Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greed Stasis

[Deck] Greed Stasis

I’ve been testing and refining a Stasis deck over the last year with promising results. I have experimented a lot, but after a full year, the deck list has completely stabilized. I’ve drawn lots of inspiration from the Stasis thread in the Developing Decks forum, but I believe this is something quite different; its synergies speak for themselves for the most part, and if you experience it at full capacity, it is quite impressive. It is decidedly not a hard-lock strategy; it is a momentum based critical mass combo deck sort of like Elves or Enchantress. It does contain some serious raw card advantage, but its true secret is virtual card advantage: making cards useless on the opposing board and hand. I’ll start with the deck list and then I’ll discuss the card choices, the internal synergies and strategies, and some matchup analyses.

4 Tropical Island
    2 Savannah
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Misty Rainforest
    6 Forest
    1 Dryad Arbor

4 Sylvan Caryatid
    2 Noble Hierarch
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Scryb Ranger

4 Sword of War and Peace
    3 Horn of Greed
    3 Exploration
    4 Green Sun’s Zenith
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Stasis
    2 Garruk Wildspeaker
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Sideboard:

1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Ethersworn Canonist
    4 Oblivion Ring
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Equipoise

Why Stasis right now? What influence do new forces on the metagame such as True Name Nemesis have? Legacy is a format with efficiency at its core. Decks are designed to make the first three land drops, and spend all of their mana each turn. Instants may well be the most commonly played card type, whether it's to protect and clear the path for early creature drops like RUG Delver, to fuel a dizzying combo, or to counter a single key spell. The pace is usually quite fast. Stasis is the ultimate hate for this style of play. If people are tapping out every turn, it's not hard to find a back-breaking time to drop Stasis. After the first game, the opponent must adapt awkwardly to leaving open large amounts of contingency mana in case Stasis makes a sudden appearance. Almost every deck is seriously crippled by a turn two to four stasis. For two mana, the effect of preventing untapping is very powerful. The only problem, of course, is that you have to find a way to make the upkeep costs without withering away while your opponent finds a way out. You not only have to have your head above the water, you have to make progress on a win condition.

Some have tried with Forsaken City, but the card disadvantage, the Wasteland susceptibility, and the lack of mana for an actual win condition outside of Ebony Owl Netsuke don't bode well. This isn't Vintage, where we have Black Vise and Gush to enable an Island-only mana-base. So what should the goal of a Stasis build be? Firstly, it should be able to resolve a turn three stasis consistently if need be. It should then be able to continue to grow and even flourish under the soft lock, all while paying the upkeep. It should pass the Wasteland test. It shouldn't be so narrow-minded that a countered and Surgically-Extracted Stasis equates to a game loss. It should either slowly close out the options of the opponent as the game progresses, since they will see a lot of cards in the amount of turns you'll play, or it should seek to end the game quickly. Finally, it shouldn't take forever to win. Decking people under a hard lock is not an option.

So where do we start? We need to resolve Stasis consistently, so Enlightened Tutor makes the white splash inevitable. Now how do we grow under the lock? When I played mono-blue Stasis, I used a lot of effects to return Islands to my hand, like Daze, Thwart, and Ensnare so that you can keep the lock going. You unfortunately don't grow though, you are just barely able to scrape by at the rate of one mana per turn while dropping fresh Islands. Clearly returning lands to your hand at will is good though. This is where Quirion Ranger and Scryb Ranger step in. They can return a Forest (or a Tropical Island) to your hand, to untap the likes of Sylvan Caryatid or Noble Hierarch. You return a tapped land, untap a Caryatid, pay one blue, and net one mana free when you replay the land! Not only do they allow you to grow quickly in the early game, but they give you quite a lot of Wasteland resiliency as well. If you have two Rangers, you're basically Wasteland proof. One of my favorite plays is to bait out a Wasteland, then flash in a Scryb Ranger to save the land, untap the Cayatid, play Enlightened Tutor and get Stasis on their end step. The one Dryad Arbor has lots of synergies with Rangers, most notably the ability to block Umezawa’s Jitte and get bounced in response.

These four core creatures as the main engine for sustaining Stasis absolutely beg for the addition of Exploration, which allows for explosive growth, but you quickly run out of cards. That’s where Horn of Greed comes in. With an Exploration down and a ranger on board, you’re drawing two extra cards per turn as a byproduct of your mana production. Without some serious hindering, soon you’ll flood the board with more rangers and you’ll find additional Explorations. You grow nonlinearly. My favorite interaction here is to respond to the last Horn of Greed trigger in your turn with an Enlightened Tutor for whatever you need: Stasis, Sword of War and Peace, or an Exploration.

