Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greed Stasis

Re: Greed Stasis

I would add some strong creature as plan B (1x Tarmogoyf, 1x Thrun...) something like that.

or you can pack a whole plan B with Natural Order and Progenitus. This deck can play a NO on turn 2. Plan A is a combo deck which dies if opponent keep a Spell Snare/FoW/Swan Song/Qasali Pridemage/Abrupt Decay/Zealous Persecution/Golgari Charm/Krosan Grip/Wear-Tear....

I would play Crop Rotation for Cradle and Boseju and Natural Order

Quote Originally Posted by Contract Killer View Post
    So just gold fished some with this deck and it can definitely get nuts. I had turn 1 exploration, GSZ then turn 2 Quirion stasis pass. After that turn 3 horn + enlightened tutor for a second exploration and then it just got really degenerate. Drawing 2 cards and 3 lands per turn gets pretty crazy and then Scryb ranger got suited up with a sword for beats. Really like the deck, but I think it will have trouble with some of the midrange tempo decks like UWR delver and RUG delver.
    :) That's where this deck shines I think, and I think the list should be fully aimed at just going for that situation as much as possible. UWR Delver and RUG Delver are hard due to the 8 removal, the Sword of War and Peace is really crucial here, and you have to play it first, then in one crucial turn flash in a bunch of Rangers and desperately equip to all of them. Once you've equipped you're good to go. Against RUG they don't always have the bolt, but UWR will always have a plow/bolt. We do have 12 virtual rangers though so some will survive. Playing Stasis on turn 2 might not be a good plan against these decks, I'd go with more redundancy before committing with Stasis. You don't mind much if Stasis gets Wear/Teared or Abrupt Decayed, but you do care a lot if a Scryb Ranger dies and then you can't pay the upkeep costs on Stasis.

I ended up cutting the Equipoise from the main, since its main purpose is to phase out artifacts and Horn of Greed is too good not to play here. Also, Poron, plan B seems to be just beat with the Sword and Garruk beasts, which is streamlined with the plan A and doesn't require cutting anything for Tarmogoyfs or Thruns (although I do love those cards). Also Crop Rotation is a strong card for protection from Wasteland, but we're already pretty much immune to Wasteland, so Crop Rotation would be purely for a separate combo which would detract from our initial plan. I disagree that you're screwed if they keep one answer, this deck explodes onto the board and the options grow nonlinearly, it's often confusing for them which piece they should counter or remove, since there's so much redundancy. Do they Abrupt Decay the Horn, or save it for a Stasis? If they don't Abrupt Decay the Horn, you'll draw into 2 Stasis.

Here's my up to date list:

2 Savannah
    4 Tropical Island
    5 Forest
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Windswept Heath

2 Dryad Arbor
    1 Noble Hierarch
    4 Sylvan Caryatid
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Scryb Ranger

3 Horn of Greed
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Mirri's Guile
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Sword of War and Peace
    4 Exploration
    3 Garruk Wildspeaker
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Stasis

Sideboard:

1 Wilt-Leaf Liege
    1 Parapet
    1 Equipoise
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Arcane Laboratory
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Rest in Peace
    4 Oblivion Ring
    4 Ethersworn Canonist

The 2 Dryad Arbor is a nod to Stoneforge Mystic, and with 4 Exploration and a virtual 12 Rangers, you can pretty much always hold off a Batterskull or Jitte without stalling. Maybe this should be 3. The Mirri's Guile replaces one Enlightened Tutor for card quality in the long run instead of in one shot, and synergy with fetchlands. Note that the Mirri's Guile is still strong even when you've got a Horn of Greed engine going, since you can fetch in response to the Horn of Greed trigger. In the board, Parapet has been great against Golgari Charm, and Wilt-Leaf Liege is fantastic against an early Liliana when Golgari Charms would follow.

