Thread: Aether Vial and Enchantment Creatures

Aether Vial and Enchantment Creatures

Aether Vial and e.g., Thassa, God of the sea

If the vial is on three counters, can I use it's ability to put Thassa in play? Or will it only be checked whether it's a creature when it's already in battlefield, and devotion is checked. TIA!

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Re: Aether Vial and Enchantment Creatures

Quote Originally Posted by dreinal13 View Post
    Aether Vial and e.g., Thassa, God of the sea

If the vial is on three counters, can I use it's ability to put Thassa in play? Or will it only be checked whether it's a creature when it's already in battlefield, and devotion is checked. TIA!
    Thassa is a creature card when in your hand (because she has Creature printed on her). So you can put her in with AEther Vial which only checks if she is a Creature Card.

Once in play she may or may not be a creature, that doesn't matter.

Finally got this confirmed! My friend and I have been debating about this for 3 days now. Thanks!

Just to continue this train of thought. If you have something like Opalescence in play, it would not allow you to vial in any enchantments (that were not creature-enchantments) from your hand into play with Aether Vial since it only affects enchantments that are on the battlefield.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

A card not on the battlefield that has a certain type is a "[type] card". On the battlefield, it's just a "[type]". Aether Vial says "creature card", so if it's in your hand and has the type "creature" on it, you can Vial it.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information