Green Sun's Zenith is an obvious choice to consistently get these creatures out. Unfortunately they will have a very obvious target on their heads once Stasis is out (especially the Rangers) and there are plenty of one mana kill spells to do away with one or even two of them. Mother of Runes can help here a lot (she can even protect twice in a turn with a Ranger), but I prefer the strategy of just maximizing the number of rangers to 8 and 4 Green Sun’s Zeniths, so that we can be sure that some of them survive. Sylvan Caryatid survives pretty much anything, so that’s why we have more rangers than Hierarchs and Caryatids. Now here’s where the biggest synergy comes in: Sword of War and Peace. If you manage to equip a Scryb Ranger with Sword of War and Peace, she has protection from pretty much everything except Abrupt Decay, and usually the Sword will be targeted instead of the Ranger, since they’ll suspect that you’ll just flash in more Scryb Rangers. Your hand will be full due to Horn of Greed, their hand will be full due to Stasis and Horn of Greed, and that averages out to about a 10 to 14 point life swing each attack. Sword of War and Peace can be active as early as turn 3, which is often enough to steal games. Most importantly, Sword of War and Peace forces a response, your opponent cannot just wait untapped to spring upon you as soon as you drop Stasis, they have to devote their mana to build up a board presence, and this is when you drop Stasis.

Finally, we have our Planeswalkers. All of Garruk Wildspeaker’s abilities are relevant here, providing beasts for edict effects, untapping lands en masse, and providing a critical alternate win condition if Sword of War and Peace has been hit by Pithing Needle or Phyrexian Revoker. All you need is about 4 Rangers, a couple of beasts, and the -4 on Garruk. I used to include 3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor, but Horn of Greed proved to be more reliable and resilient. This one Jace is mostly here to diversify from Horn of Greed for our card advantage, as well as to provide an alternate win condition against the likes of Rest In Peace/Energy Field.

Some other cards that I tested at various points are Hidden Strings, which is sometimes fantastic but most often not, Sword of Feast and Famine, which has the critical drawback of protection from green, Equipoise, which is great against Phyrexian Revokers and Pithing Needles, as well as against the Miracles deck, but otherwise it’s usually dead weight. Stoic Angel as a fifth Stasis which you can Green Sun Zenith for against aggressive strategies was interesting, but it proved to be mostly un-needed. Vorapede is an absolute monster against Veteran Explorer decks, and it’s an interesting alternate win condition, but I found myself cutting it from the main deck. Sheltering Ancient is really fun against tempo strategies where you have to drop Stasis early, but I found Sword of War and Peace to be more reliable.

On to the matchup strategies:

UWR Delver:
    Your priority is absolutely to equip a Scryb Ranger or even a Quirion Ranger with a Sword of War and Peace. This often means playing the sword first, and waiting for an opportune time to flash in the ranger, and have mana for a double equip on 2 Rangers to avoid Swords to Plowshares and Lightning Bolt. True Name Nemesis is mostly useless against our deck; at most he swings once at Garruk. The problem is the Delver of Secrets backed up by Force of Will, Lightning Bolt and Swords to Plowshares. The only card in their entire deck that an equipped Scryb Ranger can’t deal with is a Batterskull germ with an Umezawa’s Jitte equipped. This is why we side in an extra Dryad Arbor in exchange for a Forest to be sure.

Miracles:
    Terminus hurts, but just hold back your creatures and only expose two at a time. Here your priority is to find Garruk Wildspeaker, he is the ultimate insurance against Terminus with Stasis out. We side in Vendilion Clique and Seal of Primordium, and we can take out a Dryad Arbor and an Exploration.

Burn:
    Just rush to equip a Sword of War and Peace on literally anything that can attack, and it’s usually game over.

High Tide, Storm, Elves:
    Our first game is unfavorable, our only chance is to race with the Sword of War and Peace. Once we side in 4 Ethersworn Canonist (for our 4 Stasis) and Gaddock Teeg (for a Quirion Ranger) things become favorable. Being able to Enlightened Tutor or Green Sun’s Zenith for these guys is very powerful, and alongside our acceleration, Horn of Greed engine, and Sword of War and Peace, we can be competitive.

