Thread: A few questions concerning Tangle Wire

A few questions concerning Tangle Wire

I have two main questions about Tangle Wire interactions:

1) Could an opponent tap all of his/her lands (and put mana into his mana pool) prior to Tangle Wire's tap trigger? If so, could he use this mana for anything? From what I understand, mana can't be carried into new steps, but I would think he could cast instant speed spells/abilities with this mana (like burn spells or removal).

2) Concerning Tangle Wire's interaction with Gilder Bairn. There are several questions here:

a) Given that Gilder Bairn can untap itself, I'm curious as to whether I can tap it (and untap it with its ability) multiple times to satisfy the triggered ability of Tangle Wire (presuming I have the mana to do so). I honestly doubt it but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. I guess it comes down to whether each "tap" is considered a seperate trigger, as if it weren't and you let the tap trigger resolve, I'm not sure you could interrupt it half way.

b) If this is the case, however, that I can untap Gilder Bairn while Tangle Wire's tap trigger is resolving, what happens if I decide to double the counters on Tangled Wire? Does the change in fade counters on Tangle Wire affect me on this upkeep or next?

I'm planning to build a deck that can produce "infinite" mana using Gilder Bairn, Pentad Prism, and a card such as Archery Training or other enchantment auras that allow for tapping Gilder Bairn. Thus, it would be very feasible for me to perpetually lockdown the board and leave myself untouched if Tangle Wire works the way I hope it does.

If 2a) doesn't work the way I want to, I will likely be adding enough artifacts that don't care if they're tapped or not (the Pentad Prism is already good for this) so I won't be affected by Tangle. I do like how Gilder Bairn can keep up the Tangle as long as I want it to, thereby keeping a firm lock on the board state. My big concern in Question 1 is whether my opponent could still use burn spells as they could target my Gilder Bairn and wreck my engine.

Jun 2011
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: A few questions concerning Tangle Wire

Quote Originally Posted by rarefiedar View Post
    I have two main questions about Tangle Wire interactions:

1) Could an opponent tap all of his/her lands (and put mana into his mana pool) prior to Tangle Wire's tap trigger? If so, could he use this mana for anything? From what I understand, mana can't be carried into new steps, but I would think he could cast instant speed spells/abilities with this mana (like burn spells or removal).

2) Concerning Tangle Wire's interaction with Gilder Bairn. There are several questions here:

a) Given that Gilder Bairn can untap itself, I'm curious as to whether I can tap it (and untap it with its ability) multiple times to satisfy the triggered ability of Tangle Wire (presuming I have the mana to do so). I honestly doubt it but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. I guess it comes down to whether each "tap" is considered a seperate trigger, as if it weren't and you let the tap trigger resolve, I'm not sure you could interrupt it half way.

b) If this is the case, however, that I can untap Gilder Bairn while Tangle Wire's tap trigger is resolving, what happens if I decide to double the counters on Tangled Wire? Does the change in fade counters on Tangle Wire affect me on this upkeep or next?

I'm planning to build a deck that can produce "infinite" mana using Gilder Bairn, Pentad Prism, and a card such as Archery Training or other enchantment auras that allow for tapping Gilder Bairn. Thus, it would be very feasible for me to perpetually lockdown the board and leave myself untouched if Tangle Wire works the way I hope it does.

If 2a) doesn't work the way I want to, I will likely be adding enough artifacts that don't care if they're tapped or not (the Pentad Prism is already good for this) so I won't be affected by Tangle. I do like how Gilder Bairn can keep up the Tangle as long as I want it to, thereby keeping a firm lock on the board state. My big concern in Question 1 is whether my opponent could still use burn spells as they could target my Gilder Bairn and wreck my engine.
    1) Your opponent can cast spells on their upkeep before taping their lands.
    2a) the tapping happens simultaneously so you can't untap Gilder Bairn for each counter.
    Bonus! As long as you have a way of paying Gilder Bairn's cost you can choose to put the tangle wire trigger on the stack either before or after they effect you. If your using tangle wire to tap Gilder Bairn then the counters go on tangle wire after you've tapped.

Thread Information