Re: [Deck] Greed Stasis

So I will love to try this deck. I am going to scg stl this weekend and if I can get some testing in I will try it. Its a choice between this or parfait. Have you tried blind obedience in the sb? That card has been a HOUSE vs storm, elves and fast aggro we are testing tomorrow night and I will toss this together to test it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This past weekend I took Stasis to a top-8 of the local monthly Legacy tournament at Face to Face games here in Montreal. People wanted to split the prize so I don't know how well I would have done. It was a 34 person tournament. The main change I did was to remove Jace and replace him with Brainstorm, and also to add more Wilt-Leaf Lieges in the sideboard for BUG. I was lucky in that I didn't play against Elves or Storm the whole time, I won against Esper Deathblade, Shardless BUG, Burn, and lands, and I lost to RUG Delver and a deck with quadruple Archive Trap and Surgical Extraction. Here's the list.

2 Savannah
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Forest
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Dryad Arbor

1 Noble Hierarch
    4 Sylvan Caryatid
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Scryb Ranger

3 Horn of Greed
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Sword of War and Peace
    4 Exploration
    3 Garruk Wildspeaker
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Stasis

Sideboard:

3 Wilt-Leaf Liege
    1 Equipoise
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Rest in Peace
    4 Oblivion Ring
    4 Ethersworn Canonist

I haven't tried Blind Obedience, I tend to think that the soft lock is enough as long as you're pressuring to win with the sword or with Garruk's ultimate relatively quickly, so I avoid hard lock cards as they're not much use without Stasis, and I'd rather play a win-condition alongside Stasis instead of tightening the lock. The same goes with Frozen Aether, I haven't tried it, but I just suspect it's better to play a win condition and go for it quickly rather than try to squeeze someone completely out of the game, since given enough time - or enough draws - they may find a way out completely.

One thing that was definitely validated for me was to not commit Stasis to the board unless you're really under pressure, or you have contingency plans i.e., multiple Rangers. The number one way to set that up is with Horn of Greed and Exploration, starting with one Ranger and then quickly adding up to three or four. Given a board of Exploration, Ranger, Caryatid, lands, I would definitely E-Tutor for the Horn instead of Stasis unless you're really under pressure. That has me thinking that maybe we should be running 4 Horn of Greed, and 3 Stasis, given that we want the Horn first and then we want the Stasis. However, Stasis is more likely to get countered, and it's often a bad idea to play two Horns since you actually start to run out of cards in your library pretty quickly.

There's another tournament next week and I'm fairly sure that if we want to go the turboland route, this is the way to do it:

2 Savannah
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Forest
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Dryad Arbor

2 Noble Hierarch
    3 Sylvan Caryatid
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Scryb Ranger

4 Horn of Greed
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Sword of War and Peace
    4 Exploration
    3 Garruk Wildspeaker
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Stasis

Sideboard:

3 Wilt-Leaf Liege
    1 Equipoise
    2 Krosan Grip
    1 Rest in Peace
    4 Oblivion Ring
    4 Ethersworn Canonist

However that's not what I'll be playing next week. This list excels over slow decks with spot removal like Esper Deathblade, but it doesn't do well against decks with significant amounts of sweepers like Miracles or if a Pernicious Deed manages to come down. Instead I'll be playing this:

2 Savannah
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Forest
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Dryad Arbor

3 Noble Hierarch
    3 Sylvan Caryatid
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Scryb Ranger

4 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Equipoise
    1 Horn of Greed
    1 Sword of War and Peace
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Exploration
    3 Garruk Wildspeaker
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Stasis

Sideboard:

3 Wilt-Leaf Liege
    3 Krosan Grip
    1 Rest in Peace
    4 Oblivion Ring
    4 Ethersworn Canonist

Also with this list, now that Horn of Greed is a tutorable 1-of, we can pack Equipoise main and now we have removal. It's a one-sided Balance every turn under Stasis, and it solves a lot of problems with Brimaz and his buddies the Phyrexian Revokers.

I just wanted to say that tonight on the daily I absolutely dominated ziggy_stardust playing UWR Delver with this deck, in a way that there was no way to come back from, and my computer crashed with more than enough time to ultimate garruk and attack with a sword equipped scryb ranger, and he didn't concede in the 2 minutes of me logging back in, so he gets the wall of shame here, and here is the list that dominated him. So it is very possible to fight through 8 removal and dozens of counterspells.