Veteran Explorer, 12 Post, Thopter Tezzeret, Enchantress
    These matchups are somewhat favorable and very enjoyable, I don’t side anything for the most part. 12 Post is a mess since most of their lands are coming in tapped, and it takes them a while to get going. The only thing you’re worried about is the Tabernacle. Veteran Explorer is more of a challenge because of Pernicious Deed, but you can usually drop a Stasis before the Deed goes off to force them to search for land drops to blow it, and you can extract enough of an advantage during that time by sculpting what you leave in your hand. Against Thopter Tezzeret make sure to side in the Equipoise since it just devours their disruptive artifacts as well as the tokens. If you think Thalia, Guardian of Thraben hoses Enchantress, try Stasis. Their best play is to discard to zero with Solitary Confinement so that the Sword won’t hurt as much. Just be aware of Oblivion Ring and drop an extra Stasis if you suspect it’s coming.

Jund Depths:
    Here the tabernacle will hose you. Stasis won’t come into this matchup, but the inherent synergies in Rangers and Caryatids can carry you out of Tabernacle. Horn of Greed and Planeswalkers are essential. Eventually you can equip with the Sword if Punishing Fire hasn’t already gotten you. If this deck becomes more popular, I’d side in Tajuru Preserver.

Sneak and Show:
    This is the most uninteresting matchup. Just side in 4 Oblivion Ring for 4 Stasis and pray while you race with the Sword.

Death and Taxes:
    This is a tough one. It’s the combination of Swords to Plowshares, and Phyrexian Revoker. You’ll want to side in Equipoise, but be aware that if you have as many artifacts as them you won’t be able to phase out the Revoker. The one saving grace is that Sword of War and Peace gives us protection from white, but always beware of Aether Vile on 3 for that Flickerwisp.

Re: [Deck] Greed Stasis

Here's a list that milks Dryad Arbor for all its worth, fueling the Horn of Greed/Exploration/Ranger synergy. The sideboard is adjusted for the prevalence of Pernicious Deed and Abrupt Decay, just swap two swords for Hidden Strings. Your openings also sometimes mimic Elves, so you'll get Revokers on Heritage Druids.

4 Tropical Island
    2 Savannah
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Forest
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Dryad Arbor

4 Sylvan Caryatid
    1 Noble Hierarch
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Scryb Ranger

4 Sword of War and Peace
    4 Horn of Greed
    4 Exploration
    4 Green Sun’s Zenith
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Stasis
    1 Garruk Wildspeaker

Sideboard:

1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Ethersworn Canonist
    4 Oblivion Ring
    1 Equipoise
    2 Hidden Strings

Mar 2012
    Chicago

Re: Greed Stasis

Were you just smashing Joe Lossett's face?

Quote Originally Posted by gregtron View Post
    Were you just smashing Joe Lossett's face?
    Yes it was Greg, pay attention if your watching the stream.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

let me address the elephant in the room.....why no feast and famine... especially over war and peace?
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    let me address the elephant in the room.....why no feast and famine... especially over war and peace?
    He stated in the primer that he does not run it due to the protection from green.

Re: [Deck] Greed Stasis

So the deck is still evolving, I made some changes and put up the best performance so far, 3-1 in the Legacy daily, 7th out of 28, including a lucky win over Joe Lossett (who wrecked me with Miracles last time). Here's the most up to date list. I made some changes primarily to make the deck more resilient to creature sweepers like what Joe's Miracles deck did to me.

4 Tropical Island
    2 Savannah
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Misty Rainforest
    6 Forest
    1 Dryad Arbor

4 Sylvan Caryatid
    1 Noble Hierarch
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Scryb Ranger

3 Sword of War and Peace
    3 Horn of Greed
    3 Exploration
    4 Green Sun’s Zenith
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Stasis
    3 Garruk Wildspeaker
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Sideboard:

1 Garruk Wildspeaker
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Ethersworn Canonist
    4 Oblivion Ring
    2 Equipoise
    1 Rest in Peace

The first round was against Affinity, where I luckily stabilized after quick Cranial Platings and dropped a Stasis then grew exponentially. Then in the second game my Stasis got Swan Songed, so I had to ultimate Garruk to get the job done, here the 5/5 trample Bird actually made a big difference.

My second round was against Tezzeret, where I couldn't find my Scryb Rangers and actually lost Garruk to a flock of Baleful Strix and then things went downhill the first game, especially since Ensnaring Bridge was holding back the beasts. The second game I rushed out with Garruk and the Sword to manage to kill Tezzeret. Then in the third game, a Chalice for 2 was blocking off Stasis so I had to pull out Equipoise to phase it out, then things got out of hand with both a Horn of Greed engine going, and Jace, soon everything was phased out and the card advantage was overwhelming.

