchantments for the most part, so a heavy-enchantments build seems like a great way to make Mogis a guy and dodge your own removal.

Browsing Gatherer, the following look interesting:

Bloodchief Ascension
    Bitterblossom
    Blood Moon
    Desolation
    Forsaken Wastes
    Goblin Assault
    Kuon, Ogre Ascendant
    Liability
    Necropotence
    Phyrexian Arena
    Sulferic Vortex
    Withering Wisps
    Antagonism
    Dark Suspicions
    Erebos, God of the Dead
    Furnace of Wrath
    Nether Void
    No Mercy
    Pestilence
    Pyrohemia
    Stranglehold
    Burning Sands
    Polluted Bonds
    Spreading Plague
    Subversion

Some of those are more or less powerful, but they're all useful for locking your opponents out of lands or dudes.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, you actually probably need a lot of enchantments in this deck. Seven devotion is going to be a problem even if you can meet it through both red and black cards, and if your general isn't alive it takes much longer to kill your opponents. The problem is that a lot of BR's enchantments are either kind of loose or assume you're playing a creature-heavy deck, which I don't think is a good fit for this style of Prison Mogis. I guess it depends on how many sweepers you end up running. A few haste creatures in the vein of Urakrask may end up being necessary to help keep Mogis alive and provide a reasonable clock against multiple players.

Commander: Mogis, God of Slaughter

Lands: 36
    Badlands
    Blood Crypt
    Bloodstained Mire
    Lavaclaw Reaches
    Dragonskull Summit
    Graven Cairns
    Sulfurous Springs
    Rakdos Carnarium
    Rocky Tar Pit
    Command Tower
    Bojuka Bog
    Leechridden Swamp
    Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    Volrath's Stronghold
    Ancient Tomb
    Wasteland
    Strip Mine
    9 Mountain
    9 Swamp

Ramp: 10
    Mana Crypt
    Sol Ring
    Talisman of Indulgence
    Rakdos Signet
    Chromatic Lantern
    Coalition Relic
    Veinfire Borderpost
    Worn Powerstone
    Thran Dynamo
    Gilded Lotus

Creatures: 8
    Master of Cruelties
    Blazing Specter
    Massacre Wurm
    Dwarven Blastminer
    Sire of Insanity
    Braids, Cabal Minion
    Myojin of Night's Reach

Hate: 20
    Nihil Spellbomb
    Cursed Totem
    Ankh of Mishra
    Torpor Orb
    Sulfuric Vortex
    Blood Moon
    Price of Glory
    Underworld Dreams
    Manabarbs
    Stranglehold
    Tainted Aether
    No Mercy
    Leyline of the Void
    Burning Sands
    Painful Quandary
    Polluted Bonds
    Spreading Plague
    Wound Reflection
    Havoc Festival
    Vicious Shadows

Draw/Tutor: 10
    Sensei's Divining Top
    Expedition Map
    Underworld Connections
    Phyrexian Arena
    Necropotence
    Wheel of Fortune
    Vampiric Tutor
    Demonic Tutor
    Beseech the Queen
    Diabolic Tutor

Spot Removal: 5
    Vandalblast
    Terminate
    Dreadbore
    Hero's Downfall
    Chaos Warp

Mass Removal: 5
    Oblivion Stone
    Blasphemous Act
    Chain Reaction
    Damnation
    Decree of Pain

Stuff: 5
    Sorin Markov
    Karn Liberated
    Bloodchief Ascension
    Exsanguinate
    Crucible of Worlds

This is just a first draft of my Mogis deck. I have no idea if it's good or not. But it has lots of punisher cards and that's cool. Pretty sure the mana base isn't that good. I'm sure there are a couple bad cards in here but I haven't played it at all yet.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    Commander: Mogis, God of Slaughter

Lands: 36
    Badlands
    Blood Crypt
    Bloodstained Mire
    Lavaclaw Reaches
    Dragonskull Summit
    Graven Cairns
    Sulfurous Springs
    Rakdos Carnarium
    Rocky Tar Pit
    Command Tower
    Bojuka Bog
    Leechridden Swamp
    Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    Volrath's Stronghold
    Ancient Tomb
    Wasteland
    Strip Mine
    9 Mountain
    9 Swamp

Ramp: 10
    Mana Crypt
    Sol Ring
    Talisman of Indulgence
    Rakdos Signet
    Chromatic Lantern
    Coalition Relic
    Veinfire Borderpost
    Worn Powerstone
    Thran Dynamo
    Gilded Lotus

Creatures: 8
    Master of Cruelties
    Blazing Specter
    Massacre Wurm
    Dwarven Blastminer
    Sire of Insanity
    Braids, Cabal Minion
    Myojin of Night's Reach

Hate: 20
    Nihil Spellbomb
    Cursed Totem
    Ankh of Mishra
    Torpor Orb
    Sulfuric Vortex
    Blood Moon
    Price of Glory
    Underworld Dreams
    Manabarbs
    Stranglehold
    Tainted Aether
    No Mercy
    Leyline of the Void
    Burning Sands
    Painful Quandary
    Polluted Bonds
    Spreading Plague
    Wound Reflection
    Havoc Festival
    Vicious Shadows

Draw/Tutor: 10
    Sensei's Divining Top
    Expedition Map
    Underworld Connections
    Phyrexian Arena
    Necropotence
    Wheel of Fortune
    Vampiric Tutor
    Demonic Tutor
    Beseech the Queen
    Diabolic Tutor

Spot Removal: 5
    Vandalblast
    Terminate
    Dreadbore
    Hero's Downfall
    Chaos Warp

Mass Removal: 5
    Oblivion Stone
    Blasphemous Act
    Chain Reaction
    Damnation
    Decree of Pain

Stuff: 5
    Sorin Markov
    Karn Liberated
    Bloodchief Ascension
    Exsanguinate
    Crucible of Worlds

This is just a first draft of my Mogis deck. I have no idea if it's good or not. But it has lots of punisher cards and that's cool. Pretty sure the mana base isn't that good. I'm sure there are a couple bad cards in here but I haven't played it at all yet.
    Haha pretty awesome list man. You try it out at all? How about Phyrexian Obliterator?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post

-Doesn't die to pyrohemia/pestilence (even last laugh?), so you can sink all your mana into them and still keep them on the board forever
    if you do not have devotion it loses its creature type. you would not be able to sink all of your mana into them and keep it on the board.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Quote Originally Posted by Qige View Post
    Haha pretty awesome list man. You try it out at all? How about Phyrexian Obliterator?

Yeah, it's pretty sweet. You definitely want a critical mass of punisher/hate cards. The mana base was bad and I changed that up but the rest has worked out pretty well. I think I needed another sweeper and put in Pestilence which does a pretty good job of cleaning out dorks and occasionally bigger creatures too whilst pumping Mogis at the same time.

I never thought of adding in Obliterator, at the very least he's a formidable wall.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty sweet. You definitely want a critical mass of punisher/hate cards. The mana base was bad and I changed that up but the rest has worked out pretty well. I think I needed another sweeper and put in Pestilence which does a pretty good job of cleaning out dorks and occasionally bigger creatures too whilst pumping Mogis at the same time.

I never thought of adding in Obliterator, at the very least he's a formidable wall.
    Also strionic resonator might help, and Zo-zu.

Thread Information