Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crushing GP Paris

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Crushing GP Paris

Dear Lords, dear Ladies!

As most of you know there is an event approaching, of such outstanding size and unquestionable importance that all of our globe anticipates said occurrence! It is reported that tribes of the eastern folks have gathered to make their marsh through uninhabited territory to join forces with praetorians of Rome, battle-worn barbarians from Germania, tanned lancers from Catalonia, perfectly well pronouncing archers from Britain, outstanding chefs from Gaul and most importantly with an elitist group of Austrians near the city of Paris!

What would constipate so many different nations together? No, there is nothing for free, and no we do not elect the leader of our warband, known under the name of “EU”. It is not wartime either, not again – we’ve had enough of those – I can assure you. So what would so many individuals do together at one piece of land? Construct an almshouse? Well, that’d be a good idea, but no.

Valued readers, valued listeners, I am going to unveil said secret as soon as you have sat down. Why one might ask? Well, as you are going to dive into this article of unchallenged relevance you will see things you may not have seen before. And in the end you will be handed a powerful weapon which can be used by anyone in order to come out victorious from this tourney. Oh, this must have slipped my mind – I just did unveil the substance of said event!

Oh no, not this one. The tournament I am talking about is not about violence, at least not in this very primary meaning. It is not about who can strike hardest or fastest. All this tournament is about is mental strength, mental endurance and a thing called luck, probably.

This kind of tournament is not structured as the one depicted above, it’s not just about two battle-worn knights dueling each other as the rest witnesses the event. It’s a tournament where everybody is a knight, a hero. Where every single attendee can rise to the top and claim the myth-ranked price! Alongside with unlimited funds of gold unrivaled glory awaits for the individual who comes out victorious. Prepare for a battle of gigantic dimensions, teartriggering duels and fulfilling victories!

But how can you go into a tournament with such an enormous amount of people participating and still expect to beat everyone? How can you be sure that you mastered your skills far enough that you can take on all tribes of Germania alongside the Gaul division but not perish at the Austrians? Well, you can’t!

At least you could not, until now! This very letter contains important information on how to be able to overcome even giant obstacles like the Austrian battalion with ease. And do not worry, this is no recipe for disaster, so it’s no way of abuse the doomsday that threatens us all. Nobody on earth could actually handle the power given by said magical sorcery, nobody. The weapon I will shortly hand you is far more powerful and easier to pilot. You do not have to worry about certain mathematical percentages, not about the boardstate, not about your opponent – you don’t have to worry about anything. All you do is crush everybody, merciless. So let’s get this started, shall we?

To begin with we need some ridiculous. Something that makes little Timmy wake up in the middle of the night, soaked in sweat and totally freaked out. An object that is both unovercomeable and devastating to our opponents. Here I hand you the first piece of this weapon, but remember – it’s nothing but the hilt.

Don’t leave now dear friends, just don’t do it. It’s just nowhere as stupid as you might think it is. It just seems to be on the correct side of the carefully drawn line between ingenuity and madness. So what does this hilt add to the sword itself? Doubtlessly a decent starting point. But we, long time warriors of said tournaments, know this strategy already – it’s a well proven pillar of our legacy. So it would neither be anything new nor anything backbreaking or tournamentstomping. But trust me – once you see all of the Sword you will agree that this very invention is as unexpected as powerful.

Additionally to the above mentioned fragments the obligatory playset of each, Force of Will, Ponder and Brainstorm, putting this all together. This was, is and will always be the glue of any successful killing machine in this very format. I don’t think I have to go in detail here, do I, veterans of Legacy?

There is no castle without its basement, and so there is no Legacydeck without manabase. And yes, I mean it exactly the way I put it. In order to fit this very special construct I have thought this up:

Next to four Volcanic Islands, five Islands and one Mountain it is necessary to have access to two City of Traitors as well as two Ancient Tombs. In order to enable maximum brokenness we use four Scalding Tarns plus three additional blue Fetchlands.