Round 3 was against Jund, here multiple Thoughtseizes severely crippled my hand and then Umezawa's Jitte was the followup. I managed to lay out enough Rangers to absorb the Jitte counters and drop Stasis, but it got pyroblasted.

Round 4 was against Death & Taxes. The first game I had an absolutely explosive hand; I had a Caryatid, a Scryb Ranger, an Exploration, Garruk and Jace and Stasis out before the Batterskull could land. Game 2 an early Jitte took me out and I couldn't keep the Dryad Arbor alive to block. Game 3 there was a Jitte, a Phyrexian Revoker, a Thalia and a Manriki Gusari and I was on the back foot so I dropped an Equipoise and waited with Stasis in my hand while only having a Caryatid out. I finally drew Garruk and cast Stasis, keeping everything phased out across the board. I was exposed to Wasteland on my lone Trop for a couple of turns until one of my 12 outs in a Ranger came to me, then I grew exponentially. I cast Horn of Greed which accelerated me, but which also may have been a mistake since now an Aether Vial was ticking up on the other side, threatening an end of turn Flickerwisp in 3 turns. Luckily with both a Horn, 2 Explorations, and a Jace, I found a second Stasis, but instead just went for the kill by dropping a Sword and using Garruk's ultimate.

I'll watch Joe's stream and see if I can answer any questions if anyone had any.

Jul 2010
    twitch.tv/oarsman79

Well I certainly got smashed by this deck on stream tonight if anyone wants to watch.
    http://www.twitch.tv/oarsman79/b/498795395 The match starts 56 minutes into the clip.

I was a little disparaging towards the Swords, since I think they might be better as just about anything else. It is mentioned in the original post that Sword will draw an Abrupt Decay because the other player will have too many cards in hand from Stasis to survive. This situation will never come up, as the Decay will always target Stasis. That in itself doesn't make Sword bad, but I just don't get when it is good. If you have Stasis set up, you can win with just about anything (like your Planeswalkers).

Since you have GSZ, an Eternal Witness might not be bad. You could add more planeswalkers, or just move some of the tutor targets (probably a canonist and oblivion ring) into the main. The upside of that is creating more space in the board. You mention that Stasis isn't worth much against Depths, but with extra room maybe you can fit in a copy of Back to Basics to sideboard in and tutor for. A copy of Chill or Sphere of Law wouldn't be the worst thing to have available either if you did cut the Swords.

Jul 2010
    twitch.tv/oarsman79

I got distracted while writing my post and I see that FatPow got a post in before I did. I think the new list looks better overall. Dropping a Sword was a good step. With more Planeswalkers in the deck, I am curious whether you will still find the remaining Swords necessary.

Also, sorry if I came off too harsh when you didn't bounce my Chalice and kill Tezzeret. You clearly wrecked me anyway, so perhaps you were right to play it that way.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Cageofpancakes View Post
    He stated in the primer that he does not run it due to the protection from green.
    considering it turns any creature into an enabler for stasis it seems like a much better option. Protection from green while irrelevant is offset by the amazing trigger...
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Quote Originally Posted by oarsman View Post
    I got distracted while writing my post and I see that FatPow got a post in before I did. I think the new list looks better overall. Dropping a Sword was a good step. With more Planeswalkers in the deck, I am curious whether you will still find the remaining Swords necessary.

Also, sorry if I came off too harsh when you didn't bounce my Chalice and kill Tezzeret. You clearly wrecked me anyway, so perhaps you were right to play it that way.
    I love how salty a lot of the comments were during that hour… losing to odd rogue strategies is always frustrating and funny.

The deck looks brilliant - t1 Exploration into turn 2 Garruk and turn 3 Jace looks amazing. The Equipoise combo with Stasis is sweet too (with Stasis, the opponent's permanents get removed forever!)

Have you considered some way to bounce & replay Stasis? Maybe [card]Tradewind Rider[/card] - could bounce opponent's untapped lands or problematic permanents and bounce & replay your own stasis as well. Between Garruk, 14 creatures + 4 GSZ, Tradewind Rider could be decent as a 2-of.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpoe View Post
    The deck looks brilliant - t1 Exploration into turn 2 Garruk and turn 3 Jace looks amazing. The Equipoise combo with Stasis is sweet too (with Stasis, the opponent's permanents get removed forever!)

