Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Liver of the Storm - Legacy Tournament Report

Liver of the Storm - Legacy Tournament Report

Liver of the Storm I.

(Title stolen from my favorite poster and reporter, Lenmaer. I hope this is ok, dude.)

Since this is my first post on this site (although I am a passionate reader of this page), I would like to introduce myself to the community. I have been a Legacy enthusiast for a couple of years and I would call myself a good player. That does not mean that I am flawless or some kind of a poser. I would like to share with you a report from a Legacy tournament I participated in and of course I would be glad to hear what you guys and girls think about it. So let’s get it on. My local tournaments consist of mostly 10 till 20 people playing in a small, shady room in the back of a bar because we can’t afford a better location…(tribute to the liver). Nonetheless, we are a bunch of experienced players. At this day, I was picked up by a friend with his new Moto Guzzi V7 (jezzz… what a sound) and he took me to the location. That was a hell of a ride, feeling the vibrating motor under my butt and hugging my friend’s body of steel. After a little drink at the bar we got to business and then played Magic. (The day couldn’t start better :P) So, what is important now? Yeah, you’re right, the deck. Let’s have a look:

TES Visions
    Mainboard:

4 Gemstone Mine
    2 City of Brass
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    3 Polluted Delta

3 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion’s Eye Diamond
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Infernal Tutor
    3 Brainstorm
    1 Serum Visions
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Silence
    3 Duress
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Ad Nauseam

Sideboard:
    3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Chain of Vapor
    2 Xantid Swarm
    2 Cabal Therapy
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Diminishing Returns

This is predominantly a net decked list which plays only 3 Brainstorms (bad with just 3 fetchlands) in favor of one Serum Visions which I think is pretty underrated at the moment. It draws a card and then becomes a Magma Jet. To sum this up, Serum Visions is a mix of a cantrip and a burn spell which can remove hate bears. If you guys have any questions about the list just feel free to write a comment and we can discuss my choices. The main reason I played TES is my financial state. I wanted to pilot a budged deck which is strong enough to win games fast so I can pry about the other decks at the tournament. In my honest opinion ANT is much better but unfortunately USeas and other stuff is too expensive for me right now. By the way, look what arrived just in time:

LEDS.jpg

Round 1 – Sneak Show
    Game 1
    I win the dice roll and state that I would like to begin. Since he is fine with this decision I pick up these 7 cards.

1 Underground Sea
    1 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Ponder
    1 Dark Ritual
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Burning Wish
    1 Silence

Would you keep this hand?
    I feel very uncomfortable with this starting seven since. Keep in mind that I don’t know what he is playing but nevertheless I keep. I start off with a nice Sea into Ponder revealing me 2 lands and a Brainstorm. I shuffle and draw Lotus Petal which falls on the table as I am unable to keep the card in my hand thus my opponent knows that I am on combo. Damn it, bro. Throughout the game I don’t see the correct line of play that would ride me to victory. He wins with Emmi per Show and Tell.
    Boarding time:
    -2 Probes, +2 Swarm (should be fair enough)
    Game 2
    Let’s have a peek at my starting seven.

2 Ponder
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Xantid Swarm
    1 Chrome Mox
    2 Lion’s Eye Diamond

Well, this is a pure snap keep as it was one in the previous game. I see Swarm but unfortunately no land but hey it’s TES so you don’t need shitty lands to win a simple game of Magic. I grin and my opponent takes a mulligan. I start with an easy “go” without playing anything. I am not sure if this is a mistake but I feel pretty comfortable that it is the right decision here. He durdles around with cantrips in the following turns and I am able to find some lands and go off of Silence (1) > some crappy Rituals (2,3,4) and Burning Wish (5) with LED support (6) into some green dudes out of the board. I then pass the turn and he, lucky as he is, topdecks the card that he needs and wins via Annihilator trigger. Jeezzz what a luck.

0-2
    Dice rolls won: 1

Round 2 – Burn

Game 1

I totally own him on the dice roll and go first.

Let’s peek and opt:

1 Volcanic Island
    1 Ponder
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Burning Wish
    1 Infernal Tutor
    1 Rite of Flame
    1 Polluted Delta

Hard to say since I don’t know what my greedy-looking opponent is playing. At this point I decide to take a mulligan into a faster hand.