In recent history Spell Pierce has grown up to its full potential, so fitting in three copies sounds fair enough.
    “Fraudster” you may cry! “You don’t bring us any new” you might say. You have never been as wrong as now – trust me! Glory lies ahead!

After sending my best and doubtlessly expensive agents on this very topic and reading their reports I have been told that Legacy is infested. Not infested with any kind of illness or mad ideas – but with a color. Even though it might be disturbing it is beyond doubt that Legacy is infested with Blue. Yet my most valued experts have found a solution to said problem. This solution is as obvious as effective. It is the RED ELEMENTAL BLAST! Maindecking powerful material like this is no bad thing, it’s a seal of approval for both coolness and preparation. Those who play Red Elemental Blast Mainboard are the real men!

My next move will be a pre-draw of what will be the core element of this said deck. Now we are at the point where we enter new territory! Enough words, let’s bring it on. The core element which enhances this gameplan beyond what other people have been doing is creatures. Yes, creatures. In Legacy. They are the most ridiculous creatures to be had in the colors of Blue. Having access to three Snapcaster Mages alongside three Vendilion Cliques enables you to threaten a fast combokill, protected by those creatures’ abilities like recycling Counterspells or Cantrips, or just acting as an Instant-Discard – and all of this while beating your opponent to shit while providing valuable bodies that can be used at both, offence and defence, and even passive.

As of now we have a hilt and some new ideas for the blade, but the following piece will complete this pieces to something powerful, something insurmountable. The Sideboard consists not of the cards which you would expect, but of something completely new! Pepare now, I’ll give you the list now:
    1 Snapcaster Mage, 1 Vendilion Clique, 4 Sulfur Elemental, 4 Lightning Bolt, 2 Pyroblast, 3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor.
    You saw it right, that’s the Sideboard. This board enables you to switch roles between Aggro, Control and Combo – making this deck omnipresent at all of the three available cornerstones of Magic itself. Never has there been any deck that could threaten a Combo, while beating down with efficient creatures and controlling the rest of the game with Jace, the Mind Sculptor, better than all. While a setup like this easily circumvents any downsides of any transformational sideboard you might have tried it also offers complete immunity to combohate, should you wish to circumvent it. Imagine the following hand, while your opponent might be hoarding different sorts of hate towards your combo.

What will happen to your opponent? Simple. He will be destroyed! He will be torn apart by the raw power of the cards in your deck, tailored perfectly well to beat the Legacy Metagame. No contender in this tournament would want to play against you – but let us back this up by real data and match-up analysis, shall we?

Delverdecks:

Canadian Threshold, Patriot and Team America is what we think of, when talking about Delver. How does our deck fare against them? Well, preboard all they do is to waste all their ressources in order to be able to defend against the nearly unstoppable and raw attacking power of our blue flashy creatures. Due to their high amount of Removalspells and Counterspells they will eventually do so – leaving them helpless against our Combo, which makes yummy meatballs out of them.
    Postboard it gets only better. The depressed Delverpilot will overload their answers against the Combo while all we do is boarding it out. Catching them off guard will not only make their boardingplan bad, it also enables us to finish them off before they get to deploy their first Tarmogoyf, Sulfur Elemental be praised.

80:20 – I really look forward to crushing all those german tribes playing RUG or BURG with this deck – I don’t expect to even drop a single game against those. Come at me, bros.

Esperstoneblade:

This deck is a joke, preboard they lack the means to interact with our combo, most of the time we win the game even before we get to deploy our first aggressive 2-drop.
    Postboard all they add is useless shit and once again the MU is a slaughterfest. Their Mystics die on sight and right before they reach 4 Mana to cast Jace, the Mind Sculptor they will either face a T3 Jace on our side or immediate pressure which forces them to concede, in both ways.