2 Savannah
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Forest
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Dryad Arbor

2 Noble Hierarch
    3 Sylvan Caryatid
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Scryb Ranger

4 Horn of Greed
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Sword of War and Peace
    4 Exploration
    3 Garruk Wildspeaker
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Stasis

Sideboard:

3 Wilt-Leaf Liege
    1 Equipoise
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Rest in Peace
    3 Oblivion Ring
    4 Ethersworn Canonist

The idea here is to go for the turbo-land plan in the main deck which is good against delver decks, and then side out 3 Horn of Greed and an Exploration into 2 Jace, 1 Sylvan and 1 Equipoise for the matches that need Equipoise or are slower like Miracles. Anyway if you're reading ziggy_stardust I hope we play again.

Hi Fatpow,
    Today i sleeved your last list and i played a lot of games.

i like your deck a lot but it is casual until this moment. you might be draw cards with no interaction each other.
    For example you have on board quirion/scryb and noble/caryatid and your draw is a zenith, totaly dead card, i wanted
    with zenith an exploration effect on a creature and i didn't have one and i think one azusa or mul daya needed main.
    on the other hand u might have exploration and greed on board and you draw tutor, okay it is not 100% dead card
    because tutor has more target than zenith but without the rangers on board tutor is little bit useless.
    Also horn of greed isn't always castable without an exploration and ranger, so i think four copies of this card i don't like.

i played vs show n tell and i can't do anything.
    Also garruk sometimes is broken but the most time is ok, yes i know under stasis is awsome but from what i understand you don't
    play stasis if you don't have at least one ranger and one mana creature on board, but there is a small chance having on board 2 tropical and garruk under stasis. I would prefer tamiyo better than garruk or even kiora.

and i think -1 savanah +1 tundra

Divert could be a good SB card for this deck. It's good against Abrupt Decay, discard, and counters, which seem to be the biggest weaknesses. If they wait for mana to play around it, they get behind to the Exploration/Horn engine.

Show and Tell is indeed a weak matchup but you can't win them all. Also Show and Tell is so uninteresting I don't mind losing to it. It seems to be on the decline anyway. It has a lot of good matchups such as Esper Deathblade, Tezzeret, 12-Post, and even Jund. Post-board you can fix a lot of the bad matchups such as storm and high tide. I've been working on the sideboard mostly. Also I've decided that while 4 Horn of Greed and 4 Exploration is the most explosive, having 1 Equipoise main is necessary in many matchups, and then you should minimize the number of artifacts that you have.

Here's what I've been playing, note the extreme sideboard action against elves and dredge which have been popular lately:

4 Tropical Island
    2 Savannah
    4 Forest
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Misty Rainforest

2 Dryad Arbor
    2 Noble Hierarch
    3 Sylvan Caryatid
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Scryb Ranger

1 Equipoise
    1 Horn of Greed
    1 Sword of War and Peace
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Exploration
    3 Stasis
    3 Garruk Wildspeaker
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Brainstorm

Sideboard:

4 Grafdigger's Cage
    4 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Moat
    3 Wilt-Leaf Liege

I've 3-1'd once with this deck, once with it in its original configuration, I went 3-2 in a paper tournament, and with the full turboland configuration it went top 8 at a 6 round paper tournament.

I maintain that Abrupt Decay is not a problem. If you have a card advantage engine going, they cannot afford to trade 1-for-1 forever, you will outpace them. Also, Equipoise can keep them on one land. Divert is pretty narrow and dilutes your combo action.

I've come to realize that Enlightened Tutor is poor in an opening hand, while Noble Hierarch is strong, so I've modified the above list by swapping 2 Enlightened Tutor for 2 Noble Hierarch.