1 Ponder
    1 Brainstorm
    3 Chrome Mox
    1 Lion’s Eye Diamond

Well, at least some fast mana and some cantripping action in sight. Let’s start the bashing.
    I lead with Chrome Mox > imprint nothing. He slams Goblin Guide on the table, literally slams it, and attacks for 2 revealing another Lion’s Eye Diamond. Not exactly what is needed now. Damn it, bro, again. I really struggle against Burn strategies because they are so fast and all I can do is trying to win faster which is very hard even if my deck is tuned like some Nascar bolide. Goshhh. He eventually takes home the win after some spells to my face.

Boarding action: none

Game 2

I draw these precious cards:

1 Underground Sea
    1 Gemstone Mine
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Burning Wish
    2 Rite of Flame
    1 Dark Ritual

I start with USea into Brainstorm lock. GG.

0-4
    Dice rolls won: 2

At this point of the tournament I am feeling very fit and optimistic although I lost to easy decks. Nonetheless I have the will to finally step ahead and dominate my Meta with TES. The judge prints out the pairings for round 3: Bye. I was confused because I didn’t know a person with that strange name so I asked some fellaaas and they told me to sit down and goldfish a bit. Nice idea. Maybe I can learn some new tech due to that. Sooo:

Round 3 – Bye

Game 1
    Well, my opponent is unable to roll the dice (what a retard) thus I go first. I shuffle my decks and peek at this starting hand.

1 Lion’s Eye Diamond
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Underground Sea
    2 Dark Ritual
    1 Ad Nauseam
    1 Ponder

I see an easy turn one kill you too? I start with Petal (1), LED (2), Underground Sea, Dark Ritual (3), Dark Ritual (4), Ad Nauseam (5) in response crack LED for BBB. Party time.

nerd_party.jpg

Empty the Warrens (16)
    Infernal Tutor (14)
    Burning Wish (12)
    City of Brass
    Gemstone Mine
    Chrome Mox
    Lotus Petal
    Burning Wish (10)
    Serum Visions (9)
    Silence (8)
    Silence (7)
    Infernal Tutor (5)
    Infernal Tutor (3)
    Brainstorm (2)
    Gosshhh I just need LED. What are you doing to me, deck?
    Ponder (1)
    Burning Wish > loss

I thought that TES is able to and for the kill on turn one with BBB floating but maybe I am not that experienced as I thought.

Boarding action: none, I don’t know what he is playing. At this point I try to convince my enemy to intentionally draw which he does. Strange enough that the judge gave me a win for this round but hey no one cared. 

1-5-1
    Dice rolls won: 3

Round 4 – UGB Homebrew

Game 1

I win the dice rolls and decide to let my opp dude start to play because throughout the tournament I was very unlucky with the pairings and the outcome of the games where I played first.

2 Gemstone Mine
    1 City of Brass
    1 Serum Visions
    1 Burning Wish
    1 Ad Nauseam
    1 Silence

I ask if is score is 1-2 and he says that some guy dropped in favour of real life and in consequence he has to play the last round of the tournament while having 0-3. He lost all of his rounds? Should be easy to win against him! Conclusion is conclusion and sometimes wrong but sometimes true. He goes USea > Thoughtseize picking my Wish. I draw an Infernal Tutor for the round, land a Mine and pass. He plays Bayou, Hymn me and hits Infernal and Visions = lucky guy. I start thinking about going off in the next couple of turns but he has Shaman/Delver clock and I figure it out that it is a better decision to concede at this point and to not give my opponent some extra information about my deck.

Boarding action:
    -3 Brainstorm
    +3 Abrupt Decay, jey
    I want to destroy his Delvers and in order to do so I need some mighty cc2 removal although it is hard to support sometimes against Wasteland decks.

Game 2

Spread it out, dude.

2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Lion’s Eye Diamond
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Gemstone Mine
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Serum Visions

It is awesome, I have starting mana, a win condition and some library manipulation. I go first and play Visions via Mine drawing an amazing Rite of Flame (EtW gets better and better) and scrying some random shitty cards away. (Sorry, dude but you are gonna to be dead soon.) He lands a Delver and I peek at my Decays waiting to deal with this guy. On my turn I use the Petal and a Mine counter to destroy his greedy scientist and pass the turn. He then deploys pressure personalized by another Delver of Secrets and Deathrite Shaman. I pass the turn due to being one mana short from the unprotected kill. In the end I don’t want to lose too many words on this game because I acted like a farmer giving the easy win away.