90:10 – I am not sure who would play this deck anyways, as Miracle is a far better Controldeck at pretty much any point, but if the Gaul, or the Spanish dare to do so, I am ready.

Show and Tell:

The Mirror, you say? Well, due to our superior deckbuilding skills we are not only way faster, but also protect our combo better, while setting up an additional clock and attacking their life total quickly. I have yet to drop a G1 against the mirror.
    Postboard it’s getting better again. They can’t bring anything relevant while our Jace, the Mind Sculptor enables us kills without ever attack, quadruple bolt followed by Snapcasters!

100:0 – Like who plays normal Show and Tell nowadays anyways, when there is this deck?

Storm:

Well, most Stormpilots suck anyways, so they die to even one of our Cliques. If they don’t suck, then we just punch face with Griselbrand, so they die.
    Postboard they bring 0/1s with Flying while we bring 3/2 with Split Second and Flash. Guess who wins, right?

90:10 – I heard there are some decent Stormpilots left in the gaulish lands, can’t wait to cut their heads off. But I think they all moved to MonoU Show and Tell, so they don’t even have a chance to react! Blasphemy!

Death and Taxes:

Preboard this MU is brutal. Our Combo does not work, neither do our creatures. We die most of the time, painfully.
    After we hit the board it’s hard to not smile. Adding a playset of Sulfur Elementals is like cheating, really.

It’s not like we have to fear anything here, all we have to do is not get disqualified for laughing our asses off, because we simply can’t lose.

70:30 – After the success of the Danish tribes in Strasbourg it’ll be fun slaughtering all their followers and themselves with joy!

Miracle:

The only good deck at the GP poses a threat to us, both preboard as postboard. Counterbalances is a problem, so is Jace, the Mind Sculptor. Entreat the Angles finishes us up quickly fast.
    Postboard it gets even worse, because every Miraclepilot is just better at playing Magic at all and foresees our plan. We will be crushed, no chance. The only bad lists are built and played by Italians, but you will still getting beating, can’t do a thing.

0:100 – Don’t, just don’t.

Dear Lords, dear Ladies! Here it is! The beast, the weapon, the deck which will help you claim the throne of Paris this winter! With this weapon at hand it should be no problem to crush everybody in your way, no matter their nationality or their deckchoice. You don’t even need to be good at Magic, this decks ridiculous power will help you through any situation. Even boarding is easy most of the time. -15 combo +15 Sideboard and you win 99 out of 100 games. And give a shit about the 100th game. In order to enable you to copy this decklist, send it to all your friends and all top8 together, yeah I know you probably have more than seven friends – still I promise you: all of you will Top8, I’ll make the decklist available to you. And if you can't afford the deck, I heard the Chinese got a good offer running...

4 Volcanic Island
    5 Island
    1 Mountain
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Flooded Strand
    2 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Show and Tell
    4 Sneak Attack
    4 Griselbrand
    3 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Force of Will
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Vendilion Clique
    3 Spell Pierce
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    SB: 4 Sulfur Elemental
    SB: 1 Snapcaster Mage
    SB: 1 Vendilion Clique
    SB: 4 Lightning Bolt
    SB: 3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    SB: 2 Pyroblast

See you in Paris, brave warriors from all around the world!

I hope you enjoyed my deckpresentation a little bit and didn't take it serious! Can't wait for GP Paris and I might try this deck out should I have the time to do so! I wish you all an enjoyable and successful weekend in Paris! -see you there!

Greetings from Austria
    Last edited by Einherjer; 02-03-2014 at 04:52 PM.
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Re: Crushing GP Paris

If you live in Europe and you foresee a lot of this, in which you're going to the event, MD needle and pack more on the side, then buy as many Karakas as you can afford.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Amazing.

I just wonder why your reveal this now, considering that you're usually better-off with hiding what you're playing as long as possible, which is especially true for a deck like yours and particularly that SB plan. Is it attention or appreciation you're looking for?