Lately I've tried something new: RUG Greed Stasis. I 3-1'd an event today with this list:

4 Tropical Island
    2 Taiga
    4 Forest
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Misty Rainforest

2 Dryad Arbor
    4 Birds of Paradise
    2 Sylvan Caryatid
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Scryb Ranger

4 Horn of Greed
    4 Exploration
    4 Stasis
    3 Garruk Wildspeaker
    3 Ral Zarek
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Brainstorm

Hi,

Have you tried the new card : Courser of Kruphix ?
    - It's a body
    - It can help you having lands faster
    - You can sure trick with it for having lots of life

Jace's phantasm may be an idea too, if your opponent is under Stasis and discards a lot, it can be a 5/5 Fly creature early in the game.

Jun 2008
    Denver, CO

I like the concept. I just can't believe you can't make room for Daze in a Stasis deck.

now that we've seen Nissa, Worldwaker would you consider that it would be a good card to switch with Garruk?

Quote Originally Posted by grokh View Post
    Hi,

Have you tried the new card : Courser of Kruphix ?
    - It's a body
    - It can help you having lands faster
    - You can sure trick with it for having lots of life

Jace's phantasm may be an idea too, if your opponent is under Stasis and discards a lot, it can be a 5/5 Fly creature early in the game.
    Courser is definitely not main deck material, but he may be a great 1-of as a sideboard card against burn. The matchup is great against burn... IF you have a sword of war and peace active by turn 3, and IF you don't get smashed to smithereensed. Courser is bolt-proof and could represent 3 or 4 life a turn. With Eidolon of the Great Revel out there now, Courser in addition to sword of war and peace may be necessary, so he may be good as a one-of in the sideboard.

Regarding Daze, I've tried it, it seemed to water down the deck and disrupt the ridiculous card drawing engine that is basically every one of the cards already in the deck. Also many of the good spells against us can't be countered, like Abrupt Decay. You want to keep them off of mana so they just can't cast them, or if they can, you've flooded the board with extras anyway. Against Bug Delver I'd rather just draw multiple stasis and play both of them, than sit with a daze in my hand.

Nissa is interesting, but 5 mana for something that doesn't get aggressive to tap down their stuff is tough. We only have about 4-6 forests so the ultimate is not very impressive compared to Garruk's ultimate, and I've found I usually only have a max of 2-3 lands out.

I played at Face a Face again last weekend, where I placed top-8 out of 20ish people, but fell to Esper Deathblade which is usually a good matchup. I'm now back to white instead of red as a third color... Ral Zarek is okay, but white makes your sideboard much much better, and equipoise is sometimes necessary and often good, especially against miracles (shuts off entreat, preps them for stasis). Also Noble Hierarchs are much better than BOP's since they allow Scryb Rangers to threaten Planeswalkers. With the added emphasis of attacking with Scrybs, Hidden Strings becomes good as long as they're a deck that's light on removal. Since you can do 4 a turn with a scryb ranger, you don't necessarily have to rely on Garruk's ultimate. Here's my most updated list: a nice addition is Azusa to GSZ for.

1 Savannah
    4 Tropical Island
    5 Forest
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Windswept Heath

2 Dryad Arbor

4 Noble Hierarch
    2 Sylvan Caryatid
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Scryb Ranger
    1 Azusa, Lost but Seeking

4 Horn of Greed
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Exploration
    2 Garruk Wildspeaker
    2 Equipoise
    1 Sword of War and Peace
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Stasis

Sideboard:

2 Hidden Strings
    1 Wilt-Leaf Liege
    1 Courser of Kruphix
    2 Eidolon of Rhetoric
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Garruk Wildspeaker

I must have placed 3-1 online about a dozen times already, but I usually play in the earlier East Coast daily, since I work early in the morning, so I've yet to get this list posted. :(

I like this deck. I'm going to try it out and see what happens for a while. Should be an interesting change from playing Lands all the time. But I have a love affair with Stasis as a card.

Hey man,

I was at Face to Face, played against you, and just wanted to give you some public props for your deck. It was, as I said back then, really impressive to see a Stasis deck work and to be honest it obliterated the poor TES I was trying to play.