1-7-1
    Dice rolls won: 4

Some impressions:
    I hope that you have enjoyed my short report. Special thanks go to my Legacy crew that supplied me with the cards I needed in order to play TES. I really like the one off Visions because Brainstorm tends to lock this deck and Vision does not. I think I will play some more TES in the future because as you could read in my report it is pretty consistent in winning die rolls which is an important factor in Legacy.
    I would like to hear some feed-back and maybe if you wish I can provide you with further TES reports from the liver. But till then: Keep on storming!!!

Re: Liver of the Storm - Legacy Tournament Report

M1G1 - Keep
    M1G2 - Mull

M2G1 - Keep, Mull the 2nd
    M2G2 - Keep, I'm surprised you were BS locked, You had turn 2 10 gobs

M3G1 - Keep, I think you should of stopped at 3 life and dropped 20 gobs on him. That usually gets there.

M4G1 - Keep
    M4G2 - Mull

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Northern Ireland

Almost wasted my time typing a reply as I read this; before I realised it was a troll. Figure I may as well post what I have:

-----

Firstly, welcome! I enjoyed reading your report. I sure wish I could have 10/20 player legacy events in the back of a bar.

I disagree that Brainstorm is bad with only 3 fetchlands - it's only worse and still crucial to this deck. For the sake of argument however, let's say you are correct:

What do you mean when you speak about Serum Visions being a Magma Jet? Am I missing something? Also, why run Serum Visions when Preordain is legal?

Quote Originally Posted by vercadium View Post
    Almost wasted my time typing a reply as I read this; before I realised it was a troll.
    I don't know what you mean. If this report harms somebody or is provocative it was not on purpose. My writing style is also influenced by other people's reports which seem to be
    very hip at the moment.

Firstly, welcome! I enjoyed reading your report. I sure wish I could have 10/20 player legacy events in the back of a bar.
    Thank you. Since we don't have another location we play in a backroom of a bar. That does not mean that we meet there spontaneous :P

I disagree that Brainstorm is bad with only 3 fetchlands - it's only worse and still crucial to this deck. For the sake of argument however, let's say you are correct:

What do you mean when you speak about Serum Visions being a Magma Jet? Am I missing something? Also, why run Serum Visions when Preordain is legal?
    Maybe you are right but I simply wanted to test Visions. Paper magic is more and more an issue of card availability and I just couldn't get some cards I would have like to play or at least test.

Preordain is strictly better in comparison to serum visions. Pricewise, artwise, and ability wise (the entire package.)

I would rather die than keep a hand with triple chrome mox in a mull to 6 unless the other 3 cards were dark rit, dark rit, ad nauseam. That's a snap mull.

Brainstorm is ABSURD in storm combo. Storm uses brainstorm better than any deck in the format. I can't count the number of times I have went brainstorm with a hand that isn't close to killing the opponent into winning on the spot. The card is unreal good. While I don't wish ponder was brainstorm every time, there are those times when ponder looks at dark rit, LED, infernal tutor and I think to myself if only this were brainstorm/the opponent was dead.

As for Usea being too expensive, you already own 2...the exact number ANT plays in the grand majority of lists (I have seen 3 from time to time but very rarely.) I think you mean to say polluted delta as that deck needs 4 otherwise you're not playing an optimal list.

As for keeps? I would do this:

M1G1: Keep
    M1G2: Keep and imprint a brainstorm on chrome mox immediately into a ponder looking for land and business as double LED provides enough mana for any engine in the deck.
    M2G1: Keep. You have a turn 2 ponder into a potential turn 2 kill if you find LED + some other piece of fast mana and if you don't kill turn 2 you can infernal tutor for a rite of flame to kill on turn 3 very likely.
    M2G2: Keep, wait on brainstorming. Yes if you hit infernal or some busted crap you win. But I would rather be patient as if you brick off on brainstorm you're very dead, just like every other deck in legacy generally you don't want to get brainstorm locked for obvious reasons.