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    I just wonder why your reveal this now, considering that you're usually better-off with hiding what you're playing as long as possible, which is especially true for a deck like yours and particularly that SB plan. Is it attention or appreciation you're looking for?
    I wanna give everybody a chance to come out first at this GP with a superior deck like this.

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

So you replaced a few cantrip-slots with creatures which does not add anything to the combo and present it in a flurry of hilarious hyperboles ... Do you now run MB Pithing Needle in your Miracles for SFM and Griselbrand and trying to troll people here?
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    So you replaced a few cantrip-slots with creatures which does not add anything to the combo and present it in a flurry of hilarious hyperboles ... Do you now run MB Pithing Needle in your Miracles for SFM and Griselbrand and trying to troll people here?
    Yes.

Greetings

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Sneak and show match up vs D&T is abysmal. Period :p

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Sneak and show match up vs D&T is abysmal. Period :p
    I know, right? D&T doesn't stand a chance against a deck packing a bunch of Sulfur Elementals, Pyroclasms and a fast combo kill. Bonus points for being a monocolor deck that can get completely locked out by Blood Moon a non marginal amount of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    Don't play shitty decks and everyone will have more fun.

Mar 2012
    Karlsruhe

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    Yes.

Greetings
    And it works!!!
    Sneaky Pirates of Doom - Truss them up in a runnin' bowline

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by EviL668-2 View Post
    And it works!!!
    Amazing, isn't it? :D

Yeah, DnT is hard preboard but with a Sideboard like this you just can't lose :D Maybe I should have integrated the Punishing Fire too :D

Greetings

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by betterthenandrew View Post
    I know, right? D&T doesn't stand a chance against a deck packing a bunch of Sulfur Elementals, Pyroclasms and a fast combo kill. Bonus points for being a monocolor deck that can get completely locked out by Blood Moon a non marginal amount of the time.
    Well, game 1 you can't win (ok that's a bit harsh). then you need sideboard cards, while we still have karakas to fight you and revoker doesn't die to Sulfur elemental. And i did not talk about any sideboard card we could bring in...

Nov 2007
    Finland

You guys have no sense of humour.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Mar 2012
    Karlsruhe

revoker doesn't die to Sulfur elemental. And i did not talk about any sideboard card we could bring in...
    Please pack all the hate you can get in your sideboard! It will not help!
    This deck is unbeatable! Trust me!
    Sneaky Pirates of Doom - Truss them up in a runnin' bowline

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Well, game 1 you can't win (ok that's a bit harsh). then you need sideboard cards, while we still have karakas to fight you and revoker doesn't die to Sulfur elemental. And i did not talk about any sideboard card we could bring in...
    Have fun using Karakas on Snapcaster Mage and Sulfur Elemental. Great deck, Punishing Fire sounds like an insanely good addition.

Maybe you should consider Goblin Guides against Miracles. Turn 1 Goblin Guide is pretty much guaranteed to ride you to victory.

May 2011
    Noricum

Testing has gone incredibly well, and I wouldn't be surprised if all of the Top8 would consist of this deck only.

Greetings

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

I like the Goblin Guide idea. Price of Progress also has a very good synergy with Snapcaster Mage. I would just skip the jace's and sulfur elementals and convert into a U/R Burn deck. The DnT matchup is worse, but you usually have a huge skill advantage over DnT players so that's not a major concern.

4 Delver
    4 Guide
    4 Bolt
    3 Price of Progress
    Currently playing: Elves

So your plan is to autolose to RUG and Miracles? Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastoderm View Post
    So your plan is to autolose to RUG and Miracles? Have fun.
    Only to Miracles. Canadian and other Delverdecks are an 80:20 matchup as you can read above.

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Epic :)

On a more serious note, though, I'm sure a combo-breaker deck like Delver will take the whole thing. It's engineered to prey on the European metagame.
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

Thread Information