Thread: Current Deck Prevalence, Separate from Placings

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Current Deck Prevalence, Separate from Placings

I was thinking about which decks are the most common to meet in a tournament, and it's probably true that a lot of it lines up to top placings, and I know from observation and other people's accounts that Patriot, Team America, Elves, DnT, Esperblade, Sneak & Show are not only some of the most-seen decks in Top Xs, but also played by a lot of people.

What about decks that don't often place but are really common in tournaments though? Or decks that are seeming underplayed, getting placings, despite low representation?

I'm talking about both big tournaments and little local ones. Of course, this would be rough anecdotal aggregation drawn from different worldwide locations (unless there's some resource that lists deck types from the top to bottom of tournaments that I'm unaware of).

For instance, from what I've seen, even though Affinity, Burn, Maverick, Merfolk, are seen as lower tier in varying degrees, I've played against them a ton, so I have to be prepared. And the opposite, it seems like some players have never faced off against Miracles or Imperial Painter despite their success. I'm curious what other people have noticed.

Re: Current Deck Prevalence, Separate from Placings

SCG Oakland from 2013, Affinity did place 3rd, same event, Doomsday finished 9th.
    Burn also finished 12th in Orlando for 2014.

Therefore, they do finish high, you just didn't look hard enough.

Some decks people are still trying to make it work: Enchantress, Stasis.

Real life tournament has card availability issue. Loam decks need Tabernacle. Not enough people get over the learning curve of Doomsday and Miracle.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    SCG Oakland from 2013, Affinity did place 3rd, same event, Doomsday finished 9th.

You misunderstand me, or I didn't specify clearly enough. I know that Affinity and Burn are capable of placing high and have done so. I've probably faced those two decks as often as I've faced Patriot or Sneak & Show though, and they seem to have a lower place:play ratio, that's all.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post

Some decks people are still trying to make it work: Enchantress, Stasis.

Real life tournament has card availability issue. Loam decks need Tabernacle. Not enough people get over the learning curve of Doomsday and Miracle.
    I dont think hes saying the decks never place. His point is that those decks are probably almost as played as the "tier 1 deck", they just happen to not place as often so they arent as considered when preparing for a tournement.

An anecdotal example, the legacy tournament I was at I played, goblins, burn, bant, reanimator, meathooks and then split with esperblade. It was a 30$ event with 40 people but (from what I remember) in the room there was 1 UWR tempo, 1 team america, 2 Canadian thresh, 2 UWx blade control, 1 miracles (me) and 0 Sneak/show for "good decks" while there was 2 pox, 3 reanimtor, 4 maverick/junk, 3 Burn, 3 UR burn, 3 storm, 2 omnicience, 2 nic fit. Not exactly what you expect when you look at nothing but graphs on TC or whatever.

I think it is important to consider the prevalence of all decks in a meta, not just the "top decks". You might not see some of these decks/players make the top tables often, but if your playing say, thresh, and 25% of the decks in your area are Nic fit, MUD, turbo eldrazi or dredge you dont have ways to beat those decks, you wont see the top tables either.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Yeah, a field breakdown like SCG used to do with 'Too Much Information' (example: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...formation.html) would be great for this, but you need decklist info for every player in a tournament to even get started.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

You basically need data like this:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...568#post781568
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...492#post776492
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...587#post767587
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...959#post757959
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...406#post750406
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...288#post742288

Which taken together with the final standings (if available) can track all the decks, and their relative performance. If you have Match win totals, it helps even more. Lacking that, you can calculate # of rounds, and assign arbitrary but relative "scores" and find the performance of all the decks in the tournament in hindsight.

It's a lot of busy work; but that's reverse engineering for you.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

A friend went to a large 100+ tournament with Imperial Painter, got paired up against Dredge, Team America and Burn, I think he said of the 5 rounds he played, 1 was a blue deck. All his REBs were dead for most of his tournament. Sounded good going in though.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    You basically need data like this:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...568#post781568
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...492#post776492
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...587#post767587
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...959#post757959
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...406#post750406
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...288#post742288

Which taken together with the final standings (if available) can track all the decks, and their relative performance. If you have Match win totals, it helps even more. Lacking that, you can calculate # of rounds, and assign arbitrary but relative "scores" and find the performance of all the decks in the tournament in hindsight.

It's a lot of busy work; but that's reverse engineering for you.
    Right - if there was an easy source for this information, maybe we could do the legwork, but TOs for large events would need to post decklists somewhere, and I don't see that happening.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    Right - if there was an easy source for this information, maybe we could do the legwork, but TOs for large events would need to post decklists somewhere, and I don't see that happening.
    It could be possible if people HAD to register their deck list online. That would horribly inconvenient for players, and bad because you couldn't make last minute changes easily unless they made some sort of mobile app or something. It isn't an impossible thing to do, but I doubt it would ever happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    A friend went to a large 100+ tournament with Imperial Painter, got paired up against Dredge, Team America and Burn, I think he said of the 5 rounds he played, 1 was a blue deck. All his REBs were dead for most of his tournament. Sounded good going in though.
    Did he never land Painter or something...? :p

Last GPT that I went to I was matched against: Stoneblade, Merfolk, TES, Stoneblade, Elves, Goblins
    I was running TES
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Last SCG Event I went to I faced, UR Delver, Hypergenesis, Mono U SnT, Affinity, Grixis Pyromancer, Tin Fins, Goblins, RUG Delver, and my final opponent who drew with me, afterwards said that he was on 5 Color Opposition Tokens. Maybe I just got lucky facing all of these different match ups, but this is why I love large events.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Apr 2013
    Kempten, Germany

Last 5 Round turney in munich I got paired against:
    Round 1: Imperial Painter
    Round 2: Punishing Jund
    Round 3: BGW Junk
    Round 4: UWR Delver
    Round 5: Mono W Staxx prison deck

So, not only typically Tier 1 decks
    Most of the time if you play constantly on the high tables you will get paired against the typically Tier 1 decks, but if you lose 1 or 2 matches you often meet some Tier 2 or less played decks.
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

Two last local tournaments:
    1. Death & Taxes, 2. Rug Delver, 3. Forgemaster MUD, 4. TES 5. Esper Blade 6. Dark Maverick
    and
    1. Monored Sneak Attack, 2. Burn, 3. Merfolk budget build. 4. UWr Miracles
    and one other I 4-0:ed
    1. Burn, 2. Dark Maverick, 3. Jund, 4. Bug Delver. I was on Dreadstill, so I guess I was the tier 2 deck that can ruin your tournament here.

First being GPT that drawed more and pretty serious people and second being a LGS event, both in central Finland.
    Last edited by syfilisx; 02-08-2014 at 02:23 PM.

May 2011
    Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by Manipulato View Post
    Most of the time if you play constantly on the high tables you will get paired against the typically Tier 1 decks, but if you lose 1 or 2 matches you often meet some Tier 2 or less played decks.
    This is pretty spot on. You will see less blue decks(and other tier decks) the more you lose in a tourney.

Also, the first round or two can be challenging. You have to sometimes pray that you don't face some random glass cannon. No matter how good Death and Taxes is, facing Belcher in the first round can screw up your whole tournament.

Jan 2011
    York

I believe burn belcher and affinty are the three biggest offenders in the classification you are going for. If you can dodge them in the first two rounds chances are you wont see them later on at an open. On the flip side they are aggressive and can catch people of gaurd and unprepared.

Thread Information