Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: UGR/RUG Delver doing poorly/Canadian Threshold

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

UGR/RUG Delver doing poorly/Canadian Threshold

http://www.tcdecks.net/metagame.php?format=Legacy

There are very few decks posted for this January, and it is still two weeks before Nihil updates the DTB section with his version for the month. But January is over and Canadian looks as weak as I have ever seen it since GP: Flash. It's like 12th. Frankly, even the numbers for December were a little weak, at 3rd. It has rarely slipped below 2nd in the past. Is there still insufficient data to pronounce this? Cuz I gotta tell ya, I have played RUG a few times against Trueblade, and it is stupid how dead you are to a resolved TNN. No matter what I say, this thread will devolve into a discussion on TNN, but I am interested in what this means for red.

Obv, red can not deal well with much of any combo decks. But now, it also looks like red is a dead fish to the dominant aggro decks too. It can't race them or disable them. So, what does red have going for it? What would wotc have to print to make it relevant again?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Re: UGR/RUG Delver doing poorly/Canadian Threshold

Red has always been a support color in Legacy. It still remains a great support color, but SFM-TNN is just better than Mongoose-Goyf right now, so that's why Patriot has replaced RUG in that slot. If you're asking what Wizards needs to do to make Red a great primary color... undo 20+ years of Magic and start over from the beginning (serious).
    Discussing the impact of True-Name Nemesis on Legacy:

Quote Originally Posted by 2Rach View Post
    And format warping itself isn't necessarily a bad thing for that matter.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Red gives you reach and red blasts to beat blue out of the board...

I think the better question is, Goyf/Goose vs. TNN and SFM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

A few RUG players seem to be adopting TNN and having more success with that. Color me surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Cash Money Baller
    Nov 2007
    Maine

A Deathrite Shaman in RUG colors would be pretty sweet.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: UGR/RUG Delver doing poorly/Canadian Threshol

Quote Originally Posted by BKclassic View Post
    A Deathrite Shaman in RUG colors would be pretty sweet.
    With DRS/Delver/TNN you are right where my current Tempo deck is :)

The Problem is that Goofy & Geese are dead to RIP, TNN and seriously annoyed my opponents DRS. The only way to break the game open is running TNN yourself (drop earlier than opponent with your tempo suit or run tombstalker/SFM
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

Has anyone checked the price of Volcanic Island lately?

Bolts is doing a lot of work in Legacy these days.

Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Tormod View Post
    Has anyone checked the price of Volcanic Island lately?

Bolts is doing a lot of work in Legacy these days.
    Because of Patriot, not RUG Delver.

I don't think the red color has to do with it, but any blue deck right now is trying to fit TNN in it's package. It's just that good - and somewhat as answerable as answering to a combo deck - you either have a counter or sac effect/or prepare your sideboard just to answer to it, with stuff such as -1/-1 effects, or you're going to die.

Yes, I'm blaming TNN, what has changed in Legacy in the past months apart of Commander 2013?

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    And sneak and show. And Storm plays it (albeit as a 1 of). And UR Delver. A lot of decently played decks play Volcanics
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Last time I checked, both decks ran "Red"

Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Tormod View Post
    Last time I checked, both decks ran "Red"
    Sure, but RUG Delver is on the decline while Patriot is #1 by a lot. You don't have both decks doing well, only 1. So it stands to reason that Bolts are doing work in the #1 deck, not the #12 deck.

Mar 2007
    RI

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    So, what does red have going for it? What would wotc have to print to make it relevant again?
    I think Red has had the same ~dozen relevant cards in Legacy for years now. Lightning Bolt, Red Elemental Blast, Pyroblast, Grim Lavamancer, Chain Lightning, Pyroclasm, Blood Moon, Sneak Attack, Pyroclasm, Price of Progress, Goblin Guide - that's 11, I'm probably forgetting something obvious, so I will leave that blank to be filled in.

If the question is what does RUG/Can. Thresh need to upstage Patriot? Probably something UG/GR based that puts up a fight against SFM/TNN - if it's UR it probably just is better played in Patriot. Currently the tempo advantage of RUG is overpowered in a similar shell with a stronger mid/long game plan.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

I don't think RUG is doing that bad, it is just that there is a new , fancier, tempo deck on the block and everyone wants to play it. Especially with pros playing patriot right now. RUG will do just give, like it always has.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Called it way back that TNN would end RUG. There is literally nothing they can do once it resolves.

Was wrong about it making Merfolk viable again. Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by from Cairo View Post
    I think Red has had the same ~dozen relevant cards in Legacy for years now. Lightning Bolt, Red Elemental Blast, Pyroblast, Grim Lavamancer, Chain Lightning, Pyroclasm, Blood Moon, Sneak Attack, Pyroclasm, Price of Progress, Goblin Guide - that's 11, I'm probably forgetting something obvious, so I will leave that blank to be filled in.
    Sulfur Elemental

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    http://www.tcdecks.net/metagame.php?format=Legacy
    There are very few decks posted for this January, and it is still two weeks before Nihil updates the DTB section with his version for the month. But January is over and Canadian looks as weak as I have ever seen it since GP: Flash. It's like 12th. Frankly, even the numbers for December were a little weak, at 3rd. It has rarely slipped below 2nd in the past. Is there still insufficient data to pronounce this? Cuz I gotta tell ya, I have played RUG a few times against Trueblade, and it is stupid how dead you are to a resolved TNN. No matter what I say, this thread will devolve into a discussion on TNN, but I am interested in what this means for red.
    I hate this kind of post, it's unscientific and it has no value.

If you want to make claim on the Meta of Legacy, do it the right way: http://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/20...meta-analysis/

Nov 2007
    Germany

TNN is to blame. You're just dead if that ever resolves. Red Cards are fine in principle. The problem is more that the green cards (Goyf/Goose) are not too well positioned. And the evasive alternatives (Clique, TNN, Tombstalker) cost too much to keep the 14 lands, virtually all 1 drops theme.

I think traditional RUG would need a Spell Pierce for creatures – not holding my breath for that though.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Serbitar View Post
    I think traditional RUG would need a Spell Pierce for creatures – not holding my breath for that though.
    I think the answer is a Pyroclasm for 1 that can't be prevented. Instant would be amazing but Sorcery is fine too.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Just play Flying Men. Fly over those dumb TNNs. Or RUG could run Silklash Spiders for the lulz

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    I think the answer is a Pyroclasm for 1 that can't be prevented. Instant would be amazing but Sorcery is fine too.
    Pyroclasm can't hit TNN.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    That is why he said "Can't be prevented". Gets around protection.
    Okay, nevermind
    Last edited by jamis; 02-04-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Thread Information