Have you considered some way to bounce & replay Stasis? Maybe [card]Tradewind Rider[/card] - could bounce opponent's untapped lands or problematic permanents and bounce & replay your own stasis as well. Between Garruk, 14 creatures + 4 GSZ, Tradewind Rider could be decent as a 2-of.
    Thanks! I took a look at Tradewind Rider, it's intriguing, but I think Equipoise is better at dealing with troublesome permanents as long as their lands, artifacts or creatures. I guess that's assuming you've got Stasis going though, I guess Tradewind could help out before Stasis lands, maybe I'll try him.

I understand people's apprehension about the Sword. There are upsides - it's a fast clock, it can keep you alive when you don't have Stasis, it protects your Rangers from lightning bolt, punishing fire and swords to plowshares, and you can block just about anything other than a Tombstalker or a Batterskull. Stasis is just a soft lock, and people can often find a way out of it given say 5 turns. SoWaP often gives them 2 turns. I think it's worthwhile to have in the more tempo and aggro matchups, it's fantastic against Goblins for example. If you manage to equip it against UWR Delver, the only relevant card left is Batterskull. Having 4 was probably overkill though, there are some games where it's effect is so obvious that it's the most vocal of the cards in terms of trying to keep a slot, but now that there are 3 Garruk, that is just as viable a win condition.

Perhaps we cut the sword down to one, move back to 4 Enlightened Tutors, and have another slot for a silver bullet E-Tutor target. I think that should be one Equipoise in the main, since there aren't many matchups where it under-performs. It hits Pithing Needles, Phyrexian Revokers, Tabernacle (after some initial pain), Umezawa's Jitte, Thalia, Chalice of the Void, Trinisphere, Lodestone Golem, etc. There's one really good argument for it in the main: if you phase out a Germ token, the Batterskull never comes back, regardless of whether Stasis is out or not.

I like the extra room in the board. I like Back to Basics against Loam. I'm also trying out Dense Foliage against burn and UWR Delver. Here's a tentative list taking Joe's seasoned advice.

2 Savannah
    4 Tropical island
    6 Forest
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Dryad Arbor

4 Sylvan Caryatid
    1 Noble Hierarch
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Scryb Ranger

3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    3 Garruk Wildspeaker
    3 Horn of Greed
    3 Exploration
    4 Stasis
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Equipoise
    1 Sword of War and Peace

Sideboard:

1 Equipoise
    2 Back to Basics
    1 Dense Foliage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Oblivion Ring
    4 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Gaddock Teeg

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    considering it turns any creature into an enabler for stasis it seems like a much better option. Protection from green while irrelevant is offset by the amazing trigger...
    So the protection from green prevents your Rangers from untapping the creature, which means you have to pack a lot of vigilance guys. I tried a list with several Sword of Feast and Famine and Stoic Angel with Hidden Strings, but it didn't work as well.

how do you deal with all the massive /-1 spells around?

you might end with just Caryatid online.. imho you should capitalize with an early Sword or Garruk than Stasis.

That brings anything to turn 4 at least.. you need a shitload of counters to get there..

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

@ OP:

This deck should be renamed.
    Choose one:
    * Greedy Stasis
    * Horny Stasis

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post

you might end with just Caryatid online.. imho you should capitalize with an early Sword or Garruk than Stasis.

That brings anything to turn 4 at least.. you need a shitload of counters to get there..
    You can play around things like Golgari Charm by only exposing one or two rangers, equipping the sword, then flashing in Scryb Rangers when they die and equipping the Scryb Ranger.

In those matchups Equipoise is pretty useless, how about a Parapet in the sideboard?

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post

I tried out a list with 8 counterspells today and as I suspected it didn't work very well. I believe that packing counterspells in this deck is similar to trying to pack counterspells in Enchantress, it's a critical mass combo deck and every card that doesn't immediately and permanently add to your critical mass takes away from your momentum.

I find it interesting that countermagic isn't working out for you. I know it's probably hard to find items to cut, but I really feel like you could do with a couple of spell pierces in there. I'd be interested to see what happens if you cut a couple of the Jace's for pierces.

That said, you obviously have much more experience with the deck than me. Just my two sense, though. It'd be nice to protect your pieces a little better with pierces.

Regardless, I'm watching this thread with extreme interest. This deck seems incredibly fun to play and I may end up building it or something similar in the near future.

So just gold fished some with this deck and it can definitely get nuts. I had turn 1 exploration, GSZ then turn 2 Quirion stasis pass. After that turn 3 horn + enlightened tutor for a second exploration and then it just got really degenerate. Drawing 2 cards and 3 lands per turn gets pretty crazy and then Scryb ranger got suited up with a sword for beats. Really like the deck, but I think it will have trouble with some of the midrange tempo decks like UWR delver and RUG delver.

Thread Information