Guys, give this man some credits. He knows what he's doing and this Greed Stasis thing is on its way to crush your local meta!

Hey man thanks, good games!

So I finally got a 3-1 that posted:

http://www.mtgo-stats.com/cards/Stasis

I played against 2 Shardless BUGs, a Miracles who got a bit unlucky on the blind flips (6-0 in games up until now), and then a Painter deck took me down 0-2.

So far if you look up "Stasis" as well as "Horn of Greed" it's the only deck that shows up...

It took me a solid year to get this list posted... I went from coming in at 0-4 or 1-3 every time, to finishing midway most of the time, to an even split of 3-1, 2-2, and 1-3.

All that to say: this may not be the most refined build of Stasis possible... I took many ideas from the original thread here:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ghlight=Stasis

and essentially my innovation that made my deck specifically start winning more frequently was to make it also a "turboland" Stasis deck with 4 Horn of Greed and upping the exploration effect count. This was very effective in many match-ups... but falls flat against combo, and isn't fantastic against Miracles... a good portion of the meta-game right now.

So if you're looking to break Stasis to the point where it can actually 4-0 and have a decent chance at a big tournament, I would suggest going to the original thread, and brewing your own from there. The deck that I ended up with after a year of testing is extremely effective in a certain metagame (Tezzerets, cloudpost MUD, enchantress, life from the loam, 12-post) and okay against the fair decks, but mostly bad against miracles and combo. We need to come up with a deck that's strong across the board.

I know that other lists that have been suggested such as using a straight blue/red Ral Zarek style with lots of counterspells would have their advantages in certain areas, but they also have lots of disadvantages.

What do I think is the future of Stasis? Someone needs to break Root Maze. Root Maze was discussed a little in the original thread. It is interesting in that it turns on Forsaken City, since the Wastelands will be coming in tapped. And I just realized that Forsaken City actually cannot be Pithing Needled. It severely hinders even combo decks from the first turn... those lotus petals and chrome moxes either give you storm or mana, your choice... your fetchlands take 2 turns to pay off... if only it hit LED. It presents many deckbuilding problems, but I think the community is up to the task. I know I will be! :)

Aug 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

And now a mention on SCG!

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...-Symmetry.html

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by FatPow2 View Post
    What do I think is the future of Stasis? Someone needs to break Root Maze. Root Maze was discussed a little in the original thread. It is interesting in that it turns on Forsaken City, since the Wastelands will be coming in tapped. And I just realized that Forsaken City actually cannot be Pithing Needled. It severely hinders even combo decks from the first turn... those lotus petals and chrome moxes either give you storm or mana, your choice... your fetchlands take 2 turns to pay off... if only it hit LED. It presents many deckbuilding problems, but I think the community is up to the task. I know I will be! :)
    I don't think Root Maze is the way to go because it disables our strongest card to break the synergy of Stasis: Quirion Ranger (1 mana, only cost is your land drop!).

When I started with Stasis I tried a lot around Forsaken City and Root Maze, the problem is that you don't always have Root Maze in place before the Wasteland hits the table. The City alone makes it hard for you to win because you need a card for every mana you want and your handsize doesn't grow on it's own. Bottom line: Either the city was wasted or I hit dead ends not able to free up mana. It was terrible. But maybe someone can find a better list.
    Forsaken City is not a bad card in Stasis, it works well to play around the drawback of Quirion Ranger or as emergency backup in case of disruption and it essentially doesn't cost you a slot because you can play it as a land drop in your list (it practically has no downside under stasis except for not counting as an island). You probably don't need it in your list though as dorks and exploration are another way to enable Stasis under ranger.

Tbh, I think we need help from Wizards. Some cheap, evasive creature that has a hidden strings like effect to tap out the opponent is probably our best shot. Derevi comes very close, if he only had vigilance instead of his stupid commander ability :(

Quote Originally Posted by Holden1669 View Post
    And now a mention on SCG!

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...-Symmetry.html

Congrats!
    Abe will have a nerdgasm at the Miser's Equipoise in the list!

Thread Information