...And why on earth would you board decays against a deck without hatebears? You aren't a control deck. TES is pretty bad at being a control deck. And you cut brainstorm for it...just no.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Wow! My reports are now a parody and/or used for troll posts? Must be famous...
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Blub.
    Oct 2010
    Germany

OP is bad and should feel bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    Are you guys fucking serious? Like really?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Wow! My reports are now a parody and/or used for troll posts? Must be famous...
    I do not want to attack or make fun of you. I don not see the point of me being a troll since this report is not more or less of a troll post than some other stuff that is pusblished on this site.
    I have read through a lot of reports here on the source before I registered myself.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Wow! My reports are now a parody and/or used for troll posts?
    I sure hope it's an attempt to a joke. If not, I'm afraid we have found the world's worst Storm player.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Yall need to chill out and stop being a bunch of mouth breathing, neck beard elitists. I'm pretty sure English isn't this persons native language(or they suck at spelling, w.e), and is clearly new to playing Storm and probably blue in general. But that doesn't give you the right to attack said person.

The funniest part of the report in my mind is the opening line in the parentheses.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ritual View Post
    M1G2: Keep and imprint a brainstorm on chrome mox immediately into a ponder looking for land and business as double LED provides enough mana for any engine in the deck.
    I think you're probably right. I said I would mull this but if you find business in the top 3 you can float it then crack LEDs while your second ponder is on the stack.

Thanks to the people giving me advice on how to play this deck.

And again, I want to mention that apart from my sloppy spelling (should pay more attention to it) the content of it is a filigreed reproduction of an Legacy event.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    Yall need to chill out and stop being a bunch of mouth breathing, neck beard elitists. I'm pretty sure English isn't this persons native language(or they suck at spelling, w.e), and is clearly new to playing Storm and probably blue in general. But that doesn't give you the right to attack said person.

The funniest part of the report in my mind is the opening line in the parentheses.
    Except the part between the list and the picture just doesn't make any sense in the slightest. What's so funny about the misspelling of a random alias I created in '96 and didn't bother to ever change?
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Mar 2013
    Brazil

Wow, Lemnear really got mad at this guy posting a thread inspired in him.

I think he's just a fan that isn't ashamed (or hasn't the proper sense) of posting a tourny report, regardless of his skills.

I seriously don't see the need for such aggression towards him.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by wooboy11 View Post
    Wow, Lemnear really got mad at this guy posting a thread inspired in him.

I think he's just a fan that isn't ashamed (or hasn't the proper sense) of posting a tourny report, regardless of his skills.

I seriously don't see the need for such aggression towards him.
    bro he's trollin. look at the pic....
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

This reminds me of the report of the guy piloting UW Turbofog in Legacy, complete with a huge primer. A friend of mine actually built that deck because of it.

Ergo: better get your foil Serum Visions people!
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Mar 2010
    Amsterdam

Obvious troll is a little too obvious.
    37th GP Ams'11 | 80th GP Stras '13 | 5th BoM Paris '13 | 12th GP Lille '15

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    This reminds me of the report of the guy piloting UW Turbofog in Legacy, complete with a huge primer. A friend of mine actually built that deck because of it.

Ergo: better get your foil Serum Visions people!
    LOLZ! (I hate stupid internet abbreviations, but this one applies). That post got three people that I know of in my area to build and play that deck. Two came to their senses pretty quickly, one kept trying to convince himself the deck was good and played it for months. I should find that thread and necro it...

Mar 2010
    Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by 'Nilla Pac View Post
    LOLZ! (I hate stupid internet abbreviations, but this one applies). That post got three people that I know of in my area to build and play that deck. Two came to their senses pretty quickly, one kept trying to convince himself the deck was good and played it for months. I should find that thread and necro it...
    Is it this one?
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-with-turbofog
    37th GP Ams'11 | 80th GP Stras '13 | 5th BoM Paris '13 | 12th GP Lille '15

I feel that I have to state again that I don't want to make fun of someone nor do I want to "troll".
    On the other hand, I must admit that some parts of the report (e.g. LED picture) serve the amusement which make a tournament report readable.
    Nonetheless the rounds I am describing in this report occured in reality and please excuse me if my playstyle may lacks experience or professionality.
    And with this confession I am ahead of some other reports. I am indeed a big fan of Lemnaer's reports and enjoy reading them (Where is Heart of the Storm 6? Can't wait any longer).

Thread Information